shape
carat
color
clarity

My 1st Time: Old European Diamond Advice!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your wisdom! I think that's where I'm having the most trouble as of right now, is trying to find that fine line of showcasing a white OEC, but also giving her something that is larger than 1 ct. Potentially something roughly 2 ct in size. I'm not sure why, but 2 ct is engraved (no pun intended) in my mind for some reason. And I'm willing to sacrifice some of the color and clarity to give her a larger diamond. But at what point am I crossing the line, and giving her a diamond that she'd prefer smaller in size, and clearer in color? That's the dilemma I'm currently facing.

So, in your opinion, It'd be best to stay at a K or above?

I am not rocky, but, I would just say look around. She fell in love with the Ring Concierge ring, correct? The RC original ring (Nicole's personal engagement ring) is an L color. If you look on her IG feed, you can see her stack it with many very white modern cut bands etc. I think if that contrast hasn't bothered your intended, then you can safely look at some lower colored stones. The thread linked above to the "show me your MNO stones" should be very helpful. Here is my own antique cushion, which is an N color. 5E360120-78EB-47D5-BBEF-07126A1CEAE2.jpeg 6A937A86-CB11-4FB9-9EC1-F71851E74B44.jpeg

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Let me ask all of you this, if you don't mind. With my partner wanting to go with a yellow gold setting, how should that effect my color choice when selecting a diamond? Or should it at all? Will something with a bit more color stand out more, or would it do the opposite and potentially look more white? Or does the setting color not really effect the perceived color of the diamond - meaning if a diamond has a colored hue, it will stand out no matter what?

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
J is the lowest I'd go. At a J, there will be some color from the side. But, a well selected setting can help mask it. The ability to see color is highly variable among people. Did you look at the LAD stone I posted?

I did, it's absolutely gorgeous. It's on the verge of being over my budget (once I factor in the setting code, which is still TBD), but I really enjoy it. I have it saved as a potential option. Adam at OWD ran out of time with me today, but is going to pick back up with me tomorrow to show off additional stones.

With the Ring Concierge also replying back to my note, I'll be curious to see what they'll come back with. Although their customer service has already left a bit of a negative impression.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Your question about a warmer color stone in yellow gold setting is a common one, with differing opinions. But if you look at the prongs on the setting you are looking at, they are white , probably platinum. The rest of the ring is yellow gold. This is commonly done, platinum prongs/head with yellow gold shanks. Something to keep in mind as you think about settings. Personally I prefer warmer stones with a white metal, at least the metal that's closest to the stone.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not rocky, but, I would just say look around. She fell in love with the Ring Concierge ring, correct? The RC original ring (Nicole's personal engagement ring) is an L color. If you look on her IG feed, you can see her stack it with many very white modern cut bands etc. I think if that contrast hasn't bothered your intended, then you can safely look at some lower colored stones. The thread linked above to the "show me your MNO stones" should be very helpful. Here is my own antique cushion, which is an N color. 5E360120-78EB-47D5-BBEF-07126A1CEAE2.jpeg 6A937A86-CB11-4FB9-9EC1-F71851E74B44.jpeg

Just saying again. I love antique diamonds and wear several low colors. One is probably in the P or Q range. I adore them. I love the warmth and actually prefer brown tint over yellow (although grey is my holy grail).

But, as a gift for someone with untested color preference, I would not suggest a stone with a lot of warmth. For an OEC, that is usually GIA K and below. Yes, RC ring is an L, but photographs of it never show the warmth clearly. In the case of old cuts, the buyer does not have the luxury of an easy upgrade program like those offered for modern rounds by Whiteflash and HighPerformanceDiamonds (plus several other vendors).

The exception is Victor Canera's newly cut OECs, which may offer a compromise. They are precision cut, he offers a 21-day return window and lifetime tradeup (100% value toward stone of higher value). He also offers a good buyback in the first year. So, if the poster wants to play with lower colors, I'd look at his stones. They are a bit more per carat, but that additional protections offer real value. His settings are hand-forged and TDF. I'll note that his lighting shows the faceting well, but under shows the rainbow showers you'd see under natural light. He does not have any K or lower right now, but it would be worth an inquiry.

OEC: https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104099118006-1.511-j-vs2-ideal-estimated-old-european-cut; 7.11x7.16x4.79
Old Cushion: https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/7ln6el-1.550-i-vs1-ideal-antique-cushion; 7.20x6.57x4.54

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
After doing some additional digging around, I've actually learned that my girlfriend is a big fan of the OMC and its "personality," and she prefers it over the OEC when it has a round appearance - very similar to that of Nicole's personal ring. With that information in hand, I've gone back to RC and told them my budget was $13k (I can increase it if need be, but I'd prefer not to), and that I'd like to see their options for OEC and OMC with color ranges no lower than a J or K - and a K may be pushing it.

I'm going to go back to Adam at OWD and give him the same information. At the end of the day, I think I'd slightly prefer color over size, so that may be the determining factor.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Just saying again. I love antique diamonds and wear several low colors. One is probably in the P or Q range. I adore them. I love the warmth and actually prefer brown tint over yellow (although grey is my holy grail).

But, as a gift for someone with untested color preference, I would not suggest a stone with a lot of warmth. For an OEC, that is usually GIA K and below. Yes, RC ring is an L, but photographs of it never show the warmth clearly. In the case of old cuts, the buyer does not have the luxury of an easy upgrade program like those offered for modern rounds by Whiteflash and HighPerformanceDiamonds (plus several other vendors).

The exception is Victor Canera's newly cut OECs, which may offer a compromise. They are precision cut, he offers a 21-day return window and lifetime tradeup (100% value toward stone of higher value). He also offers a good buyback in the first year. So, if the poster wants to play with lower colors, I'd look at his stones. They are a bit more per carat, but that additional protections offer real value. His settings are hand-forged and TDF. I'll note that his lighting shows the faceting well, but under shows the rainbow showers you'd see under natural light. He does not have any K or lower right now, but it would be worth an inquiry.

OEC: https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104099118006-1.511-j-vs2-ideal-estimated-old-european-cut; 7.11x7.16x4.79
Old Cushion: https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/7ln6el-1.550-i-vs1-ideal-antique-cushion; 7.20x6.57x4.54

I'm actually a fan of both of those options - and really enjoy the price tag on the Cushion cut. The lifetime trade up is also a really great touch!

You may have mentioned this, and if so forgive me. But does Victor create custom settings as well - aka, if I selected one of those diamonds, would he be able to mock up something similar to that of the RC style I shared?

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
What is your budget for the diamond roughly?
found this which is a higher colour grade, above 2ct and what I guessed was in budget:
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamond...=PRICE&shape=EU&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

That's a great questions, I guess it will all depend on the pricing for the setting? I love that diamond. It's gorgeous.

For all in the group, after learning that I'm looking into OMC as well now, what are your thoughts on this diamond? I'll have Adam send me photos, but wanted to get your initial opinions based on the specs: http://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamond...WEIGHT&shape=OM&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 9.32.47 AM.png

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a great questions, I guess it will all depend on the pricing for the setting? I love that diamond. It's gorgeous.

For all in the group, after learning that I'm looking into OMC as well now, what are your thoughts on this diamond? I'll have Adam send me photos, but wanted to get your initial opinions based on the specs: http://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamond...WEIGHT&shape=OM&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 9.32.47 AM.png

Definitely need photos and video. Can’t tell anything from stats! SI2 probably won’t be eye clean. I would see what he comes back with in your desired budget and color preferences.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Would echo @leukolenos comments to wait for Adam’s recommendations.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really good point about length of return policy. If I am seeing an OEC IRL, 3 days is not enough for me to get to know the stone.

I agree for viewing color and it's 'moods'.
I disagree for facet pattern. If you have a specific facet pattern you are looking for- it's quickly evident if vendors photos show what appears to be a petal type pattern. In real life the eye sees windmill pattern. Petal type pattern can be duplicated only with magnifying to a certain depth.
I don't believe I've seen this mentioned on PS before. I have weird eyesight tho. Maybe just me?

Khall0204

Rough_Rock

I do like that one as well! I had actually found it earlier. The more I watch the video of its sparkle outside, the more I enjoy it...it is definitely a contender.

Edit: This is probably my top choice, as of right now.

I'm waiting to hear back from Adam, but when he has time, I'm going to ask him to send a video of this selection as well. It looks a bit yellow in the photo, but I'm curious to see how it looks via video:

http://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamond...WEIGHT&shape=EU&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Khall0204 I don’t know if these photos will help you at all. These were taken in a beigy room so they are picking up that color. Old cuts pick up the colors around them, so cool! The ring on my pinky in the first photo is an F color antique cushion 1.84ct with flowery facets. On my ring finger is an M color OEC 2.81ct. There is a 7 color grade difference between these two stones. I LOVE them both for their different characteristics. Antique stones need to be experienced with your eyes, not by the numbers. Good luck and enjoy the process!
5372DD20-67DC-46CE-BA9E-7854BE1CCF68.jpeg D699FE09-09FD-42DF-AD97-5E79588584DB.jpeg

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
@Khall0204 I don’t know if these photos will help you at all. These were taken in a beigy room so they are picking up that color. Old cuts pick up the colors around them, so cool! The ring on my pinky in the first photo is an F color antique cushion 1.84ct with flowery facets. On my ring finger is an M color OEC 2.81ct. There is a 7 color grade difference between these two stones. I LOVE them both for their different characteristics. Antique stones need to be experienced with your eyes, not by the numbers. Good luck and enjoy the process!
5372DD20-67DC-46CE-BA9E-7854BE1CCF68.jpeg D699FE09-09FD-42DF-AD97-5E79588584DB.jpeg

This absolutely helps! Those are gorgeous. I actually really enjoy the color of the M stone! I'm still going to shoot for a J, but I think you've convinced me that it's okay to check out a K as well. Thank you so much for sharing.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
99F62753-66B1-4795-9081-DD73E04AEA4C.jpeg 99C2F3CC-575E-4A30-AA0E-A25B3DE8BD33.jpeg 97A529F8-A01C-4AAB-B047-B14170DA6C7F.jpeg Here’s my GIA K vs GIA F. As a side note, and not to confuse things, but sometimes one lab’s J is another lab’s K, so I agree with the above statement to buy with your eyes.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
99F62753-66B1-4795-9081-DD73E04AEA4C.jpeg 99C2F3CC-575E-4A30-AA0E-A25B3DE8BD33.jpeg 97A529F8-A01C-4AAB-B047-B14170DA6C7F.jpeg Here’s my GIA K vs GIA F. As a side note, and not to confuse things, but sometimes one lab’s J is another lab’s K, so I agree with the above statement to buy with your eyes.
Beautiful rings NKOTB. Good point about labs! Mine are both GIA graded stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the Victor canera option due to the generous policies and his incredible designs. You get both an old cut and his precision cutting, which is best of both worlds imho

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do like that one as well! I had actually found it earlier. The more I watch the video of its sparkle outside, the more I enjoy it...it is definitely a contender.

Edit: This is probably my top choice, as of right now.
:appl:I'm glad that @NKOTB beat me to the punch bc I was going to suggest the same stone. Glad to hear that it's a top choice right now!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you I would strongly consider this one:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-10-l-m-vvs2-oec.246343/

If I were you I would ask the seller (a PSer) to have it appraised/certified to make sure the specs are approximately what's advertised. It looks like a very pretty stone at an outstanding price. Obviously you don't have return options (unless you ask the poster if you can buy it through LAD), but still worth considering IMHO.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am biased. I have purchased from OWD and had settings done by VC. If I could have purchased both from VC I would have. His settings are perfection. And his CA stones are to die for.
FYI. Well cut Old cuts face up very white in many environments.
GIA H MRB v GIA K OEC
10E3325F-7C89-4688-9196-8C370250F638.jpeg
8AE5E170-6369-4FB1-B9EB-9FBE8A9EA593.jpeg

GIA K OEC. GIA H antique emerald cut
7F4145E1-25CA-4C7F-86AB-316A60AA5E4E.jpeg

GIA K OEC GIA E GIA I emerald cuts
8F5E9702-046F-4FF9-BAEC-9CFA1FC07A47.jpeg

Last edited:

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you I would strongly consider this one:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-10-l-m-vvs2-oec.246343/

If I were you I would ask the seller (a PSer) to have it appraised/certified to make sure the specs are approximately what's advertised. It looks like a very pretty stone at an outstanding price. Obviously you don't have return options (unless you ask the poster if you can buy it through LAD), but still worth considering IMHO.

Yes! I was wavering about self-promotion, but since @lovedogs brought this up....

Everyone here has given you wonderful advice. I think you would be able to get a beautiful stone and setting though Adam or Erica or JbG. BUT if you are open to a less conventional approach to save some $$$.... I would be happy to work something out with you!

Since you are new to old cut stones, I agree that I would clear it with your lady before going below a K, and this stone is L or M. I love my N, but it is all personal taste. Also, without the diamond knowledge, buying uncerted or without a return/upgrade policy could definitely make you nervous, so I don't want to push.

BUT if you are serious, I am in LA, so I would be open to driving down to Carlsbad to get the stone GIA certified. It has been appraised while mounted, but a full certification will be much more secure. Or we could work through LAD for the extra peace of mind. OR you could go with any of the other stunning stones recommended. :) :) :)

Best of luck no matter what!

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@LLJsmom stunning collection!! :kiss2: I aspire to have a similar collection one day :D

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like a dream day then :love:;)2 Your OEC is seriously drop dead gorgeous though! Prior to PS I never gave antique cuts much thought, I had seen a few and can't say I cared for them. Well since PS .... they are on my bucket list!! They are mesmerising.

I am also intrigued by their ability to look so very much whiter than an MRB in the same colour grade, I wish I could understand from a technical point why that is.

I know the lighting must have had an impact, but nonetheless I remember this thread really interesting me:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vintage-diamond-colors.245709/

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Yes! I was wavering about self-promotion, but since @lovedogs brought this up....

Everyone here has given you wonderful advice. I think you would be able to get a beautiful stone and setting though Adam or Erica or JbG. BUT if you are open to a less conventional approach to save some $$$.... I would be happy to work something out with you!

Since you are new to old cut stones, I agree that I would clear it with your lady before going below a K, and this stone is L or M. I love my N, but it is all personal taste. Also, without the diamond knowledge, buying uncerted or without a return/upgrade policy could definitely make you nervous, so I don't want to push.

BUT if you are serious, I am in LA, so I would be open to driving down to Carlsbad to get the stone GIA certified. It has been appraised while mounted, but a full certification will be much more secure. Or we could work through LAD for the extra peace of mind. OR you could go with any of the other stunning stones recommended. :) :) :)

Best of luck no matter what!

This is a beautiful stone! I wish you were a bit closer to the east coat as I'd love to check it out in person. To be completely honest, my only hesitation is the color of the stone. I don't have the luxury of being able to run the idea by my SO to gauge her thoughts on the stone color. I'm supposed to spend some more time with Adam today, but I am going to keep your option in mind. Like I said, the size is fantastic, my only concern is the color - which may or may not even be a big deal! I just wish I could see it in person to decide! This is definitely a great option though.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Update for you all. I've been talking with Ring Concierge (RC), because as you may recall, their signature antique setting is my SO's favorite, and I wanted to get your opinions on the option she provided.

RC has informed me that they have one diamond within my budget range that has excellent measurements, It's currently un certified by the GIA, but is an Old European Cut that their gemologist has provided a range of grading of M/VS. With my setting selection, they apparently cannot set any diamonds under 2 ct, but this diamond's measurements will work.

According to RC, if I want the diamond certified, it is $300 in addition and the diamond alone is: 1.85 carats M/VS range 7.98mm (a 2 ct is 8mm) - for a price of $9800. The setting is also $2900.

IMG_0943.jpg

Here is a video of it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw2U048_tIpWVlBJdlFWN2NHQlhramRJcEE5UGNjWEI1M0U4

For the stone, I feel that the price may be a bit high based on some of the OWD options I've seen. However, my SO is so in love with this setting, that I'm wondering if I should proceed as I know that's what she wants? I asked about potentially sending RC a stone and having it set, and they informed me that they do not set customer supplied stones...

Adam at OWC has a couple of options that I'm enjoying, including this
2.08 CT N/VS1 OEC. It's priced at $8,424. Here's a video of it - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m0qwwZ16ondpK-en_Fy8YI9atfxnallk. The color does have me slightly concerned, as I want to make sure it doesn't appear too yellow in different lighting situations, but I'm asking for additional videos.

My main question now is, do I go with the RC option, because my SO loves that setting? Is the stone they sent worth the price tag? Or, do I potentially work closer with Adam / other vendors to create something similar all while potentially saving $ or getting more bang for my buck with the stone choice?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results