shape
carat
color
clarity

Mint Green Tourmaline Setting

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this emerald cut mint green tourmaline from Jeff White yesterday. It hasn't even arrived yet but I'm already thinking about settings.

From Jeff's site:
Weight: 2.99 ct.
Size: 9.39 x 6.74 mm
Clarity: VS
Treatments: None Known
Comments: The soft hues of blue, green, and the delicate combinations in between are a hallmark of fine Afghani tourmaline. This stunning example is from some "old stock" rough that I've had tucked back for many years. Just a few little inclusions short of flawless, it is really hard not to fall in love with this classic shape and stunning color.

TML064f.jpg TML064s.jpg TML064b.jpg TML064hand.jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First option is a Tiffany Victoria-esque combo of pear & marquise sides. I imposed the tourmaline over an image of a Victor Canera aqua ring:
2019-01-16_9-55-05.jpg

The other option I'm considering is to go with classic traps. I like the proportions of this ring made by J. Birnbach (tourmaline pasted over it):
2019-01-16_9-55-17.jpg

I'd love to hear your thoughts! :wavey:

Attachments

• 2019-01-16_9-29-48.jpg
    2019-01-16_9-29-48.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 16

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the first design

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both, but think the first is more unique. But you really can't go wrong. So glad a PSsr snagged that stone!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @bludiva, @pwsg07. & @lovedogs! Jeff also cut the aqua in the first setting so I asked him if he still remembers the measurements. I don't know if I'll need to scale down the side stones to fit my finger or not. That could still look ok; it just makes the tourmaline look more prominent.

(pardon the hack job on the image)
upload_2019-1-16_11-47-11.png

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on scoring one of the prettiest pieces in the last gem scoop. It was, by far, my favorite. :kiss2:

I love both setting options but the top one makes the tourmaline stand out more imo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prefer the first one by a huge margin. Scaled down but somewhere between the original and your tweaked scale down.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are gorgeous settings for your lovely tourmaline. I think if the ring will be worn for dressy occasions the first one. If the ring will be worn more frequently with more casual clothes I would go with the second.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
WOW, I love the tourm! I'd go for the traps, though--such a classic look.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chrono it'll be interesting to see what size they'll be scaled to. If it's a lot, I can switch out the marquise on the edges and replace it with MRBs, like this:
upload_2019-1-16_13-46-20.png

@LisaRN That's a good point, though I've been known to throw on a cocktail ring during the day because why not! :D

@Indylady The traps would be different from anything I have. The first design is a dead ringer for the Tiffany ring I already have (ruby pic above).

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A25FA6CC-A94B-4E5A-A225-7A41099F5764.jpeg

So pretty! I like the marquises and pears and I wonder if anyone has any more variations on that design to share.

Here’s my spinel with more of a butterfly look, but you could also just use the marquises if the rounds on the outsides would make it too wide. What size ring are you making, @JPie?

Last edited:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really, really like the first one, but the second may be more wearable. I agree with @LisaRN--maybe go with the first, if you want a special occasion ring and the second if you want to wear it in a larger variety of settings/occasions.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! I like the marquises and pears and I wonder if anyone has variations on that design to share. What size ring are you making, @JPie ?
It'll be a size 6.5 for my right hand, middle finger, to get more real estate over wearing it on my 5.5 ring finger.

I found these other variations with crazy big center stones:
upload_2019-1-16_14-2-43.png

This one has a window so big, you can drive a truck through it. :lol: It's interesting that they went with princess cuts with color contrast.
upload_2019-1-16_14-3-7.png

@natasha-cupcake I think it's safe to say I'm leaning towards the first!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ruby ring is so pretty, @JPie ! The traps might be fun if you are looking for a totally different design from your ruby ring. Also the traps bring out the straight sides of the tourmaline cut more.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I like the square or French cut accent stones on the windowed one too!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissyBeaucoup your spinel is so pretty! I'm counting on the large emerald cut of the tourmaline to make it distinctive from the ruby.

And yes, I think they did a good job of complementing the weird shape of the windowed tourmaline with those square sides in the kite setting. It looks balanced to me.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@JPie You’re right—with the difference in color & cut, those will look like two totally different rings. I love the flower petal effect!

That tourmaline is so lovely. It’s the stone I admired most in his recent posting. I’m so happy it went to you!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie You’re right—with the difference in color & cut, those will look like two totally different rings. I love the flower petal effect!

That tourmaline is so lovely. It’s the stone I admired most in his recent posting. I’m so happy it went to you!

Thank you! :kiss2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline can be “chippy,” so whatever you decide, I would protect the vulnerable corners.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline can be “chippy,” so whatever you decide, I would protect the vulnerable corners.
That's good to know, thank you!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Tiffany marquise one too, though would just make sure you have the finger real estate. I recently got a similar sized lab emerald and am pretty sure that setting would end up super blingy on me assuming I had the width to fit all the elements in those proportions.
452995EB-F333-466C-AF32-B16A0CA3E2A2.jpeg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Tiffany marquise one too, though would just make sure you have the finger real estate. I recently got a similar sized lab emerald and am pretty sure that setting would end up super blingy on me assuming I had the width to fit all the elements in those proportions.
452995EB-F333-466C-AF32-B16A0CA3E2A2.jpeg

I think there’s a decent amount of real estate, but I’m fine with scaling down the melee to fit. In any case I’m down with super blingy! :mrgreen2:

E997BB24-9E37-4B0F-A170-6148419AB53C.jpeg

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My tourmaline had to be replaced due to clouding..I guess I did not understand how to clean it properly. (Use Soapy water. Dawn). ..yes..they are “chippy”. And porous. Love mine but I no longer wear it every day.

Your stone is gorgeous.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think there’s a decent amount of real estate, but I’m fine with scaling down the melee to fit. In any case I’m down with super blingy! :mrgreen2:

I was wondering how the colour would translate from Jeff’s photos. The colour in your handshot is amazing - if it’s like that IRL, you are one lucky lady!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It’s gorgeous! I love that beautiful minty green color and it looks perfect with your skin tone. You’re a lucky girl. :love: I can’t wait to see how this ring turns out.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
My tourmaline had to be replaced due to clouding..I guess I did not understand how to clean it properly. (Use Soapy water. Dawn). ..yes..they are “chippy”. And porous. Love mine but I no longer wear it every day.

Your stone is gorgeous.

That is interesting to know. That tourmalines are porous. That is not a good thing? They can cloud?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results