shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Studs - OEC or MRB?

lb0424

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of pulling the trigger for my first pair of diamond studs. Looking at the 1.2-1.5 tcw due to budget. With that size, how would OEC versus MRB compare? Does someone have both styles and can post photos to show the difference?

Also, I am getting confused about all the different earring backings...jumbo back, La Pousette back, etc. Can someone help a novice like me to understand the pros and cons of each style?

Thank you so much!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on what flavor you like personally.

Do you own other OECs? If not, you’ll probably want mrbs. I was debating this myself and ultimately decided to go OEC because I’m an old cut lover at heart and own old cuts almost exclusively.

MRBs are more widely available and you’ll have options to upgrade, should you not want 1.2 or 1.5 to be your ultimate goal size. I would have preferred to go smaller and build up size incrementally with an upgrade policy, but I really wanted old cuts so had to stretch my budget to get to goal size sooner rather than later.

Regarding backs-
Jumbo backs are as the name suggests much larger. They can help hold up your studs so they don’t drop as much.
La pousette backs have a sort of locking mechanism to make it less likely for you to lose a stud- however some don’t like them because the posts are slightly thicker. When I tried them I found them uncomfortable.
Here’s a link from WF explaining the different types of backs:
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-di...t-are-the-best-earrings-backs-to-buy-1240.htm

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I agree. I prefer old cuts and I have a pair of modern studs I bought years ago that don’t get worn now. I think that figuring out your preference is key. Do you want larger chunkier facets that can look more like pastel flashes of color? Or do you prefer modern stones that will behave with more glitter/splinter sparkle- that’s how modern stones look to my eye. It’s all preference. If you are color sensitive, it can be harder to find a pair of matched old cuts in a high color too. For matched old cuts, I’d recommend Old World Diamonds.

On backs, I’d avoid screw posts. I have those and dislike them. Uncomfortable.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back and forth but decided to go with MRB - old cuts tend to be a little deeper so can sometimes face up a little small for the carat weight and I wanted to maximize size. Also wanted H-I color, and that's a little hard to find in old cuts. Both are beautiful though, I love old cuts as well, my ering is an OEC. It really does come down to personal preference. Really no right or wrong here!

I can't wear screwbacks, they make my piercings sore. My earrings came with some kind of pousette back (Blue Nile) but I switched to this back - got them on amazon and they work well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Lifte...r=8-10&keywords=earring+backs+for+droopy+ears

Last edited:

lb0424

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the replies. It was really insightful.

Happy new year, everyone!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'd go French - these things are best seen from some distance IHMO like studs always are; I am not seeing any listed in the right size & have no clue how/if such things happen WWW

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy New Year to you @lb0424! Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up getting.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both MRB & OEC studs. The OEC is on the far left and the MRB is in the middle:

E0C67D2B-A032-48B6-A070-E747C8555E83.jpeg 569588C9-151F-4A8C-A354-F421881B79ED.jpeg

I prefer the chunky, flowery facets of the OEC personally. They have La Pousette backs and I don’t find the post noticeably thicker than the MRB with regular friction backs. They feel very secure and I don’t worry about losing them like I used to with the friction backs.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I love this look. What are the specs on the stones.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this look. What are the specs on the stones.
The OEC is roughly .6 ct and 5.4 mm. The middle MRBs are probably .3 ish but they’re in the bank vault so I can’t check. The tiniest one is a crystal piercing stud. No idea what ct or mm. Sorry!

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much. I have 1.80 cts and just lordered 1.08 cts for second piercing. Hopefully they look as well proportional as these do.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @JPie, LOVE your OEC stud earrings! Do you mind telling me the colour please? I’m wondering how low I can go on colour without it looking too tinted. I’ve been browsing Whiteflash, BlueNile, James Allen and Oldworld diamonds for pairs but I’m feeling overwhelmed....:shock:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @JPie, LOVE your OEC stud earrings! Do you mind telling me the colour please? I’m wondering how low I can go on colour without it looking too tinted. I’ve been browsing Whiteflash, BlueNile, James Allen and Oldworld diamonds for pairs but I’m feeling overwhelmed....:shock:

Sure! Per David Klass, they are K color, SI1 clarity. The stones were taken from a broken antique brooch and found by Franziska on Etsy. They face up pretty white in person; in the previous photos I posted, the diamond is picking up blue from nearby aquarium lighting.
DKJPV_0717_STE-4.jpg
DKJPV_0717_STE-3.jpg

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @JPie that’s very helpful! :geek2:
They look awesome for K’s!!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
I am no expert on cut, etc. So MRB or OEC is up to you.
But I can weigh in on the backs of the studs. I have a little experience there.
Bought studs for my daughter with the friction back, well she lost one, the back came off, don't know how, but it was lost. I sold the other one and started over (what a nice dad!)
This time I put the LaPousette backs on them, they are like a clamp, just don't think you could lose one. An earlier post said the posts were large and uncomfortable, you will have to decide for yourself, my daughter never complained of that, said very comfy. I have not read other posts saying they were not comfortable.
As far as selection, I leave that up to experts. My recommendation is to contact Lesley at BGD and she will put pairs together for you. That is what I did. Best of luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results