shape
carat
color
clarity

The story of my ring's grading issue

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
@Lykame
Hi Lykame, I think 60% of time I prefer 2.14. As you guys said, both are already the top performers in terms of Fire/sparkle. I will say maybe they are the top 5 percentile of diamond we saw daily around us. I can see a very subtle difference in fire, and 2.28 is the slightly better one.
However, both are Color I which are not excellent in term of color system, probably more than half of diamonds around me have better color than I. I don't mind the color that much as long as it was properly graded and I am paying what i should pay.
Logically speaking, I shall give up a bit fire to treat for color. Although I love fire so so much.

However, I am facing the dilemma: Under moderate nature lighting(no direct lighting source) 2.14 is whiter. However, sometimes under office lighting(typically office white LEDs on the ceiling) I felt the 2.28 is whiter?
Any reason?

IMG_3600.JPG

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
So, the differences between the two may be the different chemical makeup of each one. Even though they are both technically I color, doesn't mean the composition that gives them color is the same. I've understood diamonds to have different elements within the carbon, depending on where they're mined.
I had a freaky diamond that fluoresced a bright alien green, simply because of its elemental property. It was wicked white in the sun ( unlike strong blue fluor). I think you should wear one at a time and see how it just plain 'feels' .... there's an energy/emotional connection that's important related to this.

this , for starters:https://sciencing.com/elements-make-up-diamonds-6609000.html

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Lykame
Hi Lykame, I think 60% of time I prefer 2.14. As you guys said, both are already the top performers in terms of Fire/sparkle. I will say maybe they are the top 5 percentile of diamond we saw daily around us. I can see a very subtle difference in fire, and 2.28 is the slightly better one.
However, both are Color I which are not excellent in term of color system, probably more than half of diamonds around me have better color than I. I don't mind the color that much as long as it was properly graded and I am paying what i should pay.
Logically speaking, I shall give up a bit fire to treat for color. Although I love fire so so much.

However, I am facing the dilemma: Under moderate nature lighting(no direct lighting source) 2.14 is whiter. However, sometimes under office lighting(typically office white LEDs on the ceiling) I felt the 2.28 is whiter?
Any reason?

IMG_3600.JPG

Is the colour bugging you? It sounds like it might be bugging you a bit?

Although you should do what you want, I think you have two options here. I think it sounds like the 2.14 appeals to you more, in which case get that, enjoy it for a while and in the future upgrade a little in colour if you realise colour continues to be important.

The other option is to look at the H colour diamonds that WhiteFlash currently have. That's a compromise between the original G you had and the Is you are currently looking at. I have had a look and they do have some in stock, but I have refrained from posting any of the options here as I think that detracts from the various points I'm trying to make in this post. No matter what diamond you end up choosing, there'll always be a compromise somewhere, they'll all have slightly different flavours of fire etc etc. The body colour of the H might be nearly on the I spectrum, and visually you may not really tell much of a difference, so what did you gain?

I strongly recommend looking at each diamond individually rather than comparing them side by side. I think side by side you'll always see that one has something that is better than the other and that's just going to be really confusing.

As an example, and to just share my experience (again, but in a touch more detail), I looked at two CBI diamonds side-by-side. They were both J colour, one was a 1.85 VS2 and the other a 1.87 SI1. The 1.87 was visually bigger to me and I preferred its flavour of fire, but it wasn't mind clean for me because it was an SI1. The 1.85, I think if I had seen it by itself I would have been enthralled by it. But I didn't, I had the two side-by-side, and there were things I preferred about the 1.87 and things I preferred about the 1.85. That is just the nature of any diamond, there's pretty much always going to be things you prefer about one over the other, and it's about being okay with that compromise. In the end, I got stuck, didn't get either, and ended up spending more money on a 2 carat J VS2. I then felt anxious and pondered an I instead, but that's an extra 4k and not worth it to me. I've compromised, but I'm happy with where I have compromised. Do you see?

Basically, you're compromising by going to an I, but are you actually happy with that compromise? Is your anxiety about the two different I diamonds' fire and brilliance actually just an anxiety about something else, like the actual body colour? You could find a slightly smaller higher coloured stone that is very firey (I mean they're all firey but you know what I mean). That takes me back to the option of thinking about H coloured diamonds, but you're still likely to see tint in an H depending on how colour sensitive you are.

Anyway, as I said, give each I coloured diamond their own opportunity alone, it might help put your feelings about them into perspective and allow you to stop micro-comparing them. If your anxiety about them is to do with something else, be honest and open with yourself about what that is.

What is truly going to allow this stone to be mind clean for you?

Anyway I know that was a poorly structured essay but I hope it was vaguely helpful. :geek2:

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
What does your intended say? Let him choose the diamond he would pick for you. My DH and I may look at stones together, but because, in effect, it's a gift from him, I find his final choice always has a certain magic to it. I trust his eye, just because he's the giver of the stone, and in some way reflects the "fire" of his gesture. That may be old-fashioned, but there may be something to that, ya know.
Reach back to the nuance of the whole engagement tradition, and think less critically. Go beyond stats and specs, and feel the diamond with your heart.
When DH proposed and I put on my engagement ring, I was too busy dancing around the house to pull out a loupe (or look a gift horse in the mouth).

Last edited:

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
What does your intended say? Let him choose the diamond he would pick for you. My DH and I may look at stones together, but because, in effect, it's a gift from him, I find his final choice always has a certain magic to it. I trust his eye, just because he's the giver of the stone, and in some way reflects the "fire" of his gesture. That may be old-fashioned, but there may be something to that, ya know.
Reach back to the nuance of the whole engagement tradition, and think less critically. Go beyond stats and specs, and feel the diamond with your heart.
When DH proposed and I put on my engagement ring, I was too busy dancing around the house to pull out a loupe (or look a gift horse in the mouth).

Bingo, I think that's the key here. Both are beautiful ACAs that you can't go wrong with! Each one on their own is a stunning stone and delivers in the top 1% of stones out on the market. Let your fiancé pick the final one and surprise you with it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the colour bugging you? It sounds like it might be bugging you a bit?

Although you should do what you want, I think you have two options here. I think it sounds like the 2.14 appeals to you more, in which case get that, enjoy it for a while and in the future upgrade a little in colour if you realise colour continues to be important.

The other option is to look at the H colour diamonds that WhiteFlash currently have. That's a compromise between the original G you had and the Is you are currently looking at. I have had a look and they do have some in stock, but I have refrained from posting any of the options here as I think that detracts from the various points I'm trying to make in this post. No matter what diamond you end up choosing, there'll always be a compromise somewhere, they'll all have slightly different flavours of fire etc etc. The body colour of the H might be nearly on the I spectrum, and visually you may not really tell much of a difference, so what did you gain?

I strongly recommend looking at each diamond individually rather than comparing them side by side. I think side by side you'll always see that one has something that is better than the other and that's just going to be really confusing.

As an example, and to just share my experience (again, but in a touch more detail), I looked at two CBI diamonds side-by-side. They were both J colour, one was a 1.85 VS2 and the other a 1.87 SI1. The 1.87 was visually bigger to me and I preferred its flavour of fire, but it wasn't mind clean for me because it was an SI1. The 1.85, I think if I had seen it by itself I would have been enthralled by it. But I didn't, I had the two side-by-side, and there were things I preferred about the 1.87 and things I preferred about the 1.85. That is just the nature of any diamond, there's pretty much always going to be things you prefer about one over the other, and it's about being okay with that compromise. In the end, I got stuck, didn't get either, and ended up spending more money on a 2 carat J VS2. I then felt anxious and pondered an I instead, but that's an extra 4k and not worth it to me. I've compromised, but I'm happy with where I have compromised. Do you see?

Basically, you're compromising by going to an I, but are you actually happy with that compromise? Is your anxiety about the two different I diamonds' fire and brilliance actually just an anxiety about something else, like the actual body colour? You could find a slightly smaller higher coloured stone that is very firey (I mean they're all firey but you know what I mean). That takes me back to the option of thinking about H coloured diamonds, but you're still likely to see tint in an H depending on how colour sensitive you are.

Anyway, as I said, give each I coloured diamond their own opportunity alone, it might help put your feelings about them into perspective and allow you to stop micro-comparing them. If your anxiety about them is to do with something else, be honest and open with yourself about what that is.

What is truly going to allow this stone to be mind clean for you?

Anyway I know that was a poorly structured essay but I hope it was vaguely helpful. :geek2:
I have to say I agree. My gut is saying you are not at peace with the color. I would suggest that you maybe consider trying a H and going down in size to stay within budget. There is nothing wrong with trading a little size for a bump in color. WF will be more than happy to find you maybe a high H. I definitely suggest you try it before committing. Take your time and don't rush the process. Sometimes you need to go through this process to figure out what your priorities really are.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to say I agree. My gut is saying you are not at peace with the color. I would suggest that you maybe consider trying a H and going down in size to stay within budget. There is nothing wrong with trading a little size for a bump in color. WF will be more than happy to find you maybe a high H. I definitely suggest you try it before committing. Take your time and don't rush the process. Sometimes you need to go through this process to figure out what your priorities really are.

Yes, sometimes diamonds look much different in store lighting compared with home lighting. It seems like she didn't see any difference in color while at WF, but that's a common scenario.

• Person looks at diamonds in jewelry store lighting and decides they all look equally white (because jewelry store lights have a lot of light in the blue spectrum to hide color).
  • Person gets the diamond home and starts to see a bit of color in the diamond that looked perfectly white at the jewelry store.
Not sure if this is the scenario here, but I agree that you should be completely satisfied with the diamond you choose. If you're happy with the color 95% of the time, but 5% of the time it bothers you, then it will keep nagging you throughout the entire time you own it. Better to get a diamond you're 100% satisfied with from the outset.

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
Yes, sometimes diamonds look much different in store lighting compared with home lighting. It seems like she didn't see any difference in color while at WF, but that's a common scenario.

• Person looks at diamonds in jewelry store lighting and decides they all look equally white (because jewelry store lights have a lot of light in the blue spectrum to hide color).
  • Person gets the diamond home and starts to see a bit of color in the diamond that looked perfectly white at the jewelry store.
Not sure if this is the scenario here, but I agree that you should be completely satisfied with the diamond you choose. If you're happy with the color 95% of the time, but 5% of the time it bothers you, then it will keep nagging you throughout the entire time you own it. Better to get a diamond you're 100% satisfied with from the outset.

I experienced this yesterday. Ready to purchase my WF G stone, I went to Jarads to test my color sensitivity and get my finger size. The salesperson showed me diamonds from e-j and they all looked white. I couldn’t see any color at all in any of them. However IRL, I’ve seen warmth in an I before (best friend recently got engaged). It’s not yellow but definitely a tint that’s noticeable.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I experienced this yesterday. Ready to purchase my WF G stone, I went to Jarads to test my color sensitivity and get my finger size. The salesperson showed me diamonds from e-j and they all looked white. I couldn’t see any color at all in any of them. However IRL, I’ve seen warmth in an I before (best friend recently got engaged). It’s not yellow but definitely a tint that’s noticeable.
The lights in those stores are optimized to make any (yes ANY) dud look great. In order to assess a diamond properly you need to take it away from the spot lights (near a window or outside)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any decision or update regarding your diamonds? Just wondering if you decided between the two stones or if you decided to wait for something else.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Is there any decision or update regarding your diamonds? Just wondering if you decided between the two stones or if you decided to wait for something else.
Hi everyone, thanks for all the warm help and sharp analysis along the way! This weekend, CBI also invited me and my fiancé to see their stones and I got a chance to see the Symphonie in real life, it's definitely breathtaking!!!! Even my fiancé said " woah this 3ct is much better!" I wish I recorded him and show him 10 years down the road, hahaha!

Today, I have finally decided:I will go with WhiteFlash the 2.14. Be my Valentine! Hopefully I can receive it with setting done before Valentine's Day!! :dance:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, Julyisjuly. Can’t wait to see pics when it’s done.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations S! I think that was a lovely decision! I can't wait to see it on your finger. It's going to be perfect!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! So happy you made the decision and hope you are super happy with it!

We are looking forward to pictures and videos of the finished thing!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations and thanks for updating us! Can't wait to see your finished ring! Please come back with lots and lots of pictures for us,

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on making a decision and being able to move forward. The 2.14 is gorgeous and will look awesome in the Symphonie.

Has Wink and his team confirmed they can meet the 2/14 deadline for you?

Can't wait to see the final pics.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! So happy you made the decision and hope you are super happy with it!

We are looking forward to pictures and videos of the finished thing!
Thank you Lykame!! Yup, I am super happy with my choice! I also felt relieved right after the decision made!

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on making a decision and being able to move forward. The 2.14 is gorgeous and will look awesome in the Symphonie.

Has Wink and his team confirmed they can meet the 2/14 deadline for you?

Can't wait to see the final pics.
Hi Sledge, thank you!!
After communication with both companies, it's just easier for me to go with WF 100%. WF will accommodate something similar between Symphonie and Vatche Royal crown, but not exactly same.
@Texas Leaguer I trust the WF bench could delivery the final product to meet my expectation!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sledge, thank you!!
After communication with both companies, it's just easier for me to go with WF 100%. WF will accommodate something similar between Symphonie and Vatche Royal crown, but not exactly same.
@Texas Leaguer I trust the WF bench could delivery the final product to meet my expectation!

Great! Now you won't ever have to look back and say you didn't checkout ALL the options, and you got to thoroughly compare the tip-top branded super-ideals. That's definitely a mind comfort!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sledge, thank you!!

Ah, cool! :cool2:

From your prior comments about meeting with Wink and seeing the Symphonie I just assumed you were buying the stone from WF and having HPD do the setting.

Glad to hear you are keeping it at the same place. I think that keeps your stress level a little lower and I have complete confidence WF's bench, and entire team, will make you a very happy customer and deliver excellence for you. Again, congrats! Really can't wait to see the finished product. =)2

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, thanks for all the warm help and sharp analysis along the way! This weekend, CBI also invited me and my fiancé to see their stones and I got a chance to see the Symphonie in real life, it's definitely breathtaking!!!! Even my fiancé said " woah this 3ct is much better!" I wish I recorded him and show him 10 years down the road, hahaha!

Today, I have finally decided:I will go with WhiteFlash the 2.14. Be my Valentine! Hopefully I can receive it with setting done before Valentine's Day!! :dance:

Congratulations!!! It's going to be absolutely stunning!!! :appl:

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Ah, cool! :cool2:

From your prior comments about meeting with Wink and seeing the Symphonie I just assumed you were buying the stone from WF and having HPD do the setting.

Glad to hear you are keeping it at the same place. I think that keeps your stress level a little lower and I have complete confidence WF's bench, and entire team, will make you a very happy customer and deliver excellence for you. Again, congrats! Really can't wait to see the finished product. =)2
I didn't meet with Wink, I met two other CBI team members as they were holding a small showing event in my area last weekend. ;)2

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Great! Now you won't ever have to look back and say you didn't checkout ALL the options, and you got to thoroughly compare the tip-top branded super-ideals. That's definitely a mind comfort!
Exactly, I am very happy with my choice! It's a beautifully balanced stone (after countless hours of struggling)!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't meet with Wink, I met two other CBI team members as they were holding a small showing event in my area last weekend. ;)2

Oh wow, how cool & fun! You are one of a select few that have been able to compare an ACA against a CBI. I assume you took the two ACA's with you to compare anyhow. What an experience. =)2

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, how cool & fun! You are one of a select few that have been able to compare an ACA against a CBI. I assume you took the two ACA's with you to compare anyhow. What an experience. =)2

YES! This, exactly. The CBI/HP team is amazing, and the quality of their product and knowledge speaks for itself. In volumes.

She did have the ACAs with her for us to ogle. :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES! This, exactly. The CBI/HP team is amazing, and the quality of their product and knowledge speaks for itself. In volumes.

She did have the ACAs with her for us to ogle. :)

Had I been there, would have had ACA, CBI and BGD. Okay, well technically, had my fiancee been there. ;)2

A little jealous. Sounds like it was fun. Any photos/videos come out of the deal?

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Fun isn't the right word for me, it was an amazing experience! I found out quite a bit about my color tolerance, eye clean, etc. No photos as I am sadly bad at doing that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results