shape
carat
color
clarity

K color - Would this hybrid-halo help or not?

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the inputs! You rock! :kiss2:

She could probably do a classic ”Tiffany 6 prong”, but I feel that everyone of her friends has those.

I get that all kinds of (actual) shit will be stuck on the ring as well if i go down the road with pave.

I have had 3 settings in mind all along,
1. Tiffany solitaire 6 prong
2. Same but with pave on the ring and prongs
3. A 2 dimensional halo with 3 sided pave on the ring
One of these it will be for sure, my heart says 3, my mind 2 and my wallet 1. I need to sleep on it.

Upgrades or changing setting won’t happen and if i’m wrong i will keep the old ring and frame it to remember the struggle :P2

I really like to go thru Whiteflash, since I’m buying from over seas and Becca has been awesome to deal with. But I was browsing around and found this, what do you think?
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.37-ct-J-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D41754370
Maybe WF can source it from the same source.

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi I won't use the upgrade benefits I'm afraid. It will be to much hassle to exchange it US etc.

@Matilda Pre-loved would be OK but that one is out of budget :/

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@Belic I would contact seller and ask if there is wiggle room on the price? I suspect there will be as I just noticed, and I do apologise, but basically the only discount as preloved you would get is the setting for free. An equivalent BG 1.5 I colour is roughly the same price. So I would definitely see if the seller is willing to actually sell at appropriate resell value, rather than the about 10% off at the moment.

Basically I doubt it will sell for the current asking amount, and so asking price would have to drop sooner or later. Wouldn't hurt to enquire.

Have you had anymore thoughts on setting?

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Belic I would contact seller and ask if there is wiggle room on the price? I suspect there will be as I just noticed, and I do apologise, but basically the only discount as preloved you would get is the setting for free. An equivalent BG 1.5 I colour is roughly the same price. So I would definitely see if the seller is willing to actually sell at appropriate resell value, rather than the about 10% off at the moment.

Basically I doubt it will sell for the current asking amount, and so asking price would have to drop sooner or later. Wouldn't hurt to enquire.

Have you had anymore thoughts on setting?

I dropped option 3(halo with a lot of pave) at least. Might be to delicate for a mom :)

Option 2, something similar to this,
pav-tiffany-setting-37054623_RG_SIDE_m.jpg
is still in the scope :)

If WF can source this stone,
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.37-ct-J-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D41754370
I will go for it as long as it looks ok :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, once again - either buy an in house Wf stone or purchase from BN/different vendor. You are not comparing apples to apples. WF sells super ideal stones that come with a lot of perks - in house evaluation, generous upgrade policy (even though you say you don’t need it now, life happens, tastes change) and a year buy back program.

BN sells virtual inventory stones, which can also be beautiful as the one you found. Those stones don’t come with the same premium as WF, although the “Astor” selection has a mark up. I also shared with you a beautiful stone a page ago that retails at $6k.

I appreciate that you want to stick to WF, if that is the absolute case - then purchase a stone from their inventory.

Do not do a three sides pave please. Something like this is much better and sturdier and WF can likely modify it with six prongs, although I like the double prongs as well: https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/twin-band-diamond-engagement-ring-3629.htm

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
That setting has the same issue... lots and lots of multi-sided pave work. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole... and especially all the pave on the basket -- huge NO for me. Don't get me wrong... it's all pretty, but just not practical IMHO. If you crave bling and size, then I'd go for the halo with plain shank (band).

You could do that setting but with a plain basket and prongs... and with bright cut pave on ONE side. I understand wanting something glittering and "special," but you'll cringe EVERY TIME you bang it against something... and you will bang it much harder than you thought possible and in the strangest scenarios.

I'd have to agree with all this. I've been through halos and if you want a halo- find one with a plain shank. easier to wear. pave on the shank will be a nightmare with children especially if she plans to wear it every day, at home. I only wore mine when I was going outside the house.

I disagree a little on the melee must be stone color or lower part. I've had 4 halos (still have one) and the melee never matched the main stone and I didn't have a problem with it because melee is always going to look whiter anyway. But YMMV as do others...

Here's my cerrent stone in its last setting iteration, a K in platinum with G-H sides, in bad lighting...and the 5 stone ring is G-H stones

5stoneeringbling.jpg

Here's my OEC M/N in a plain shank halo with J-ish melee

rubyhalo.jpg

+infinity. Settings are expensive and hard to resell!!!

That's so true....

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Yes settings have low resell value and yes they might be expensive, but hey, outside pricescope the setting could be equally important as the diamond ;-)

I can't have in mind that I will upgrade or change the setting or prioritise it so high, I mean, then the most convenient way would be to buy a gift card o_O

Yes stuff happens in life, I love the contribute to the economy with divorces and new e-rings :roll2:

We need to keep in mind that the standard here is 0.4ct GIA very good with a simple setting.

I really thank you all for all your input, some I really took in and some I might be to young and unexperienced to listen to ;-) Hopefully I will get back to you shortly with a new thread and some comparisons pics :D

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Morning!

I was wondering where you were so I had a nosey through some of your other threads and discovered you're in Sweden.

I loooove Whiteflash, always keen to recommend them, but I can see the tax you pay for Whiteflash is huge compared to you buying something from, for example, Bluenile.

If you're genuinely never going to upgrade (I have to admit I'm a bit doubtful about this, I thought that too when I got my original ring eight years ago, no way would I ever change it or upgrade it... Within a year I was already plotting and eight years later I've finally managed it... So just be aware feelings do change) then it may be a good idea to consider Bluenile. Having said that, ACAs are AWESOME so as a one off it may be worth it.

You could also consider CBI diamonds, they are also amazing super ideal diamonds and they have vendors in Belgium, England and Finland if any of those locations work with you favourably for tax. In general they are more expensive than ACAs however so tax savings may be balanced out by increased stone cost.

You're clearly trying to make the best decision and you have received excellent advice here. Try and balance your overall decision with the advice you received here. I love the settings you are drawn to (I love 3 sided pavé, was always drawn to it) but it isn't practical. I don't even have children and I knew it was likely to disintegrate as I don't wish to baby my rings. Two sided pave is slightly better (at least there's a bit more metal). Compromise somewhere. Single row pavé shanks (but not eternity style so it can cope with resizing) and a pavé halo but nothing on the stems. Or a halo but plain shank. The ring will definitely be amazing whatever you do.

Finally - is there a risk that she will be embarrassed or find it a bit socially awkward to have a diamond so super sized compared to her friends etc? I'm in England and stones are usually about half or three quarter carats. One carat tends to be the 'goal' (thanks De Beers :doh:). My previous stone was 1.65 carats and I'm just about to get a 2 carat... And I'm really pushing through some social embarrassment to do that. Luckily my friends know my love of diamonds but your future wife will definitely garner attention with a large stone, especially a super ideal. In which case you may wish to forgo the halo... :geek2:

Just things to consider. Good luck!

:geek2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning!
I was wondering where you were so I had a nosey through some of your other threads and discovered you're in Sweden.
I loooove Whiteflash, always keen to recommend them, but I can see the tax you pay for Whiteflash is huge compared to you buying something from, for example, Bluenile.
If you're genuinely never going to upgrade (I have to admit I'm a bit doubtful about this, I thought that too when I got my original ring eight years ago, no way would I ever change it or upgrade it... Within a year I was already plotting and eight years later I've finally managed it... So just be aware feelings do change) then it may be a good idea to consider Bluenile. Having said that, ACAs are AWESOME so as a one off it may be worth it.
You could also consider CBI diamonds, they are also amazing super ideal diamonds and they have vendors in Belgium, England and Finland if any of those locations work with you favourably for tax. In general they are more expensive than ACAs however so tax savings may be balanced out by increased stone cost.

You're clearly trying to make the best decision and you have received excellent advice here. Try and balance your overall decision with the advice you received here. I love the settings you are drawn to (I love 3 sided pavé, was always drawn to it) but it isn't practical. I don't even have children and I knew it was likely to disintegrate as I don't wish to baby my rings. Two sided pave is slightly better (at least there's a bit more metal). Compromise somewhere. Single row pavé shanks (but not eternity style so it can cope with resizing) and a pavé halo but nothing on the stems. Or a halo but plain shank. The ring will definitely be amazing whatever you do.
Finally - is there a risk that she will be embarrassed or find it a bit socially awkward to have a diamond so super sized compared to her friends etc? I'm in England and stones are usually about half or three quarter carats. One carat tends to be the 'goal' (thanks De Beers :doh:). My previous stone was 1.65 carats and I'm just about to get a 2 carat... And I'm really pushing through some social embarrassment to do that. Luckily my friends know my love of diamonds but your future wife will definitely garner attention with a large stone, especially a super ideal. In which case you may wish to forgo the halo... :geek2:
Just things to consider. Good luck!

:geek2:
Well stated!

If BN is a better source in terms of taxes, what about asking if they can get the stone recommended by @SimoneDi?

Edited to add: While I'm not a fan of all the pave, this setting from BN if very affordable and has the halo and side stones you like.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...ing_60447?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

This is elegant and pretty.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...num_42041?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
OP, you mentioned preferring the sides and prongs to be more special, but does it have to be pavé or could it be engraved instead? This would give you something more special than a plain shank, and while it is not *exactly* look of pavé, it is gorgeous and smooth to the skin while being easy to keep clean. Just a thought, but if I were going be a mom, I’d want the ring’s value in my stone rather than my setting... in case my fingers swell and hurt, I’d be able to wear my diamond as a pendant for a year or so and then I could put it back in its mount when my body got back to normal.

Here’s the Della setting from Gabriel.
0CAF03FB-B308-48BD-9624-3EDAA3003DA3.jpeg

1E8EC64A-0311-44EB-8227-D6BB778D1F0D.jpeg

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@InsecureSweetGirl I really like that setting; both practical and unique! It will be different to her friends for sure. Earlier I linked this one as I had a similar idea to you:

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-cathedral-solitaire-engagement-ring-1135.htm

Though I prefer the Gabriel one.

I know I am repeating myself but I get the impression the fiancé in question wants a bigger diamond than her friends as it seems to be OP's main driving force. So a setting with engraving would also allow the centre diamond to be a bit larger.

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the suggestions!! @InsecureSweetGirl I REALLY like that setting, will try to show it for my GF, "look what i got in my instagram feed" and see her response :)

Will get some comparison picks in a couple of days / week or so and will se which stone I buy.

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Update,

Her: ”It’s nice but that one with smal diamonds on the side was nicer”
Me: ”Yeah but now when our boy comes it might popo stuck between those”
Her: ”Haha, yep but all you need is soap”

I want the ring to be made by WF and stone set when shipped. No more hassle :roll2:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Update,

Her: ”It’s nice but that one with smal diamonds on the side was nicer”
Me: ”Yeah but now when our boy comes it might popo stuck between those”
Her: ”Haha, yep but all you need is soap”

I want the ring to be made by WF and stone set when shipped. No more hassle :roll2:

Please invest in an ultrasonic in that case, it is much more difficult than she thinks to clean pavé, somehow crud gets into allllll the nooks and crannies.

An ultrasonic, some good liquid soap and a soft toothbrush.

Added benefit to that is if any pavé is going to fall out, better that it do it in the ultrasonic rather than somewhere randomly.

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Lykame will do!

Worst case, the setting gets ugly, destroyed etc and have to buy a solitaire. But at least I followed my heart and took a shot =)2

Hopefully I will only propose once in my life and that time it has to be perfect!

Just 2 things left,
- Diamond comparison
- Need to start taking secret piano lessons and source a great location!

Learning about diamonds and looking for setting all of the sudden was a piece of cake :mrgreen:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
@Lykame will do!

Worst case, the setting gets ugly, destroyed etc and have to buy a solitaire. But at least I followed my heart and took a shot =)2

Hopefully I will only propose once in my life and that time it has to be perfect!

Just 2 things left,
- Diamond comparison
- Need to start taking secret piano lessons and source a great location!

Learning about diamonds and looking for setting all of the sudden was a piece of cake :mrgreen:

I would not worry if I were you. A well made setting is not going to be dropping stones all over the place ... sure, you may have one or two pop out over the long term, but easy enough to have fixed. You can have a jeweler inspect it regularly to make sure all the diamonds are tight. Also make sure it’s insured.

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Another question,

Do i buy my own ring now? Or is it something you do later on? Or do my fiancee buy my ring? :mrgreen2:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Another question,

Do i buy my own ring now? Or is it something you do later on? Or do my fiancee buy my ring? :mrgreen2:

You can do whatever you want. However, here, culturally, you wouldn't now. You would wait until the wedding planning and then you and your fiancée would choose them together. You might identify a theme that allows your rings to match in some way. I believe your fiancée would pay but I don't know for sure. What would be more important to me is the opportunity for the consideration of some type of match, even if you don't end up going that route.

So personally I would recommend holding off.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another question,

I'd wait until the ceremony is closer to pick a band. Each of you should choose your own band that suits you and your lifestyle/job/hobbies.

My DH and I wanted radically different bands, so we each got what we wanted. I don't feel there is any need to match or coordinate. I have a brushed platinum band with flush-set diamonds, my husband has a brightly colored titanium and niobium band. We paid for the bands out of our wedding account, which was composed of money we both added for the event.

My wedding band (platinum on ring finger). I added the green diamond when my son was born. The rest are white.
upload_2019-1-11_6-57-58.png

His wedding band
upload_2019-1-11_6-58-36.png

Both bands were engraved with a phrase that had meaning for us.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with @rockysalamander. My desire to have some feature that matched is totally personal to me - so you do you, too.
Agreed. The 'tradition" is all up to the couple to decide what is important. Its been 18 years and we both still love our bands. Mine is inspired by Tiffany and Etienne Perret's bands.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results