shape
carat
color
clarity

The story of my ring's grading issue

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
@Julyisjuly - I can post more pics with different angles if you’d like. As rockysalamander mentioned, you can ask them if they can make it into 6 prongs if that’s what you like.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, if you have a chance. That will be appreciated!

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
I have both I stones with me now, the video shows normal indoor lighting--patio outdoor lighting on a cloudy day--yellow lighting indoor(3bulbs). Gosh, as you guys said, any of them is pretty!!! "Sweet and Psycho" decision, haven't made my mind yet
IMG_3553.JPG I
IMG_3557.JPG

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like the 2.14 better, but it is your diamond, your ring, so you need to select the one that speaks to you!

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
I am 100% sure that the one on my ring finger is2.14. WF didn't label them when ship them in one box. I am ordering a 30X loupe online to find out.
But I think ring finger is 2.14, and middle finger2.28.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am 100% sure that the one on my ring finger is2.14. WF didn't label them when ship them in one box. I am ordering a 30X loupe online to find out.
But I think ring finger is 2.14, and middle finger2.28.
That would be my guess. Didn’t the stones come in different wraps? Please don’t store them together loose in a box, because that can cause abrasions.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, may I first say that you did an excellent job with those videos. Seriously, the fact that you were able to keep both stones in focus throughout all of the various lighting conditions in both of the videos is incredible. Were these videos shot with a phone?

Second, I'm really glad you were able to have both diamonds delivered to your home! No better way to choose than under the conditions that you'll be viewing the diamond 95% of the time. They are both gorgeous diamonds, and you really can't go wrong with either. The 2.14 still catches my eye in these videos. I like the balance of brilliance and fire. But the most important question, now that you have both diamonds in front of you in your home, is which diamond speaks to YOU? ;)2

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
IMG_3560.JPG
That would be my guess. Didn’t the stones come in different wraps? Please don’t store them together loose in a box, because that can cause abrasions.
The stones come in with WF holder boxes, not paper wrap, no indication who is who.
Yup, I put them in separate boxes.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3560.JPG
The stones come in with WF holder boxes, not paper wrap, no indication who is who.
Hm interesting. What about on the bottom of the box?
In any case, I think it’s ok to assume that the one on your ring finger is the 2.14.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I have both I stones with me now, the video shows normal indoor lighting--patio outdoor lighting on a cloudy day--yellow lighting indoor(3bulbs). Gosh, as you guys said, any of them is pretty!!! "Sweet and Psycho" decision, haven't made my mind yet
IMG_3553.JPG I
IMG_3557.JPG
I prefer the one on your ring finger inside and the one on your middle finger outside.

How's that for not helpful? :lol:

I think it's great you don't know which is which. You can go with whatever speaks to you the most. What do you feel about the both of them?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
IMG_3560.JPG
@Julyisjuly ,
Really sorry about this! I just checked with our logistics folks. Our regular shipper was out sick on Friday (we've had a wave of colds/flu here over the last few weeks). His backup shipped the packages. Though they were shipped properly each in an individual view box, the boxes themselves were not labeled! So you would have to read the inscriptions on the diamonds to know which is which.
If you need any help reading the inscriptions please let us know. And again, I apologize for the inconvenience. (This points up a training/process issue that will need to be addressed on our end)

On a "brighter" note, good job on the hand videos! I particularly like the one where you walk the stones out of the direct light and you can see how the diamonds are finding the lower ambient light.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Wow, may I first say that you did an excellent job with those videos. Seriously, the fact that you were able to keep both stones in focus throughout all of the various lighting conditions in both of the videos is incredible. Were these videos shot with a phone?

Second, I'm really glad you were able to have both diamonds delivered to your home! No better way to choose than under the conditions that you'll be viewing the diamond 95% of the time. They are both gorgeous diamonds, and you really can't go wrong with either. The 2.14 still catches my eye in these videos. I like the balance of brilliance and fire. But the most important question, now that you have both diamonds in front of you in your home, is which diamond speaks to YOU? ;)2
Yes, the video was done by my phone.
Both are beautiful in my eyes!!!
Wish to have them as a set of studs!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, the video was done by my phone.
Both are beautiful in my eyes!!!
Wish to have them as a set of studs!
rofl that was my thoughts after watching the video, earrings anyone?
I haven't been following the thread in a while so have no idea of the specs of the stones but in the video they look like they would make a great pair of earrings!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_3553.JPG I
IMG_3557.JPG

Although I can’t really tell from the side view (which is odd) - it looks to me like the one on your ring finger has less tint. If you don’t have a preference for that, I would go for the bigger one, even if the difference is barely visible.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m team 2.28 I.
I love flash over sparkle. Blinding someone is more fun...lol!!
Get the one that your heart wants: 2.28 I!!!
1.94G is out, and 2.14 I doesn’t pack the punch that 2.28 I does!!
:mrgreen2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anything, the fact that they aren't labeled is a good thing because it lets you truly decide what your eyes prefer!! I say choose the one that speaks to you, send it back flagged/color coded or something and find out which you chose once they receive it! FWIW, I love the one on your ring finger - it looks whiter and brighter to me. But I can't stress enough that you should choose the one YOU prefer since you have both in person to compare in various locations and lighting environments! They're both gorgeous!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both gorgeous. The one on your ring finger is my favorite one.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After looking at this video, I prefer the one on your ring finger because it looks whiter to me. However, you have them right in front of you with the perfect vantage point so choose the one that moves you the most. They are both large stones so I would choose performance - judged by your eyes - over size. I had originally voted for the 2.28 but your video is outstanding and changed my mind. However, I could conceivably change my mind again if I saw them in person so it is not an exact science. :wall:

Please tell us now - which one are you favoring?

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the one on your ring finger inside and the one on your middle finger outside.

How's that for not helpful? :lol:

I think it's great you don't know which is which. You can go with whatever speaks to you the most. What do you feel about the both of them?
Haha, I like the ring finger more during the day(brighter/whiter/crispier) and I like the other during the night (has lighting from multiple resources-more fire?) ?? Not 100% sure
:lol::lol:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, I like the ring finger more during the day(brighter/whiter/crispier) and I like the other during the night (has lighting from multiple resources-more fire?) ?? Not 100% sure
:lol::lol:

So firstly I'll tell you that my favourite characteristic of a diamond is fire. Secondly I'll say that regardless of that, balance within a stone is important. They are both beautifully balanced but one is balanced for fire and one for brilliance.

Ultimately @Julyisjuly, you can't win. A stone with more fire will be less brilliant and vice versa, that's just the way light physics works. Having said that, you can only win - these are both the very top of the crop when it comes to diamonds, you honestly can't go wrong.

My thought process would personally be as follows, and I'm sharing this with you not because this is what you should do but because maybe hearing someone else's logic will help you solidify what it is you want from this stone.

My previous diamond had a table of 57 percent and was really really decently brilliant, and the brilliance of the diamond brought me joy. I loooove fire too, as I've said, but I spent a lot of times in environments where brilliance was what I saw. Crisp facets and brilliance. It was a joy. Having said that, my stone was not ideally cut, so in environments where it was meant to prioritise fire, it could probably have done better. It wasn't bad, sure, but it could do better.

I suspect the majority of the time you'll be in environments prioritising brilliance. Both of these are I colour. I would therefore get the most brilliant diamond, because honestly the fire in both of these stones is done on an ideal basis. Yes there are different flavours but they're both going to knock your socks off. You have them in front of you, so that should be obvious.

I think the stone on your ring finger meets my requirements for balance more, even though it is a smidge less firey on camera - but that's ok because it's still an ACA!

Best of luck!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Turn the stones upside down on a white piece of paper to accurately evaluate which diamond material has more tint - at least get that out of the way since you and others will see the stone at tilt and angled sides, not straight from the top most of the time.

Although that's out of the way, the 2.28 stone may still look a bit more tinted from the top because of its deeper smaller table proportions compared to the shallower 2.14 that'll look relatively brighter side by side. Go to as many rooms - bathroom, laundry, den, etc to to see the light performance difference under different types of lights. If you think you notice difference, swap the fingers to confirm (put a piece of tape on the ring not to get confused, but the higher crown one is 2.28. The seemingly insignificant left/right, top/bottom placement of the stones tend to make noticeable difference when comparing.

I'm team for neither stone. That ended when you were able to attain the two stones in person to evaluate real time in various lights (not super magnified videos), and both are great candidates.

Don't let anyone sway you at this point. You should decide which stone speaks to you the most.

Last edited:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No stone will perform the same in all lighting or in the same environment as shown in the video. Sometimes I liked the 2.14 better, sometimes I liked the 2.28 better. I do give the edge to the 2.14 as it has a smidge more edge to edge brightness than the 2.28. As for the tint, I can see that the 2.28 is a bit more slightly more tinted, once set, that probably wont be noticeable unless the pavilion is completely exposed. I have a J & ensure my basket covers the pavilion limiting how much tint I can see. I halo it with F-G melee even with little noticeable effects. It's all a blur of sparkle when you move your hand around. :mrgreen2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think you notice difference, swap the fingers to confirm (put a piece of tape on the ring not to get confused, but the higher crown one is 2.28.

Bingo.

Looking back on old posts I pulled this photo. We knew the 1.94 was in the middle but you wasn't sure which of the I stones were on each side.

The 2.28 stone has a smaller table, steeper crown and greater depth. When you look at the picture below you can see how the crown is taller and depth greater indicating it's the 2.28 stone. The opposite is true for the 2.14 stone. It has a larger table, shallower crown & less overall depth. Consequently the crown isn't as high and the stone gives off a more "squatty" appearance indicating the stone on the right is the 2.14.

InkedD3F0963B-B554-4A89-86C7-6494A2E1C996_LI.jpg

Using this same logic, you can now identify the stones even though they aren't labeled. I wish I had a better picture there is some tilt going on and making it more difficult to tell, but the one below appears to show the 2.14 on the left and the 2.28 on the right.

It should be easier to discern the difference in person.

InkedIMG_3553_LI.jpg

FYI, the proportions of each stone is favoring the conditions you noted above in post #410. Bigger table and shallower crown is producing more bright white light that you like during the day. Smaller table and steeper crown is throwing a little more fire and performing better at night. This is what I advised early on.

Neither is necessarily better or worse, but a preference. You now have to decide which you prefer the most. Some of the decision might come down your lifestyle. If you get up early and go to bed early then perhaps the brilliance of the 2.14 brings you a little more joy. If you tend to stay up later and more active in the evenings, then perhaps the 2.28 will bring you more joy.

FWIW, my fiancee's stone has a larger table and shallower crown. The brilliance is off the charts and the fire is too under the right conditions. However, my future SIL has an OEC that I get all gaga about every time I see it. It's not as brilliant but I love those chunky facets and big sparkles. My fiancee isn't as enamored with that style of cut. Consequently while I do love OEC's, I also love her BGD ideal stone for what it is. Just different personalities speak differently to us all.

I'm not voting on a particular stone. Instead I'm wishing you peace and clarity in finding your own preferences and tastes. You have two great stones and neither is a bad choice IMO. Good luck!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the 2.14 and 2.28 are ACAs... they are both beyond gorgeous. You seriously cannot go wrong here, so please try not to stress. I feel like you're really splitting hairs here.

If I were choosing, I would pick the 2.28 all day long over the 2.14... because I'm a size ho and BOTH ARE BEAUTIFUL. I would enjoy the larger size. Also, if you were given only one to wear for a few days, would you even know which it was? If you were given the other to try, would you be any more or less pleased?

I guess what I'm saying is that comparing them side by side won't be an issue, as you won't be wearing both... so go with the one you're more drawn to and enjoy wearing -- stats be damned. They are both ACAs, so the cut isn't an issue at all. Let your eyes and heart choose. Besides, if you're like most PS members, you won't be wearing it too long until DSS kicks in and you'll be on the hunt for an upgrade... and since you've chosen WF, it'll be easy-peasy. ;-)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So firstly I'll tell you that my favourite characteristic of a diamond is fire. Secondly I'll say that regardless of that, balance within a stone is important. They are both beautifully balanced but one is balanced for fire and one for brilliance.

Ultimately @Julyisjuly, you can't win. A stone with more fire will be less brilliant and vice versa, that's just the way light physics works. Having said that, you can only win - these are both the very top of the crop when it comes to diamonds, you honestly can't go wrong.

My thought process would personally be as follows, and I'm sharing this with you not because this is what you should do but because maybe hearing someone else's logic will help you solidify what it is you want from this stone.

My previous diamond had a table of 57 percent and was really really decently brilliant, and the brilliance of the diamond brought me joy. I loooove fire too, as I've said, but I spent a lot of times in environments where brilliance was what I saw. Crisp facets and brilliance. It was a joy. Having said that, my stone was not ideally cut, so in environments where it was meant to prioritise fire, it could probably have done better. It wasn't bad, sure, but it could do better.

I suspect the majority of the time you'll be in environments prioritising brilliance. Both of these are I colour. I would therefore get the most brilliant diamond, because honestly the fire in both of these stones is done on an ideal basis. Yes there are different flavours but they're both going to knock your socks off. You have them in front of you, so that should be obvious.

I think the stone on your ring finger meets my requirements for balance more, even though it is a smidge less firey on camera - but that's ok because it's still an ACA!

Best of luck!
I love the way you broke this down @Lykame

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turn the stones upside down on a white piece of paper to accurately evaluate which diamond material has more tint - at least get that out of the way since you and others will see the stone at tilt and angled sides, not straight from the top most of the time.

Although that's out of the way, the 2.28 stone may still look a bit more tinted from the top because of its deeper smaller table proportions compared to the shallower 2.14 that'll look relatively brighter side by side. Go to as many rooms - bathroom, laundry, den, etc to to see the light performance difference under different types of lights. If you think you notice difference, swap the fingers to confirm (put a piece of tape on the ring not to get confused, but the higher crown one is 2.28. The seemingly insignificant left/right, top/bottom placement of the stones tend to make noticeable difference when comparing.

I'm team for neither stone. That ended when you were able to attain the two stones in person to evaluate real time in various lights (not super magnified videos), and both are great candidates.

Don't let anyone sway you at this point. You should decide which stone speaks to you the most.
Yes so true. How do YOU live? Choose the one that is most stunning for you more often. Logistics.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
stats be damned.

Exactly. I feel like, when it comes down to these sorts of choices between two well cut diamonds, it's best to go with your first gut instinct. Ignoring all of the size/angles/profile-color quibbles (because honestly, the difference between these two stones in size/angles/color is negligible and up to personal preference) there's probably one that caught your eye more than the other when you looked at them the first time. I can almost guarantee you that, after countless hours of beating yourself up over this choice, you'll end up going with the one that caught your eye first. I'm 99% certain of it. ;-)

I've done the same thing as you in the past Re: stressing over two nearly identical items when purchasing for myself. I'll choose one, then waffle back and forth between the two. And after countless hours of beating myself up and stressing over the choice... 99% of the time I would go with the one I originally chose to begin with. So now I've started to just go with my first gut instinct when making choices between two nearly identical items, and I have yet to be disappointed by following this method. :)

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
because I'm a size ho
giphy.gif

and the longer you stay on PS you may risk becoming one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results