shape
carat
color
clarity

K color - Would this hybrid-halo help or not?

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi!

I'm trying to catch up on this proposal/diamond thingy again. I missed out on 2 stones(virtual selection @ whiteflash) and then a pregnancy came along($$$). So in order to fit my new life style prioritizations I'm considering going down to K color :whistle:

- GF wants as big diamond as possible, but "anything will do as long as you propose"
- I was initially set with J color and felt very comfortable there, both for my own eyes as well as my GF.
- I dropped my budget quite heavily so I'm getting creative here :geek:

Question

Setting,
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrovkZVnjwW/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl6icEjFIy_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Would a K color from Whiteflash benefit from this setting, in terms of body color? Would it hide the tint? Or would the center stone look even more yellow/brown/greyish? It's a hybrid between 2 dimensional halo and a under halo. I would have it flush fit just under the diamonds edges so that from top view the halo is just visible by a couple of mm.

Having checked a lot of whiteflash comparisons photos between H/J/K etc I'm totally fine with K color.

My GF loves the setting and I would have it custom made by WF together with a 1.4-1.6ct K ACA.

Bonus question,
Platinum or 14k white gold? My GF has no preferences but I think it would be awesome to just say it's platinum :dance:

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on the baby! I think if the melee in the setting is the at least a K or lower the contrast should not be obvious so it should work. Setting you posted seems good, but do you have a photo of side view of the ring? That would help check if you can see the tint from the side.

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the baby! I think if the melee in the setting is the at least a K or lower the contrast should not be obvious so it should work. Setting you posted seems good, but do you have a photo of side view of the ring? That would help check if you can see the tint from the side.

Best I can do,
Skärmavbild 2019-01-08 kl. 10.55.26.png

I would like to skip the cathedral part and have it more as a solitaire with 4 prongs coming up if possible, I guess that it would cover more of the diamond body as well.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2019-01-08 kl. 10.55.26.png
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 51

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best I can do,

I would like to skip the cathedral part and have it more as a solitaire with 4 prongs coming up if possible, I guess that it would cover more of the diamond body as well.

I agree that lower color melee will help to mask the tint of a K. Otherwise, you’ll see contrast, and the center will appear darker.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Body color in a diamond is most visible starting at 45 degree tilt and from the side. So, the key area to block the view is from the side. This halo is not better or worse than any other provided that you drop the girdle of the diamond to float just above the halo. Right now, the full side of the diamond is visible and will strongly contrast with the small melee. See example below. See how low the diamond sits in the halo? That is the goal for wearability and to mask color.

Then, there is the melee, Small melee always appears whiter than a larger stone of the same color. So, you'd need melee to be lower than a K to look like a K. I doubt WF can get melee in that range that is well-cut to their standards.

Melee in the halo you posted are at 90 degrees to each other. Rather than that kind of halo, which make the up-facing melee whiter and the ring full of edges to chip, I'd go with a single halo that tilt that outer halo away from the center by 20 degrees. I think this ring by Victor Canera has the "solitaire" look you want, but with a better halo for a stone with body color. But, I would (A) lower the entire halo head as low as possible for the diamond. You have a new baby and tall pointy rings and kids simply don't mix. and (B) only have pave on the top of the shoulder. Finger sizes change over time and the full pave like this will make re-sizing very hard and expensive.

5_2-jpg.524057

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-forever-setting-finally.164262/#post-2989127

I am a fan of platinum. Finally, avoid the melee on the sides of the setting. They will eat all the rings that rest against them.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Body color in a diamond is most visible starting at 45 degree tilt and from the side. So, the key area to block the view is from the side. This halo is not better or worse than any other provided that you drop the girdle of the diamond to float just above the halo. Right now, the full side of the diamond is visible and will strongly contrast with the small melee. See example below. See how low the diamond sits in the halo? That is the goal for wearability and to mask color.

Then, there is the melee, Small melee always appears whiter than a larger stone of the same color. So, you'd need melee to be lower than a K to look like a K. I doubt WF can get melee in that range that is well-cut to their standards.

Melee in the halo you posted are at 90 degrees to each other. Rather than that kind of halo, which make the up-facing melee whiter and the ring full of edges to chip, I'd go with a single halo that tilt that outer halo away from the center by 20 degrees. I think this ring by Victor Canera has the "solitaire" look you want, but with a better halo for a stone with body color. But, I would (A) lower the entire halo head as low as possible for the diamond. You have a new baby and tall pointy rings and kids simply don't mix. and (B) only have pave on the top of the shoulder. Finger sizes change over time and the full pave like this will make re-sizing very hard and expensive.

5_2-jpg.524057

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-forever-setting-finally.164262/#post-2989127

I am a fan of platinum. Finally, avoid the melee on the sides of the setting. They will eat all the rings that rest against them.

^—— THIS!! 100%

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium

Thanks for input. Basically that's the only halo i like, where it's more of a "under halo" but quite big with 2 rows of smal diamonds. I might have to go back to saving money to be able to afford a 2ct+

Have you found the diamond you want?
Yep, but it all depends on the setting I'm afraid :/ Since she wants a big ring/stone i would either like to go with the halo solution or a big center stone. However I don't have the budget for a 2ct+ center stone at the moment.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you get a WF stone, you can upgrade the size. I would take your own statement quite seriously from your GF.

- GF wants as big diamond as possible, but "anything will do as long as you propose"

Get the biggest stone you can afford with a well-made setting. When a woman makes this statement...take her seriously.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, what is your budget? Are you sure that we can’t find you a whiter stone?

Halos can be both good and bad for lower coloured stones. I had a 1.5ct AGS J cushion that wanted to halo, but seeing the contrast between the stone and the whiter melee discourages me. Others prefer to hide the diamond’s profile with a halo. I know that @msop04 had an ornate halo that she said hid the profile and masked the tint in her J center stone.

Lastly, when being mindful of a budget, I would be hesitant to spend a lot for a custom halo setting. Would your SO like something like his setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

There is a video with a J stone and the overall look is beautiful. The profile of the stone is very hidden. Also, JA frequently runs 20-25% off on settings. I assume that we will see something before V day.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP- would you ever consider getting the biggest diamond you can, putting it in a plain solitaire, and upgrade in the next year or two when are able to? Or are you wanting this ring to be the one and only?

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi
Regarding budget, not entirely sure :D I mean, best case would be if this diamond was a perfect match,
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4070343.htm
6800dollars + setting, would feel awesome :)

@Wewechew I have, but if I know my GF right, she won't upgrade the diamond or the setting, it will be a hers the rest of her life. I guess thats also why she wants a big one!

I mean 1.4ct will be huge in comparison to her friends 0.3-0.5ct diamonds with really shitty quality(gia very good or uncerted). This is also why I think I could get away with a K color WF ACA. But still, best case scenario would either be a 1.4ct with a under halo/halo or a 2ct, currently I can't afford the later one.

I'm dead set on a WF in-house diamond, I can't take the hassle with virtual inventory :(2

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ai, I don't want to be a downer here but I am compelled to mention that setting has a ton of potential for headaches. The setting you have posted is the most covered in melee I think I have ever seen - ever part of it is encrusted. Melee are gorgeous but also known for falling out. They can also make the metal less strong, because everywhere there's melee, there's a hole in the metal to hold it vs a solid shank/basket. This means the ring could also bend out of round more easily.

You say there's a baby on the way. Wearing it around a baby, toddler, kid and the types of activities kids require is going to subject it even more to these potential problems. A larger stone in a well made solitaire will hold up better and be less worrisome to wear. Unless she plans to only wear her ering for special occasions or to work, otherwise keeping in in her jewelry box.

I hear you on not having the budget for the 2+ diamond, so having a setting like this gives her the big look without the cost. If you don't want to go with a solitaire in the largest ct you can afford, I would highly recommend finding a halo setting with less melee than this one. The one rockysalamander posted is a good start, although I'd even want to see less on the shank and none on the stems.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, if you want to stick to WF and the K coloured diamond, we would absolutely understand and respect that. Bus as someone who has had a K diamond, there is a tint to the color.
If you think that you will upgrade the diamond, then WF is absolutely the way to go. Otherwise, I would look for a whiter stone.

Here is one:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6178854

I would have JA match the price to this one:
https://www.fourmine.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/BRC-263771

Same stone advertised at two different companies, $1k difference.

And get the standard falling edge halo or another halo for about $2k plat. Appx $8k all in.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would seriously reconsider that setting. It's going to be a nightmare for multiple reasons. I would get a nice halo from WF .

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ai, I don't want to be a downer here but I am compelled to mention that setting has a ton of potential for headaches. The setting you have posted is the most covered in melee I think I have ever seen - ever part of it is encrusted. Melee are gorgeous but also known for falling out. They can also make the metal less strong, because everywhere there's melee, there's a hole in the metal to hold it vs a solid shank/basket. This means the ring could also bend out of round more easily.

You say there's a baby on the way. Wearing it around a baby, toddler, kid and the types of activities kids require is going to subject it even more to these potential problems. A larger stone in a well made solitaire will hold up better and be less worrisome to wear. Unless she plans to only wear her ering for special occasions or to work, otherwise keeping in in her jewelry box.

I hear you on not having the budget for the 2+ diamond, so having a setting like this gives her the big look without the cost. If you don't want to go with a solitaire in the largest ct you can afford, I would highly recommend finding a halo setting with less melee than this one. The one rockysalamander posted is a good start, although I'd even want to see less on the shank and none on the stems.

I agree with this. Your are NOT going to like all that pave with a new baby. I LOVED my old setting, but after having a baby, I realized it's just not conducive to "mom life." You'll be washing your hands a million times a day, and I don't even wanna mention what could get encrusted in all that pave work. You'll be scratching that sweet baby's delicate skin, even when you're being careful. I strongly advise getting something that isn't as busy and will be easily cleaned and very wearable. If you must have a halo, there are many very streamlined ones out there. If I were in your shoes, I would get the biggest diamond possible in either a solitaire or a halo with plain shank.

Before baby:
msop04.jpg msop04_hand.jpg msop04_profile.jpg

After baby:
CVB Soli with bezel eternity.jpg CVB Soli Stack_collage1.jpg DK Wire Band _plat_5.jpg

Attachments

• 7.7 U-V OEC vs. GIA J color.jpg
    7.7 U-V OEC vs. GIA J color.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 21
  • CVB Soli Rx Profile 1.jpg
    CVB Soli Rx Profile 1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DK Wire Band _plat_1.jpg
    DK Wire Band _plat_1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 15

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listen to the wise words of
@rainydaze
@lovedogs
@Msop
Unmentionable stuff can and WILL get on your ring:sick:
Also one tends to get a lot harder on one's rings with kids. I know I've shared this story a lot lately (sorry) , but I nearly ripped off the head of my e-ring, buckling up the childseat of my dd. That pavé - monster is unfortunately one of the least baby proof settings I could imagine

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Alright, I get the point, no edgy halo with babys :kiss2:

Would something similar to this work? I understand that a simple classic solitaire is good, both for my wallet and baby but I would love to have something a little bit more special.
Skärmavbild 2019-01-08 kl. 16.12.36.png Skärmavbild 2019-01-08 kl. 16.13.00.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, I get the point, no edgy halo with babys :kiss2:

Would something similar to this work? I understand that a simple classic solitaire is good, both for my wallet and baby but I would love to have something a little bit more special.
Skärmavbild 2019-01-08 kl. 16.12.36.png Skärmavbild 2019-01-08 kl. 16.13.00.png

That setting has the same issue... lots and lots of multi-sided pave work. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole... and especially all the pave on the basket -- huge NO for me. Don't get me wrong... it's all pretty, but just not practical IMHO. If you crave bling and size, then I'd go for the halo with plain shank (band).

You could do that setting but with a plain basket and prongs... and with bright cut pave on ONE side. I understand wanting something glittering and "special," but you'll cringe EVERY TIME you bang it against something... and you will bang it much harder than you thought possible and in the strangest scenarios.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the upcoming baby!

Just wanted to mention that finger size can change during and after pregnancy.

Plain solitaire settings are the easiest to resize, budget-friendly (allowing more money to go towards the diamond), baby-friendly, and considered timeless, classic and elegant by many.

Getting the diamond from WF will ensure you can easily upgrade the diamond, and change the setting if desired, at a later date.

Does your GF like halos?
Does she specifically not want a plain solitaire?
Have you discussed a 'temporary' setting for now, and a new setting (and diamond?) down the road (after finger size seems constant).

Your proposal, marriage, relationship can all be 'special' without getting an elaborate ring setting.

Consider the following:

GF wants as big diamond as possible, but "anything will do as long as you propose"

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Belic... it's not the halo itself that is the hazard - it's all that glorious pave work. Double and triple sided pave? Well... that's double and triple the hazard. It also lessens the strength of the metal, because you have all those holes in it to hold the melee.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Belic... it's not the halo itself that is the hazard - it's all that glorious pave work. Double and triple sided pave? Well... that's double and triple the hazard. It also lessens the strength of the metal, because you have all those holes in it to hold the melee.

Exactly!

@Belic , I didn't mean to imply that a halo style is an issue! As pointed out by @msop04 , the concern is all the pave.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From WF, if you want prongs, I would look at the Legato Sleek pave. The pave is limited to the shank and that narrow "pinch" at the top will make the diamond look larger. The pave is bead set and won't be scratchy.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...eek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

But, If I wanted a K color diamond and had a new baby, I'd go with this setting in RG or platinum, if you like platinum better. Scholdt is the maker. I think WF can get them, JA cannot. Scholdt is very reasonably priced.

If you need a blingy setting, this would give you a halo and bead set pave.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...gs/halo-bezel-diamond-engagement-ring-197.htm

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From WF, if you want prongs, I would look at the Legato Sleek pave. The pave is limited to the shank and that narrow "pinch" at the top will make the diamond look larger. The pave is bead set and won't be scratchy.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...eek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

But, If I wanted a K color diamond and had a new baby, I'd go with this setting in RG or platinum, if you like platinum better. Scholdt is the maker. I think WF can get them, JA cannot. Scholdt is very reasonably priced.

If you need a blingy setting, this would give you a halo and bead set pave.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...gs/halo-bezel-diamond-engagement-ring-197.htm
I love that sholdt setting so much!!!!

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind that both of the settings you like would not accommodate a wedding band. These would be standalone rings. I purchased a halo (after wearing a solitaire for 10 years) because I thought (and still do) they were gloriously beautiful. But I ended up never wearing it because...kids. I would buy your gf a beautiful solitaire and tell her if down the road she wants to reset into something “fancier” she has your complete support....but you wanted to get something that she could wear around the baby....major future dad points! You’ll be giving her exactly what she wants...a symbol of commitment and reassurance that you’re going to make a great dad. Congrats on your upcoming engagement and baby. What an exciting time in your life! Enjoy.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Okay say hypothetically you saved the maybe $3000 on the halo and pave setting, just for the time being, and chose a solitaire you could increase ct weight, while staying within the same budget and get this for instance:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4066991.htm

It is not 2ct but it will be a visual difference to the 1.3 ct. You could put it in something like:

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7242-solitaire-engagement-ring-3996.htm

or

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ns-of-love-solitaire-engagement-ring-5659.htm

or

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-cathedral-solitaire-engagement-ring-1135.htm

the last one is quite interesting with the engraving

Solitaire but perhaps a little more 'special' than your more common Tiffany style setting. As others have said this could be replaced down the line.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what about something like the tacori dantela? it's a halo but the way it's designed it is more protected and it's beautiful and ornate

upload_2019-1-8_12-45-42.png

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would recommend getting the nicest diamond you can within your budget and saving the money from the setting and putting it on the diamond.

Funneling money into a setting that will likely be replaced over time as your diamond gets upgraded is a very expensive way to toss money out the window.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend getting the nicest diamond you can within your budget and saving the money from the setting and putting it on the diamond.

Funneling money into a setting that will likely be replaced over time as your diamond gets upgraded is a very expensive way to toss money out the window.

+infinity. Settings are expensive and hard to resell!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+infinity. Settings are expensive and hard to resell!!!

This is sooooo true... especially HALO settings, as only a very specific sized stone will fit. I've been trying to sell mine for over 3 years now! ...and expect to take a huge hit on the money you'll get for it, halo or not. UGH!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results