shape
carat
color
clarity

If you please, help me choose a new setting for my 0.89ct E SI1?

What should I do?

• Keep it as is! Just resize or use sizing beads!

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Reset into a solitaire

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Three stone!!!!

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Halo!

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I have another idea... I’ll post!

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair I really love @mrs-b ‘s gypsy 3 stone as well ... very daily-wearable without worrying about babying it. And if you wanted, you could ‘dress it up’ with some engraving or varying the finish.

I would also second the durability and wearability of Sholdt’s pieces. I absolutely adore mine (in my av pic), and they are truly wonderful to work with. They have a setting that is a serious contender for my asscher when I get it. :twisted2:

More Sholdt 3-stone settings: http://sholdtdesign.com/collections/3-stone/. And I think you can see more angles/views of them on BGD’s website, as they are an authorized retailer.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair -

Can you pls tell me where you found that photo of my 3 stone and the date it was posted? I'm trying to find photos in my (ENORMOUS) collection of jewelry photos, and I can't find it. If you can tell me where you found that photo and what date it was taken, it will narrow it down for me a lot.

And you're very welcome to share that photo! If I know where to look, I can probably find you a couple more!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The current setting looks like a flat / simplified version of an older style - in which the pirced band is a 3D surface domed toward the diamond... This is such a ring: WWW

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair -

Can you pls tell me where you found that photo of my 3 stone and the date it was posted? I'm trying to find photos in my (ENORMOUS) collection of jewelry photos, and I can't find it. If you can tell me where you found that photo and what date it was taken, it will narrow it down for me a lot.

And you're very welcome to share that photo! If I know where to look, I can probably find you a couple more!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-day-3-stone-diamond-ring-in-platinum.236429/

Thanks!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair - here are some more photos I found. There is also a video on DKJ's instagram page for Jan 12th this year. I don't know how to link IG vids or photos. The center stone was .63, but I think a larger stone would look awesome, and it was my intent to do that, but I never got around to it. The sides here are only 11 pts each, I think. A curved diamond band underneath it looks fabulous, too.

20180105_100655_resized.jpg 20171228_151304_resized.jpg

20171228_151250_resized.jpg 20171228_151235_resized.jpg

20171228_151814_resized.jpg 20171228_151806_resized.jpg

20171228_151949_resized.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I big-time-puffy-heart-love that gypsy three stone. I had a single stone gypsy ring from JbG that was a bit bigger/bulkier, but absolutely bulletproof!

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@MakingTheGrade you read my mind haha! I found the vertical one also, 1st and second photo. I think its unique. I especially like photo 3 with the pears swoon :kiss2:

Also on this note:

images

and maybe Tiffany ARIA earrings but in ring form and the largest stone on top by itself:

https://www.tiffany.co.uk/jewelry/e...tracktile=new&fromcid=287464&trackgridpos=130

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I am just easily confused ... but I’m really curious about your reasons for asking this.
You say you love the current setting ... but have posted this thread. This makes me think that you must have more thoughts about this ... like ...why are you looking at it and thinking it might look better in another setting? Maybe you don’t really love the current setting, imo. Or does it have more to do with the fact that you have another diamond?
What is it about the current setting you’re having doubts about, exactly? I think it is lovely and more original than some ... but to me, in some ways it overpowers the center stone; however, I have a bias for solitaires when the center stone is very special ...
Maybe it’s hard for you to describe and it’s one of those dilemmas caused by too many choices, lol. This is definitely a forum of first world problems :wink2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in love with the setting that @gemgirl has!! 1B90434C-4798-4725-AE55-11F604FDE26D.jpeg 5FC1C5B4-C9DC-46BC-B6D1-1FF0A36AA2A8.jpeg 50BE6623-2973-4863-9857-E74399FF444B.jpeg 16D0BD7B-AB97-41E3-9D51-4B78587E25CB.jpeg
@pearaffair - here are some more photos I found. There is also a video on DKJ's instagram page for Jan 12th this year. I don't know how to link IG vids or photos. The center stone was .63, but I think a larger stone would look awesome, and it was my intent to do that, but I never got around to it. The sides here are only 11 pts each, I think. A curved diamond band underneath it looks fabulous, too.

20180105_100655_resized.jpg 20171228_151304_resized.jpg

20171228_151250_resized.jpg 20171228_151235_resized.jpg

20171228_151814_resized.jpg 20171228_151806_resized.jpg

20171228_151949_resized.jpg

Ugh - sorry @pearaffair! I just posted all the same photos! Sorry! Hopefully the stats will help, tho, and the video is worth checking out as well. It's a tank of a ring - elegantly made, but nothing is EVER hurting this baby! And yes, the most comfortable ring in the world. With the diamond band, it has plenty of bling, too.

Good luck!

Thank you for the pics! I think this is a style that would certainly be easy to wear ALL THE TIME. I sometimes/often like understated jewelry... so this would fit the bill.

I big-time-puffy-heart-love that gypsy three stone. I had a single stone gypsy ring from JbG that was a bit bigger/bulkier, but absolutely bulletproof!

Yes, bulletproof is a good word for it!

@MakingTheGrade you read my mind haha! I found the vertical one also, 1st and second photo. I think its unique. I especially like photo 3 with the pears swoon :kiss2:

Also on this note:

images

and maybe Tiffany ARIA earrings but in ring form and the largest stone on top by itself:

https://www.tiffany.co.uk/jewelry/e...tracktile=new&fromcid=287464&trackgridpos=130

Very cool options but they don’t make my heart flutter, personally.

I think you can do a graduated 5 stone ring. It just depends on the proportions and the setting. This is a ring that was posted last week:
011118-0542_3a7156f6-22d6-432c-9c22-71d860e74c23_1000x-jpg.663838

Thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...t-cut-are-these-diamonds.245474/#post-4461238

Oooo nice!!! I loved @Niel’s rolling ring with her 5-stone. I will keep it in mind.

Maybe I am just easily confused ... but I’m really curious about your reasons for asking this.
You say you love the current setting ... but have posted this thread. This makes me think that you must have more thoughts about this ... like ...why are you looking at it and thinking it might look better in another setting? Maybe you don’t really love the current setting, imo. Or does it have more to do with the fact that you have another diamond?
What is it about the current setting you’re having doubts about, exactly? I think it is lovely and more original than some ... but to me, in some ways it overpowers the center stone; however, I have a bias for solitaires when the center stone is very special ...
Maybe it’s hard for you to describe and it’s one of those dilemmas caused by too many choices, lol. This is definitely a forum of first world problems :wink2:

Thank you! The current setting IS very lovely and different and cool! I don’t think it shows off this diamond at all. I’d rather re-set a turquoise sapphire in the setting, and wear it as a right hand ring.

I bought this ring secondhand, if that makes more sense?

Actually... you guys, I’m super divided between Mrs-B’s amazing bulletproof lifestyle-friendly ring, and this super feminine and luxe beauty that @gemgirl has a 1.2ct in (pics above; gemgirl I hope you don’t mind me sharing your pics!)

I’m gaga over this setting. Not sure if my 6mm stone would suit it as much as her 7mm? Also would I never wear it because I change diapers all day and live in a poor part of town? Hmm. Oh well, no rush, I’m already married! ;-) Lots or time to think. After Xmas I’m definitely going to try some on!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair Both settings are equally gorgeous, albeit in different ways. The thing I keep coming back to is your comments regarding your need/desire for a ring that complements your lifestyle. No matter how beautiful a ring is, if you aren’t able to comfortably wear it, you won’t be able to enjoy it as much. So all other things being equal, the gypsy three-stone (or similiar style) would win out for me, at least for the time being. When your lifestyle changes, you can always go for a more ornate setting style.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like both options you are contemplating, halo vs 3 stone. I think something along the lines of the Whitney ring by Michael Bondanza is what you might be looking for. I like this ring as it appeals to both my sporty practical side but also to my size whore side. :lol-2: I'm not sure what it would look like with a cushion halo but probably could be tweaked. A 3 stone look could work if you had a larger melee stones flank the centre. Maybe someone with photoshop skills could do a mock up pic for you. I like it the way it is myself with the fluid sculptural lines. =)2

https://www.michaelbondanza.com/whitney

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ccuheartnurse I also like the Union by the same maker. But I’m a sucker for any design that also shows off a diamond’s pavilion so you can really appreciate all of it’s glory as well as have a nice view from the ‘south’ side. :love:

ECD30CB4-B62D-498C-888D-E74E01B8803E.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m slightly in the same position as OP, with a beautiful stone that needs a setting. I love the gypsy-set “bulletproof” ring and all the others show in this thread!

Maybe another option is to have it set in a milgrain bezel (bracelet or necklace) while your babies are young, so you can enjoy wearing it while washing your hands a million times a day? And then set it into a ring thereafter?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F0E8CBEE-24BD-495F-9F30-7DB42B6507D0.jpeg
@pearaffair Both settings are equally gorgeous, albeit in different ways. The thing I keep coming back to is your comments regarding your need/desire for a ring that complements your lifestyle. No matter how beautiful a ring is, if you aren’t able to comfortably wear it, you won’t be able to enjoy it as much. So all other things being equal, the gypsy three-stone (or similiar style) would win out for me, at least for the time being. When your lifestyle changes, you can always go for a more ornate setting style.

So wise! And you are so right.

I like both options you are contemplating, halo vs 3 stone. I think something along the lines of the Whitney ring by Michael Bondanza is what you might be looking for. I like this ring as it appeals to both my sporty practical side but also to my size whore side. :lol-2: I'm not sure what it would look like with a cushion halo but probably could be tweaked. A 3 stone look could work if you had a larger melee stones flank the centre. Maybe someone with photoshop skills could do a mock up pic for you. I like it the way it is myself with the fluid sculptural lines. =)2

https://www.michaelbondanza.com/whitney

@ccuheartnurse I also like the Union by the same maker. But I’m a sucker for any design that also shows off a diamond’s pavilion so you can really appreciate all of it’s glory as well as have a nice view from the ‘south’ side. :love:

ECD30CB4-B62D-498C-888D-E74E01B8803E.jpeg

Those are really good ideas!

@the_mother_thing I like that idea too. I think an open style basket could be tweaked into the design. =)2 Or grooved out like the Hyde Park rings ( I adore this collection).

https://www.michaelbondanza.com/hyde-park

Thanks!

I’m slightly in the same position as OP, with a beautiful stone that needs a setting. I love the gypsy-set “bulletproof” ring and all the others show in this thread!

Maybe another option is to have it set in a milgrain bezel (bracelet or necklace) while your babies are young, so you can enjoy wearing it while washing your hands a million times a day? And then set it into a ring thereafter?

Hehehe my little one loves grabbing necklaces so that’s not a perfect solution for me at this point. Maybe one day?

I’m currently thinking to put it in a temp setting so I can enjoy the focus on the diamond. It’s so lost in its current wide setting!

k

Yes this is my dream setting!!! :kiss2:

But what do you guys think if I put the diamond in a stuller solitaire while I plan other things? And save for a third stone? Eventually to do a gypsy set three stone?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EF13618E-7744-4062-98B1-926196B8557E.jpeg 5F62480A-03A6-47F6-A8EE-0A8E57E4C9B1.jpeg 3DCC92FB-34F0-41F4-B747-69375B7AF77F.jpeg F3C27AF1-C7D9-4965-A25F-CE5F98BDDB99.jpeg These are the two stuller settings I like as a temp option. What do you think?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
They’re lovely! May I suggest also including other vintage settings in your budget from eBay and Etsy, as well as jewels by grace and other sites? I’m sure you’ll find something easily using the millimeter size of your stone. Happy hunting!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EF13618E-7744-4062-98B1-926196B8557E.jpeg 5F62480A-03A6-47F6-A8EE-0A8E57E4C9B1.jpeg 3DCC92FB-34F0-41F4-B747-69375B7AF77F.jpeg F3C27AF1-C7D9-4965-A25F-CE5F98BDDB99.jpeg These are the two stuller settings I like as a temp option. What do you think?
I wouldn’t do a temp setting. Why do you need another soli if it isn’t where it’ll stay? I guess would be my question

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re lovely! May I suggest also including other vintage settings in your budget from eBay and Etsy, as well as jewels by grace and other sites? I’m sure you’ll find something easily using the millimeter size of your stone. Happy hunting!

Oh that would be great!! Let me know if you find any ;-)

I wouldn’t do a temp setting. Why do you need another soli if it isn’t where it’ll stay? I guess would be my question

It’s a great question. I don’t have the money for the gypsy ring yet (custom work plus another half carat diamond) but I want to enjoy the stone in the meantime. And I don’t want to resize the current setting because it’ll be perfect as a right hand ring with a sapphire in it :)

Pretty much I’d like the cheapest prettiest setting that can work for a year or maybe less.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with @Niel, I wouldn’t do a solitaire unless that is what you really want long term or unless you already have a setting that you can use (I believe you might have one YG setting that can fit your stone, unless it already sold). Alternatively, I would get a Stuller three stone setting and place an H&A CZ instead of the second side stone until you purchase a diamond. :D

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This! I am in the same boat.

Let me know if you find a good one!

I agree with @Niel, I wouldn’t do a solitaire unless that is what you really want long term or unless you already have a setting that you can use (I believe you might have one YG setting that can fit your stone, unless it already sold). Alternatively, I would get a Stuller three stone setting and place an H&A CZ instead of the second side stone until you purchase a diamond. :D

Simone, I had considered that!!!! But would it drive me craaaaazy??? Also my mom might be shopping for a three stone, so it has occurred to me that I could sell them or lend them to her ;-)

Also yes, I had a yellow gold mount that probably would’ve worked perfectly... but I thought “oh, I’m never going to use this! Let’s pass on the good deal to someone who will!” And was decluttering and I sold it and now I feel like a crazy lady!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi - which Stuller 3-stone is your fave?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used a Stuller as a temp setting and it was super comfy.

B05D4BB4-F563-4A46-B47A-BE9D2D31F61E.jpeg
0D4510CD-58CF-448F-AEE2-869384EC4760.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me know if you find a good one!

Simone, I had considered that!!!! But would it drive me craaaaazy??? Also my mom might be shopping for a three stone, so it has occurred to me that I could sell them or lend them to her ;-)

Also yes, I had a yellow gold mount that probably would’ve worked perfectly... but I thought “oh, I’m never going to use this! Let’s pass on the good deal to someone who will!” And was decluttering and I sold it and now I feel like a crazy lady!

Hmm..you know better how you will feel, but I completely understand! What I have personally found over the years that most times it pays off to wait to get what you really want. It is ok that you no longer have the yg soli. Another idea might be just to replace the head of your existing soli, if that is an option?

Regarding selling the stones to your mom, I would think about it twice before you do. Can you replace them for the same cost? Would you purchase something different if you are to sell them to her? Would you have any regrets? If any of these makes you second doubt, think about it a little longer before you do. Also, definitely think about possibly selling them to your mom before you purchase a new setting, if you might not want to hold onto them for too long.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results