shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a ring and rock! Proposal time

Corely

Rough_Rock
7302AA6B-8E88-47B3-A8FD-C1935F31D971.jpeg Got my refund today. Looked at some more diamonds he brought bit nothing spectacular. No hard feelings with him. I think he thinks he let me down which we’ll he kinda did. But they tried their best. Just wasn’t the quality needed for a proposal. Next stop Cartier in Paris for the Trinity ring. Going to just buy it in Paris in case she needs to exchange it for size or anything. Then ring shopping on the trip. Going on a cruise out of Rome. If y’all know any good places to shop diamond rings in Rome, Florence, marseille Genoa, tangiers, Barcelona, or the Canary Islands let me know. Thanks everyone!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a relief! Well done. Your cruise sounds fabulous and I hope the proposal goes well!

You may find that prices for diamonds in Europe are pretty high compared to the US, although I think sometimes you can get VAT back. Many of us would still advocate considering buying online but I agree it’s a good idea to look at some rings in person first! Best of luck!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Got my refund today. Looked at some more diamonds he brought bit nothing spectacular. No hard feelings with him. I think he thinks he let me down which we’ll he kinda did. But they tried their best. Just wasn’t the quality needed for a proposal. Next stop Cartier in Paris for the Trinity ring. Going to just buy it in Paris in case she needs to exchange it for size or anything. Then ring shopping on the trip. Going on a cruise out of Rome. If y’all know any good places to shop diamond rings in Rome, Florence, marseille Genoa, tangiers, Barcelona, or the Canary Islands let me know. Thanks everyone!

Glad to hear you got the refund! Good luck with "sneaking away" to pick up the trinity ring!

Honestly, I don't think you're going to find any "deals" in Europe due to the high VAT rates and generally higher prices in brick and mortar jewelers compared to online jewelers. I think it would be nice to try on some rings with her in person at various jewelers at the cruise stops, but try to explain to her "I want our money to go as far as possible towards getting you a beautiful ring, so I think it is best to wait until we get back stateside to order the E-ring."

For the $10k budget, you should be able to get a nice G-H color cushion around 1.5 carats with a well-designed halo if you wait until you get back stateside. But who knows if her tastes have changed since she first saw that "inspiration ring." She may want something completely different now. That's why it's great that you're going to be deciding on this together. :)

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wonderful!!!!! Sorry we ever doubted you, we’ve just seen so many people get burned!!!

Well, if he had waited until after the proposal when the 30 day return period had passed, then he most likely would've been burned. Even if the jeweler had told him in person that he could "return it anytime" I highly doubt he would've honored that promise if the NX's return policy for the bazaar only protected him for 30 days. That's why I'm so, so glad that he returned it before going on the trip. :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The plan and trip sounds fabulous. The only thing I'd change, is if your fiance was willing to wait, I'd wait until stateside to do the actual engagement ring shopping. If you did do your shopping in Europe, let her know the budget because it will still mean a nice ring, but smaller.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if he had waited until after the proposal when the 30 day return period had passed, then he most likely would've been burned. Even if the jeweler had told him in person that he could "return it anytime" I highly doubt he would've honored that promise if the NX's return policy for the bazaar only protected him for 30 days. That's why I'm so, so glad that he returned it before going on the trip. :)

Exactly. And if the fiancée had worn it for any time at all and there was a scratch ...

I love how so many people can become emotionally invested in someone else’s risk ... very sweet to see!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous news! So glad you got your refund no problems. I have a Trinity ring myself and think they are harder to gauge accurate sizing so maybe just surprise her with a trip to the store to buy one together?

Come back & show us happy snaps after! :dance:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
7302AA6B-8E88-47B3-A8FD-C1935F31D971.jpeg Got my refund today. Looked at some more diamonds he brought bit nothing spectacular. No hard feelings with him. I think he thinks he let me down which we’ll he kinda did. But they tried their best. Just wasn’t the quality needed for a proposal. Next stop Cartier in Paris for the Trinity ring. Going to just buy it in Paris in case she needs to exchange it for size or anything. Then ring shopping on the trip. Going on a cruise out of Rome. If y’all know any good places to shop diamond rings in Rome, Florence, marseille Genoa, tangiers, Barcelona, or the Canary Islands let me know. Thanks everyone!

This post was like opening up a little early christmas present....like many I was worried that you would have waited until after your trip. I'm so happy you're going to go with the trinity, it's a beautiful ring that's been on my list for a long time. I'm sure your fiance will be thrilled!

Keep us updated!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let’s brainstorm: how to turn shopping at Cartier into a magical proposal? Give her a ring box with a note in it, saying: “your presence is requested at Rue de ___cartier addreess__ for a special fitting”?

Or find a lunch spot right beside cartier? And then. Have him say: let’s just pop in here and look around? Meanwhile, cartier is expecting him and they have a few sizes of the rolling ring ready?

Or he pre-pays for the rolling ring, and a sales associate brings three sizes to the restaurant that is immediately nearby (uhh is this possible?) and when he comes to their table, OP says, oh, the dessert has arrived! Or maybe he buys three sizes and returns the two that don’t fit?

LOL am I nuts? I also have to remember that I’ve heard customer service in France can Ben different that in North America. But I think OP would enjoy a grand gesture of some sort. His ideas so far have been very Romantic.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let’s brainstorm: how to turn shopping at Cartier into a magical proposal? Give her a ring box with a note in it, saying: “your presence is requested at Rue de ___cartier addreess__ for a special fitting”?

Or find a lunch spot right beside cartier? And then. Have him say: let’s just pop in here and look around? Meanwhile, cartier is expecting him and they have a few sizes of the rolling ring ready?

Or he pre-pays for the rolling ring, and a sales associate brings three sizes to the restaurant that is immediately nearby (uhh is this possible?) and when he comes to their table, OP says, oh, the dessert has arrived! Or maybe he buys three sizes and returns the two that don’t fit?

LOL am I nuts? I also have to remember that I’ve heard customer service in France can Ben different that in North America. But I think OP would enjoy a grand gesture of some sort. His ideas so far have been very Romantic.

Aw, I like these ideas. :) But you should definitely be careful with the first note idea. Seeing "Cartier" and "special fitting" may put this image into her mind:
https://www.cartier.com/en-us/colle...inee/n4751500-cartier-destinee-solitaire.html

That could lead to some... complications. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
customer service in France
:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:
That's what's customer service in France is: a joke.... Sorry, but I doubt they'd take anything outside their store. I DO think though, I that with a nice phonecall and an appointment one could get a very nice shopping experience and also skip the line if there's any...

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, I like these ideas. :) But you should definitely be careful with the first note idea. Seeing "Cartier" and "special fitting" may put this image into her mind:
https://www.cartier.com/en-us/colle...inee/n4751500-cartier-destinee-solitaire.html

That could lead to some... complications. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

HAHA yeah it’s problematic to be sure!!!

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:
That's what's customer service in France is: a joke.... Sorry, but I doubt they'd take anything outside their store. I DO think though, I that with a nice phonecall and an appointment one could get a very nice shopping experience and also skip the line if there's any...

Haha I totally agree... but let’s keep our thinking caps on! OP needs a gesture that his fiancée can excitedly tell her friends and family about, a story that makes his chest swell with pride as she gushes over what a sweetheart he is! Lol :)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Corely I’m glad you stopped by on this forum and trusted us with your situation. Good luck with your proposal and many congratulations to you both! Maybe stop back with a hand shot or two! :appl:

Corely

Rough_Rock
A513804B-DD15-42EC-8C6F-34FBB47BAB48.jpeg This is actually the one I am looking at. The trinity with 5 small diamonds in it. Figure I can still do the mirror scratch speech with it at L’aperouse cause this one has some rocks in it. Been talking with Cartier and the shop at the Champs Elysses has it on hold for me in 6.5. The rub is they DO NOT do refunds if she decides she doesn’t like it. Can exchange it for a different size or for something else in the store... but no refunds on purchases. So that’s another gamble. At least it’s inky a $3k gamble and not a $10k one. Oh and they said they will most likely be closed on Sat for protests so would have to do any size changes or engravings on Sunday. What do y’all think of this one? Is it better without the diamonds?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A513804B-DD15-42EC-8C6F-34FBB47BAB48.jpeg This is actually the one I am looking at. The trinity with 5 small diamonds in it. Figure I can still do the mirror scratch speech with it at L’aperouse cause this one has some rocks in it. Been talking with Cartier and the shop at the Champs Elysses has it on hold for me in 6.5. The rub is they DO NOT do refunds if she decides she doesn’t like it. Can exchange it for a different size or for something else in the store... but no refunds on purchases. So that’s another gamble. At least it’s inky a $3k gamble and not a $10k one. Oh and they said they will most likely be closed on Sat for protests so would have to do any size changes or engravings on Sunday. What do y’all think of this one? Is it better without the diamonds?

I love this one (personally). I think the small diamonds in it are gorgeous, and it's a classic cartier piece. But I know others prefer the plain band. I think the small diamonds make it more unique.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both rings are gorgeous classics and you cannot go wrong. If you're just adding the diamonds for the scratch test in l'aperouse however, I'd have a critical look. At the way they are set.
They are very low set in order to allow for smooth rolling and I guess you'd risk scratching the metal on the mirror...
Did they also tell you that you can skip any potential queues at Cartier? I think just coming for a reserved item this should be possible...

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like both. I say as long as the diamond option doesn’t subtract from the eventual e-ring budget, go diamonds! But if it will subtract, save that money for a big beautiful rock and go for the classic sans diamonds.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually try to keep my comments as factual, but this "scratch test" tradition has sent me over the edge for it shear idiocy and disrespect to the giver. This sounds like a story that starts with "hey, watch me..." and the bad outcome to follow those words. :eek2:

Diamonds will not be damaged by glass relative to scratching -- but, you can damage prongs, metal, or chip the stone. You can bend the prongs and loose a stone. :wall:

If you can't be trusted by your future partner to be honest about the stone, she should say "no" to a proposal. You should not have to "prove" your worth by proving a diamond is real, unless you are from a culture that requires a dowry to be of a specific value. I'd be offended if this was done to a gift I offered to my DH or my DH had offered to do this for me. It is not romantic, to me, to do something irresponsible to an object of value because of some ridiculous and disrespectful "tradition". You either are or are not "worthy" in your heart. You either are or are not trusted by your partner.

...Stepping off my soap-box...

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, this test doesn't even make much sense in modern times, seeing as most of the current sims (like Moissanite) will survive the "scratch test" as well. Actually, while diamond is technically harder, moissanite is tougher than diamond, as diamond has perfect cleavage whereas moissanite has indistinct cleavage. Meaning that a diamond would be much more likely to suffer from abrasions and micro-fractures along a crown facet from the "scratch test" than a moissanite would.

Moral of the story: The scratch test is stupid. Do not purposefully try to scratch a diamond with something.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually try to keep my comments as factual, but this "scratch test" tradition has sent me over the edge for it shear idiocy and disrespect to the giver. This sounds like a story that starts with "hey, watch me..." and the bad outcome to follow those words. :eek2:

Diamonds will not be damaged by glass relative to scratching -- but, you can damage prongs, metal, or chip the stone. You can bend the prongs and loose a stone. :wall:

If you can't be trusted by your future partner to be honest about the stone, she should say "no" to a proposal. You should not have to "prove" your worth by proving a diamond is real, unless you are from a culture that requires a dowry to be of a specific value. I'd be offended if this was done to a gift I offered to my DH or my DH had offered to do this for me. It is not romantic, to me, to do something irresponsible to an object of value because of some ridiculous and disrespectful "tradition". You either are or are not "worthy" in your heart. You either are or are not trusted by your partner.

...Stepping off my soap-box...
I'm so happy someone else said this. I was close to exploding.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy someone else said this. I was close to exploding.

All true - very true - and for those reasons I am also against the scratch test ... but c’mon people! This is part of history! Why so critical of a different time and age? Maybe just pretend to do it ... I think that in his day and age we can still have fun with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results