shape
carat
color
clarity

Your bling wish-list for 2018

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I'm with you. Bring lunch every day. No starbucks or Peets. One venti or large can buy a whole half gallon of milk. No more clothes that I have no room for anyway. No more shoes, except running shoes since I don't want an injury. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a pair of Kenneth Cole boots that should last me 15 years. My old pair lasted 10 years, and would have lasted longer if my feet didn't blow up when I got pregnant. No more workout or yoga clothes. No more $16/pair of running socks. My goal for 2018 is to save enough BEFORE I BUY, whatever it is I want. Not even sure yet.

And I have figured out I do NOT want any more VCA stone pieces. For a person who finds it a hassle to take off jewelry, those pieces that need to be taken off every day are just not for me. Just gold, platinum and diamonds please. I really don't know what I want for 2018. I want to get only one piece, and it has to be something I love and something forever. Wish me luck!

I second that sentiment, @LLJsmom and @yssie ! It's frightening how much little things add up over time. I really need to save up and not spend so much in order to reach my 2 goals.

Can't wait to see what you end up with, LLJsmom. I think it's great to really think about what you want and get a piece that you will love and cherish forever.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren, I am so glad to hear you and your children are doing well. I’m sending hugs and love to you, you’ve been through a rough time and you are very brave. It’s great to hear the positive update. I wish I could win the lottery so I could buy those earrings for you, you deserve them :D

Me too me too!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am at a place where I don't know what I want! I feel like I love the things I already have, but much of it is worn rarely. On a daily basis I wear my AVR ring set, studs or hoops, diamond cross pendant, and sometimes my Tank Francaise. That's it most days. I have two unset stones. One is a beautiful antique cushion yellow sapphire cut by Jeff White, but I found the light yellow AVC shortly after getting that, so I really don't think I need two yellow cushions. Then I also have a 2 ct O AVR that I've been thinking about setting in a Casablanca, but I am wondering why I need another diamond ring when I mostly wear my 2.3 AVR and have two other diamond rings sitting in a case!!! So I am on the fence about keeping or selling those.

I adore VCA Alhambra, and my gold vintage bracelet is one of my favorite buys ever. I love that bracelet! But, I struggle with justifying the price of the stone pieces, because they just seem more fragile to me and maybe not as long lasting. I've found some excellent repros, though, and I have a couple of stone pendants of equal quality at a much more reasonable price that I can wear with the bracelet. Just not sure what else I might want in that line.

I guess I'd like a ruby, a purple and maybe hot pink sapphire, and maybe even a great blue sapphire. The insane thing about all of those is that I rarely wear a RHR!!!! I alternate my diamond rings on my left hand mostly. So basically, I need nothing whatsoever. I just love collecting. Hope all my girls will love jewelry! :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may actually set aside my practical side for a moment in 2018 and get something sparkly. I always look and want but haven't gotten since my ER/WB/necklace when we got married. (well, okay... there was that plain band to wear while working). DH is supportive and encourages me to find what I'll love but my own mind yells until I just can't go through with it. We still have some bills from when DH was laid off that I want to get rid of plus retirement & emergency savings to build.

That said....
I will be turning 33 in March, graduating with my BS in June (after nearly TEN years!), and our 5th wedding anniversary is in October.

My practical wish-list is just a 1.3-1.8 diamond (narrowed down to my 5 or 6 favorite cuts...) to go in my existing ER setting.
If I get a great job soon after graduating, I would also love to get a tennis bracelet.

P

PierreBear

So exciting to hear all the fun projects coming down the pipeline. Nothing for me in the jewelry department but there are always house/car/travel/clothes items that might pop up. I'll live vicariously through ya'll!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am at a place where I don't know what I want! I feel like I love the things I already have, but much of it is worn rarely. On a daily basis I wear my AVR ring set, studs or hoops, diamond cross pendant, and sometimes my Tank Francaise. That's it most days. I have two unset stones. One is a beautiful antique cushion yellow sapphire cut by Jeff White, but I found the light yellow AVC shortly after getting that, so I really don't think I need two yellow cushions. Then I also have a 2 ct O AVR that I've been thinking about setting in a Casablanca, but I am wondering why I need another diamond ring when I mostly wear my 2.3 AVR and have two other diamond rings sitting in a case!!! So I am on the fence about keeping or selling those.

I adore VCA Alhambra, and my gold vintage bracelet is one of my favorite buys ever. I love that bracelet! But, I struggle with justifying the price of the stone pieces, because they just seem more fragile to me and maybe not as long lasting. I've found some excellent repros, though, and I have a couple of stone pendants of equal quality at a much more reasonable price that I can wear with the bracelet. Just not sure what else I might want in that line.

I guess I'd like a ruby, a purple and maybe hot pink sapphire, and maybe even a great blue sapphire. The insane thing about all of those is that I rarely wear a RHR!!!! I alternate my diamond rings on my left hand mostly. So basically, I need nothing whatsoever. I just love collecting. Hope all my girls will love jewelry! :lol:

DS, I L:love:VE all your jewellery and I especially love that you put so much thought into selecting each and every single piece and that you always have your girls in mind in your selection.

You have an O AVR? Have you posted it on SMTB?=)2

Re Alhambra stone pieces, I know what you mean. I hear Onyx is supposed to be extremely durable though. Also, how about matching YG Alhambra earrings? (not that I'm enabling..yeah, I am, lol;)2).

I ADORE sapphires, esp blue sapphires, one like Acinom's.:love: Rubies are super gorgeous but they're sooo expensive, esp in larger sizes!!:knockout:

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I L:love:VE all your jewellery and I especially love that you put so much thought into selecting each and every single piece and that you always have your girls in mind in your selection.

You have an O AVR? Have you posted it on SMTB?=)2

Re Alhambra stone pieces, I know what you mean. I hear Onyx is supposed to be extremely durable though. Also, how about matching YG Alhambra earrings? (not that I'm enabling..yeah, I am, lol;)2).

I ADORE sapphires, esp blue sapphires, one like Acinom's.:love: Rubies are super gorgeous but they're sooo expensive, esp in larger sizes!!:knockout:

Aww, thanks, Phoenix! I haven't set the O AVR yet so that's why it isn't posted!

Actually, I do want the yg vintage Alhambra earrings. I previously thought I wanted the onyx earrings but I tried both on when m-2-b and I went shopping in the spring and I found that the onyx didn't show up with my dark hair but the yg really did. (Although in a few years I may go to a deep silver gray hair color, and I am not sure I would wear yg earrings!!!:eek-2: ) I think I'd like the long Magic Onyx pendant that can be worn at 36" or doubled at 18".

If I get a ruby, it will likely be under 2 carats and have a setting that makes up for the size of the stone! lol! Sapphires are my favorite, so I am fairly sure another of those will be in my future!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous plans for everyone! Congrats! I love that RM watch. :love:

Sadly no bling in 2018 for me. We are finally putting air conditioning in this house and it needs new siding as well. But I did buy a gorgeous roundish Tahitian strand, 11-13.8mm, this year to string myself so if I don't get it done before the end of the year then that will be my 2018 bling. :lol:

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, thanks, Phoenix! I haven't set the O AVR yet so that's why it isn't posted!

Actually, I do want the yg vintage Alhambra earrings. I previously thought I wanted the onyx earrings but I tried both on when m-2-b and I went shopping in the spring and I found that the onyx didn't show up with my dark hair but the yg really did. (Although in a few years I may go to a deep silver gray hair color, and I am not sure I would wear yg earrings!!!:eek-2: ) I think I'd like the long Magic Onyx pendant that can be worn at 36" or doubled at 18".

If I get a ruby, it will likely be under 2 carats and have a setting that makes up for the size of the stone! lol! Sapphires are my favorite, so I am fairly sure another of those will be in my future!

You know, @diamondseeker2006, it's funny. I've always read that darker earrings do not show up well on ladies with dark hair. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw a Chinese SA wearing the LE Onyx Alhambra earrings in VCA London in August this year! They were beautiful and showed up so well on her!!:love:. I was THAT close to buying them then but didn't. I've been obsessing about them since. Finally, my husband is getting them for me for my b'day in a few weeks' time (b'day + Xmas combo prezie). A long Magic Onyx pendant would be AMAZING!:love:

Can't wait to see your YG Alhambra earrings and ruby and/ or sapphire, when you get them! and look forward to seeing pics of your O AVR on SMTB!!:clap:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I hear you re: the house projects. I also need to do a bunch of stuff around my house, including replacing the ac unit on my house (gaak!). Other things are replacing my front and back door, bathroom faucet repair, and playing around with updating the kitchen. Fortunately I have become friends with someone who will help me with the house projects, so they can be done without paying "retail". That gave me enough freedom to go ahead and order the diamond for the ring project. I will just have to play it by ear when I actually set it, as the list of house projects keeps getting longer! But at least I don't have to feel antsy about missing out on the diamond I was eying!

Q

Queenie60

Not sure as of yet. I tend to change my mind often. I'm drooling over Rhino's new ovals and I am also considering a 3/4 eternity band.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may actually set aside my practical side for a moment in 2018 and get something sparkly. I always look and want but haven't gotten since my ER/WB/necklace when we got married. (well, okay... there was that plain band to wear while working). DH is supportive and encourages me to find what I'll love but my own mind yells until I just can't go through with it. We still have some bills from when DH was laid off that I want to get rid of plus retirement & emergency savings to build.

That said....
I will be turning 33 in March, graduating with my BS in June (after nearly TEN years!), and our 5th wedding anniversary is in October.

My practical wish-list is just a 1.3-1.8 diamond (narrowed down to my 5 or 6 favorite cuts...) to go in my existing ER setting.
If I get a great job soon after graduating, I would also love to get a tennis bracelet.

Wowza! You have some important milestones coming up, huh.

Sending you good luck dust for the bills, savings, and of course BLING!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous plans for everyone! Congrats! I love that RM watch. :love:

Sadly no bling in 2018 for me. We are finally putting air conditioning in this house and it needs new siding as well. But I did buy a gorgeous roundish Tahitian strand, 11-13.8mm, this year to string myself so if I don't get it done before the end of the year then that will be my 2018 bling. :lol:

Isn't that gorgeous?!:love: I might just decide to get that in lieu of the diamond upgrade.

I am with you on house projects. Our house renovation was 11 years ago and it now needs a bunch of upgrades. So, alas I'll need to "sacrifice" some of my personal needs, aka bling needs!:blackeye:...lol

I love Tahitian pearls. Have quite a few myself. Sounds gorgeous, pics please? 13.8mm is HUGE btw!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know what I want to get for 2018 though I know I’m overdue to a cleaning out of the jewelry box for things I rarely wear.

I might get something in an opal as I’ve been really enjoying my crystal opal ring lately which makes me hanker for a black opal. Or maybe set some my loose gems. Choices!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Absolutely nothing!! 2017 was unexpectedly a big year for me with Bertie and my new necklace.

I will say I'm tempted to upgrade my studs, but then my IDJ jackets won't fit, so I doubt I'd go through with it....unless I gift them to DD when she turns 16 in a few years and get Mama a new pair!? :Up_to_something:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely nothing!! 2017 was unexpectedly a big year for me with Bertie and my new necklace.

I will say I'm tempted to upgrade my studs, but then my IDJ jackets won't fit, so I doubt I'd go through with it....unless I gift them to DD when she turns 16 in a few years and get Mama a new pair!? :Up_to_something:

Now, we're talking! lol

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, am thinking of upgrading my studs to something closer to 9-9.5mm each. Alas, BGD's stones are slim pickings, which is just as well bc I am supposed to be saving a for big 'un. (either upgrade Holly or go for another stone altogether - yeah, I still can't make up my mind yet...just waiting to see if something magnificent comes along...could be a loooooooong wait!!).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, I know...it's not 2018 yet!!:P2 I'm already thinking of what I'd like next year. 2017 was an incredible year, as was 2016, bling-wise. Having suffered from a couple of minor health issues this year, I'm all the more determined to enjoy my bling as much as possible now.

So, for next year, I have 2 big-ticket items:

1) upgrade Holly to a 6-7ct+ super-ideal cut diamond, G-H colour, VS clarity. This may very well take longer than a year to accomplish, but hey I might as well start the process now.
2) a Richard Mille or another high-end blingy watch, but not sure what or which model yet. I'd better get round to getting another watch. I only have one atm and am wearing it to death! lol

What are yours? I'd love to hear. Pics would be a bonus.

I wanted to update this thread...

For me, neither one of those goals has been achieved. I've finally decided to reset Holy. Still want to get a blingy watch - ack, that's so difficult bc I have tiny wrists and most larger watches look ridiculous on me!:nono:

Instead, I got the VCA 2018 holiday pendant and I finally got the 5-motif pave Alhambra bracelet in WG. The reason the latter wasn't even on my wish-list was bc I already had/ have the 6-motif pave Sweet Alhambra bracelet and didn't want something similar. Turned out I don't really care if I have similar looking items!:lol:

Look forward to hearing update from everyone.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Turned out I don't really care if I have similar looking items!

Amin!

I tend to renew a small set of highly personal jewelry every few years, and now is that time.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amin!

I tend to renew a small set of highly personal jewelry every few years, and now is that time.

Would you care to share the details?:))

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Would you care to share the details?

The stuff I like makes little sense for jewelers to make: simplest shapes in gold (eg. an open bangle, solid; the same shape at larger scale for a necklace, or small - flatter & twisted & crossed around a finger). The value is nearly just the material. A lab I am working with has the right gear for me to play with gold (I think).

I am also wishing for a suite of rock crystal with some diamonds involved (see my 'Obsession' thread). These will be ordered. I would love to have YF's signature on the diamonds involved .)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stuff I like makes little sense for jewelers to make: simplest shapes in gold (eg. an open bangle, solid; the same shape at larger scale for a necklace, or small - flatter & twisted & crossed around a finger). The value is nearly just the material. A lab I am working with has the right gear for me to play with gold (I think).

I am also wishing for a suite of rock crystal with some diamonds involved (see my 'Obsession' thread). These will be ordered. I would love to have YF's signature on the diamonds involved .)

I'd love to see once these are done.

Reactions: AV_

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wish list has just 2 items, a 3-4ct step cut in split shank setting and a GSSP pendant to match my GSSP earrings. Would also like to upgrade studs but most likely won't happen in 2018.
Neither of the two items came of my list. I tried to buy a pearl pendant through pearl paradise but found them unwilling to work with me on finding a close match to earrings. Kind of put me off buying pearls for a while. The search for the step cut hasn't produced a stone that grabbed me and I had to have it. I wonder if I reached my diamond saturation point:eek2:. I have seen it happen to other PSers:cry2:.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I stil have three projects in production with DKJ (2 rings and a pendant) - so I'm not done with 2017 yet! However...having said that...

Next year I'm planning to re-set my SS pearl and diamond earrings. Currently they're 14.5mm pearls with 1.02ctw of BGD diamonds. I'm changing up the style and upping the diamond ctw to 2.38ctw. This is not an enormous job, but it ain't nothin' neither - so it might be all I do in 2018.

However, if my earrings, currently for sale in the pre-loved section, ever sell, I plan to buy another .95ct diamond to go with the one I already have. It's <ahem> possible that I might dismantle my VC ring and turn it into a more substantial 3 stone with round sides - something in the 4+ctw range. I miss having a 3 stone and they've always been my ideal style. I'm planning to put a good, colored, stone in the current setting; there is NO WAY I'll be getting rid of that beauty!

But the BIG year is 2020 - when I turn 60. I've been bitten by the bug I caught from @canuk-gal - stacking diamond bangles! - and I'd like to get 2 more for my stack. I'm also going to finally tackle the diamond studs project. Yay!

Well, THIS turned out to be very interesting!

I did do the pearls with the extra diamonds, and I did do the 3-stone - after traveling a veeeeery circuitous route! And I did get another .95ct stone and made my large cluster earrings, completing my set of cluster earrings, ring and pendant.

But I also did my super, super glorious opal 'Merry' ring with matching wedder, bought a pair of white 12mm SS pearl studs, a pair of 11mm golden SS pearl studs, and had various anniversary bands made / remade, so that I have one in each of the 3 main metals (plat., yellow and white gold). I did 2 pairs of yellow gold and rose gold hoops - which I LOVE - and I did my grey spinel ring. I made 2 pairs of diamond studs - one for my niece and one for a close girlfriend, and I made a Holly wedder, a larger 9 stone yellow gold anni band, and a gorgeous diamond and platinum pin - all for myself. I extended my diamond drop earrings, and had them switched to yellow gold.

Things that didn't make the cut....

The VC pear-with-rounds Trilogy didn't survive. I used the pears in the pearl-and-diamonds earring upgrade and sold the center stone to fund everything else. I burned through 3 e-ring settings - FAST! - before landing at my HG setting 2 months ago. I did a bezel set 3 stone ring - which I loved but which just looked too small on my finger. I might do this one again at some point, we'll see.

Next year I'm looking at a pin, 2 ring settings, and a starter diamond. And it's possible that I might stray into the land of warm colored ECs....

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know what I want to get for 2018 though I know I’m overdue to a cleaning out of the jewelry box for things I rarely wear.

I might get something in an opal as I’ve been really enjoying my crystal opal ring lately which makes me hanker for a black opal. Or maybe set some my loose gems. Choices!

Definitely cleaned out the jewelery box. And did in fact get an opal and set some loose gems. All in all a successful year :)

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Shocking...since we're on a jewellery forum but there is nothing on my wish list. I've reached a point when I can afford to buy myself many things and after a while, it's just another piece for the jewellery box so only sentimental pieces from now on.

My aunt gave me my grandmother's jade and diamond earrings last weekend. In time for Christmas and my upcoming 50th birthday. It was quite an emotional moment to receive these earrings. A bit of background. My grandmother passed away 43 years ago so this piece has not been worn since 1975! My aunt never wore them.

IMG_6417.JPG

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither of the two items came of my list. I tried to buy a pearl pendant through pearl paradise but found them unwilling to work with me on finding a close match to earrings. Kind of put me off buying pearls for a while. The search for the step cut hasn't produced a stone that grabbed me and I had to have it. I wonder if I reached my diamond saturation point:eek2:. I have seen it happen to other PSers:cry2:.

Lol. Sacrilege!:lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, THIS turned out to be very interesting!

I did do the pearls with the extra diamonds, and I did do the 3-stone - after traveling a veeeeery circuitous route! And I did get another .95ct stone and made my large cluster earrings, completing my set of cluster earrings, ring and pendant.

But I also did my super, super glorious opal 'Merry' ring with matching wedder, bought a pair of white 12mm SS pearl studs, a pair of 11mm golden SS pearl studs, and had various anniversary bands made / remade, so that I have one in each of the 3 main metals (plat., yellow and white gold). I did 2 pairs of yellow gold and rose gold hoops - which I LOVE - and I did my grey spinel ring. I made 2 pairs of diamond studs - one for my niece and one for a close girlfriend, and I made a Holly wedder, a larger 9 stone yellow gold anni band, and a gorgeous diamond and platinum pin - all for myself. I extended my diamond drop earrings, and had them switched to yellow gold.

Things that didn't make the cut....

The VC pear-with-rounds Trilogy didn't survive. I used the pears in the pearl-and-diamonds earring upgrade and sold the center stone to fund everything else. I burned through 3 e-ring settings - FAST! - before landing at my HG setting 2 months ago. I did a bezel set 3 stone ring - which I loved but which just looked too small on my finger. I might do this one again at some point, we'll see.

Next year I'm looking at a pin, 2 ring settings, and a starter diamond. And it's possible that I might stray into the land of warm colored ECs....

You did indeed have a super busy 2018, @mrs-b. I've enjoyed reading the many threads on your numerous projects (had a little trouble keeping up, truth be told, haha) and loving pics of your amazing beauties. Which ones would you say are your faves? Which do you wear the most? And if you were to do it all over again (restricting only to 2018, lol), would you do anything differently and how?

I look forward to seeing your new ventures in 2019 and especially your milestone b'day in 2020. How very exciting indeed!!:dance::dance::dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results