shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics in natural light of the ring

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I'm pretty sure this is the stone from the bazaar. It might be the same person as the on-base option. But either way I'm losing hope that OP will get a refund, even if he asks for it.

londonbased

Rough_Rock
Can I just say to OP, I have been a member of this board for about a week. Already based on advice I received on PS, I saved $1,350!

I had purchased a diamond. I was advised on this board that the exact same diamond (same GIA number) was available from a different vendor for $1,350 less. I was also advised that the place I got it from may price match. I followed the advice and the vendor agreed to price match. Saving me a significant sum of money.

OP - these PS guys know what they are talking about...you would be wise to follow the advice you receive on here.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, I'm pretty sure this is the stone from the bazaar. It might be the same person as the on-base option. But either way I'm losing hope that OP will get a refund, even if he asks for it.

When I saw that the advice of that previous thread was ignored and the OP came back with the same stone, apparently expecting positive responses, I lost hope in this whole thing, lol.

But I should be more positive and hope everything works out ... somehow ... still rooting for the OP but ...

I just don’t understand the reasoning.

Corely

Rough_Rock

Posted in the other thread about the refund status.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond I wanted to say thanks for the voice of reason. I lost what thread your comments were on, so I’m putting it here.

This vendor is in Afghanistan, so it stands to reason he doesn’t know PS standards and quality.

OP said 3 carats so he found him 3 carats. It’s a hot mess but the vendor did get what he asked for...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Corely, did you get a refund yet?

Corely

Rough_Rock
Holy Crap.. .yall arn't gonna believe this:
While looking up the times of the Cartier store in the Dubai Airport... not only did I see their Duty Free shops are 24 hrs but I leave Dubai on December 20th. Just so happens by luck of the draw 20 December is the anniversary of the airports opening and they have big discounts on all the duty free stuff at the airport. So that will be something I will be looking at for sure.

Dubai Duty Free
is famed for its promotions, including luxury car raffle. you can get massive discounts on 20 December, the anniversary of its opening. For example, in 2006, celebrated its 23rd anniversary by offering a discount of 23% for the day.

Dubai Duty Free is open 24 hours a day. Most stores are located in the departure area, although there is a smaller section of the arrivals.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While looking up the times of the Cartier store in the Dubai Airport... not only did I see their Duty Free shops are 24 hrs but I leave Dubai on December 20th. Just so happens by luck of the draw 20 December is the anniversary of the airports opening and they have big discounts on all the duty free stuff at the airport. So that will be something I will be looking at for sure.

Dubai Duty Free
is famed for its promotions, including luxury car raffle. you can get massive discounts on 20 December, the anniversary of its opening. For example, in 2006, celebrated its 23rd anniversary by offering a discount of 23% for the day.

Dubai Duty Free is open 24 hours a day. Most stores are located in the departure area, although there is a smaller section of the arrivals.
See, things work in mysterious ways.:appl:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Dubai Duty Free

That’s awesome news!!!!!

Ah love to see things work out for people!

ps yes I did notice no mention of the refund lol ... still hoping for good news there too!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Dubai Duty Free

Good to hear! But just be aware, the duty free shop operates separately from the designer boutiques, at least in the major airports (including Dubai) that I've visited. Usually the duty free shops have the booze, cosmetics/perfumes, food/candy, and other little trinkets. So, while you may find Dior perfume in the duty free shop, you won't find a Dior handbag there.

The watches, jewelry, and handbags are usually housed in the individual designer boutiques that are in separate storefronts/kiosks from the main Duty Free shop, so the promotion might not apply to these. Would definitely be cool if the Cartier boutique offered 20% off, but I highly doubt it. ;-)

Corely

Rough_Rock
Dadburn, the only Cartier they have at the Dubai Airport are perfumes no actual jewelry. Iv been doing some McGiver work trying to search the stuff out here. They do have an Omega store which I'm interested in seeing if the discount applies. Its actually Dec 18-20th this year and its 25% off everything at the airport. I sent an email to ask if they are only certain items or stores where that applies waiting to hear back.

I also contacted Cartier and asked them if I buy the Legacy ring in Dubai and by chance I get the wrong size or something can she exchange it in Paris... Answer was not a chance. So.. ugggg.. I may have to find a way to sneak away somehow in Paris the first day and buy this thing while there. Also contacted the CDG airport and asked if I could shop the Cartier boutique as an arrival passenger and that was a big fat NO to. Taxes will be more and cost slightly more but I don't want to risk her not liking it or getting the wrong size so should probly purchase in Paris to have the options.

As for Refund. Bazaar appointment is tomorrow on Sunday, it always has been. He's going to show whatever "top shelf" diamonds he can come up with and when they don't meet what I need we agreed its refund time. Its the ritual of the Bazzaar. As per my post the other day I have 30 days per the base policy to refund so I'm giving him a chance to do better but highly doubt he can. Thanks everyone!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Dadburn, the only Cartier they have at the Dubai Airport are perfumes no actual jewelry. Iv been doing some McGiver work trying to search the stuff out here. They do have an Omega store which I'm interested in seeing if the discount applies. Its actually Dec 18-20th this year and its 25% off everything at the airport. I sent an email to ask if they are only certain items or stores where that applies waiting to hear back.

I also contacted Cartier and asked them if I buy the Legacy ring in Dubai and by chance I get the wrong size or something can she exchange it in Paris... Answer was not a chance. So.. ugggg.. I may have to find a way to sneak away somehow in Paris the first day and buy this thing while there. Also contacted the CDG airport and asked if I could shop the Cartier boutique as an arrival passenger and that was a big fat NO to. Taxes will be more and cost slightly more but I don't want to risk her not liking it or getting the wrong size so should probly purchase in Paris to have the options.

As for Refund. Bazaar appointment is tomorrow on Sunday, it always has been. He's going to show whatever "top shelf" diamonds he can come up with and when they don't meet what I need we agreed its refund time. Its the ritual of the Bazzaar. As per my post the other day I have 30 days per the base policy to refund so I'm giving him a chance to do better but highly doubt he can. Thanks everyone!

Sorry the Carrrier thing is causing difficulties ... what about just a surprise shopping trip? Pretend to just be looking?

Good luck tomorrow!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5EE2F012-CD51-4377-9B4A-1E92A1E017BB.png 4DD7E7CB-F2CF-462F-8D4A-8CB5ED614D29.png Hmmm...

I wonder if a necklace would do the trick? Or a bracelet?

For the bracelet, the two tiny circles could be your gf and her daughter, and you could be represented by the chain that makes the whole circle complete <3

This is assuming there is a T&Co in Dubai, but I’m sure there is. Then you have the link to Dubai, to Paris, and to the moment you two get engaged... and I still love the notion that you two are making so many life decisions together, that designing an engagement ring together is a natural progression! But she still has a keepsake to remember the moment and to show off to family and friends while you work on the ring.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disclaimer- I don’t think the above setting will work with your budget, but I wanted you to see an example of excellent craftsmanship.

Corely

Rough_Rock
0AFCB6C0-F8F7-4DA4-AC42-2DB846221072.jpeg Got my refund today. Looked at some more diamonds he brought bit nothing spectacular. No hard feelings with him. I think he thinks he let me down which we’ll he kinda did. But they tried their best. Just wasn’t the quality needed for a proposal. Next stop Cartier in Paris for the Trinity ring. Going to just buy it in Paris in case she needs to exchange it for size or anything. Then ring shopping on the trip. Going on a cruise out of Rome. If y’all know any good places to shop diamond rings in Rome, Florence, marseille Genoa, tangiers, Barcelona, or the Canary Islands let me know. Thanks everyone!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay to your refund!! Awesome !!
:appl:
0AFCB6C0-F8F7-4DA4-AC42-2DB846221072.jpeg If y’all know any good places to shop diamond rings in Rome, Florence, marseille Genoa, tangiers, Barcelona, or the Canary Islands let me know. Thanks everyone!
PLEASE DON'T BUY DIAMONDS IN ANY OF THESE PLACES!

Sorry for the all caps, but I'm trying to be clear here. You made a really narrow escape here with the first purchase. Don't get yourself in trouble again!!!!!

Fact 1:diamonds are pricier than in the US for consumers everywhere in the world. Including South Africa, Antwerp etc.
No "Deals" there.
The cheap stuff is cr**py quality (hideous cut/color/clarity, possibly enhanced) you always get what you pay for.
Fact 2:there are trusted PS vendors for a reason. People on here have been buying from them for years. Hence the trust.
Fact 3: Google diamond buys on cruises. Biggest rip off ever. DON'T. JUST DON'T. PLEASE.

If you want to get high quality items in Paris or Rome no problem . But you'll be paying prices along the lines of Cartier, Van Cleef, Tiffany's. So your budget will land you in the 0.8-1 CT territory.
I'm sorry to be preachy, but this thread was nerve wrecking. Don't do this to us again. Please.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay to your refund!! Awesome !!
:appl:

PLEASE DON'T BUY DIAMONDS IN ANY OF THESE PLACES!

Sorry for the all caps, but I'm trying to be clear here. You made a really narrow escape here with the first purchase. Don't get yourself in trouble again!!!!!

Fact 1:diamonds are pricier than in the US for consumers everywhere in the world. Including South Africa, Antwerp etc.
No "Deals" there.
The cheap stuff is cr**py quality (hideous cut/color/clarity, possibly enhanced) you always get what you pay for.
Fact 2:there are trusted PS vendors for a reason. People on here have been buying from them for years. Hence the trust.
Fact 3: Google diamond buys on cruises. Biggest rip off ever. DON'T. JUST DON'T. PLEASE.

If you want to get high quality items in Paris or Rome no problem . But you'll be paying prices along the lines of Cartier, Van Cleef, Tiffany's. So your budget will land you in the 0.8-1 CT territory.
I'm sorry to be preachy, but this thread was nerve wrecking. Don't do this to us again. Please.
AMEN. AMEN. AMEN. TO EVERYTHING ^^^.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you got your refund @Corely , enjoy your trip and shopping :D

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't buy an engagement at any of the stores you mentioned. They don't have better diamonds than online vendors we search through. They don't, as a rule, have super-ideals. They have a few branded cuts. I'd walk in a few and get your girl to look at lots of sizes and shapes to see what she wants. Take picture, have fun doing research together.

When you guys return, come back here with a budget and we'll help you (and her if she's involved). Diamonds, setting and vendor to do both. Have a great trip.=)2

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Don't buy an engagement at any of the stores you mentioned. They don't have better diamonds than online vendors we search through. They don't, as a rule, have super-ideals. They have a few branded cuts. I'd walk in a few and get your girl to look at lots of sizes and shapes to see what she wants. Take picture, have fun doing research together.

When you guys return, come back here with a budget and we'll help you (and her if she's involved). Diamonds, setting and vendor to do both. Have a great trip.=)2

If I wanted to get the best possible, this is what I would do! If you are still concerned with bang for the buck, I would suggest the US or Belgium. I think there are people here with connections in Antwerp - if you’re in France maybe you can make a trip there?

I think it’s a fun thought that you could go to the “diamond capital of the world” ... that’s a long way from a bazaar in Afghanistan!

Corely - you have so much new knowledge... including that beautiful high quality custom work can be done by recommended jewellers ... and from what I can see, the cost of custom work doesn’t seem much more than predesigned rings ... I am excited for your fiancée as I’m sure you will now be getting her something top-notch!

Best of luck to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results