shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Winston Belle replica

ahhlun

Rough_Rock
Hi,
What are the most reputable custom setting creator?
I'm looking to buy a Harry Winston Belle replica.
I have done some search on this forum and a lot of people suggests Mark from ERD, but that website no longer exists...

That also comes another question... if we find less known custom designer, and they fold... and if something happens to the ring, we might be screwed.

-Alan

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I have done some search on this forum and a lot of people suggests Mark from ERD, but that website no longer exists...

That also comes another question... if we find less known custom designer, and they fold... and if something happens to the ring, we might be screwed.

-Alan

Most people on here don't like the idea of a "replica" per say. The general consensus is that you should buy the design you like, and if you aren't wiling to pay the cost for a designer brand (like HW), then have someone make an "inspired by" design that isn't a replica. Many designers won't be willing to replicate an existing design, because technically it's illegal. However, everyone is willing to make something that has bits and pieces (e.g. "inspiration") from big designers like Tiffany and HW. Just find small ways to make it your own and add your own unique twist to it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do reach out to Brilliantly Engaged. Looking at the ring, I can see some changes that would retain the feeling but move away from a replica, if you want that direction. David Klass (LA, California) if a popular custom vendor. ,

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
The HW Belle was one of the pieces I was looking at before going with the 810 collection Brian Gavin halo. If you're open to the idea of an "inspired by" instead of "replica" design, I think there are some interesting elements of the Belle that made its way to the BGD 810.

I think what makes the Belle unique is the floral halo and action in the profile view on the cradle. But the limitation of the ring is that it was intended to be viewed from head on or side; not from the sides. The orthogonal angles and hard edges on the Belle seem to work against the concept of a natural flower type of feel where you'd expect more swooping lines and organic tapers.

The 810 halo on Brian Gavin's site is a bit over the top... their standard photos have an 8.10 carat center stone (hence the "810" in the name of the collection). But the general feel persisted down to the ring in my avatar pic (Bling thread here)

One thing that I liked in the BGD design is the girdle of the round-brilliant is elevated a bit from the halo itself. This allows the halo to shrink a bit and removes the air gaps when looking down on the ring. I know some wearers greatly dislike a girdle that is higher than the halo, but my fiance actually wanted this elevation, so it all worked out.

One thing to consider... the 810 with the floral halo was intended for carats > 1.5 while the Belle engagement ring is intended for 0.5 to 1.0 ct.

810 (base design)
810 bgd.jpg

HW Belle (I believe this is a 1.0 ct)
belle.jpg

The ring in my avatar pic
810_FrontAngle_1024.jpg

Last edited:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

-Alan

I’m not being snarky - but what do you think is going to happen to the ring? A well made ring will last for a long time. Even when worn daily. Even ones made by Stuller and other mainstream manufacturers. Get the prongs checked by a reputable jeweler once or twice a year - and certainly anytime you are having someone clean it.
PS recommended and these are just a few whose names come to mind right now:

Victor Canera
David Klass
CVB
High performance diamonds
Love Affair Diamonds
Jewels by Grace
Singlestone
Whiteflash
Brian Gavin
August Vintage
Brilliantly engaged
Leon Mege (not sure if he is PS recommended anymore- he does gorgeous work but some say he is hard to work with)

Go look at the colored stone forum and there is a listing there of recommended benches. There are lots of custom designers who make beautiful rings. Local benches in your city or town might also make beautiful rings. Look on Instagram and Pinterest too. Hope this helps.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh also Steve Kirsch, Mark Morrell (sp?).

ahhlun

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the response, I must say I like the Leon Mege most for now..

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that you are very good hands with any of the jewelers on the list above. Actually I would add Erika Winters as well. You can't really worry about vendors folding. These vendors are not without a loyal following, and you may have to get in line if you want your piece done in a short time frame. And I would not assume that getting a "replica" means saving money. You can spend a pretty penny on a hand forged piece, meaning absolutely no casting. However I personally think that you will get an even more beautiful and perfect ring than one that Harry Winston produces. I wander in there all the time and scrutinize their settings. I always find something that can be done more to my liking. And because you are making a custom setting, you can make almost any tweaks you want, provided the jeweler does not think it compromises the integrity of your piece.

The bigger issue is which jeweler "fits" you, in terms of working together on a custom project. If you love the Leon, then by all means reach out to him. If you find that your personality and management style fits his, then you're good to go. If not, try another jeweler. Does the jeweler tolerate a lot of questions or is he/she responsive or give updates? Is the jeweler willing to make tweaks? However, if you've never had a custom ring done, you should be ready to specify what you want, or you will have to find a jeweler who will work with you on the design. As an inspiration piece, are you ok with every aspect of the Belle? Is it set too high? Too low? What about the width of the shank? Diamonds or no diamonds? Curvy or less curvy halo? What kind of melee, Full or single cut? What is the color of your center stone? Do you want melee that is of similar color to the center or different? You need to consider all these things and more.
Let us know how it goes.

Donnass117

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I highly recommend Maytal Hannah, she's been making rings here for a while and I've personally had 2 custom rings designed by her, all hand forged and priced well for hand forged.
www.maytalhannah.com

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a guy's POV, the LM and BE looks like it may suffer from a wearability issue.

See the red spots below on the marked up version? These points could be uncomfortable. Also on the LM ring, the inside of the band having those little "whooop-tee-doo's" would drive me bonkers.

Would love to hear some ladies input on this. @rockysalamander @SimoneDi

If possible, seems like it would be worthwhile to get a mockup or setting without a stone to see how it felt in person before committing to it.

r7505-10_wy.jpg

Inkedr7505-10_wy_LI.jpg

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure why those corners would be an issue... is the ouch to the ring wearer or the ouch is to the unfortunate person who gets hit by the ring? :D

IMO, the pointy bits on the halo of the Brian Gavin ring don't snag or cause any specific problems when holding hands or catching on clothing. But the prongs have left an accidental mark on her iPhone screen.

I also think the Belle's matching stud earrings look way better than the engagement ring... but they do look amazing as a set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results