shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics in natural light of the ring

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you say you saw it weighed and it said 3.01, then I suspect it is cubic zirconia. CZ is denser and heavier than diamonds, and so it will weigh more.

It would also account for the measurement issues and that comparison diamonds show your stone is actually around 2 carats, if it were to be a diamond.

Man, I hope you can get your money back TODAY.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
A note on CZ - it will get scratched but looks great at first - maybe OP can do a scratch test?

Corely

Rough_Rock
I just hope they will keep the word and let you return the ring after a prolonged period of time! Most of the places will not take any retune back after 30 days . It will be very sad if you waste 10.000$!

This place has too.. its sponsored by the base to be allowed to sell here. They don't refund bad items they get kicked off the installation and this place is their livelihood. Vendor has to take returns and assured me I can return it if she doesn't like it or wants it altered or does not come back as it is advertised.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This place has too.. its sponsored by the base to be allowed to sell here. They don't refund bad items they get kicked off the installation and this place is their livelihood. Vendor has to take returns and assured me I can return it if she doesn't like it or wants it altered or does not come back as it is advertised.

Do the measurement inconsistencies bother you?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness! I hate to hurt your feelings, but please let the knowledgeable folks here help you find a beautiful stone and the ring of her dreams. I strongly suggest you should start over. Now.
No one here has an agenda. Just hobbyists that love to help!

You-who...Calling @sledge!

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
There is zero chance of it “coming back as advertised” so why wait. The experts here are giving you excellent advice. Trust me when I tell you I wish I had listened when they tried to help me.

Swallow hard and take their advice. You will have dodged a bullet.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes, the more that you disagree with a person, the more time and effort they invest in the defence, and therefore become more entrenched in the original position.
I’m sure the OP has learned a lot, but it’s pretty clear that his mind is made up. If the weight and measurements are not enough to return it now, nothing is.
That jeweler might be planning a move in January - he might be dependent on selling to the base, but that is zero assurance he’ll even be there next week.
Oh well. Can lead the horse to water and all that.

Still wishing the OP all the best! The whole proposal and vacation sound wonderful, and efforts to get the fiancee what she likes is admirable.

Corely

Rough_Rock
Well.. anyone know any reputable places in Dubai to pick up a ring??

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The formula for weight for a princess stone is L x W x D x .0084

So that means your center stone is about 1.95 carats. A thick girdle might modify it a bit. But it’s about 1.95 carats of center stone.

Again, the main issue here is that you don’t have what you were told you bought.

I am peeved that he ripped off someone in the service. Maybe the price you paid is ok generally speaking, but since you don’t even know what you have, how can you know if it is worth it or not?? We just don’t know.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Well.. anyone know any reputable places in Dubai to pick up a ring??
Or Paris? There are many options in the City of Lights. In terms of not getting ripped off and getting value for money, you could walk into Cartier or any other authentic jeweller and find something. Will you pay a lot for the name? Yes. But you will certainly get what the receipt says you paid for. And the experience is itself worth a fortune in romantic memories. Most women could never dream of something that romantic.

Replace “Cartier” with VCA, Tiffany, JAR, Boucheron, and so forth. Same idea.

Corely

Rough_Rock
Or Paris? There are many options in the City of Lights. In terms of not getting ripped off and getting value for money, you could walk into Cartier or any other authentic jeweller and find something. Will you pay a lot for the name? Yes. But you will certainly get what the receipt says you paid for. And the experience is itself worth a fortune in romantic memories. Most women could never dream of something that romantic.

Replace “Cartier” with VCA, Tiffany, JAR, Boucheron, and so forth. Same idea.

True, we have done tiffanies a number of times.. never for diamonds though. Got her an amazing silver scorpion necklace for her birthday a few years ago. She's a Scorpio and digs it. Dubai is tax free and good for gold. However I get nauseated at the idea of having to haggle in the Gold Souk again. Most likely I will keep this ring at least just for the presentation of the proposal story and then let her decide if she wants to keep it, have a different ring made or just refund the thing and buy a different one. I will get effort points for trying to make it look like the dream ring from Honduras. It is getting appraised/ sent to a lab either way unless she straight up doesn't like it at all and just wants to refund it. If that's the case I see a Caribbean trip again in our future to look at duty free rings maybe. I really wanted the stone and ring to be made out here for part of the story and sacrifice she has made to let me come out here. Spent three years of my life in combat zones between here and Iraq. I'm not in the military anymore I'm over here as a DOD contractor now.. was in for 14 years but I don't want yall to think I am still a service member still. Just work along side with them now. If she likes it and wants to keep it, I'm still doing the lab appraisal and then telling the vendor to refund me part of the money down to what it is actually worth or Ill just give it back and refund the whole thing. I'm in a time crunch here so gonna have to go with this and let her decide. Ill be straight up about it with her for sure she pretty cool about things and wouldn't want me to spend more than something is worth for her.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Three years in combat zones counts as service to our country by any measure I can think of.
@Corely, Christmas is a little over two weeks away. Please return the ring. We can help you think of an alternative plan. You'll be in Paris! With 10 grand, you can walk into Tiffany or Cartier and buy your wedding bands. A diamond band for her. Plain band for you. Go to the restaurant, as planned, to celebrate your engagement and future wedding. What a lovely souvenir those rings would be. Then, take your time to find an engagement ring more in line with the quality of the ring she saw in Honduras. IDJ, a New York vendor that is well respected here, has helped many posters here on strict timelines. If you return the ring, you can start over and perhaps have a new and better engagement ring before you leave for RR.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you give this more thought.

You’re going to involve her in the cost and the attempt to save money. You’ll give her the burden of having to decide - she will both want to keep it and not hurt your feelings and wish it was like the ring in Honduras. You’ll share the stress of not knowing whether that’s a natural diamond or not. And then she’ll share the stres over a possible rip-off and whether or not you can get a refund. And then, if you do get the refund, you’re looking for another $10000 ring when she likes the one for $250000. If she decides to keep it, the stone is still set too high.

*shrug*

You don’t get a do over. Your fiancée will not run away. It’s been six years. For her sake, I hope you get a refund and wait until you get a beautiful ring that you know is not fake.

If I were her, I would not even want to hear about this ring until after you get engaged with a keeper ring. Then it will make a great story.

Maybe Paris in riot mode is a sign, lol.

I have often told my kids (and myself): never want something too badly. I think that you’ve put so much time, effort, emotion, and anticipation into this that you’re unable to let it go.

I just hope you have no regrets, that’s all - and that all your engagement dreams come true!

Everyone here is giving you the same advice they would give a loved one.

Sorry for the overkill.

:wall:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Cartier, VCA, Boucheron, Chaumet, Buccellatti, Hermés, Chanel haute joallerie, Graff, H. Stern, Bvlgari, Chopard, or Harry Winston....

Or the base jeweller in Afghanistan.

I know which I’d pick.

Sorry I seem to be coming across as rude. I don’t mean to be. Good luck. And congrats on your engagement!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
True, we have done tiffanies a number of times.. never for diamonds though. Got her an amazing silver scorpion necklace for her birthday a few years ago. She's a Scorpio and digs it. Dubai is tax free and good for gold. However I get nauseated at the idea of having to haggle in the Gold Souk again. Most likely I will keep this ring at least just for the presentation of the proposal story and then let her decide if she wants to keep it, have a different ring made or just refund the thing and buy a different one. I will get effort points for trying to make it look like the dream ring from Honduras. It is getting appraised/ sent to a lab either way unless she straight up doesn't like it at all and just wants to refund it. If that's the case I see a Caribbean trip again in our future to look at duty free rings maybe. I really wanted the stone and ring to be made out here for part of the story and sacrifice she has made to let me come out here. Spent three years of my life in combat zones between here and Iraq. I'm not in the military anymore I'm over here as a DOD contractor now.. was in for 14 years but I don't want yall to think I am still a service member still. Just work along side with them now. If she likes it and wants to keep it, I'm still doing the lab appraisal and then telling the vendor to refund me part of the money down to what it is actually worth or Ill just give it back and refund the whole thing. I'm in a time crunch here so gonna have to go with this and let her decide. Ill be straight up about it with her for sure she pretty cool about things and wouldn't want me to spend more than something is worth for her.

From another military spouse to another, thank you for serving our country!

Secondly, this whole thread is making me crazy along side many others. Please take the advice of many and save yourself from a huge headache! Wait to have the perfect ring to present, or propose with a beautiful memorable stacking band she can pair with an engagement later sourced from a reputable place! She could even wear the band stacked with other milestone bands! (I have many that have been gifted for births, special dates, etc.) The sentiment to propose is a beautiful one, please don’t rush the ring just to have something to give, with questionable quality. You do not even need a ring for the “presentation of the proposal story” as worded. I guarantee she will be thrilled to be marrying such a thoughtful soul, ring in hand or not.

I am sentimental. If I had known my DH gave me something that he wasn’t confident in with the option to give back/return the original ring would really bum me out. I hate for you to go through all the planning for the perfect proposal to have it flop with a ring she returns if you know what I mean?

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
*returns as in exchanges.

Wanted to be clear on that. lol! :saint:

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium

-Corely, we're a military family as well so i know the enticement of buying from a vendor like this and the "have to accept returns" idea, but frankly, those vendors are always looking to make an easy buck and are never actually giving you a good deal. There are also a lot of ways they can get out of that return policy, or if not and you complain, theres no actual black list or anything, the worst that will happen is that one company name cant sell on base, but they can go through the same process and start selling on base under that name.
You truly dont have the protections you think you do here. PS is all normal consumers like you and me who happen to love diamonds. They're like the model airplaners of the diamond world, and they dont want to see you get taken advantage of.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/2.01-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5432772

I thought this princess cut was really pretty, have the actual price scopers check it though, in far from a diamond expert.

This setting is very close to the one that your fi loves, and very elegant.
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...shape-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-49477

omg - so much yes!!!!!

To OP - see the difference???? More expensive and worth every penny - and no where near $250000 like the one in Honduras!

Gorgeous. And real.

And no stress for your fiancée.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
omg - so much yes!!!!!

To OP - see the difference???? More expensive and worth every penny - and no where near $250000 like the one in Honduras!

Gorgeous. And real.

And no stress for your fiancée.

True, and you can get that same diamond on Yadav for $700 cheaper! Would maybe be $11k all in for the ring and diamond.
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/princess-diamond-2.01-carat-j-vs2-yd4059420

@Corely, please listen to these fine posters. They're really trying to help you. As @KiloSierra said, I do not trust these military re-sellers as far as I could throw them. I grew up in military family and in a military town (Virginia Beach) and had plenty of interactions with them. They take advantage of naïve young sailors with their promises of "Guaranteed returns" and then when you go to return it, they'll find some loophole in the fine print (That you signed) which gets them out of the return, and you literally don't have a leg to stand on. They fall into the same category as those "trusted used car dealers" who advertise "In the military? Guaranteed approved credit with 0 down and 0% interest!!!*" who sell new sailors overpriced lemons with a loan of 1 year at 0% interest and then 5 years at 18.99% interest.

Take the advice of others above. You'll be in Paris! FREAKIN! PARIS! The city of fine jewelry AND romance. Honestly, what better way to celebrate an engagement than with a ring from the city of love? I'm sure there's a few trusted local jewelers in Paris without the markups of the designer brands (you would need to look them up) but even if you go to a designer brand like VCA or Cartier, then sure, you'll pay a mark-up, but at least what you'll be getting will be beautiful and real. Or, I really like the suggestion of @Lula: Buy the wedding bands at a designer store so you'll have a memory from Paris and then wait until you can order a decent ring from a U.S.-based trusted online retailer. You'll save a boatload of money and have a fine ring to show for it.

Please, please listen. It's not like we're a bunch of mean, nasty strangers on the internet who just like trashing peoples rings. When people come on here with nice rings, we heap praise on them. Just look through other threads. The posters here are really trying to help you not be hustled out of $10k, because we appreciate your service and don't want your engagement to start on a sour note.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-Corely, we're a military family as well so i know the enticement of buying from a vendor like this and the "have to accept returns" idea, but frankly, those vendors are always looking to make an easy buck and are never actually giving you a good deal. There are also a lot of ways they can get out of that return policy, or if not and you complain, theres no actual black list or anything, the worst that will happen is that one company name cant sell on base, but they can go through the same process and start selling on base under that name.
You truly dont have the protections you think you do here. PS is all normal consumers like you and me who happen to love diamonds. They're like the model airplaners of the diamond world, and they dont want to see you get taken advantage of.

I'm afraid that OPs money is long gone, and this vendor won't give him a refund. It'll be something about fine print, or how "refund" actually means "exchange". This thread is so sad.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid that OPs money is long gone, and this vendor won't give him a refund. It'll be something about fine print, or how "refund" actually means "exchange". This thread is so sad.

Yes, I'm afraid of the same thing. But I don't think all is lost yet. If he returns it right away unworn, then he would at least have an argument to make in his favor if they try to offer an "exchange" or "upgrade policy" instead. Might actually be able to squeeze his money back out of them if it's within 30 days. Could at least go to the base and file a claim.

But if he waits months until after the proposal and after she already tries it on for a bit? Not a chance. Not a chance in hell. They'll say "Oh, we said you could return it at ANY time? Well, as you can see here in this microscopically-fine print in our terms of sale, we only offer a 30 day return policy in unworn condition. Sorry for the confusion." And then he'll be SOL.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I'm afraid of the same thing. But I don't think all is lost yet. If he returns it right away unworn, then he would at least have an argument to make in his favor if they try to offer an "exchange" or "upgrade policy" instead. Might actually be able to squeeze his money back out of them if it's within 30 days. Could at least go to the base and file a claim.

But if he waits months until after the proposal and after she already tries it on for a bit? Not a chance. Not a chance in hell. They'll say "Oh, we said you could return it at ANY time? Well, as you can see here in this microscopically-fine print in our terms of sale, we only offer a 30 day return policy in unworn condition. Sorry for the confusion." And then he'll be SOL.

Another yup. And what chance if the stone has been removed for lab certification and reset ... perfect excuse not to take it back - they can even accuse of switching the stone

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure there's a few trusted local jewelers in Paris without the markups

Everyone has given excellent advice, please consider it, OP!

I just want to chime in on @TreeScientist s idea : unfortunately there aren't any options here in Paris. 10 k US will buy you about a carat here. It's all d/e/f vvs in the nice shops. Chains or small shops won't even have anything bigger than 1carat to show you. (ETA: and FORGET any discussions about cut... Either it's a big name or hit & miss)

Cartier and Van Cleef are a smidge cheaper though - especially if you can get the 20% tax back. So I'd third @Lula s suggestion for a wb. A wb from Place Vendôme is REALLY special...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please consider one more thing. I know you said she loved it in Honduras several years back. Are you certain her taste has not developed since then? I remember liking certain rings a few years ago that I would not be interested in now. What I’d she were exposed to the settings and stones that are more common now? Would she still want that ring from Honduras? What if what she really liked from the Honduras ring was the icy whiteness of a $250k stone? If that is the case, your ring right now does not even have the most attractive feature if the original ring. I am not trying to depress you. I’m just saying that women’s opinions can change over time and with exposure to more options and information. I can tell you have the very best intentions but just be logical, and realistic, and don’t be afraid to involve her in the process of choosing a ring that is supposed to be forever.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please, please read the reviews of the places in the Caribbean that offer ‘amazing’ duty free diamond rings!

I went in with a friend, and honestly the high pressure selling techniques, as well as their willingness to hack about rings in order to secure a sale was really off putting.

It’s lovely that you want to get your lady the ring of her dreams, but you also want her to treasure it for the rest of her life.

There’s so much knowledge available here, to enable you not only to get a lovely ring, but also at a great price.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know your girl. I think you need to do what feels right to you. One other idea...would a side-trip be possible? If you are open to looking at a round stone, what if you travel to a Crafted by Infinity retailer before France (you have to contact them first and have them bring in stones). You and your girl go there before the engagement and look at CBI stones. Gauge her reaction. If she swoons, you get her a CBI in a basic setting (buy sturdy). We can help you find a custom maker to work with. You quietly return the stone you bought. Setting will be a wash, but you can use it to set a sapphire or other colored stone for a future gift. See below UK list.

If she is wishy-washy on the shape, keep with your path. After the engagement buzz is over, like a day later, tell her that you have concerns about this diamond and ran out of time to deal with them. You would like to swap it out for her. You would love to have her involved, if she'd like, in picking the stone. That kind of team approach seems to match your relationship. You can pursue many vendors for the stone, but a short-cut would be getting a ACA Princess from Whiteflash (but you take a face-up size hit) -- but get high performance and easy upgrades in the future.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4060792.htm

HPD Dealers in the UK
upload_2018-12-11_6-6-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-11_6-4-18.png
    upload_2018-12-11_6-4-18.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 12
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results