shape
carat
color
clarity

Facet pattern

Jnrudrum

Rough_Rock
Hello,
New poster, just purchased a diamond and discovered afterwards about ASET imagery and all that jazz. I have a 80 point cushion modified brilliant and I was hoping that any well trained eyes on this forum could tell me what the faceting pattern *may* be based, off the image.

Thanks guys!
PB140312.JPG

Last edited:

Jnrudrum

Rough_Rock
Sorry forgot to mention, I am interested only in the pavillion facet pattern.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
New poster, just purchased a diamond and discovered afterwards about ASET imagery and all that jazz. I have a 80 point cushion modified brilliant and I was hoping that any well trained eyes on this forum could tell me what the faceting pattern *may* be based, off the image.

Thanks guys!

P.S if the image is not of a good enough resolution email me at **not allowed for safety** and I can send you the uncompressed version. PB140312.JPG

Hi, welcome. For security reasons are you still able to edit your post to remove your email address? On PS we cannot share such personal information. See what people say without the bigger picture and if essential we can talk you through other ways of contacting you (most people on here seem to do it via loupetroop).

I cannot comment about pavilions and cushions (I know nothing) but please share stats about the ring you have shown!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jnrudrum

Rough_Rock
Sorry about that! I should have read the forum rules.
The certificate I have attached to show the stats, but I believe GIA only give the facet patterns if it the diamond is greater than 1ct.

I wish I discovered this forum before I purchased the stone. It seems that even with my research before-hand, it wasnt enough!
My fiancèe loves the ring but I am considering perhaps purchasing a different diamond as I have no ASET image for this one and I dont think I really like the crushed ice look.. I am also paranoid now about the diamonds light performance.

Attachments

• 1308283144.pdf
    611.4 KB · Views: 42

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame - looks like your post has already been reported because you captured his email in a quote.

@Jnrudrum - post a link to your GIA report. It should have some info on the pavilion facets. People prefer not to download. Or you can post your GIA report number.

Edit...I see the number is your file name. The stone is less than a carat and doesnt have the clarity plot on
it.

Do you like the stone? Is it reflecting light well or does it look dead or darker in the middle?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Lykame - looks like your post has already been reported because you captured his email in a quote.

@Jnrudrum - post a link to your GIA report. It should have some info on the pavilion facets. People prefer not to download. Or you can post your GIA report number.

Edit...I see the number is your file name. The stone is less than a carat and doesnt have the clarity plot on
it.

Do you like the stone? Is it reflecting light well or does it look dead or darker in the middle?

Well that was stupid of me. :cry2: Sorry @Jnrudrum, that wasn't my intention at all. Ugh. Sorry.

Jnrudrum

Rough_Rock
The stone looks like it is reflecting. At times it looks like a bottomless pool.
I have attached an image of the diamond that I was sent before I bought it. What (if any), information can be gathered from it regarding its performance?
Thanks
Diamond.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The facet patterning does not have a set of well-defined facets to my eyes - it appears to be more 'crushed ice' so will have smaller 'pinfire' sparkle than larger facets would have.

Neither is right or wrong in terms of cushion cuts - it is personal taste - although here on PS many forum members prefer stronger light return and more defined facet patterns.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The facet patterning does not have a set of well-defined facets to my eyes - it appears to be more 'crushed ice' so will have smaller 'pinfire' sparkle than larger facets would have.

Neither is right or wrong in terms of cushion cuts - it is personal taste - although here on PS many forum members prefer stronger light return and more defined facet patterns.

This. And also I'm afraid this isn't a great example of a "crushed ice" stone. Diamonds By Lauren has some amazing ones where it's tons of pinfire light. But this one looks "mushy" to me and I'm afraid that IRL it won't perform as well.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to say - you can purchase an ASETscope for your own use, which will help you evaluate this stone and also any others that you look at :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we never would have recommended that stone.

Do you like the stone? Are you still within the return period?

For example...these are the types of stones we would have recommended. They may not be your taste though. These have good light return but are not
crushed ice. You may be looking for crushed ice.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.80-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3704548
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.80-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4971218
I'm not good at picking crushed ice cushions but the one below might be nice. You might try contacting Diamonds by Lauren if you want a crushed ice
cushion. I'm sure he can help you pick out a nice one.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.80-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-5464434

ELSE...if you like your cushion, never mind:kiss2: (that's me zipping my lips)!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very dark centre surrounded by brightness. For me, it’s not the best looking stone you can find at all.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand not loving the crushed ice look. Many people who come to PS and have a chance to see cushions with visible facet patterns discover that they don’t like crushed ice. Have you looked through the cushion thread? Can someone link something AVCs or antique cushions, or some 4 main moderns? It’s hard for me to search for ay right now.

Here is a link to a recently cut antique cushion so you can see the specific faceting.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-avc-re-set-by-david-klass.245066/

Last edited:

Jnrudrum

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies.
Ive attached some photos of the ring under office lighting. Does it look washed out still in your opinions?
I know it is too late to be worrying about this as I have purchased and set the diamond.. kicking myself I didnt conduct a more thorough investigation before hand.. I may ask the jeweller if they can purchase the diamond off of me and find me a different one..
Thanks. Resized_20181122_140435.jpeg Resized_20181122_140635.jpeg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your replies.
Ive attached some photos of the ring under office lighting. Does it look washed out still in your opinions?
I know it is too late to be worrying about this as I have purchased and set the diamond.. kicking myself I didnt conduct a more thorough investigation before hand.. I may ask the jeweller if they can purchase the diamond off of me and find me a different one..

Under office lighting it doesn’t look that washed out, but there is a lot of crushed ice under the table. It actually looks quite bright to me eyes in both photos.

My concern about asking the jeweller to buy it back off you is that your “trade in” value will be significantly less than what you actually did pay for it. Meaning you will be up for some cash to get something better (unless you are within the returns period and your jeweller does allow for these types of situations to occur).

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your replies.

Ok on this occasion it's okay for me to hit reply when responding to you. :oops: I always hit reply, it's such habit. Relieved to see a moderator rescued me. Sorry again. :geek2:

Is this your ring? Ignoring all opinions here for a moment, what do you actually think if it? You haven't said. What compelled you to get that particular stone in the first place? Is there something that bothers you about it? Ultimately the best judge of diamonds is our eyes and our heart - there are many people who have imperfect diamonds and LOVE them.

Having said that, I recently sold a ring that I think most people would have adored - I always got tonnes of compliments on it. Then I did some reading on here and discovered I could have done better on the things that matter to me about diamonds (cut). Mind clean is just as important hey.

For me personally I'm not a fan of the mushy crushed ice look (personally preference) or what looks to be a large girdle reflection in the centre (I think that's what it is, and the girdle is quite chunky/hiding weight). It looks better in your office pictures compared to the vendor pictures. What's it like in sunlight and darker conditions?

Are you in a returns' period? @bmfang is right, if you don't have that protection the jeweller is likely to offer you about 40-50% back of what you paid unless you can really sweet talk them. Or perhaps they have a part exchange process, although sometimes the process of finding a new stone through certain jewellers is very difficult. If you're not in the returns' period then think really hard about going down that route as it's a pain in the butt.

If this stone makes your heart sing and looking at the other options recommended here doesn't make you feel you shouldn't have gone for your one, then congratulations. :D If you need support with exchanging etc, then helpful cushion understanding people will be here to help. :)

Best of luck with your decision.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your ring and diamond look nice!
I don't know why do you worry? Not everything is math! If you like your diamond, if you think that it's beautiful - this is what matters most!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results