shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the texture of your earrings Seaglow! And I would kill for a string of beads in that colour!!!!

You putting the pendants side by side really give it perspective. Looks huge in the pic!

But then so do 6mm gems! I always get a rude shock at the size!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the texture of your earrings Seaglow! And I would kill for a string of beads in that colour!!!!

You putting the pendants side by side really give it perspective. Looks huge in the pic!

But then so do 6mm gems! I always get a rude shock at the size!

Without the background of skin, they actually appear lighter.
1FAE789A-6EF3-4631-8AA1-3F4378EC143F.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The texture is fab and they look great! Statement but not overly huge.

You ladies manage to get very good earshots!!!!

Pink Bandit wanted this one (he likes big smooth shiny stones) but we lost it! He's upset I dilly dallied!

46688943_2180545295339550_7138548431240298496_n.jpg

The other one looked nice but in sunlight was too grey for PB.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I did a naughty thing that was all Pink Bandit's fault. After we lost the first ring we saw this one and we bought it.

I know you ladies won't approve because it's patchy but I didn't want to spend more than $1000 and I really love the colour and how thick the stone is. It's the best I can do for my budget imo. I was so worried it would get snapped up while I waited for an outdoor video. Twas quite harrowing :lol:

I got an outdoor video and I'm very happy with the shade even if it's less vibrant than the pics.

46520418_2180870378640375_2797666530391752704_n.jpg

46517554_2180870371973709_2041877699340795904_n.jpg

Definately on a ban until 1st April now!!!!!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely! I think it will be a lovely piece. And a good price too!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! I think it will be a lovely piece. And a good price too!

Thanks! Seems like the lavenders are harder to gauge than the greens but I am hopeful!

Here is the video of it outdoors! I know it's patchy (she said so herself in her description) but I can see some translucency.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
:love::love::love::love::love:

Plenty diamonds in the setting too. So very beautiful.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love::love::love:

Plenty diamonds in the setting too. So very beautiful.

I bought a rose gold diamond bangle from Whiteflash this year and I think it will go beautifully with this ring!

And maybe my white bows for the ears! hehe gotta coordinate!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Please, can someone take a look at this bangle. Hopefully @Burmesedaze or @Bluegemz as they can see if treated or not from a picture alone.

Seller says this one is not treated. There is a certificate from PNJ Lab of Vietnam. The certificate states natural jadeite natural jade.

PNJ Lab.jpg

This is the bangle

3.11 bangle 1.jpg
3.11 bangle 3.jpg
3.11 bangle 2.jpg

I asked GIA about the 3.11 Specific gravity. This is what they have to say:

Thank you for sending a copy of the report.

It’s possible “3.11” is a typo. The RI is correct at 1.66. If you really like this bangle, you should talk with the seller and bring this to her attention. Ask her to contact the lab about the information on the report or, if you feel comfortable to do so, contact the lab yourself.

This lab shows the have been approved, or follow guidelines, by the following groups:

ISO (https://www.iso.org/home.html) is a well-known organization. Their requirements for companies who want to belong are fairly rigorous. On the lab report, they have ISO 9001:2015. This is in regards to Quality Management Systems: https://www.iso.org/standard/62085.html

Bureau of Accreditation: http://www.boa.gov.vn/en/about-us-0 and http://www.boa.gov.vn/en/pnj-laboratory-company-limited-0. I don’t know the requirements of being accredited by this group.

Also, if you really like this bangle, you could tell the seller you want a GIA report on the bangle before you commit to purchasing it. Depending on what the GIA lab report states, then you could make your decision.

On a GIA Identification Report for jade, if the jadeite is natural color, no indications of impregnation, it will not state “A Jade” unless the client requests it.

Asking price is USD1 400. Seller says PNJ Lab will not release certificate if it is not grade A jadeite.

I think this is interesting, this piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
GIA also confirmed that at 3.11, it cannot be jadeite. Their email to me on an earlier states so.

It is not jadeite at 3.11.

A corrupt lab? A fake jade bangle and a dishonest seller, or a typo? :think:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is that it’s a typo...probably suppose to be 3.01 or some other number. I’m not sure about what other material it could be which would have a specific gravity higher than jadeite. Usually stimulants are lower SG which I have seen, such as marble and granite.

It’s hard to see via pics but color pattern looks like natural to me. Beautiful greens with opaque base, very pretty, stone like presence.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The inside is round and not flat, right? That's the older style for bangles. Not sure if that's how they do bangles now in Vietnam or it's old stock.

Colour pattern looks natural to me too. Older mine, mountain jadeite is my guess.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Bluegemz and Burmesedaze.

Inside is round. I like this style, this type of jadeite. Green and splotchy like that.

I have never heard of mountain jadeite. Shows you how little I know. I mean jadeite comes from mountains and quarries. I had not thought there would be a specific type. I thought jadeite meant jadeite. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Blugemz and Burmesedaze.

Inside is round. I like this style, this type of jadeite. Green and splotchy like that.

I have never heard of mountain jadeite. Shows you how little I know. I mean jadeite comes from mountains and quarries. I had not thought there would be a specific type. I thought jadeite meant jadeite. Very interesting.
I like it too..such a different look and feel than the translucent bangles. Very solid and ‘grounding’ with the beautiful, strong colors and transitions as the main focus of the bangle. I personally really love some of the more stone like bangles.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
C9F93444-26F4-4487-946E-49CF441B08CE.jpeg @ChaiK If it checks out I think it’s a lovely piece. Wish I can buy everything there are too many beautiful bangles out there.

Jasmine has this on her FB page. I love this one for the colour and carving.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C9F93444-26F4-4487-946E-49CF441B08CE.jpeg @ChaiK If it checks out I think it’s a lovely piece. Wish I can buy everything there are too many beautiful bangles out there.

I like the color and the carving on these but in Myanmar, they call this “young” or “soft” jade. I was told they are not as durable as “old” jade. The terms do not refer to the age of the stone but more that jadeite is a rock and composed of several minerals and these type has a higher composition of softer minerals.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow is larger grain = younger jade = less tough?

When I look jade, it feels like the larger grains would have more joins and hence be flakier than the super fine grained jade which I presume is tougher (less breakage points).

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow is larger grain = younger jade = less tough?

When I look jade, it feels like the larger grains would have more joins and hence be flakier than the super fine grained jade which I presume is tougher (less breakage points).

The veins, and cracks also exists in “old” jade and eliminated usually in carving and cutting but since jade is a rock, in Myanmar, they said there is a higher jadeite percentage composition. Sometimes I hear some stones are high in feldspar or so (which is soft). @Burmesedaze would know more about this. :)

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

I love this piece. She once had a piece that was like this, but green and white. I like splotches like that.

@Seaglow is right. This is young jade. Supposed to be brittle. Also, the carving, they carve pieces like that because there are a lot of veins and fractures and inclusions (maybe?) and so the carving hides these flaws. Hence they are more delicate. You should tell Jasmine this, when bargaining with her. Tell her carvings are not that highly regarded. And then go for a killer price. And keep nagging her.

I am all for colour, so I would lean towards this.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After watching those youtube vids @Seaglow posted I look at the carved pendants in a whole new light.

I used to always think when I saw a very lovely green and translucent pendant with a wacky pic carved on it "Why didn't you just make a cab????"

Now I think maybe they had to hide something and couldn't cab that part!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any of you ladies dabbled in jade bracelets (not the bangles)?

Please post pics if you have! I know Icy Jade bought a really pretty one but I think that's the first I've seen.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this piece. She once had a piece that was like this, but green and white. I like splotches like that.

@Seaglow is right. This is young jade. Supposed to be brittle. Also, the carving, they carve pieces like that because there are a lot of veins and fractures and inclusions (maybe?) and so the carving hides these flaws. Hence they are more delicate. You should tell Jasmine this, when bargaining with her. Tell her carvings are not that highly regarded. And then go for a killer price. And keep nagging her.

I am all for colour, so I would lean towards this.

The pieces are beautiful and I do like the color and intricate carving. But I’m afraid to have a young jade bangle lest I shatter it in pieces!

After watching those youtube vids @Seaglow posted I look at the carved pendants in a whole new light.

I used to always think when I saw a very lovely green and translucent pendant with a wacky pic carved on it "Why didn't you just make a cab????"

Now I think maybe they had to hide something and couldn't cab that part!

Actually, it Ian difficult to know the design until the stone isn’t assessed on crack and veins. If I buy a small boulder and ask a carver to make me a dragon pendant, the request can be refused due to crack positions. So on a piecd of boulder, the carver usually formulates the design after analyzing the cracks to high or eliminate it. So when I buy, I always ask if there are cracks. A lovely lavender bangle that is nicely colored could have a low price because there is a running or surface reaching crack in it. One drop and it can break.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erm, @Lovinggems , I asked her, out of curiosity, the price of this piece.

She said USD10 880 :confused2::rolleyes::eek2:

Haha when there is no price I always assume it's astronomical! :$$):

I wonder how fast these expensive pieces sell. I find at her lower price range it is a bit of a jostle to get what you want. I wonder if people snap up the expensive stuff too.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Can you see, in different light, and how one bangle can look different in different lighting? That is why it is best to ask for lots of pictures.

Bangle 5 in sun.jpg Bangle 6 out of sun.jpg Bangle 7 in sun.jpg

btw, these are not my manicured hands. I have black dirty nails (forever using indigo on my hair).

But I like this bangle a lot too. I am like that. I like this type. Maybe because my husband started it by buying me a pair like that a long time ago.

Last edited:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The veins, and cracks also exists in “old” jade and eliminated usually in carving and cutting but since jade is a rock, in Myanmar, they said there is a higher jadeite percentage composition. Sometimes I hear some stones are high in feldspar or so (which is soft). @Burmesedaze would know more about this. :)

That’s useful to know, too bad it’s potentially not durable the colour is beautiful.

Erm, @Lovinggems , I asked her, out of curiosity, the price of this piece.

She said USD10 880 :confused2::rolleyes::eek2:

:shock: my jaw dropped and had to pick it up from the ground.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Can you see, in different light, and how one bangle can look different in different lighting? That is why it is best to ask for lots of pictures.

Bangle 5 in sun.jpg Bangle 6 out of sun.jpg Bangle 7 in sun.jpg

btw, these are not my manicured hands. I have black dirty nails (forever using indigo on my hair).

But I like this bangle a lot too. I am like that. I like this type. Maybe because my husband started it by buying me a pair like that a long time ago.

I see what you mean about it looking different under various lighting conditions. I think this one is pretty in both especially the first photo.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@Lovinggems you bargain very hard with her. She does soften and I have seen her knock prices down by 2K or 3. I have not bought from her. But one time, I was after a green cab. 8K and she was willing to go down to 6 k. Or something dumb like 13K and she was willing to go down to 6 to 8 k. Can't remember. I did not want to pay more than 3 k for that one. Size and all not right. Only hit the colour and translucency box. So you bargain. And today is Black Friday. And walk away if price is not right. Because there will always be the right one that will come around.

Jadeite is like that. Two days ago, I had bought a pair of lace earrings from FB lady. Then they sent me a pair that was not the right one. And she told me the piece was gone, the one I had bought. It was an error on their part and she was so sorry about it. And it really was not her fault, because the lace carvings, they look similar. But that old piece, the one I had originally bought, it turned up yesterday. And she quickly rang the factory and got that for me. So I really think the right piece, if it is meant to be, will go to you.

Or like the bangles my husband bought for me, the first pair. Many many years ago. I had refused to marry him and he had hunted high and low for the bangles. And then they had sold. And he had to take a bus to go to the buyer and beg and buy them off him (and bargain for them too). A foreigner with very little money in my country, taking a bus to hunt down a pair of bangles. It did make me laugh at him then. But how could I say no the second time?

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I see what you mean about it looking different under various lighting conditions. I think this one is pretty in both especially the first photo.

But what you cannot see is that this bangle will have a lot of white crystals. I don't have the bangle with me. But I already know what it will be like (not because I am experienced, but because I am forever buying this type).

You can sort of see some trace, in the sunlight, of the tiny tiny very fine white crystals. It won't be sugary. It will just be a lot of fine white crystals and the texture will be fine. This is why, in the normal light, it will look like the colour has faded. And this is the fun part. Because when you look at it in normal light, and you look closely, it will look like a fog on or in the bangle, sort of like a moving fog. And in another light, it does not need to be bright light, sometimes, it can be dim light, it will glow and be very green. This type of bangle is like this.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ChaiK is this Jasmine? She won't give me any discount on my stuff! Only 5%! It is cheaper stuff though...

Your earrings, are you talking about the round lacy ones? There are two pairs! One with three tiny gems stuck in it and one without! It's very confusing but the top is different I think! I had to look hard to spot the three gems they stuck in the other one.

Loved your story about your husband! He sounds so cute!!!!! Did you say yes right after?

Pink Bandit used all his scholarship money to buy me a terribly cut diamond that the folks on PS would flip out if they saw it. I promised to marry him but secretly I thought we were very young and maybe I wouldn't end up with him (I was 19, I was very a sketchy person when I was 19!!!).

I did marry him in the end because he was cute, easy going, kind and did not irritate me like the boys I met at work and uni.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results