shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to Learn to Sew :)

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been sewing since I was a kid, my machine is a 1980s Kenmore. I recently brought it in for a tuneup and the guy said the old machines are better than anything out there now. I think taking a class is a great idea, if they have machines there I would try them first, that might help you figure out the language when you’re looking to buy, then I would buy in the used market. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm very excited to start with my course =)2 they don't have machines there and I haven't been able to find a good used machine for a fair price around here unfortunately so I'm probably going to buy a new machine, either Janome or Brother. I'll post an update in the next few days.

What do you make with your Kenmore?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
On buying NEW machines: Unfortunately, new singers just aren't that great. The company was sold years ago and the quality is :razz: If you have your heart set on a new machine I'd go Janome or Bernina, but those are PRICEY!

Thank you, you're not the only one to advise against a Singer so I've started looking at Janome and Brother. What do you think of the Janome DC2150 or Brother NS25?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
But an inexpensive new one will also meet your needs - you can always upgrade later if you get the sewing bug.

Unfortunately there isn't much choice in used machines around here, so a new machine will have to do. What do you think of the Janome DC2150 or Brother NS25?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I can shop well, and pick out some gorgeous clothes, so all is not lost!

I love shopping too but thought it would be amazing if I can make my own clothes instead of buying them =)2 have you given sewing a try again?

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
I can’t comment on new machines since I don’t have one, but the thing to do is shop dealers with demo machines and sit down and try them. Your sewing plans dictate the features you should look for. The needle down feature is really helpful; it means that the machine stops with the needle down in the fabric. A machine that makes a pretty buttonhole is nice too. You don’t need and will never use 50 decorative stitches. People who like to make quilts have different needs. Also the option of a walking foot is also important for difficult fabrics and matching plaids. Ask what special feet the machine comes with and ask them to demo them. A foot for installing invisible zips is also high on the list.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Before I got into vintage machines I bought a Janome DC 1050. I really liked it. It is computerized, but more entry level. It was the floor model and I paid $500 (plus tax), um, 3 years ago, I think. I actually just sold it because, well, I love my vintage ones and she sat in the closet for a long while. I'd go Janome over Brother for the reason that the machine before the Janome was a Brother I bought at WalMart and it wasn't all that great.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a massive disappointment to my mom, that most superlative of sempstresses who made all her own clothes (people thought she had MONEY because of it, ha ha!) and all of my clothes growing up. Oh, I did a little - she'd have me pin and cut patterns, hem, put in darts, but machine sewing just never "took" with me. Later I picked up fine needlework though, so I sort of redeemed myself in her eyes. ;))

At one point the hubs and I had 5 sewing machines. Now we only have 2 - one of my mom's - an old Singer 3115 one-direction straight stitch - a solid old machine that she got from an upholsterer, and that she used for making slip-covers, curtains, pillows, etc, and my husband's commercial Bernina that he used back when he was making sails, and that he still uses for canvas work.

Ha, but neither of those is suitable for a novice, I'm thinking. Certainly not ideal for making clothes.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would look at the Eversewn Sparrow 30. It is computerized for ease of use and I understand it has a very good manual which makes it easy to learn on. The singer machine you showed is really too basic in my opinion. It is easier to learn when you don't have to worry about tension issues. The sparrow 30 is 399. If you can find a good dealer in your area, buy it there. If you have any problems you then have a place to go for help.

I own two Bernina's currently. A 180 and a 830 that was the price of a small car. I love Bernina's. I love the way they sew and the features. My 830 is a machine that people either love or hate. I have found that mostly the problems come because the machine is smarter than most people. If you are using a foot that is not suited, it balks. Anyway, that is not the kind of machine you want to use starting out. It you wanted a Bernina some of the lower end models are perfectly wonderful but I believe the Sparrow is made by bernina at a very reasonable price.

I have also owned Janome and a Viking. Janome makes a good machine too. For your very first, I would recommend the Eversewn Sparrow 30. I am seriously considering one for a travel machine. Find a dealer and try one out. You can also read reviews online, and I believe you can get one from Amazon, if you can't find a local dealer.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing to add about looking for the right machine for you. You also need to take a look at how easily available extras are for that machine, and how expensive they are. Extra bobbins, extra feet. With most sewing machine companies these things are fairly expensive. With some of the lower end models those things may even be hard to find. Price all of them out before you buy. Ideally, I would look for a machine that is not too basic, that as your skills get more advanced the machine can keep up with you.

You can find a lot of videos online for many machines including the Eversewn. Spend time watching them and you will pick up on what features are important to you. Pick a machine a little more advanced than you think you need. You can also look at many manuals online. The manual is extremely important in learning how to use your machine so make sure the one you pick is clear and concise.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Sewing is a great creative outlet and stress reliever. While I've always like the idea of making clothing and doing alterations, I've never been able to convince myself that those things are actually fun. However, quilting is a different story. :lol: I know people who think quilting is deathly boring and prefer making clothing. But all that is a digression.

I wanted to tell you about my experience purchasing an entry level machine. Fortunately, I purchased from a dedicated sewing store. When I went back a couple of months and many hours of quilting later because the machine wasn't working, the store kindly gave me full credit toward an upgrade. My upgrade was a husqvarna. It was worth every extra penny. So much easier to use. I can't stress how Important it is to have an easy to use sewing machine.

Several years later I upgraded to a slightly higher end Bernina. Wow! It has been great. Now it's over 15 years old and still works well. I also inherited an Elena Supermatic from the late 1970s. I only does a straight stitch and a zigzag, but it does those things extremely well. Better than the newer Bernina. All this is a really long way of saying that you're better off finding a used machine with metal parts. The entire experience will be so much better. It's hard to emphasize just how much more enjoyment you will get from sewing when you have good tools.

Best of luck. .

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I would look at the Eversewn Sparrow 30.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it's not available in Australia. It can be imported through Amazon but it would be too expensive with added GST.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I didn’t realize you were in Australia. You can still look up manuals and research costs of accessories wherever you are though.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CDC27403-C289-4A6C-9919-5FC93A680ED1.jpeg I’ll just add that it is better to buy a mid to higher price range machine because they have features that make it easier for you to learn to sew. I bought a Brother one.
If you don’t have a spare room to close the door on, you can also buy lovely sewing stations that can store your machine and bits and pieces in out of sight.
My current project remains my crochet granny square. One continuous crochet square, currently 6 meters by 6 meters! There is a Guinness Book of Records record I hope to beat. I also do beading and want to try making resin jewellery pieces.
Other friends have taken up making lead light things ie lamp shades, sun catchers and one does mosaic tiling.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you decided on a machine yet? I've been advised not to go with a Singer so I'm looking at Janome and Brother.
I just got a Singer Quantum Stylist 9985. but I have not had time to play with it yet. My mom is supposed to come over and show me some basics. The machine I purchased was rated very highly on Amazon and seemed to be a nice mix of accessories and features, but now I an concerned seeing the lack of confidence in Singer by other posters. One of my mom's machines is a Brother that also does embroidery, she really likes it. To say that my sewing machine would light usage is a gross understatement, but it's just one of those skills like I feel that I should learn. Also, as my mom is getting up there in years, I thought it would be a nice activity to do together. In reality, it will probably be a frustrating experience for us both, but such is life.;)2

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last, late thought.

Plan on getting yourself a good iron, if you don’t already have one. A decent iron is essential for most clothing construction. And of course you’ll need something to iron on too. A small tabletop model might do the trick, but a standard size board would be easier.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
CDC27403-C289-4A6C-9919-5FC93A680ED1.jpeg I’ll just add that it is better to buy a mid to higher price range machine because they have features that make it easier for you to learn to sew. I bought a Brother one.
If you don’t have a spare room to close the door on, you can also buy lovely sewing stations that can store your machine and bits and pieces in out of sight.
My current project remains my crochet granny square. One continuous crochet square, currently 6 meters by 6 meters! There is a Guinness Book of Records record I hope to beat. I also do beading and want to try making resin jewellery pieces.
Other friends have taken up making lead light things ie lamp shades, sun catchers and one does mosaic tiling.

In our current house we don't have enough room but we'll moved next year and I'll get my own room for sewing, nail art and earring making. It's so much fun!

Wow :eek2: that looks amazing! How long have you been working on it and what's the end goal (Guinness book of Records)?

I love my creative outlets, I'm a much nicer person because of them :lol::mrgreen2:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I just got a Singer Quantum Stylist 9985. but I have not had time to play with it yet. My mom is supposed to come over and show me some basics. The machine I purchased was rated very highly on Amazon and seemed to be a nice mix of accessories and features, but now I an concerned seeing the lack of confidence in Singer by other posters. One of my mom's machines is a Brother that also does embroidery, she really likes it. To say that my sewing machine would light usage is a gross understatement, but it's just one of those skills like I feel that I should learn. Also, as my mom is getting up there in years, I thought it would be a nice activity to do together. In reality, it will probably be a frustrating experience for us both, but such is life.;)2

I think it's great that your mom is helping you get this skill, you'll be happy once you get the hang of the basics. Give the machine a try, I'm sure the good reviews are correct and you'll enjoy using it.

Have you given it a try yet?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
One last, late thought.

Plan on getting yourself a good iron, if you don’t already have one. A decent iron is essential for most clothing construction. And of course you’ll need something to iron on too. A small tabletop model might do the trick, but a standard size board would be easier.

Yes I have bought both as I didn't need them before. I washed the fabrics first and the cotton ones definitely needed ironing :eek2::lol:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I have purchased my first sewing machine :mrgreen2:
https://www.janomesewingcentre.com....s/computerised-sewing-machines/janome-dc2150/

I think it's sold as DC1050 in US.

It's amazing! So easy to use, lots of options and it came with lots of extras from the seller. Initially the thread jammed but after adjusting the thread tension, it works like a charm! I went to the first session of the course and it was great! Learning new things from an expert and meeting other newbies, plus my first skirt is almost finished :mrgreen2: just have to do the hems and elastic waist band. Hopefully I'll be able to alter some clothes soon, once I get more comfortable but I'm really liking it :mrgreen2:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have purchased my first sewing machine :mrgreen2:
https://www.janomesewingcentre.com....s/computerised-sewing-machines/janome-dc2150/

I think it's sold as DC1050 in US.

It's amazing! So easy to use, lots of options and it came with lots of extras from the seller. Initially the thread jammed but after adjusting the thread tension, it works like a charm! I went to the first session of the course and it was great! Learning new things from an expert and meeting other newbies, plus my first skirt is almost finished :mrgreen2: just have to do the hems and elastic waist band. Hopefully I'll be able to alter some clothes soon, once I get more comfortable but I'm really liking it :mrgreen2:

I had a DC1050! When I purchased it I loved it too! Loved the stop function of the machine (could tell it to stop in the down position). I also loved how quiet it was compared to my crappy Brother. I only recently sold it because, well I :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: my vintage machines. My DC1050 didn't always go the instant I pushed on the foot control, compared to the vintage ones. I sold it last week.

Enjoy your new machine, it is a good one! :D I just love vintage ones better. ;-)

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On how fun! I also sew garments. Its an interesting space to be in as a man. I’m currently in the process of making some jeans.

There’s a few good podcasts and FB groups that you might want to investigate. I know there’s a number of folks in AU that sew and might be able to help with sourcing suggestions from your neck of the woods. Posting photos is a great way to get feedback on fitting or problems, and watching what other folks make is a huge source of ideas for projects!

I started out on a low-end singer that didn’t to a ton, but was enough to lean the basics. Its a tough call on a first machjne - on one hand its cheaper to look at the lower end, but theres the risk that you might eventually want a higher end machine as you explore more. Eventually I got a more expensive babylock machine - its not really about the number of stitches, but more about things like moter and feed quality. Looks like you found one to get running with!

Anoher thing to consider - do you like to wear more knit fabric than woven? If so you may wan to thing about a serger / overlocker. They’re amazing for knits, but not what you’d use for seaming wovens (or making buttonholes). So another option would be to get both a sewing machine and a serger, which makes the economics more complicated :)

Do you have any sewing maching dealers nearby? If possible, I’d vote for trying out any machine you’re thinking abiut buying. A decent dealer will have a suite of machines setup that you can try, though they often specalize in a certain brand so comparing brands may require visiting a few places.

Reactions: AV_

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A foot for installing invisible zips is also high on the list.
Yes! If you ever have to install an invisible zipper this foot is amazing. Zippers can be a bit intimidating, but they’re not that hard!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I'll start with an entry model for now and work my way up to some heavier machines for heavier fabrics. I'm focusing on simple clothes, cushion covers, alterations, etc for now.

Do you sew?
Yes. I haven't done a lot in recent years because I live in a stupid small country town and I have no social life, and I don't have a dress-up kind of occupation. I started out making English riding clothing for horse shows, which required me to learn tailoring. After that, fashion clothing and home dec and crafts were quite easy. The machines I learned on were a 1950 Singer 15 and a late '40s White, both straight stitchers. My uncle gave me a nearly new Featherweight when I was in high school. It had belonged to his first wife who'd passed away. Later, I bought a Japanese Kenmore freearm zigzag, and that's the machine that made most of my stuff. I started collecting vintage machines as a hobby in 1999 and have far too many machines now that I an not sewing much at all. :eek2::mrgreen2:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Singer 201K is a great straight stitch vintage machine. I see Oz people in the Facebook group I belong to. There are 2 body styles of it, the curvy one is the older style. If there's a handcrank bolted to the motor boss, it's easy to unbolt that and put on a motor and a belt. Or vice versa. Nice machines. http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/201/
There may be other British or German or Italian Singer machines available in Oz that we can't easily find in the USA.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
On how fun! I also sew garments. Its an interesting space to be in as a man. I’m currently in the process of making some jeans.

Have not dared cut pants! (not commonly finding a good fit in classical fabric either & loath the rest... so yes all the way to skirts, not that I'd endorse them without reservations - hopefully funny)

Anyhow, most taylors and classic cutters are men, as far as I know.

Thinking out loud

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have not dared cut pants! (not commonly finding a good fit in classical fabric either & loath the rest... so yes all the way to skirts, not that I'd endorse them without reservations - hopefully funny)
Its nice to have options and the power to control what you make! The construction isn’t that complicated but can be daunting (Flys!! Pockets!!) - but the fitting takes me forever.

Luckily there’s no lining - those are my nemesis.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Anyhow, most taylors and classic cutters are men, as far as I know.

Thinking out loud

Making pants was one of the biggest reasons I started sewing my clothes. I was down to two pairs of pants, and spent an entire summer learning. I almost gave up. I spent quite a lot learning, however now I know how, and wear mostly my own. I do still wear jeans, only because I haven't made my jean pants. I have made jean shorts (complete w/pockets), but w/o zippers. ;-) My dress pants I have pull up as well as zippered versions. Don't be afraid of pants, I'd start with knits only because you can avoid zippers (still add a faux fly if you want the look), and they are easier to tweak the fit. :D

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Cozystitches

Sure enough!

I have just finished my first sort-of taylored object, a jacket of thin herringbone tweed. There will be pants, even if just to see what it takes to fit them: low cut soft waist - hidden zipper - straight-leg - no pockets. (note: tweed is so easy! The opposite of the impossible crepe, for once. There will be allot more of it in my life... See WWW)

This will be a bit of work, but, so be it. It is nice to tinker with nothing at stake ,) - just to see... Life ought to be this way.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Cozystitches

Sure enough!

I have just finished my first sort-of taylored object, a jacket of thin herringbone tweed. There will be pants, even if just to see what it takes to fit them: low cut soft waist - hidden zipper - straight-leg - no pockets. (note: tweed is so easy! The opposite of the impossible crepe, for once. There will be allot more of it in my life... See WWW)

This will be a bit of work, but, so be it. It is nice to tinker with nothing at stake ,) - just to see... Life ought to be this way.

You have one up on me! I haven't made a jacket. Those are a bit more scary :roll2::lol: :D Good thing I live in the desert, where cardigans rule and I don't have to worry too much about jackets. ;-)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Cozystitches Cardigans rule indeed! And cardigan jackets are the best jackets; after doing one taylored, I am certainly going back to the not fitted type (this sort of thing: www - nevermind the odd buttoned non-fly; the rest culd be my uniform).
-
Desert! Living in a desert would be a dream! (what do I know...)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results