shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile or Tiffany etoile?

Emma112

Rough_Rock
I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable can tell me if there is any true difference between the Tiffany etoile band and Blue Nile’s version. I saw the Blue Nile in person years ago (and not under jewelry store lighting), so my memory may be deceiving me but the Tiffany did seem notably heavier with nicer stones. I really love the Tiffany etoile, but I don’t care about the brand and don’t want to spend an extra $1000 on a blue box if the rings are actually identical.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of craftsmanship, the T&Co. etoile is superior. The setting is beautiful and very low set. T&Co. meleè is also beautiful. The stones might not be super ideal, but they are very well cut and show arrows. BN also produces nice jewelry, but it really can’t be compared to T&Co., at least in my view. There have also been some complaints about the quality of the meleè BN uses. We can recommend other vendors that can create a similar band if you don’t care for the brand and would like to get it at a lower price. Also, there are many T&Co. pre-loved etoile bands on the secondary market. Which version do you like?

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
In terms of craftsmanship, the T&Co. etoile is superior. The setting is beautiful and very low set. T&Co. meleè is also beautiful. The stones might not be super ideal, but they are very well cut and show arrows. BN also produces nice jewelry, but it really can’t be compared to T&Co. at least in my view. There have also been some complaints about the quality of the meleè BN uses. We can recommend other vendors that can create a similar band if you don’t care for the brand and would like to get it at a lower price. Also, there are many T&Co. pre-loved etoile bands on the secondary market. Which version do you like?

I can testify to BN melee complaints as I just complained to them as well. I bought this:

E03077FD-3E77-412F-A2BE-FB9E4478382B.jpeg

Advertised as average vs stones ... but when I looked at them under a 30x loupe, they all look messy, most look like carbonated water, and 95% are strong pink fluorescent (granted they do not mention fluorescence in the item description, so I am not certain what the expectation should be). I mentioned this to BN and they said it was because I was using a 30x loupe. I don’t have a 10x, but strongly suspect that the carbonated water effect can still be seen under 10x. To the eye, they look somewhat cloudy, but they are small and still diamonds, so the sparkle is still there and the ring is still beautiful.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had an unlimited budget, I may consider their engagement rings and center stones. But I would never buy their eternity rings and melees. Tiffany's melees just aren't good enough.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had an unlimited budget, I may consider their engagement rings and center stones. But I would never buy their eternity rings and melees. Tiffany's melees just aren't good enough.
Funny, I think quite the opposite - not worth the premium on e-rings, but love their bands. If we compare T&Co meleè against super-ideal melee, then sure, maybe it’s not “good enough”. But T&Co bands are some of the most comfortable and low set bands on the market. Their service is also pretty amazing. I think that it is important to remember that T&Co is not equal to a “super ideal” and one will always end up paying extra for the brand.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Q is how different are the weights. My etoile seems really heavy/substantial and I love that about it.

Emma112

Rough_Rock
In terms of craftsmanship, the T&Co. etoile is superior. The setting is beautiful and very low set. T&Co. meleè is also beautiful. The stones might not be super ideal, but they are very well cut and show arrows. BN also produces nice jewelry, but it really can’t be compared to T&Co., at least in my view. There have also been some complaints about the quality of the meleè BN uses. We can recommend other vendors that can create a similar band if you don’t care for the brand and would like to get it at a lower price. Also, there are many T&Co. pre-loved etoile bands on the secondary market. Which version do you like?

Thanks, that’s helpful. Normally I’d buy a used one since they’re pretty plentiful but it’s going to be a replacement for my wedding ring and I think I want a new ring for that purpose. The Tiffany ring is within my budget, but if I could get comparable quality for less from other vendors that’s always a welcome option to look into. I’m looking to get a 4mm version in platinum.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny, I think quite the opposite - not worth the premium on e-rings, but love their bands. If we compare T&Co meleè against super-ideal melee, then sure, maybe it’s not “good enough”. But T&Co bands are some of the most comfortable and low set bands on the market. Their service is also pretty amazing. I think that it is important to remember that T&Co is not equal to a “super ideal” and one will always end up paying extra for the brand.
With a Tiffany ER, at least, you can choose a stone that is a super ideal cut diamond, or something really close to it. If you try hard and go thru their inventory, you may find a 34-35/40.6-40.9/54-58.
With a Tiffany eternity ring, there is absolutely no way you will find anything even resembles super ideal melees offered by WF or BGD. When it comes to the quality of melees, there is no contest. There is a complete lack of consistency and uniformity in light reflection and facet patterns in Tiffany melees.

Many people are very selective when it comes to center stones, but a bit lenient for melees. I am the exact opposite. I cannot deal with anything less than super ideal melees. Tiffany's melees are no better than JA (and probably BN) melees.

I am talking about diamonds only. As you mentioned, there are other important factors when choosing a band of course: craftmanship, fit/finish, design, service, comfort, etc...
It is a psychology thing for me. I just do not like the fact that Tiffany skimps on the quality of melees.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can testify to BN melee complaints as I just complained to them as well. I bought this:

E03077FD-3E77-412F-A2BE-FB9E4478382B.jpeg

Advertised as average vs stones ... but when I looked at them under a 30x loupe, they all look messy, most look like carbonated water, and 95% are strong pink fluorescent (granted they do not mention fluorescence in the item description, so I am not certain what the expectation should be). I mentioned this to BN and they said it was because I was using a 30x loupe. I don’t have a 10x, but strongly suspect that the carbonated water effect can still be seen under 10x. To the eye, they look somewhat cloudy, but they are small and still diamonds, so the sparkle is still there and the ring is still beautiful.

A 30x loupe is absolutely a wholly unreasonable tool; your assumption regarding what you’d see through a 10x is as likely as not to be incorrect.

Non-blue fluor (by GIA grading standards) is much rarer than blue. What lighting are you using to judge this? Are you confident in your fixture’s calibration?

I personally have found BN’s provided stones and workmanship to be excellent value for money. For the Etoile - Tiffany, no question.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Q is how different are the weights. My etoile seems really heavy/substantial and I love that about it.
Unfortunately -- unlike Blue Nile (and e.g., Stuller) -- Tiffany does not provide the gram/dram weight in its online pages for any of its rings/bands (both Blue Nile and Stuller even change the weight in their online listings to reflect the metal and ring size chosen). E.g.,
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_4959
But I'd sure like to think that Tiffany can provide reliable and similarly individualized information about an Etoile band in the desired ring size.
With a Tiffany eternity ring, there is absolutely no way you will find anything even resembles super ideal melees offered by WF or BGD. When it comes to the quality of melees, there is no contest. There is a complete lack of consistency and uniformity in light reflection and facet patterns in Tiffany melees.
Well, the Etoile is not an eternity band & you'd need to go custom with Whiteflash to get a similar, scattered gypsy-set ACA band. WF presently offers only Benchmark's version ($795), and that's not set with ACAs nor does it seem to be available in platinum -- although Benchmark's .24 total diamond carat weight is an eensy smidgen higher than Tiffany's listed .22 ctw.
https://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/scattered-diamond-wedding-band-249.htm

The ctw of Signature Melee in Brian Gavin Diamonds' rendition is listed as .20 (no gram/dram weight stated); the web page gives the pricing for such a platinum ring in 5 mm ($1595), but says you should feel free to call to get the price for another width:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...y-bands/scattered-diamond-band-platinum-5435p
I always find myself "wrestling" with BGD's stylized pics, so that + the wider width depicted may be influencing my thought that the BGD one wouldn't be my own top pick of the 4 (Tiffany, BN, Benchmark, BGD).

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
A 30x loupe is absolutely a wholly unreasonable tool; your assumption regarding what you’d see through a 10x is as likely as not to be incorrect.

Perhaps, but I have seen vs stones under 100x magnification, and they don’t look like this, which is the best comparison I could find:
E04DE89A-C95F-4B94-8CFE-2CB115C8458C.jpeg

However, I’m no gemologist, as with the fluorescence ...I don’t know much about it - it’s more than likely you are right. I’m not sure why most glowed bright pink while about six stones looked flat white.

Oh well - it’s still pretty

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps, but I have seen vs stones under 100x magnification, and they don’t look like this, which is the best comparison I could find:
E04DE89A-C95F-4B94-8CFE-2CB115C8458C.jpeg

However, I’m no gemologist, as with the fluorescence ...I don’t know much about it - it’s more than likely you are right. I’m not sure why most glowed bright pink while about six stones looked flat white.

Oh well - it’s still pretty
1. How clean were the stones when you louped them? Also, are you confident the pattern you were seeing was caused by inclusions, and not simply the virtual facet pattern? Do you see black inclusions?

2. In what type of lighting do you see pink vs. flat white?

Misrepresentation of goods does not sound like BN, and you were confident enough in the issue to both complain to the company and post publicly - I would like to know more about what is happening. A plethora of heavily included stones that don’t feature black carbon spots and that fluoresce bright pink is not an everyday complaint.

Again, a 100x magnification view does not tell you what to expect with 30x magnification, which does not tell you what to expect with 10x magnification. At extreme magnification you’re going to lose the forest for the trees - even very included planes can look “clear” thanks simply to having such small surface area in focus at any one time.

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
1. How clean were the stones when you louped them? Also, are you confident the pattern you were seeing was caused by inclusions, and not simply the virtual facet pattern? Do you see black inclusions?

2. In what type of lighting do you see pink vs. flat white?

Misrepresentation of goods does not sound like BN, and you were confident enough in the issue to both complain to the company and post publicly - I would like to know more about what is happening. A plethora of heavily included stones that don’t feature black carbon spots and that fluoresce bright pink is not an everyday complaint.

Again, a 100x magnification view does not tell you what to expect with 30x magnification, which does not tell you what to expect with 10x magnification. At extreme magnification you’re going to lose the forest for the trees - even very included planes can look “clear” thanks simply to having such small surface area in focus at any one time.

Thank you! I sincerely appreciate the information ... those are excellent points ... I did not notice black carbon spots - so seeing the virtual facet pattern is probably exactly what I saw!

I am also listening in regard to the magnification info, and equally appreciate it.

Oh - And rhe flat white looking stones were in the same uv black light, side by side with the bright pink transparent ones - and when I turned the ring - it was consistently the same stones that appeared ... almost a solid white with no transparency. Also it was right out of a uv cleaner.

I feel rather stupid now, but I did feel bad saying something negative about BN, so I’ll say that I stand corrected. It’s amazing what information can do

Anyway, I think I will sign off with apologies to Blue Nile and thank you to Yssie.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I guess T&Co keep the best craftsmen and diamonds but anyone with high quality manufacturing can create a superior work. There are no hidden secrets but using ideal cut diamonds and highly qualified goldsmith.
With brands you pay extra for the brand name.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd contact Whiteflash, Brian Gavin & High Performance diamonds & get votes from them for this type of band. I've tried on the Tiffany band & didn't find it exceptional, although pretty, I'm sorry to say. :( They can custom make any width & depth you may require using great quality melee. This would probably come out to the same price as a Tiff, maybe a bit less, but at least you will get a custom size for your hand. All the best. :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, that’s helpful. Normally I’d buy a used one since they’re pretty plentiful but it’s going to be a replacement for my wedding ring and I think I want a new ring for that purpose. The Tiffany ring is within my budget, but if I could get comparable quality for less from other vendors that’s always a welcome option to look into. I’m looking to get a 4mm version in platinum.

I understand that since this is a replacement you would want to get a new ring. Have you tried the Etoile on in person? For what is worth, I own the YG version and it’s a super comfy and pretty band, in my view. If I was to buy a plat version, I would get the same. If you have the chance to try on other similar bands, you can always visit local stores that might carry Benchmark. BGD/WF will be made to order.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted my wedding band to have substance. I had it custom made inspired by the Etoile and Etienne Perret settings that are actually very similar. Its basically a heavy comfort fit band in weight (just about 5 mm wide along the finger). I had them use larger melee than the Etoile and space them more closely, like the Etienne Perret rings. The wonderful gentleman who made my ring has retired. If I was to have it replaced now, I'd go with @ccuheartnurse votes or David Klass and I'd actually make the diamonds only one diamond-width apart (mine are 2-2.5) . The diamonds really don't sparkle much in these settings, as much as make texture as a function of the gypsy setting. It needs daily cleaning if you want the sparkle to remain. It is durable and has survived over 18 year of me and my job. The smaller your finger, the closer you may want the stones spaced to see more than 1 or 2. I can see 5 on my 10.5 finger from the top, but if my ring size was a 6, I'd only see 3.

Here a picture on my size 10.5 finger next to a 4mm rose gold band.
upload_2018-11-21_7-44-41.png

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There will always be small details that aren't identical. If Tiffany's etoile fits your esthetic perfectly, you may be disappointed in a different version, because even if the quality is the same there will be still be notable difference. Since it's your wedding ring, I'd get the one you wanted originally. Custom is hit or miss; I'd only go custom if you have a clear vision that isn't available on the market, not for cost-saving purposes.

Tiffany's diamonds may not be THE best but they're undeniably decent, and the sum of their parts (service, quality, accessibility, design) makes an attractive package.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmoro
No need for apologies, or signing off! The more strange or interesting an issue the more unyielding my personal methods of 'issue discovery' become... fine habits for engineering, rather less so in sales I'm afraid.

I hope BN is willing to replace those flat-looking stones for you, or replace the whole piece. You must be happy with your purchase - these luxuries cost entirely too much to settle for mediocrity!

Emma112

Rough_Rock
There will always be small details that aren't identical. If Tiffany's etoile fits your esthetic perfectly, you may be disappointed in a different version, because even if the quality is the same there will be still be notable difference. Since it's your wedding ring, I'd get the one you wanted originally. Custom is hit or miss; I'd only go custom if you have a clear vision that isn't available on the market, not for cost-saving purposes.

Tiffany's diamonds may not be THE best but they're undeniably decent, and the sum of their parts (service, quality, accessibility, design) makes an attractive package.

I think you’re right. I’ve tried on the etoile and I know I like the look and feel of it a lot. I should get the one I know I’d be happy with. I’m reconsidering buying secondhand since I realized I’d have no problem buying an antique one-of-kind wedding ring, and this really isn’t different just because this design is still available new. The price difference between new and secondhand is substantial enough to be worth it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you’re right. I’ve tried on the etoile and I know I like the look and feel of it a lot. I should get the one I know I’d be happy with. I’m reconsidering buying secondhand since I realized I’d have no problem buying an antique one-of-kind wedding ring, and this really isn’t different just because this design is still available new. The price difference between new and secondhand is substantial enough to be worth it.

I'm glad you're reconsidering the Tiffany route for this band. I looked at a few options myself last year and Tiffany's implementation won me over every time - the weight, the workmanship exterior and interior, the profile of the shank and the curve of the fit, the size and spacing of the stones - all just right, for me.

Do ask for weights on preloved pieces.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
@kmoro
No need for apologies, or signing off! The more strange or interesting an issue the more unyielding my personal methods of 'issue discovery' become... fine habits for engineering, rather less so in sales I'm afraid.

I hope BN is willing to replace those flat-looking stones for you, or replace the whole piece. You must be happy with your purchase - these luxuries cost entirely too much to settle for mediocrity!

Thank you for that ... I think it would have helped if BN had tried to explain it in more detail, the way that you did. However, all they did was tell me that all their pieces are inspected before shipping and that 30x magnification looks a lot different than 10x. Also, I didn’t look at it or ask them about it until after the 30’days, so they didn’t reply to my last two messages (I sent three - they replied to the first one, the second was expression of ongoing concern, and the third was just the picture of the messy stone that Inooated here) that detailed what I (thought) I saw, and they have made no effort to make me happy ... but in fairness, they are not obligated to do so. Honestly, I would have felt a lot better if all they did was help me to understand, like you did.
An expensive reminder that if you snooze, you lose,’lol.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you can find it secondhand in your size, more power! I love secondhand branded items because of the quality assurance without the huge markup. Watch out for authenticity though, while gold and diamond have less knock-offs than silver it's still a wild market out there. The fake ones always get something wrong though, usually in the small details and overall quality of the piece, so just look really closely and you should be fine. Best of luck!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel the exact same way. I have had the Tiffany Etoile band, the Tiffany Bezet band, and the Tiffany channel set band. I have never felt that the smaller stones were in any way inferior and the sparkle from them is amazing. Their bands feel like butter on the finger as their workmanship is superb. They've been crafting jewelry for a very long time and obviously have honed their craft over the years. If I wanted an etoile band, I would definitely spend the extra money and get the real deal. It is a beautiful piece of jewelry!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results