shape
carat
color
clarity

Black opal pricing and primer?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
im interested in adding a lightning ridge black opal to my collection since I love my crystal opal and welo opal rings so much.

I have no clue about pricing though! Looking at solid opal (not doublets or triplets) the prices can range wildly.

Any good blog posts to bootstrap my black opal education? I understand fundamentals like red colors, darker body and brighter flash, complex patterns vs pin point, leading to more expensive but don’t have good “yardsticks” for quality or pricing the way I feel I do for garnets or sapphires or easiest of all diamonds lol.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s the opal I currently have my eye on. It’s sub carat and 7x6mm priced at 700$/ct. Nice brightness and flash across it when it moves. N2 body tone

I’d call the pattern type floral maybe?

4AB9394A-A292-4F4F-815B-970171FD79FA.jpeg D9DEF9B8-2DEB-41D6-956C-49BFE67A46E5.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert but that looks lovely :)

@jordyonbass might not be able to talk about specific stones, what with now being Trade, but he might be able to assist in terms of pricing structures one might expect to see :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I feel like I’m in the world of jadeite again!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m also interested in more education and web resources! I love the ones that look like modernist paintings, but I started off with more of a “sure bet” for a ring, but I’d love to start collecting. My local B&M favors boulder opals, but they can sort of squick me out with everything going on.:hand:

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Can I say that I have a black opal ring from DK i'm trying to sell ........

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg look at @imdoubler 's ring for sale on LT. So pretty!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I say that I have a black opal ring from DK i'm trying to sell ........

Oh is it the halo one? I’ve admired it! It’s a bit out of budget though :(

Also I think I want an opal with more floral flash vs pinfire

Last edited:

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Yes it is a halo from DK. If it is what you want, send me an offer. I'm very motivated to let it go ...

Oh is it the halo one? I’ve admired it! It’s a bit out of budget though :(

Also I think I want an opal with more floral flash vs pinfire

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm no expert but that looks lovely :)

@jordyonbass might not be able to talk about specific stones, what with now being Trade, but he might be able to assist in terms of pricing structures one might expect to see :)

Correct about being able to comment on stones.

As far as pricing goes - there's some general rules of thumb for Opal:

Body tone; the darker the more desirable. It's also how the determination between white, dark/semi-black and Black Opal is made.

Colourplay; green blues most common, reds and pinks most rare. The brighter the colour, the more colour variation and the more saturation - the more the price
I recommend understanding the N1-10, B1-5 rating for Opals as it will help guide a bit better on pricing.

There are some exceptions to some rules, Crystal Opal can have no body tone colour but a high saturation in colour and brightness and be worth big $$ - not as much as a Black Opal, but more than White Opal. A highly saturated, bright Crystal also doesn't have it's colourplay wash out on light skin tones. It may wash out slightly but if it has good colour it will hold a lot of the colour against a light background.

I joke around that there is potentially a much more accurate way to price Opals than this; if there could be a way to measure my jaw drop when I first see a stone then it will determine price, the further it drops the more the Opal is worth :lol::lol::lol:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Further to the above;

Something not often discussed is directional colour in stones, which means you really only see colour from a certain direction and it's not always when looking directly at the stone. You have to roll it at an angle in order to see the colourplay light up. Sometimes you'll see a stone with great body tone and brightness ratings with a lower price than you might expect - this is often because of directional colourplay.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info!
I also find opal challenging because they are each unique. I might fall in love with a specific one, and be willing to pay more just because even if I can find the same “stats” again in another opal, the shape/pattern/play/colors combination might not charm me the same way. Sigh.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh. Now I have to wait 10 days to see the stone because it’s shipping from Australia.

Anyone want to share inspiration pics for setting it? It’s 7x6mm and safely I’m just not a halo girl.

Some photos I’ve gathered.
The last one let’s me include side stones but I don’t know what I’d use. I think I’d want a colored stone accent..

ADB0328A-4A85-4C23-A373-88A17222444E.jpeg 42C69D9F-D709-444C-84C9-2190607CF8A2.jpeg 558C5548-43DD-4D78-B8C7-77F87792359A.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say I love the Black Opal you chose, MTG - gorgeous pattern and color play - I look forward to your IRL photos & comments.

Right now, based on the photos above, i slightly prefer the stone in the east-west orientation; and any of those 3 settings would suit but in my head the 2nd setting would just rock your Opal.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@marymm thanks! I promise to return with much photos when it arrives.

I think opals are just magic and would love to find a setting that feels that way too. Like something an elf from lord of the rings would wear!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your opal, @MakingTheGrade! The first setting is my favorite, but I tend to go for E-W settings for oval stones. The opal in my avatar is in an E-W setting with red spinel melee in platinum silver.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your opal, @MakingTheGrade! The first setting is my favorite, but I tend to go for E-W settings for oval stones. The opal in my avatar is in an E-W setting with red spinel melee in platinum silver.
Any chance you can share a photo or 2? Sounds amazing.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here you go :) I really like colored stone melee with opals, the red spinel really pops those colors in the opal.

il_fullxfull.1203954598_37hq.jpg IMG_20170525_170221.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go :) I really like colored stone melee with opals, the red spinel really pops those colors in the opal.

il_fullxfull.1203954598_37hq.jpg IMG_20170525_170221.jpg

Beautiful! Hmm. Maybe I should do emerald melee...

Hehe. Getting ahead of myself. Should see the opal first!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend understanding the N1-10, B1-5 rating for Opals as it will help guide a bit better on pricing.

I joke around that there is potentially a much more accurate way to price Opals than this; if there could be a way to measure my jaw drop when I first see a stone then it will determine price, the further it drops the more the Opal is worth :lol::lol::lol:

Funnily when you google “opal brightness” one of the first links is to opal auctions that recommends a b1-b7 brightness scale with 1=bright. Which I think is the exact opposite of what I’ve read about the 5 point scale above. Oy!

Yeah. I go by the jaw drop method when picking an opal. It’s a mix of colors, play, shape and pattern that win me over. I’m excited to see this one because it reminds me of an impressionist painting.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like watching Justin's videos from https://blackopaldirect.com/ as he explains everything carefully, lots of educational stuff as well as opal eye candy! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results