shape
carat
color
clarity

Do Not Eat Romaine Lettuce

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CDC warns all Americans to not eat romaine lettuce. E Coli contamination has sickened 32 people in 11 states.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Again?? I think I just had some yesterday -.-

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CDC warns all Americans to not eat romaine lettuce. E Coli contamination has sickened 32 people in 11 states.

Crap, when? (I bought some Sunday!!)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it so weird that doctors are still recommending that pregnant women don't eat lunch meat and soft cheese when they have not had major outbreaks of listeria in years, but numerous outbreaks of listeria in fruit, salmonella in cucumber, ecoli in lettuce. Seems like you're better off not eating anything fresh!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never thought iceberg would be preferred over romaine!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I told my husband I wanted to go out for a good salad tonight. Scrap those plans.

LOL @StephanieLynn! It may not be preferred but it won’t make you sick.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again? I prefer romaine, and I buy it all the time! I just finished a big bunch yesterday.......:eek2:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crap, when? (I bought some Sunday!!)

It was on the news today. It was reported the CDC issued the warning romaine lettuce is not safe to eat. They also mentioned people were hospitized and this was a particularily bad strain of E Coil that can cause kidney failure.

Please throw it away @Arcadian. They specifically said do not buy it and if you have it in your home, do not eat it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surely this issue is resolved if the lettuce is washed properly?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, just ate some today. :|

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find it so weird that doctors are still recommending that pregnant women don't eat lunch meat and soft cheese when they have not had major outbreaks of listeria in years, but numerous outbreaks of listeria in fruit, salmonella in cucumber, ecoli in lettuce. Seems like you're better off not eating anything fresh!
This winds me up so much! Wasn’t the last big listeria outbreak from blue bell ice cream?!

Seems like lettuce, cucumber and other kinds of fruit are always cropping up as contamination risks....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like lettuce, cucumber and other kinds of fruit are always cropping up as contamination risks....

Is that why most Americans live off fried junk food?

;))

:razz:

lol

[/stereotypes]

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that why most Americans live off fried junk food?

;))

:razz:

lol

[/stereotypes]

There are a lot of factors involved in the poor diets of many Americans. Much of it is due to socioeconomic status and proximity to sources of healthy food. Much of it is also due to very few people growing their own food.

Greens are one of the very simplest things to grow, requiring little space, and relatively low amounts of light. Seeds are very cheap, and one can save seeds from letting one crop go to seed while harvesting others for consumption.

We've really gotten away from being self-sufficient in this country, and have become reliant on big agriculture to feed us instead of doing it ourselves. Small backyard or indoor gardens do not take large amounts of time, effort, or money. The fact is that people just don't know how to grow their own food anymore.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not my lettuce! UGH!

new plan : thanksgiving twizzler and cupcake salad? that is still ecoli free?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, just ate some today. :|
I ate a Cobb salad and a tenderloin salad all with Romaine lettuce within the last four days..:eek2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Never thought iceberg would be preferred over romaine!
Try Arugula..I started having that with a little balsamic dressing..nothing else..during the last romaine recall. It’s delicious!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I've decided if hubby and I don't get sick from this that I'm sticking to spinach from now on lol. I just thought since we were at the emergency room and I wasn't sure what he was allowed to eat that I would bring back a giant salad to share and surely romaine was okay now since I hadn't heard otherwise lately. Lmao!! Apparently I was so wrong. What on earth has been going on with romaine this year?? I don't think I have ever heard of so many problems with it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a lot of factors involved in the poor diets of many Americans. Much of it is due to socioeconomic status and proximity to sources of healthy food. Much of it is also due to very few people growing their own food.

Greens are one of the very simplest things to grow, requiring little space, and relatively low amounts of light. Seeds are very cheap, and one can save seeds from letting one crop go to seed while harvesting others for consumption.

We've really gotten away from being self-sufficient in this country, and have become reliant on big agriculture to feed us instead of doing it ourselves. Small backyard or indoor gardens do not take large amounts of time, effort, or money. The fact is that people just don't know how to grow their own food anymore.
You make excellent points in response to my intentionally tongue-in-cheek/provocative post! :))

'Growing your own' would seem an ideal solution for America - you seem to have generous-to-maaaassive plots of land if you are outside of cities, it would suit the 'prepper' mentality and desire to stand on one's own two feet without the assistance of the state (which seems to be a common approach to life in the US), and it would reduce reliance on both imported food (which would satisfy Trump ;-) ) and bulk-grown crops that can suffer from weather extremes.

I don't know why more people don't do it!

Here in the UK we have tiiiiiny plots of land for new houses in the south of the country, no land at all in the high-density brownfield redevelopment sites in towns and cities that are the focus of housing and population growth (in the form of high-rise apartments, usually), and large swathes of land designated as Green Belt and/or in the hands of farmers who are reluctant to sell any of it, which means being self-sufficient is extremely difficult to do. One can apply for an allotment, but they are also in high demand and not often available, so the only option is to spend even vaster amounts of money on older houses with gardens!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny yes, a lot of folks in the U.S. have plenty of space for a garden, even a small one, or a balcony, or a rooftop, or a bright windowsill, or space to install a grow light. We've become so conditioned to relying on going out to get our food that we don't learn how to grow our own anymore. Fortunately (having been involved in small-scale gardening for the past several years) there seems to be a trend among millenials towards indoor and small space gardening, and most major metropolitan areas are seeing a resurgence of rooftop gardening and many formerly vacant lots are becoming community gardens. Even prisons are joining the garden trend: https://gardencollage.com/change/environmental-justice/inside-rikers-island-prison-garden/

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Arugula..I started having that with a little balsamic dressing..nothing else..during the last romaine recall. It’s delicious!

My mother-in-law grows her own arugula from seeds that I gave her years ago. Once they take off, they grow like weeds and require little care. I'd grow my own if my back yard wasn't full of spiders.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother-in-law grows her own arugula from seeds that I gave her years ago. Once they take off, they grow like weeds and require little care. I'd grow my own if my back yard wasn't full of spiders.
We get ticks really bad in pa where we live in the summer so I wouldn’t plant anything outside. I wonder if it would be worth it to plant a bunch in pots on my deck..

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y'all can grow stuff year 'round...

https://www.amazon.com/Relassy-Spec...&keywords=grow+lights+for+indoor+plants&psc=1

@Mamabean absolutely yes to container gardening. Look into permethrin-treated clothing for gardening in spite of ticks...encourage opossums and other tick-eating critters in your neighborhood. I hate to hear people experiencing defeat from nature--they are ways around all of the "obstacles."
@JPie I have never been afraid of spiders, but I am terrified of bees, which sucks when you love to garden. I just don't let it deter me. Yes, I frequently take off out of the garden screaming like I'm on fire, but I compose myself and get back out there. Damn bees, doing their pollinating thing and giving us life while trying to scare us to death and/or kill us...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@monarch64 Thank you..I will try it this summer! I LOVE arugula so will need large pots!
@JPie My grown son is so afraid of yellow jackets that he jumps around and goes behind me like I’m going to protect him. This is a guy who jumps out of airplanes..runs, hikes..Definitely not a wimp. A yellow jacket turns him into jello. When he was four a yellow jacket stung him on his finger and he was so traumatized. You would think he would be over it by now..

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@monarch64 Thank you..I will try it this summer! I LOVE arugula so will need large pots!
@JPie My grown son is so afraid of yellow jackets that he jumps around and goes behind me like I’m going to protect him. This is a guy who jumps out of airplanes..runs, hikes..Definitely not a wimp. A yellow jacket turns him into jello. When he was four a yellow jacket stung him on his finger and he was so traumatized. You would think he would be over it by now..

:lol: Poor guy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results