shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll:Brown or Yellow Tint in J/K/L stones?

Do you prefer a brown or yellow tint in your J/K/L colored diamonds? (Picture below)

• Total voters

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently inquired about a lower colored diamond that had a report that noted "faint brown" after the color grade. So not a fancy colored diamond, but a warmer diamond that instead of the typical faint yellow visible, had faint brown.

The sales associate basically told me that due to the faint brown, the diamond was unattractive, but they'd be happy to help me find a different (presumably "better") diamond.

So I thought I'd do a poll to see if that's accurate, if many do perceive the brown as "ugly".

I took a shot of a side by side of the virtual videos. Brown on the left, yellow on the right. Which would you prefer? The brown is 800$ cheaper than the yellow.

brownyellow.PNG

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
brown all the way! But of course people are really different in this regard, so probably more than 50% of people prefer yellow.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree depends on the setting :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do people know if the new lab grown diamonds tend to go yellow or brown?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I think I prefer yellow tint because I've seen them 'in the wild' as it were, and I've never seen a brown tinted one, that I can remember anyway. They are both so beautiful! I love the flattering combination of brown tint in rose gold and yellow in yellow, just as EllieFire said above.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Would not complain at all about this range of colour (below) - much lighter, so that the colour is seen to vary with light allot

@diagem cut?

Last edited:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Look then face up then decide. But brown is a less desired color than yellow by fact.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I recall reading somewhere that pricing is highest for yellow tint, lower for brown and cheapest for grey tint. And that is NOT the order of my preferences at all. o_O Turns out that my original 4.8mm I-J color diamond has a grey tint, and when I took it out of it's yellow gold setting and put it in platinum, the stone really came to life. I agree that certain metal colors are more complimentary to specific stones based on their undertones.

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
To me I prefer the brown undertone especially if it's like the one you've pictured. There's almost a pink hue to it and I think it's very pretty.

Thinking of many recent beautiful stones on here, like @whitewave's recent amazing peachy find, and @lovedogs's new CBI, they all err on the browner side and that's just so appealing and pretty! :love:

I'm waiting on a J coloured diamond and can really appreciate the importance of undertone. In general I had believed - and only ever seen - yellow undertones that were quite lurid in nature. I hate to say it, but often I would be reminded of the colour of urine, and that's not a pretty colour really! It had really put me off lower coloured diamonds. However the J I'm waiting on, it definitely has a yellow undertone and not a brown one, but I would say it's more cream or ivory in nature. Hopefully that stays true when I set it, as I'm setting it in platinum rather than rose gold. I totally believe the colour of the metal a stone goes into can really either compliment - or not - its beauty!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer brown in J/K and yellow in L/M and lower. Of course it really depends on each stone (and the setting if I've already decided).

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i LOVE a brown tint in a rose gold setting. absolutely scrumptious.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the flashes of rainbow color coming from a brown or grey stone. At least for me, a seductive combination.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me I prefer the brown undertone especially if it's like the one you've pictured. There's almost a pink hue to it and I think it's very pretty.

Thinking of many recent beautiful stones on here, like @whitewave's recent amazing peachy find, and @lovedogs's new CBI, they all err on the browner side and that's just so appealing and pretty! :love:

I'm waiting on a J coloured diamond and can really appreciate the importance of undertone. In general I had believed - and only ever seen - yellow undertones that were quite lurid in nature. I hate to say it, but often I would be reminded of the colour of urine, and that's not a pretty colour really! It had really put me off lower coloured diamonds. However the J I'm waiting on, it definitely has a yellow undertone and not a brown one, but I would say it's more cream or ivory in nature. Hopefully that stays true when I set it, as I'm setting it in platinum rather than rose gold. I totally believe the colour of the metal a stone goes into can really either compliment - or not - its beauty!

I think I’m going to put it in a thin, small rose gold halo with a plain white gold shank, inspiration below. (No double halo)
30F5B638-F65F-4678-B1ED-9896EAD8A3FA.jpeg

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I think I’m going to put it in a thin, small rose gold halo with a plain white gold shank, inspiration below. (No double halo)
30F5B638-F65F-4678-B1ED-9896EAD8A3FA.jpeg
@whitewave honestly think that would be perfect, it's a way to really flatter the colour of the stone whilst sticking with a white metal. Certainly if I ever had a stone like that I would have to do that, as I don't think rose gold or yellow gold are that flattering on me!

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I prefer the diamond brown color shades over the yellow shades. They are blending better with human skin shades. That said if the diamonds do not include brown clouds that gives them some hazy look.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone is up for a challenge and wants to see if there are any faint brown super ideals out there, I’d be super curious

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the brown tint over the yellow. :cool2:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted for yellow, because I own a M color diamond with no brown or gray and I love it's buttery look. Sometimes it faces up very white, but when it doesn't, it's buttery. I don't think I'd enjoy it nearly as much if it was slightly gray or brown instead. I just adore the pale creamy yellow glow of it.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I took a shot of a side by side of the virtual videos. Brown on the left, yellow on the right. Which would you prefer? The brown is 800$ cheaper than the yellow.

brownyellow.PNG

The yellow one on the right. Absolutely no contest whatsoever. I would not pick that brownish color, ever.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish it were easier to see one in person. Now I’m super curious!

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I wish it were easier to see one in person. Now I’m super curious!

And now I'm curious if you were searching for a specific project already in mind or if you were just browsing diamonds for the fun of it and stumbled upon these two! :))

ETA: I love your Avatar pic!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted yellow since I have a Fancy Yellow Tiffany cushion, fancy intense yellow bracelet and pendant, and my Q-VVS2 CBI with yellow undertones.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now I'm curious if you were searching for a specific project already in mind or if you were just browsing diamonds for the fun of it and stumbled upon these two! :))

ETA: I love your Avatar pic!

Haha. Little bit of both. I have a setting I love that has an Asha in it. I’m considering replacing it with a diamond but faaaaar from pulling the trigger on that.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@MakingTheGrade

JA has many examples - RBC reasonably precisely cut & tinted faint brown or pink/pinkish brown. Couldn't know how much of a hustle it is for you to order one in and return.

Have not looked for tinted H&A elsewhere.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade

JA has many examples - RBC reasonably precisely cut & tinted faint brown or pink/pinkish brown. Couldn't know how much of a hustle it is for you to order one in and return.

Have not looked for tinted H&A elsewhere.

Yup it’s where I found these for the picture. It’s hard to know though since subtle things like tints are way more pronounced in these videos than in real life I imagine.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the brown. I viewed an AVR once that had a brown undertone and it was LUSH. I found it particularly flattering against my skin. I hope my next purchase will be a brown undertoned stone. That being said, I also enjoy yellow undertones- all of my other stones have yellow tones, so I don’t really think there’s a bad choice per se. Pick what you love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results