shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like holiday fruit cakes and eggnog?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to love fruit cakes and eggnog but haven't ate/drink these in many yrs.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t like Christmas cake until I started making it with my mum before she died. We used to make it with all the things we really liked and tweak the recipe to suit and then it got good

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire, I am really impressed tat you gave your own opinion in this thread! Thank you for sharing.
Apparently you have fruitcake and eggnog on your mind,. maybe you should sample some again this year and see if you feel you have been missing anything. :))

Happy Holidays!
Deb :wavey:

PS-I love egg nog, but rarely drink it because it puts weight on me. I always have it on hand during the holidays if my great-nephew will be around (as he will be for several days at Thanksgiving) because he loves it. My mother always made it at home. I have tried several recipes, but I really don't need to tempt myself and everyone else enjoys the store-bought kind. No fruit cake.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Egg nog yes. We have had 2 cartons already but I think we are good probably til more towards christmas now lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At one of my jobs decades ago they used to give all the people who worked there fruit cake at the holidays. I admit I loved it. :lickout: But then again I had a sweet tooth and almost loved anything sweet. LOL.

As for egg nog nope never.

Warning...
threadhighjack.gif

But egg cream? Yes of course. We live near the original Juniors and grew up with egg cream. I mean I was born in Brooklyn and that just might be the egg cream capital of the world...:cheeky:

And many many many years ago when my dh and I were just boyfriend and girlfriend I got him a Juniors egg cream kit as he (not being from Brooklyn originally) had never ever had an egg cream. Imagine that.:doh: So I got him a kit but I am not sure we ever tried it though...:think::lol:

Haven't had either egg cream or fruit cake in decades. Don't miss it. But sweet memories thinking about those days. Thanks @Dancing Fire :))

1200px-Egg_cream.jpg

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/167351/egg-cream/

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/new-york/things-you-didn-t-know-about-egg-creams-nyc#

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love egg nog, not that holiday nog impostor, but real egg nog. Fruit cake, I can honestly say I've only had a handful in my life, and of those, only one tasted really good. Someone gave it to my husband at Christmas as part of a tip. I stupidly did not write down the name or keep the tin. :(2 That's the last one I've had.

Reactions: AV_

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Homemade fruit cake is a tradition. I love my MIL's fruit cake, but she has decided to stop making it due to her age. :cry2: We make it ourselves, but even with her recipe it's never quite the same.

I'll have one half glass of egg nog diluted with milk and I'm good for the season. Not a huge fan.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eggnog makes me nauseous. I don't generally drink milk but don't have any adverse reaction to it. But the combo of milk, lots of sugar and alcohol just turns my stomach. I can't drink white Russian or any chocotinis that were popular few years ago. A small piece of a a good fruit cake is always welcome.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only the fruitcake that my aunt makes which she soaks in brandy for months prior.
Eggnog? Haven't tried any but doubt I will from the looks of the ingredient list.

Reactions: AV_

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't typically like cooked fruit. There are few exceptions but mostly I avoid cooked fruit because its not pleasing to my palate. I've tried different types of eggnog. I can't do traditional (hate to be gross but I may as well just drink it in the bathroom because it goes right through:eek2:) I've tried soynog (can't stomach it for whatever reason) almond nog (ditto goes right through), and even vegan nog (yuck?) So I abstain. I don't need all the damn sugar anyway.

BTW, I make a caramel rum cake that is really good. No fruit at all and, I've learned to make it (the icing) with lactose free milk (even better!)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fruitcake no. Eggnog HECK YES. I would usually mix half nog and half milk to help thin it out.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

YES to both.

Not expecting such things in Andalusia. The local EOY fare is seriously good!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
We don't make fruit cake in our family, but we do have stollen every year, which is kind of similar. I like it, but my husband didn't grow up eating it and hates it. Eggnog, I'm not crazy about. I don't drink, so I've only had the non-alcoholic kind you get from the grocery store.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire, I am really impressed tat you gave your own opinion in this thread! Thank you for sharing.
Apparently you have fruitcake and eggnog on your mind,. maybe you should sample some again this year and see if you feel you have been missing anything. :))

Happy Holidays!
Deb :wavey:
The thought just pop into my mind since it is the holiday season. I haven't crave for them yrs.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eggnog, yes. Fruitcake :knockout:

I thought fruitcakes were only made to give to people you hate.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Egg nogg yes, fruit cake no. Does anyone like mincemeat pie?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had either but would be inclined to try a fruit cake over eggnog.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like people liking either fruit cake or egg nog is a mutually exclusive thing. :P2

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never had eggnog! My dad's family had it every year but I never tried mostly because I was too young to drink alcohol and they always put lots in.

Fruitcake made by my grandfather is delicious. DH always hated fruitcake until I got him to try a bite. Now he loves it too!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've never tried eggnog, but I have to say it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I can't stand fruitcake. Oooooo, but mincemeat pie - that's another matter! I turned my nose up at it as a kid because I thought it sounded gross, and have never been an adventurous eater, but then tried it as a teenager, and was utterly hooked! My mother would make it using one can/jar of mincemeat pie filling mixed with an equivalent amount of raisin pie filling - so spicy good!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't make fruit cake in our family, but we do have stollen every year, which is kind of similar. I like it, but my husband didn't grow up eating it and hates it. Eggnog, I'm not crazy about. I don't drink, so I've only had the non-alcoholic kind you get from the grocery store.

I don't drink, either. We always had eggnog available without alcohol. Which reminds me that I should buy some alcohol since not everyone is is a teetotaler like me! :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had good and not-so-good egg nog... but I've never tasted good fruitcake. Maybe someone would like to send me some they made from their great-great-grandmother's recipe?? ;-)

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nope, don't like either of them. Now a good holiday sugar cookie - that I like!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
love eggnog, can't say I have any liking for fruitcake, first I'm not a nut fan and 2nd I don't like candied fruit. I love mincemeat pie, we were unable to find any mincemeat at any of our local grocery stores, I don't like the jared stuff and the little boxes were nowhere to be found, can buy it online and I may for Christmas.

Egg nog has been a part of the holiday season in my family for over 60 years, before that I'm sure but i can't remember back that far.. My parents drank it with rum I think. I bought 2 bottles from a local farm here in Maine, otherwise the local stuff at the Hannaford's, as the years have gone by it's been harder and harder to find the same taste as when I was a kid, I think corn syrup, fake vanilla etc.. but lucky us here. I have made it also and it's great, but tricky you don't make scrambled eggs.

Happy Holiday!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
At one of my jobs decades ago they used to give all the people who worked there fruit cake at the holidays. I admit I loved it. :lickout: But then again I had a sweet tooth and almost loved anything sweet. LOL.

As for egg nog nope never.

Warning...
threadhighjack.gif

But egg cream? Yes of course. We live near the original Juniors and grew up with egg cream. I mean I was born in Brooklyn and that just might be the egg cream capital of the world...:cheeky:

And many many many years ago when my dh and I were just boyfriend and girlfriend I got him a Juniors egg cream kit as he (not being from Brooklyn originally) had never ever had an egg cream. Imagine that.:doh: So I got him a kit but I am not sure we ever tried it though...:think::lol:

Haven't had either egg cream or fruit cake in decades. Don't miss it. But sweet memories thinking about those days. Thanks @Dancing Fire :))

1200px-Egg_cream.jpg

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/167351/egg-cream/

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/new-york/things-you-didn-t-know-about-egg-creams-nyc#
Omg Missy! I forgot about egg cream! I loved it! Do they still make them?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite fruitcake is Claxton's. It is a small fruitcake but is always moist and delicious. A lot of fruitcake I've tried is just dry and I can't stand that. I loved eggnog as a child but not so much now. Reminds me of drinking whole cream - yuck!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
no to fruitcakes, YES to the nog

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes to Eggnog with a splash of rum..but I haven’t had it in years..No to fruitcake..

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Love fruitcakes, the nuttier the better! I don't like Eggnog though, I like my booze egg and dairy free.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely hate both eggnog and fruitcake. Both make me feel nauseous. DH likes eggnog. I'll just take allllllllll the chocolate/cookies/cheesecake :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results