shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I Being too picky? Custom Etsy ring

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think you are being picky. If it bug you, definitely ask the jeweler to fix.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I would go back to the non-custom ring too. It looked perfectly fine before and you were happy with it before your DH interfered :lol-2:.

ladyonthelake

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, so here we go again. I got the supposed "non-custom" ring back in the mail today. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It is clearly not "non-custom". It has a much more obvious curve to it, instead a gentle, steady slope the original has . So I'm not sure if there was a communication breakdown somewhere with the customer service person and the maker, or they just interpreted "non-custom" to apply to my ring picture I had sent previously.

But the kicker is, it fits pretty stinkin' good. They got the spacing right on the diamonds. They got the 7th diamond at the peak.

So I don't know whether to be happy they got a custom one right or annoyed they didn't send me the orignal non-custom design like I clearly asked. There is definitely a more defined curve to this one.

Lol!!!! Here's the latest pics. IMG_20181119_114029.jpg IMG_20181119_113917.jpg IMG_20181119_113659.jpg IMG_20181119_113355.jpg IMG_20181119_113339.jpg IMG_20181119_113319.jpg

I think I'm happy....but so annoyed too.

Does it look right to you all or does it need the gentler curve? Do I return it on principal and say I meant "non-custom! what else do I need to say to make that happen?"

Attachments

• IMG_20181119_114046.jpg
    IMG_20181119_114046.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 23

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so here we go again. I got the supposed "non-custom" ring back in the mail today. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It is clearly not "non-custom". It has a much more obvious curve to it, instead a gentle, steady slope the original has . So I'm not sure if there was a communication breakdown somewhere with the customer service person and the maker, or they just interpreted "non-custom" to apply to my ring picture I had sent previously.

But the kicker is, it fits pretty stinkin' good. They got the spacing right on the diamonds. They got the 7th diamond at the peak.

So I don't know whether to be happy they got a custom one right or annoyed they didn't send me the orignal non-custom design like I clearly asked. There is definitely a more defined curve to this one.

Lol!!!! Here's the latest pics. IMG_20181119_114029.jpg IMG_20181119_113917.jpg IMG_20181119_113659.jpg IMG_20181119_113355.jpg IMG_20181119_113339.jpg IMG_20181119_113319.jpg

I think I'm happy....but so annoyed too.

Does it look right to you all or does it need the gentler curve? Do I return it on principal and say I meant "non-custom! what else do I need to say to make that happen?"

Detach yourself from the situation for a moment, and your annoyance that they cannot do as asked - do you LIKE this band? Is it what you wanted? Is it symmetrical? It looks it. Are you ok it's more curved? Could you show some pictures of that band by itself?

I think... If, ignoring the company issues, you really like this band, are you likely to like the non-custom one more?

Please don't shoot yourself in the foot to make a principled point by sending something back that by luck happens to be perfect. If it's not perfect... Send it back! But will you be happier with the non-custom one?

And as your husband was a driving force for all of this, what does he think?

ladyonthelake

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Lykame that is a great suggestion. I am definitely trying to detach from the situation and ask if I like what I received today despite what's it taken to get to this point.

I guess at this point I'm trying to decide if I like the more defined curve look, or if I'd prefer the more subtle curve of the non-custom. My husband won't be home until this afternoon, but I'm definitely looking for his approval too. I think I'm still too annoyed to make a decision right now, so for now the ring waits in it's box.

It is pretty symmetrical, and once the ring is paired with my current set, it defintely looks even more "perfect".

Thanks for your input. I just need time. Here's a few more pics. IMG_20181119_125040.jpg IMG_20181119_124818.jpg IMG_20181119_124552.jpg

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Lykame that is a great suggestion. I am definitely trying to detach from the situation and ask if I like what I received today despite what's it taken to get to this point.

I guess at this point I'm trying to decide if I like the more defined curve look, or if I'd prefer the more subtle curve of the non-custom. My husband won't be home until this afternoon, but I'm definitely looking for his approval too. I think I'm still too annoyed to make a decision right now, so for now the ring waits in it's box.

It is pretty symmetrical, and once the ring is paired with my current set, it defintely looks even more "perfect".

Thanks for your input. I just need time. Here's a few more pics. IMG_20181119_125040.jpg IMG_20181119_124818.jpg IMG_20181119_124552.jpg

As far as I can tell, that looks like a pretty perfect version of the type of ring that it is. I'm sure it's easier to see in person whether it is truly symmetrical, the one on your hand looks pretty perfect. It obviously does have a pronounced curve and that may not have been what you wanted. I think it's a beautiful ring and it does look like it sits beautifully flush with your ring.

I guess my concern would be, if the experience has flustered you enough that you cannot even look at the ring with hearts in your eyes, but more that you look at it with frustration at the experience, that might be something that ruins it for you. See what your husband says without first expressing your opinion and then sleep on it.

If you did send it back and get the non-custom one, it may not sit so nicely, and it also may be marred with the same feelings of annoyance associated with this one as to how long it took you to get to the point of having it.

Just please don't rush the decision, it would be a shame to reject a ring that turns out to be perfect. Perhaps you can assign a metaphorical meaning to it, the hurdles you have overcome, and you have triumphed.

ladyonthelake

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Lykame thank you for such a lovely, thoughtful response.

I went back and looked at the original pictures of the non-custom band. There are differences between the two, but they are definitely subtle differences. But they both accomplish the same overall "look". A look that I still love and have not been able to find elsewhere.

I think in the search of trying to make the band "perfect", it has definitely caused more headache than it's been worth. Lol. Lesson learned in so many ways!!!

But the end result I surprisingly received today...:think:...another "custom" band.......well, now that I am getting over the initial shock and frustration...I can appreciate that this one was executed really well!! And the extra curve is just a little sexy flair. :) It's growing on me.

Hubby should be home soon! :) :)

I love that this ring could represent the journey we've been on. Definitely bumps along the way. Things we weren't expecting....but the end result is gonna be SOOO good!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Lykame thank you for such a lovely, thoughtful response.

I went back and looked at the original pictures of the non-custom band. There are differences between the two, but they are definitely subtle differences. But they both accomplish the same overall "look". A look that I still love and have not been able to find elsewhere.

I think in the search of trying to make the band "perfect", it has definitely caused more headache than it's been worth. Lol. Lesson learned in so many ways!!!

But the end result I surprisingly received today...:think:...another "custom" band.......well, now that I am getting over the initial shock and frustration...I can appreciate that this one was executed really well!! And the extra curve is just a little sexy flair. :) It's growing on me.

Hubby should be home soon! :) :)

I love that this ring could represent the journey we've been on. Definitely bumps along the way. Things we weren't expecting....but the end result is gonna be SOOO good!

Silly question - do you think this IS a custom band? And not just a non-custom one that looks a bit different from the first one you had? As it's an Etsy shop perhaps there are some variances between the bands? That may not be the case but it suddenly crossed my mind.

Also - totally love your approach to it, I think that would be totally the right way to view this ring! There's been a lot of hard work, lots of love, ups and downs, a bit of luck and surprises - and yet you arrived at a point of happiness!

Very excited to hear what your husband thinks!

I would agree that it's a sexy ring, too! A bit curvaceous, a bit dramatic, but still retaining some subtleness and sophistication.

ladyonthelake

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Lykame I guess there is that possibility that this was another variation of the band at the Etsy shop, but I've only seen the one version of it in their listings.

My husband came home a little bit ago, and I was beaming when I ran to get the box and show him. It actually kind of caught me by surprise how excited I got. But I took it as a good sign I'm moving past the frustrations and I am excited about this ring!

He said it looks really nice, made a comment about how funny it was they couldn't get it right last time, and that was it. :) He asked if I was happy with it, and I said yes! He gave me a high five. That's how we roll. Lol.

I'm still not wearing it yet cause he said he wants to make it feel like official anniversary gift... So he must have something up his sleeve and I'll have to wait till he's off work for the day.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Lykame I guess there is that possibility that this was another variation of the band at the Etsy shop, but I've only seen the one version of it in their listings.

My husband came home a little bit ago, and I was beaming when I ran to get the box and show him. It actually kind of caught me by surprise how excited I got. But I took it as a good sign I'm moving past the frustrations and I am excited about this ring!

He said it looks really nice, made a comment about how funny it was they couldn't get it right last time, and that was it. :) He asked if I was happy with it, and I said yes! He gave me a high five. That's how we roll. Lol.

I'm still not wearing it yet cause he said he wants to make it feel like official anniversary gift... So he must have something up his sleeve and I'll have to wait till he's off work for the day.

Thanks for the nice comments!

I'm delighted for you, I think your reaction to showing your husband tells you everything you need to know about how you feel about the ring! Totally wonderful!

And awwww, him doing something nice and romantic in association with it is just icing on the cake!

Congratulations, @ladyonthelake. Really happy for you!

ladyonthelake

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Lykame thanks so much! Feeling totally happy and relieved! The initial negative feelings have been replaced with giddiness! Lol. Thanks for talking me through it today. :)

@natasha-cupcake Thank you!!!

You all can breathe a sigh of relief now that this is OVER. Goodness...the drama I've created for myself over such a little thing...:mrgreen:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great, also! I think that your reaction when showing your husband says it all. You've finally got the ring sorted.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Whatever they did, it's a *really* beautiful set. Enjoy :)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
If it helps I think this version looks very pretty!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATS!! on a very beautiful resolution to the ring issue. :D

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new band looks lovely despite some of the challenges along the way. It looks beautiful with your wedding set!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It looks perfect and it looks custom made. And you don’t have to deal with the vendor again. Hurray! The set looks beautiful together, enjoy!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
I love this!! I'm not normally super keen on curved bands but there's something about this one that I really love - I think it looks perfect with your engagement ring! Love, love, love :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results