shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Feel Pressure to Wear Makeup?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear sunscreen religiously in the summer along with a huge-brimmed hat, but perhaps I should do it year-round too. Chrono, do you live in a hot place?

My makeup is going to waste. I have such nice stuff - Nars, Laura Mercier etc. - and I find it so relaxing to apply, but I go bare-faced without more often than not because I can't wake up in time to do it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jambalaya
I’m in the mid Atlantic area in the US. It’s definitely cold and icy now.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've considered wearing sunscreen every day even in winter but I don't. Perhaps I should, though, because it's UVA that causes the damage and it's present on cloudy days. I'm not outside much but I guess it's all cumulative.

P

PierreBear

So late to this thread but I grew up not "allowed" to use makeup so it wasn't until my post college days when I was in the workforce that I felt a bit out of place. Took some courage to watch some videos and go to Sephora and ask for makeovers. Eventually found the right person to teach me how to look and feel natural. I remember the days that brown eye liner was all that I would wear and black eye liner felt too BOLD and was only for evening time. I definitely still go for the look of natural and very little but have become comfortable with black eyeliner now.
It's part of my waking up morning routine and it only takes about 5 minutes to put "work" face on. It makes me feel confident and beautiful. I do it for me and feels like it makes a big difference in looking more "put together." DH says whether I wear makeup or not, I look about the same. Sweet guy but not truly convinced... the times I never wear makeup is when I work out in the mornings. Hope this helps!

Also, if you want to be a minimalist, there are foundations with spfs built in. I personally rather not have my makeup and sunscreen combined but it is an option if you are slowly trying to get into it. So at least you protect your skin and even it out in just one step.

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
Very interesting thread! Yes I've felt pressure to wear makeup, but I try not to give in ;)2. Thankfully my husband likes me without it, unlike the guys in that video haha. I've never liked makeup and would seriously resent having to wear it every day. I do put it on for special occasions just to avoid commentary. I like stage and cosplay makeup because it's about creativity, but when I have to deal with makeup in normal life, it makes me feel like I'm not good enough already and that's why I have to do this.

Makeup or no, it seems we all have two things in common: 1) our preferred option makes us feel confident, and we feel less confident when we have to go the other way, and 2) we can't help exerting some subtle pressures on others, although we all hate when it happens to us!

I know I'm guilty of it. I'm often the "lowest maintenance" woman in the group, and sometimes I feel anxious about how long I can get away without sacrificing more time, money, or comfort for "beauty". Sadly it just makes my life easier when other women aren't constantly done up, because I get less judgment and pressure that way, and my appearance doesn't stand out as much. That's sad because glamorous women are awesome, I don't want to dull anyone's sparkle, I'd rather cheer them on! But for me it's natural all the way, and it seems like that's been getting less acceptable for women since the 70s, so I do want to fight back against that. Well actually I don't want to fight anything, I don't want to think about stupid beauty standards at all, but when you're outside of the norm it's hard to ignore it entirely.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I did a quick headcount in this thread the other day, and it was something like 24 posters had replied and about 20 said that they never or rarely wear makeup. Yet the beauty industry in the US is the world's most valuable and generates 84 billion dollars in revenue per year. Are PSers really so outside the norm, or do people in general just not like to admit to wearing makeup? :think: I have noticed that whenever there's an article about makeup in the press, commentators pile on insisting that they rarely touch the stuff. Yet someone is supporting this 84-billion-dollar per year industry! :lol:

ETA: It's probably me supporting the industry since I buy so much at Sephora (and then don't get around to using it. I can vouch for the fact that makeup lasts many years longer than the packaging states). Sadly, Sephora is on my way home.

ETA2: I also think there is pressure in some circles not to wear makeup, like Monarch said. Even though I rarely get up in time to use it, I've always liked makeup in principle, and I did notice there's a slightly snobby attitude toward makeup in the Amy Schumer video. Check out the beginning, where she's portrayed as simpering and girlie and wearing a pink dress in the part where she's happily wearing makeup.

I think we're under pressure to look good but not to admit to doing anything - so to look effortlessly good!

Talk about pressure!

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The beauty industry includes skincare and maybe hair care as well. I don't spend a lot on skincare, but others certainly do. Then there's perfumes which are very expensive. I avoid that mostly, because my DH has asthma. Makeup usually expires before I can use it.:lol-2:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's true, Lyra. Yes, the beauty industry is more than makeup.

I found this interesting statistics table that breaks down makeup sales:

Cosmetics sales.JPG

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting how lipstick is the third most popular item but lip treatment is at the bottom, and also interesting how blush is relatively unpopular. I look like death warmed up without blush!

The fact that lipstick is so popular jibes with stats that say women get lip cancer much less often than men.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lyra - I have an eyeshadow that I've had for 13 years. It seems fine! LOL.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Foundation sales in the US are 156 million. 311 people, 50% are women, take out the kids, then VERY ROUGHLY that's about $100 a year on foundation for every adult female in the States.

Interesting!

But according to our straw poll on here, about half of women don't wear it. So women who do wear it must spend an average of $200 a year on foundation.

That's quite a lot. :think:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s really surprising that foundation is number one and that blush is way down on the list.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
when you're outside of the norm it's hard to ignore it entirely

In this sense, I might be blind - WWW. Not sure how this works... (random note)

Sidenote: nice to see your marquise ring again!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Foundation sales in the US are 156 million. 311 people, 50% are women, take out the kids, then VERY ROUGHLY that's about $100 a year on foundation for every adult female in the States.

Interesting!

But according to our straw poll on here, about half of women don't wear it. So women who do wear it must spend an average of $200 a year on foundation.

I use very little foundation, a 30 ml bottle that I bought about 4 years ago (for under $50) still has about an 1/8 left of product in it. BUT, I had the guy at the mac cosmetics counter test different colors and formulations on me before choosing it. I wonder if so much is spent on foundation because it's bought at the drug store where you can't test it out first. I know I've thrown away many bottles of wrong color, dried out foundation with plenty left over the years.

Recently I discovered eye pencils that I've had SINCE COLLEGE in an old box. At first I was excited to see an old Estee Lauder favorite but then realized I should probably toss out the whole box (and did).:lol:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't start wearing makeup every day until my 50's. I started seeing slight signs of aging and didn't want to be the old lady in the office. Before that it was only for special occasions. Now I always wear makeup to work but usually not on weekends. I'm inconsistent on how much makeup I wear when I do -- often skipping foundation, etc. Admittedly, I'm not very good at putting it on either and wish I had the patience to learn how to do it properly to contour, etc.

When I was in my 20's, someone said to me "You don't need makeup. It probably wouldn't make a difference". I laughed and said "Of course it does...I'll wear it to the Christmas party". I went all out and had my hair and makeup done at the salon. Some of my co-workers didn't recognize me at first :o Back in the office there were many jokes about my "twin sister" showing for the party. Someone asked why I didn't wear it all the time. I said "First, I'd rather sleep and who am I trying to impress?" and "Second, if I wore makeup, then you would all wonder what's wrong with me when I didn't. This way I manage expectations :lol: "

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting!

Although of the women here who say they don’t wear it regularly, most still do it infrequently so might still buy it yearly just to have fresh product if they use liquid foundations etc.

Also not sure what they count as “foundation”, cc cream? Tinted moisturizer? Setting powders?

Haha and of all the make up things, foundation might be one that some men use in theater/acting/broadcasting, more so than lipstick for example. So it also has a bigger market than just women!

Here’s a hilarious video of a male weather man doing his own make up, “blend like you hate your skin!”

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting!

I'm not surprised at that number at all.
I'm usually wearing mascara ( Diorshow) and Bobby Brown gel eyeliner only. The liner usually lasts about two years, but I like to buy a fresh one before the pot is empty. I change mascara every 4-6weeks for hygiene. I sometimes wear tinted moisturizer. So the real HG, everyday items I use are pretty minimal, I'd say. My bill still adds up to a whopping 450€/year (10 x 36€ for mascara, 35€ eye-liner, 1- 2 x 55€ tinted moisturizer).

I guess you can easily add another 100-200€ for miscellaneous impulse buys (bronzer in summer, highlighter, nail polish, and cute eyeshadows that I wear very rarely)

And there's no skincare included in that bill yet... No sunscreen etc...

And then I buy A LOT of niche perfume.
So I wasn't surprised at all. I think I'm wearing less makeup than most of my friends (they'll add foundation, bronzer and eyebrow products to the daily routine - they won't look heavily made up at all, just a light touch of the aforementioned items)and I'm above average spending wise.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very interesting to read this thread! I recently got a permanent employment at a university and celebrated by giving up makeup entirely. Had my first lecture without makeup, felt nervous at first but then I forgot about it. I honestly dont think my students noticed.
I never used to wear much makeup anyway and never when at home, but it feels very liberating giving it up completely. I never liked it and was never any good at applying it. Although I dont like it on me I still like it on others when it is well done.
I also stopped wearing bras, high heels, jeans and uncomfortable clothes in general after having my first child. The pregnancy tought me that you can look good in comfortable clothes. ;)2 I think not wearing makeup is simply the next step.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting to read this thread! I recently got a permanent employment at a university and celebrated by giving up makeup entirely. Had my first lecture without makeup, felt nervous at first but then I forgot about it. I honestly dont think my students noticed.
I never used to wear much makeup anyway and never when at home, but it feels very liberating giving it up completely. I never liked it and was never any good at applying it. Although I dont like it on me I still like it on others when it is well done.
I also stopped wearing bras, high heels, jeans and uncomfortable clothes in general after having my first child. The pregnancy tought me that you can look good in comfortable clothes. ;)2 I think not wearing makeup is simply the next step.

May I be the first to love your post (wish there was a love function here haha) and add a resounding yassssss.

I gave up heels before I ever started wearing them (one advantage of being a klutz and knowing what one can and cannot handle). Function above form was always my motto but definitely you can marry the two and look good and feel good as well.

I agree some women look amazing in makeup and if they wear it because they enjoy it more power to them. Same for heels etc. But by the same token good for those who don't want to wear those and are comfortable not wearing makeup/heels etc. And yes to no bras. I hate them and never wear them in the house but usually wear them out of the house. I say usually but not always. Depends. As for jeans generally I am with you again. Besides a favorite pair of worn in old jeans (that I would never wear in public now anyway) I don't find them comfortable and don't particularly love them anyway.

It is liberating to wear what one wants to wear and what one feels comfortable in and it is all about feeling comfortable in one's own skin anyway IMO. Whether that is with or without makeup or with or without heels etc.

Wear what makes you happy and don't live for what makes others happy.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wish I didn’t have to wear a bra but then either you can very obviously see my nipples in the summer under thin material, or they get irritated by thick winter material..and you can still see them cause now it’s cold.

I definitely do not want visible nipples at work!

I only wear non wire bras thoughs to maintain comfort. No push ups for me.

Recently I’ve had an addiction with highlighters. Not that surprising. I’m a shiny addict after all, I love diamonds in all forms, even as dust applied to my face :p

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's a PS thing? I see women around me wearing makeup everyday.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha I’ve tried those actually! Don’t always work they way you expect and also uncomfortable. :/
Really? I bought some and I honestly don't even know they are on, to the point a couple times I got undressed and got in the shower with them on! Maybe give some another try?

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's a PS thing? I see women around me wearing makeup everyday.

It depends where you live...many women in my neighborhood wear little to no makeup from what I can see...

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy you say it much better than I can, I completely agree with you!

@MakingTheGrade I am sure everyone is different etc. I discovered amazing nursing tops when I was nursing (doing that again btw) that I simply kept using when I stopped nursing. Not sure re the correct word in English but it is like a tank top with a double layer of fabric over the ladies. Keeps them in place comfortably and no issues with nipples showing. I almost always wear loose shirts over so no issue if there would be a nipple. :oops:;)2 Also, I live in a very cold country.
I once tried to convince another lady, who told me she hated her bra, of the benefits of a nursing top, but she kinda thought I was nuts so... :roll2::lol-2:

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I BUY makeup but don't really wear it. Maybe lip gloss a few times a week. Then after a while I toss the old stuff out and re-buy. Gotta have it around for the few times a year when I do need it. So people like me are definitely contributing to the cosmetics sales :lol:.

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
In this sense, I might be blind - WWW. Not sure how this works... (random note)

Sidenote: nice to see your marquise ring again!

That's a good way to look at it!

I don't mind ignoring the norm when it comes to things I actually enjoy. The unusual things I enjoy say something about me, so it's a badge of honor to be judged based on them. I'd rather not be judged on something I don't care about at all (makeup), but I should manage to own the judgments, they're not all bad - I'd just hate to have personal or professional consequences for something so absurd.

Nice to see a post from you too! I enjoy your posts, I like to imagine you traipsing around Spain with a peruzzi cut, or perhaps something with this sensibility (saw this in person and I find it unforgettable!)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@naivemelody I am traipsing around Generalife (they make it oh so nice to 'traipse'! - www ) with pearls (not what you-d think of) working on some academic papers that I already have by & large figured out, so writing is just pure stress! I might have thought that a diamond should be there, at the end of this charade... - the cuts in the Canning, backed slabs and points, would be very right for me .)

___

But that Jewel...
- what else would a Borgia gift to the Mughal court! I might immagine the nerve it took to propose the design - like some such is still done: a thesis in foreign affairs... I might recall merely natural blister pearls of similar size to that enormous baroque; Things you got me thinking & writing about! - see this: WWW

Of course I am complaining all the time about choosing gifts this time of the year! - NOTHING THAT HARD TO DO - FORSHAME, yet o_O

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results