shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun at the gem fair today

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
There is a fun gem and mineral show twice a year near me and I always try to pop in because I never know what might pop up. I picked up a 32.76 ct mostly opaque natural star ruby that I’m going to make into a silver pendant. IRL the body color is between the first two photos with a fine schiller that hovers over the whole surface.
69010C04-7B75-492B-B2BF-91EA513FF49C.jpeg
I also stumbled across a Mozambique cuprian tourmaline I am pretty taken with but I’m not sure if the price is good as I’ve not ever shopped for cuprians before. It’s 7.35 cts and there’s a window, also some visible inclusions but nothing too terrible. And no dark inclusions...in one photo of it there’s an odd shadow...no inclusion there. The color is unreal...somewhere between a fuschia with a grape modifier and a hot pink... and the glow in low light is soooo lovely. It’s in 14k with diamonds and the price is $2500. I didn’t buy it but I’m thinking about it. this dealer doesn’t have a website so his wares don’t get a lot of exposure, but is it just me or is that low? He is a dealer I trust and my jeweler has known him for 20+ years. Thoughts?
3D2BB1BC-CF53-4050-83CC-E4998FA347F7.jpeg

Also, anyone in need of a 18.87 Paraiba that tends towards greenish blue rather than bluish green? It is not as green IRL as in these photos...little more blue. 35k will take it home lol. My pics aren’t the best...it had serious glow.

0A5F777A-DBBE-4CFD-B491-340BA5CD6C90.jpeg

Attachments

• BD6B7580-3CBA-4E25-9C6A-B3870776D558.jpeg
    BD6B7580-3CBA-4E25-9C6A-B3870776D558.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 3A224623-0E3A-428D-BCAE-70691F3C592E.jpeg
    3A224623-0E3A-428D-BCAE-70691F3C592E.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 17
  • C165F637-77E6-40F0-922D-5C5334B0F43D.jpeg
    C165F637-77E6-40F0-922D-5C5334B0F43D.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 18
  • F69C925B-2554-4B24-A92D-C730010218DB.jpeg
    F69C925B-2554-4B24-A92D-C730010218DB.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 17

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow thanks for all the pics and descriptions!!!!! Keep em coming!!!!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that raspberry cuprian tourmaline is gorgeous, and if it wouldn’t breat the bank for you you should snap it up! It looks perfect on you!

There is a lovely one at whitesgems.com now that was more than I have in my piggy bank. I think Elle posted a picture under the Gem Scoop listing. There aren’t that many of them floating around to compare.

Please keep those pics coming!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I think that raspberry cuprian tourmaline is gorgeous, and if it wouldn’t breat the bank for you you should snap it up! It looks perfect on you!

There is a lovely one at whitesgems.com now that was more than I have in my piggy bank. I think Elle posted a picture under the Gem Scoop listing. There aren’t that many of them floating around to compare.

Please keep those pics coming!

Thanks Missy! If I wasn’t actively hunting for my HG OMC I probably would have bought it on the spot. I just have this horrible anxiety that I’ll buy something smallish and have it be just enough that my HG stone comes up and I can’t get it! :eek-2:

Any idea what the per carat is on cuprians? How’s much was the JW stone? I couldn’t find it as it had already sold.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness that pink cuprian tourmaline is gorgeous!!! I'm sure it is a pretty penny, but man what a color.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy! If I wasn’t actively hunting for my HG OMC I probably would have bought it on the spot. I just have this horrible anxiety that I’ll buy something smallish and have it be just enough that my HG stone comes up and I can’t get it! :eek-2:

Any idea what the per carat is on cuprians? How’s much was the JW stone? I couldn’t find it as it had already sold.

Hmmm. I don't think JW's cuprian has sold (yet). At least it is still marked as available on his Member's page. It was just posted yesterday. I don't think I'm allowed to post the link here, since it is for newsletter subscribers only. You could probably sign up though and get him to send the link to you.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun adventure. The stones are lovely. I think the star ruby will make a beautiful pendant.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cuprians seem to be going for a lot these days. Especially since you don’t see as much coming out of the original mine in Brazil. Personally, I think that raspberry colored cuprian is gorgeous and at $2,500 (did you actually say $2,500?) I’d buy it in a heartbeat! :love:

Here’s a picture of the one Jeff is selling. It’s still in the members only section, which is why you can’t see it on the site. It’s 4.21ct and about $3,500 (with a member discount).

72C097E8-438E-48C1-9093-B21D728CF05B.jpeg 5EBF8374-69F0-4CFE-84CE-26297558D7B6.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love love your new star! It’s huge and wonderful:razz: also, that cuprian is a beautiful color and a great size. Must have been A LOT of fun!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Cuprians seem to be going for a lot these days. Especially since you don’t see as much coming out of the original mine in Brazil. Personally, I think that raspberry colored cuprian is gorgeous and at $2,500 (did you actually say $2,500?) I’d buy it in a heartbeat! :love:

Here’s a picture of the one Jeff is selling. It’s still in the members only section, which is why you can’t see it on the site. It’s 4.21ct and about $3,500 (with a member discount).
Thanks for the info! I signed up for the emails but don’t get them for some reason. The cut is great on the JW stone but I don’t like he color as much as the one I saw today. I can’t stop thinking about it!!

I would love to just snap it up...but my wish list is growing and my HG diamond comes first. I’m supposed to be seeing 3 or 4 options at the beginning of the week. After that, there’s a 3ct french cut eternity band, and antique brooch, and now this ring on my wish list! Ai!

Love love your new star! It’s huge and wonderful:razz: also, that cuprian is a beautiful color and a great size. Must have been A LOT of fun!

Thanks Bluegemz :bigsmile: it was TOO much fun. Too many ways for me to part with my $$$!

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium

72C097E8-438E-48C1-9093-B21D728CF05B.jpeg 5EBF8374-69F0-4CFE-84CE-26297558D7B6.jpeg

Holy crap! I completely missed the detail about it being $2500. That is an absolute steal. I agree with Elle - I would buy that thing with no hesitation!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The pink cuprian is huge and a beautiful color. It has a window but at this size, it would be a good candidate for a re-cut, no? I think you should go for it!

ETA: I assume it comes with a lab report since it is being sold as a Cuprian?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
The pink cuprian is huge and a beautiful color. It has a window but at this size, it would be a good candidate for a re-cut, no? I think you should go for it!

ETA: I assume it comes with a lab report since it is being sold as a Cuprian?

You know, I’m not totally sure on the certificate. I think I’ll call tomorrow and ask!

Are cuprians kind of like Paraibas in that I should expect that there will be some visible inclusions in a stone that size?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I had to go back to visit the Mozambique tourmaline ring again. No certification, the dealer bought the rough more than a decade ago and had it cut. He says it’s copper/magnesium bearing. It has more inclusions in it than I like but It truly does glow. I took it into various lighting (incandescent, fluorescent, sun, shade) and it has so many personalities! I really like it but would you pull the trigger without a cert?
C333D418-D330-40B5-A421-CE665A36E098.jpeg

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
There is a fun gem and mineral show twice a year near me and I always try to pop in because I never know what might pop up. I picked up a 32.76 ct mostly opaque natural star ruby that I’m going to make into a silver pendant. IRL the body color is between the first two photos with a fine schiller that hovers over the whole surface.
69010C04-7B75-492B-B2BF-91EA513FF49C.jpeg
I also stumbled across a Mozambique cuprian tourmaline I am pretty taken with but I’m not sure if the price is good as I’ve not ever shopped for cuprians before. It’s 7.35 cts and there’s a window, also some visible inclusions but nothing too terrible. And no dark inclusions...in one photo of it there’s an odd shadow...no inclusion there. The color is unreal...somewhere between a fuschia with a grape modifier and a hot pink... and the glow in low light is soooo lovely. It’s in 14k with diamonds and the price is $2500. I didn’t buy it but I’m thinking about it. this dealer doesn’t have a website so his wares don’t get a lot of exposure, but is it just me or is that low? He is a dealer I trust and my jeweler has known him for 20+ years. Thoughts?
3D2BB1BC-CF53-4050-83CC-E4998FA347F7.jpeg

Also, anyone in need of a 18.87 Paraiba that tends towards greenish blue rather than bluish green? It is not as green IRL as in these photos...little more blue. 35k will take it home lol. My pics aren’t the best...it had serious glow.

0A5F777A-DBBE-4CFD-B491-340BA5CD6C90.jpeg

Oh, I have to ask - is this in Colorado? I've never gone to the shows here before, but I may need to. That ruby is huge.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
would you pull the trigger without a cert? C333D418-D330-40B5-A421-CE665A36E098.jpeg
If it is a dealer known to you, and you said it was, I would. Just ask if he will guarantee it is a cuprian tourmaline and have him document the details on the receipt. Then just get a cert yourself to confirm.

And Paraiba's are cuprian tourmalines..same chemical makeup, so inclusions are normal. Paraiba just refers to the original mines in Btazil and there has been controversy whether those found in Africa can use the name Paraiba

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I have to ask - is this in Colorado? I've never gone to the shows here before, but I may need to. That ruby is huge.
Nope, not in CO. I’m in Atlanta. If you’re looking for a ruby like the one I picked up, he has one more that is almost it’s twin and it was pretty reasonable (~$5/ct).

If it is a dealer known to you, and you said it was, I would. Just ask if he will guarantee it is a cuprian tourmaline and have him document the details on the receipt. Then just get a cert yourself to confirm.

And Paraiba's are cuprian tourmalines..same chemical makeup, so inclusions are normal. Paraiba just refers to the original mines in Btazil and there has been controversy whether those found in Africa can use the name Paraiba

Thanks! That makes sense. Although, truth be told, I don’t think I would actually ever get around to sending it to the lab. As a consumer I am frankly just lazy enough that I don’t want to have to make the extra effort.

And thanks for the Paraiba clarification, Limosun. I forgot that Paraiba is applied to colors other than just the windex blue. I know that many tolerate high levels of inclusions in neon blue paraibas. I guess I just don’t have much knowledge when it comes to the availability or scarcity of cuprians in other colors. I wondered if they are likewise hard to come by and thus visible inclusions are more tolerated.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And thanks for the Paraiba clarification, Limosun. I forgot that Paraiba is applied to colors other than just the windex blue. I know that many tolerate high levels of inclusions in neon blue paraibas. I guess I just don’t have much knowledge when it comes to the availability or scarcity of cuprians in other colors. I wondered if they are likewise hard to come by and thus visible inclusions are more tolerated.

I realize my response wasn't clear. I don't think the trade refers to non blue-green cuprians as Paraiba. However, Pariaba's are cuprian torumaline with a trace of manganese. Most paraiba's are heated to elimnate the secondary colors for the neon blue and greens.

And if you aren't the type to worry about or get a certification I would still go ahead given it's a known dealer provided you truly LOVE the stone regardless of its makeup (just keep in mind that even reputable dealers can get scammed on occasion). I generally don't bother with certificates myself unless I am unsure of the seller and it's over a certain $ threshold.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, not in CO. I’m in Atlanta. If you’re looking for a ruby like the one I picked up, he has one more that is almost it’s twin and it was pretty reasonable (~$5/ct).

Thanks. We had a gem/mineral show here this weekend, which was why I wondered. :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly for that price and size, considering how much you seem to love it I'd just buy it and wear it.

You can't take it with you right at the end, you can only enjoy it now. It also sounds like you have confidence in the dealer. You know what you're doing, you even walked away for a bit. Go for it if you love it.

Keep us updated.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock

Wait wait whaaaaat? Where in ATL and when?? I can’t believe I missed this!!! :(

AV_

Ideal_Rock
YES to the pink tourmaline.

One of the labs may determine if it has been heated and if there is Cu in it. The price is for the colour. There is a world apart of vivid tourmalines that stand out of any pile of stuff with no further recommendation.

I'd bargain a little. These things do not have a settled price.

For reference: WWW - comparable weight, fine pink - if a very different shade of pink.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to go back to visit the Mozambique tourmaline ring again. No certification, the dealer bought the rough more than a decade ago and had it cut. He says it’s copper/magnesium bearing. It has more inclusions in it than I like but It truly does glow. I took it into various lighting (incandescent, fluorescent, sun, shade) and it has so many personalities! I really like it but would you pull the trigger without a cert?
C333D418-D330-40B5-A421-CE665A36E098.jpeg

I would if I trusted the vendor. Make sure there's an agreement that you'll get a refund if a lab determines it's something else (synthetic, etc). I used to say I would only buy w a cert, but the spinel I just got didn't have one, and I spent a long time stressing about it. Now that I have it, I'm too happy to care. I'm sure that at some point I'll get a brief on it, but don't want to part with it yet. So I think if you love it, buy it!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he’s a dealer and your jeweller has known him for 20 years, it’s not going to be a synthetic and even if it doesnt have copper in it, in that colour and size, I’d be whipping out that $2,500 in a heartbeat and sticking it on my finger.
Go for it.
Then when you tire of it put it up on Loupe Troop and I’ll be there :appl: - along with others I’m sure :love:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Wait wait whaaaaat? Where in ATL and when?? I can’t believe I missed this!!! :(

Oh my goodness I am so thrilled there is another PSer in Atlanta. I couldn’t imagine being the only one but I’ve been on this board for far too long and you’re the first one who’s popped up in front of me!

The show was at the Cobb civic center. It’s put on by the Atlanta gem and mineral society and happens twice a year just before Thanksgiving and then again before Mother’s Day. It’s about half jewelry and half rocks and minerals including fossils and meteorites etc. there are really only two jewelry vendors I go there to see and both great! My kids love going because of the classes and the hands-on activities and dinosaur Bones lol. What part of Atlanta are you in? I am in Brookhaven.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is such a cool star ruby!! The purple cuprian is gorgeous.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness I am so thrilled there is another PSer in Atlanta. I couldn’t imagine being the only one but I’ve been on this board for far too long and you’re the first one who’s popped up in front of me!

The show was at the Cobb civic center. It’s put on by the Atlanta gem and mineral society and happens twice a year just before Thanksgiving and then again before Mother’s Day. It’s about half jewelry and half rocks and minerals including fossils and meteorites etc. there are really only two jewelry vendors I go there to see and both great! My kids love going because of the classes and the hands-on activities and dinosaur Bones lol. What part of Atlanta are you in? I am in Brookhaven.

Holy moly. I totally forgot this show existed. We went once, a very long time ago before I knew anything about gems (still pretty clueless, if I’m honest) and I bought a giant lump of rose quartz which is still sitting on our coffee table...because I have no idea what to do with it :eek2:

I’m in Marietta! This thing was totally in my backyard lol. I’m so excited to meet another Atlanta PSer too! Maybe next year we can meet up there (and I’ll bring my son, he’ll be over the moon at all the things to see!!)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you had fun and took photos for us!

VERY nice sapphire, congrats! Good luck making up your mind about the other ring. I TOTALLY understand not wanting to miss the HG stone but this stone is right there in front of you and you will miss it if you don't buy it. HTH

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your star ruby will make a great pendant :)

That tourmaline is incredible, I've never seen one that shade of purple! Since you know the vendor is legit, I'd get it if I could afford it. Even if it didn't test as cuprian, it must be worth at least 2.5K.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results