shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this sapphire ring?

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Hi I'm thinking about buying this pink sapphire ring. I've always admired this style. The seller said that it is unheated, 3.51 carats, and has no visible inclusions or dark spots. He has provided me videos of the ring in different lighting situations. The only thing is that the sapphire only has an Emteem Gem lab report from a Sri Lanka lab, and he has provided me with the report ID. Is anyone familiar with this lab? The seller said that I could send the ring to GIA or AGL to get a lab report and if it doesn't come back as a sapphire or unheated then he would allow a refund. I have posted pics and videos. Do you see any inclusions/silkiness? Please let me know if you see something that I should be concerned about!

Videos:

icm_fullxfull.178637808_8zup4r9yde04wkow4osc.jpg
icm_fullxfull.178637816_l9q9aimofpwssw48gkws.jpg icm_fullxfull.182866663_173hfoq1n23kck0s4wwg.jpg

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Well I found some more pics of the ring, and there seems to be some inclusions, perhaps even surface level. img_2976.jpg img_2983.jpg img_2973.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like the colour?

It seems a bit light to me but if you like light pink it might be a good choice for you.

I can see some bubbly inclusions in the second last pics you posted but the photos are very blown up so maybe not that bad in real life?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, hopefully they will come along and provide their insight on this ring.

However, my first reaction is a no no due to the colour, as it is too pale for my liking.

If I were to get a pink Sapphire, I would like a neon pink one myself.

Colour preferences are very personal, of course.

And I have not heard of the lab mentioned.

Based on the photos, the stone looked clean, with no obvious window.

Not sure about the setting, as it looked a bit wonky in parts, and I am not a fan of prongs and claws (again, that is personal preferences).

I personally would pass.

DK

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Do you like the colour?

It seems a bit light to me but if you like light pink it might be a good choice for you.

I can see some bubbly inclusions in the second last pics you posted but the photos are very blown up so maybe not that bad in real life?

I like the light pink color. I like pastels with less saturation. I'm just trying to figure out the quality of the stone when it comes to inclusions and darks pots because I have no clue about those types of structural issues.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert, hopefully they will come along and provide their insight on this ring.

However, my first reaction is a no no due to the colour, as it is too pale for my liking.

If I were to get a pink Sapphire, I would like a neon pink one myself.

Colour preferences are very personal, of course.

And I have not heard of the lab mentioned.

Based on the photos, the stone looked clean, with no obvious window.

Not sure about the setting, as it looked a bit wonky in parts, and I am not a fan of prongs and claws (again, that is personal preferences).

I personally would pass.

DK

LOL I think we're opposites when it comes to color. I would not want a neon pink sapphire. That would be a shock to my system haha yeah the setting is handmade in Sri Lanka so probably not the best quality. The rink is listed for $2.5k so trying to see if this is a good deal or not.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty. What carat gold and are the other stones diamonds?
$2,500 sounds very reasonable for a 3 carat unheated sapphire even if the tone is very light (pale pink is not as expensive). That with a 14kt (or higher) gold setting and 12 diamonds (have to be more than 1 carats worth) seems a good price.
You should expect to see some sort of inclusions or silk in an unheated sapphire, Mother Nature tends not to produce “perfect” crystals and it’s one way of being more sure it’s natural and not man made.
Sapphires are commonly heated to improve clarity. This in itself isn’t a problem. The potential problems are that sometimes, along with heat, beryllium diffusion is used (enhances colour) or flux filling is used (seals up any surface cracks) - these types of treated sapphires are NOT what you want to be buying.
The inclusions look like feathers, healed by nature “fingerprints”. Feather inclusions are usually only of concern if they are surface reaching as then they can affect the crystal integrity. These can usually be seen with a Loupe by looking at each facet with reflected light for “tiny squiggly lines” on the surface.
With that gem you should consider would instructing any jeweller working on the ring ie resizing, that if they are using a butane jeweller torch, please unset the sapphire prior to work. Its rare but is possible that the crystal inclusions expand when subjected to high heat and this could crack the stone.
As with all online purchases, make sure there is a return period where you get a full refund if the ring doesn’t meet with your expectations.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
It’s very pretty. What carat gold and are the other stones diamonds?
$2,500 sounds very reasonable for a 3 carat unheated sapphire even if the tone is very light (pale pink is not as expensive). That with a 14kt (or higher) gold setting and 12 diamonds (have to be more than 1 carats worth) seems a good price.
You should expect to see some sort of inclusions or silk in an unheated sapphire, Mother Nature tends not to produce “perfect” crystals and it’s one way of being more sure it’s natural and not man made.
Sapphires are commonly heated to improve clarity. This in itself isn’t a problem. The potential problems are that sometimes, along with heat, beryllium diffusion is used (enhances colour) or flux filling is used (seals up any surface cracks) - these types of treated sapphires are NOT what you want to be buying.
The inclusions look like feathers, healed by nature “fingerprints”. Feather inclusions are usually only of concern if they are surface reaching as then they can affect the crystal integrity. These can usually be seen with a Loupe by looking at each facet with reflected light for “tiny squiggly lines” on the surface.
With that gem you should consider would instructing any jeweller working on the ring ie resizing, that if they are using a butane jeweller torch, please unset the sapphire prior to work. Its rare but is possible that the crystal inclusions expand when subjected to high heat and this could crack the stone.
As with all online purchases, make sure there is a return period where you get a full refund if the ring doesn’t meet with your expectations.

Thanks for the info on inclusions! It's 14k rose gold and the other stones are diamonds SI clarity I believe. The ring is my size so that's why I am really intrigued by it. I guess I should do another search for light pink sapphires to compare costs, but I didn't have much luck a few weeks ago. The vendors recommended here don't seem to carry that color probably because of the lack of desire for a light sapphire.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. What is the return policy? Is there a restocking fee?

2. How will you insure when you mail the ring back? How much will that cost?

3. It will be your responsibility if something happens to the stone during the entire time it’s out of your hands to the lab and back. It means you accept this risk of damage, loss, theft, etc.

I like the colour and setting but I see many white or clear straight lines going across the stone. Can’t tell how deep they are or even what they are. I’m going to presume inclusions that don’t break the surface.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a reputable lab report- and given that you cannot determine if the inclusions are surface reaching I would pass on this ring. Ideally the ring would have a reputable lab report from the seller and a good return policy.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I'll drive by this then. At least I know what my heart wants now :(

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking it's quite lovely. I am very biased however to the fancy colored sapphires and a halo (see my avatar:lol:). I was going to say that as long as the inclusions aren't surface reaching, and the vendor will accept a return if the report doesn't jive, I would go for it. I like the inclusions I can see in my sapphire under certain lighting because it proves she's a natural beauty. I don't find the inclusions in this sapphire off putting at all (unless again, they reach the surface).

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
I was thinking it's quite lovely. I am very biased however to the fancy colored sapphires and a halo (see my avatar:lol:). I was going to say that as long as the inclusions aren't surface reaching, and the vendor will accept a return if the report doesn't jive, I would go for it. I like the inclusions I can see in my sapphire under certain lighting because it proves she's a natural beauty. I don't find the inclusions in this sapphire off putting at all (unless again, they reach the surface).

Thanks! I adore your new ring! Now I’m back to square one haha the Etsy vendor does accept returns within 30 days and if the Gia/AGL report doesn’t confirm what he’s listed. He stated that he cut the rough for this ring himself so definitely a native cut. He doesn’t have many reviews on Etsy but they’re all five stars and positive. I’m tempted to accept the risk but I’m a sucker for light pink sapphires and shiny things! I know light pink sapphires aren’t ideal but they are damn hard to find in a large size.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
So I ended up taking the risk and ordered the ring, and I am absolutely blown away! This was the exact color sapphire I was searching for after my engagement ring was stolen. Pink with flashes of orangey peach. The inclusions aren’t surface reaching at all and is the perfect level of color saturation for me. I wanted to send it to AGL but I don’t know if I can be away from the ring for a month :roll2: I may go the appraisal route just to confirm that the sapphire and diamonds are real bec I don’t really care about heat treatment, especially for the price I paid. Here are some picture using my crappy kitchen lighting.
D5854AAF-288D-4F81-B107-F2F25D0681BD.jpeg
E0EF6865-9342-472D-9C02-5DFAE7B493DC.jpeg
460D607B-EF76-45CD-B963-E1B06754C363.jpeg

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! You sound ecstatic and the color looks divine on you! If you love it, then it’s perfect for you. It looks beautiful, enjoy!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
So I ended up taking the risk and ordered the ring, and I am absolutely blown away! This was the exact color sapphire I was searching for after my engagement ring was stolen. Pink with flashes of orangey peach. The inclusions aren’t surface reaching at all and is the perfect level of color saturation for me. I wanted to send it to AGL but I don’t know if I can be away from the ring for a month :roll2: I may go the appraisal route just to confirm that the sapphire and diamonds are real bec I don’t really care about heat treatment, especially for the price I paid. Here are some picture using my crappy kitchen lighting.
D5854AAF-288D-4F81-B107-F2F25D0681BD.jpeg
E0EF6865-9342-472D-9C02-5DFAE7B493DC.jpeg
460D607B-EF76-45CD-B963-E1B06754C363.jpeg

So happy for you that you found The One and that it fills the shoes left behind by your original e-ring! Honestly, if you don’t care about treatments and don’t intend to sell it down the road, I don’t think you really need to send it for an AGL. Your idea of getting an appraisal sounds good enough to me.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
So happy for you that you found The One and that it fills the shoes left behind by your original e-ring! Honestly, if you don’t care about treatments and don’t intend to sell it down the road, I don’t think you really need to send it for an AGL. Your idea of getting an appraisal sounds good enough to me.

Thank you for the kind words!! This ring is definitely like a salve for me after my engagement ring was stolen. It’s crazy how such a small, material object can come to represent such a large emotional piece of you.

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Who is the vendor? How large is the sapphire/the side stones? I'd love a ring like this! I think the proportions are just perfect on your finger, congrats!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, I'm glad you love it! The color is great !

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring! It's very feminine and I love a sapphire surrounded by diamonds like that.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Who is the vendor? How large is the sapphire/the side stones? I'd love a ring like this! I think the proportions are just perfect on your finger, congrats!

The sapphire is 3.51 carats around 10x8.6mm and the diamonds amount to 110 points? A little over a carat I believe. The vendor is relatively new to Etsy, and they’re stock isn’t that great. I will post to vendor once I have the ring appraised bec I would feel terrible for recommending someone if something bad is revealed.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness that suits you PERFECTLY! Honestly the ring is SOOOOO beautiful and uber attractive on your fingers!

Congrats!!!!!!!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that shade of pink!! The ring looks so pretty on you! I think the natural inclusions add to its beauty. You got a deal on that—what a great find!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty glow and I love how it plays off your nail polish!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! Pinkalicious:kiss2: and I love that setting. Feminine elegant and oh so pretty.:love: LOVE.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
;I think it looks very pretty on you, and I love your nail Polish to match!

I personally would get an AGL report because despite it being natural, it could be diffused, rendering it very low in value. Not all appraisers have the equipment to detect diffusion. Padparadchas are notorious for being “ Frankengems” and undergoing not just any and all kinds of treatment, but they’re commonly synthetic as well.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't believe I've ever seen this before, in real life and in photos, a stone looking far better than in the vendor photos!

Well done @Misscaliente08 !!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results