shape
carat
color
clarity

Disco effect

Junc80

Rough_Rock
Hello,

A friend of mine with a GIA triple x, D Vvs1 stone with strong fluorescence says her stone has a "disco" effect where small lights will be reflecting on the face of the person looking at the diamond. She wonders if that's something to worry about or is telling of the diamonds quality. Anyone know anything about this?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s what diamonds and probably moissainte do.

It’s called “prism effect”

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

A friend of mine with a GIA triple x, D Vvs1 stone with strong fluorescence says her stone has a "disco" effect where small lights will be reflecting on the face of the person looking at the diamond. She wonders if that's something to worry about or is telling of the diamonds quality. Anyone know anything about this?

This happens every time I drive around in a car with my ring. Perfectly expected and very enjoyable.

Junc80

Rough_Rock
Thank you, this is very helpful!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The diamond's external facets will create a series of internal reflections that are called virtual facets. The virtual facets can act as a window (letting the light through, seen as darkness), reflect the light (seen as brightness) or disperse the light (seen as a rainbow of colors, or spectral fan). While looking directly at the diamond the width of the reflection or dispersion will determine how the viewer sees the colors (or brightness), but the dispersion of the light can also be seen against a surface.

You are seeing the effects of the dispersion (or reflection) of light reacting to the virtual facets created within the diamond. Perfectly normal and, to many people, highly desirable.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The fluorescence of a diamond will show under UV disco lights. The reflections are what diamonds do. In sunlight it is significant and normal and the light will break into multicolr rays

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes aim the beam of light from my ring into people’s eyes on the bus (not the driver). It’s better than when people’s phones reflect the sun into our eyes and way more fun.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It will happens even if you just stay in the sun

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results