shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm heading to Phoenix to be with friends. It's a tradition that started in 1999 and I've never missed a year! I also always manage to sneak in a little shopping between the eating and drinking and hiking and drinking... :cheeky:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll be going out for dinner. I'll be working part of the day (which is normal :roll2:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I'm only not having the same issues (note the difference between 8 and 22 at dinner...) because Grandma is in charge of inviting people and I just cook. I've had the same feelings you are towards a few "family friends" who are dramatic, rude, and just unpleasant to be around but can shove them aside because I don't make that decision. I wish I could say what I would do if I had to choose!

How would your mom feel if the friend isn't invited?
Would that feeling make the day stressful and hard?
Would your mom be understanding?

Hi @TooPatient first of all wow! I love your thanksgiving menu. :lickout:

Second of all thanks for your thoughtful questions.

My mom asked today if she could host Thanksgiving and honestly I am considering it. Greg loves cooking and we love hosting but it is super stressful especially now with all that is going on. So while I hate relinquishing our Thanksgiving hosting perhaps it would work out for all involved this year. My mom can invite her friend S and we don't have all the prep and cleaning etc to do. Greg still wants to cook since my mom will not be making gluten free food I am sure. But I am thinking it is perhaps the best solution.

Not sure yet as all this happened last night when she first asked me if we would invite S and it was late for me and I was tired and had another early AM appointment today. This morning she texted us asking how would we feel if she hosted so we are thinking about it.

She will stress me about what I can eat by her though that I know so lol I cannot win.:lol:
Family... gotta love them.:lol-2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's our first year in our new home so I'll be hosting Thanksgiving for the first time!! I'm excited but admittedly super nervous. Not sure how many people yet but somewhere between 7-13 so I'm thankful that it's not a ton!

Menu is going to consist of turkey, stuffing, homemade mashed potatoes, gravy, rice w/ pigeon peas (a staple in our culture so no event happens without it), homemade cranberry sauce, maple bacon brussel sprouts, honey butter glazed carrots and I'm debating if I should also make a mac and cheese but not sure. :mrgreen2:

I hope it turns out alright!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's our first year in our new home so I'll be hosting Thanksgiving for the first time!! I'm excited but admittedly super nervous. Not sure how many people yet but somewhere between 7-13 so I'm thankful that it's not a ton!

Menu is going to consist of turkey, stuffing, homemade mashed potatoes, gravy, rice w/ pigeon peas (a staple in our culture so no event happens without it), homemade cranberry sauce, maple bacon brussel sprouts, honey butter glazed carrots and I'm debating if I should also make a mac and cheese but not sure. :mrgreen2:

I hope it turns out alright!

Yummm!!! And I am sure it will turn out wonderfully @ac117 . In your new home surrounded by the people you love who love you. Congrats on your first thanksgiving in your new home. It's all good!:appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummm!!! And I am sure it will turn out wonderfully @ac117 . In your new home surrounded by the people you love who love you. Congrats on your first thanksgiving in your new home. It's all good!:appl:

Thank you!! =)2

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally I head over to LA to be with my god-kids, their dad, and my best girlfriend's husband (she's in Australia, he's in LA, and so far no luck on either getting a permanent visa!)

This year, tho, my god-son is coming to me, and he'll be having Thanksgiving with us. It will be a very simple menu, as it seems silly to go all our for just 3 of us. So I'm doing turkey breast, bacon and pine nut stuffing, horseradish mashed potatoes alongside mashed cinnamon pumpkin, brussel sprouts with bacon, onion and pine nuts, roasted carrots, parsnip and onions, and broccoli and cauliflower with a white cheese sauce. For dessert we're having apple pie with custard and ice cream. Add bread, wine, and coffee at the end and it should be lovely. :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m cooking. I make a very basic thanksgiving meal..nothing out of the ordinary except for the fact that I have to make the biggest turkey I can find for my son. After thanksgiving, he wants to live on turkey, cranberry, and stuffing sandwiches for as long as humanly possible.

I buy four turkeys each year. One for thanksgiving, one for Christmas, one for smoking at some point, and one to bbq in June. For the smoked and bbq’d turkeys I make experimental side dishes that I wouldn’t normally make on thanksgiving. I have a lot of fun with theses meals.
Too funny..My husband is like that..He could live on Turkey forever. I would buy 22 pound turkey for four people..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I buy it frozen from Trader Joes or Costco, lol. Would prefer rice or mashed potatoes but am diabetic.
Oooooh buying it already made sounds good to me! I was just at Costco today too!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Normally I head over to LA to be with my god-kids, their dad, and my best girlfriend's husband (she's in Australia, he's in LA, and so far no luck on either getting a permanent visa!)

This year, tho, my god-son is coming to me, and he'll be having Thanksgiving with us. It will be a very simple menu, as it seems silly to go all our for just 3 of us. So I'm doing turkey breast, bacon and pine nut stuffing, horseradish mashed potatoes alongside mashed cinnamon pumpkin, brussel sprouts with bacon, onion and pine nuts, roasted carrots, parsnip and onions, and broccoli and cauliflower with a white cheese sauce. For dessert we're having apple pie with custard and ice cream. Add bread, wine, and coffee at the end and it should be lovely. :)
Your menu sounds delish! Yummmm!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm heading to Phoenix to be with friends. It's a tradition that started in 1999 and I've never missed a year! I also always manage to sneak in a little shopping between the eating and drinking and hiking and drinking... :cheeky:
It sounds like fun! I always sneak in shopping whenever I can. Friends and Thanksgiving sounds perfect..stress free!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We'll be going out for dinner. I'll be working part of the day (which is normal :roll2:)
Yay for eating out! Sorry you have to work at all..:(2

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am cooking for my hubby and 2 of my sons. Then I will have my mom, sister, and out of town brother on Saturday for dessert.

I've paired down the food as we have all decided we want to eat more of just a few good things. So turkey, dressing, coleslaw, home made cranberry sauce, scalloped oysters and probably green beans because I can make those the day before.

A local meat market ran a deal this year. Buy an all natural Amish turkey, and the market would donate one of same size to a needy family. I thought that was a neat idea so I went for it. It ended up being a lil pricey. Ok, a lot. :lol-2: But, it's still worth it. ::) Not telling my family, will see if they can tell a difference.

I hope everyone has a beautiful day. We really all have SO much to be thankful for.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please let me know how the Amish turkey was. We have a lot of Amish places near here where I can get one next year. I bought a fresh turkey from Whole Foods last year and we weren’t happy with it..Did I mention I’m not cooking this year!?! :appl:

I like that you basically bought the turkey for another family. That’s probably why it was so expensive. We are so lucky and feel we should be helping people that don’t have as much if we can.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please let me know how the Amish turkey was. We have a lot of Amish places near here where I can get one next year. I bought a fresh turkey from Whole Foods last year and we weren’t happy with it..Did I mention I’m not cooking this year!?! :appl:

I like that you basically bought the turkey for another family. That’s probably why it was so expensive. We are so lucky and feel we should be helping people that don’t have as much if we can.
I'm sure that was part of it, plus everything natural/organic is more expensive. Which honestly makes no sense, since it costs less to raise/grow etc. lol

I hope you truly enjoy your day off! I went on strike a couple yeas ago and made us go out to eat. No one liked it. Not the food, not the "no hominess feel". :devil: Ah well, at least I like to cook.

I will definitely let you know. If I don't get back to you in a timely manner, jog me up!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sure that was part of it, plus everything natural/organic is more expensive. Which honestly makes no sense, since it costs less to raise/grow etc. lol

I hope you truly enjoy your day off! I went on strike a couple yeas ago and made us go out to eat. No one liked it. Not the food, not the "no hominess feel". :devil: Ah well, at least I like to cook.

I will definitely let you know. If I don't get back to you in a timely manner, jog me up!
Haha! I think the glass of wine with dinner will make it taste great! I like the atmosphere where we’re going..more than the food..

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My house has opted for no-Thanksgiving as of last year, choosing to travel overseas instead. But this year, it's more intentional. As I keep learning about the colonizers raping and killing the native americans, I am realizing Thanksgiving is really just a celebration of genocide and I want no part in it.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cleaning the house, shopping for the meal, preparing the meal, serving the meal, cleaning up after the meal.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cleaning the house, shopping for the meal, preparing the meal, serving the meal, cleaning up after the meal.
Exactly :lol: I really do enjoy making and serving the meal..but the cleanup is a bear..

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am going next door to my aunt's home. My mother's family get's together for the holidays and we are expecting approximately 49 people for lunch and slightly less for dinner. Everyone brings covered dishes or desserts and we never run out of food throughout the day. After the food we will have a homemade Christmas ornament exchange and some crafting.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tailgating and then going to the Saints game! Saints vs. Falcons, 7 pm.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always cook, this year it's 7 adults and one 3 year old. I have a 23lb turkey, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, rutabega, green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls, gravy, I may make creamed onions, husband loves them, fudge, chocolate chip cookies, guacamole, home made salsa, white queso, ham rollups, onion dip, chips, hot artichoke dip with crackers, assorted cheeses. My DIL is pregnant and wants ham so I have a small ham, we will make thanksgiving sugar cookies with the 3 year old on wed., and I am making 2 pumpkin pies, a lot lot of work, but I love it! We are eating dinner on Wednesday and leftovers on Thursday, my older son wanted it that way because they are here a short time and he loves turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There will be at 16 or 17 of us this year. We will have turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green beans, rolls, pumpkin and apple pies, and probably 6 appetizers before dinner. Everyone brings something so it’s pretty easy. So much to be thankful for with two little ones on the way early next year and Spring. I’m thrilled for my nieces and their husbands.

@Tekate, I am craving chips, salsa and guacamole right now..... and fudge!!! Congratulations on a new baby joining your family next year. You can never have too many little ones to spoil.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always cook, this year it's 7 adults and one 3 year old. I have a 23lb turkey, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, rutabega, green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls, gravy, I may make creamed onions, husband loves them, fudge, chocolate chip cookies, guacamole, home made salsa, white queso, ham rollups, onion dip, chips, hot artichoke dip with crackers, assorted cheeses. My DIL is pregnant and wants ham so I have a small ham, we will make thanksgiving sugar cookies with the 3 year old on wed., and I am making 2 pumpkin pies, a lot lot of work, but I love it! We are eating dinner on Wednesday and leftovers on Thursday, my older son wanted it that way because they are here a short time and he loves turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy.
That's a lot of food lady, you have my admiration! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yummmm! :lickout: I wanna come over to your house @Tekate :appl:What a delicious feast and all prepared with love. That's the ingredient that makes food taste scrumptious indeed. Hope you have a wonderful warm loving delicious Thanksgiving.
chowtimeguy.gif
biggyhug.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There will be at 16 or 17 of us this year. We will have turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green beans, rolls, pumpkin and apple pies, and probably 6 appetizers before dinner. Everyone brings something so it’s pretty easy. So much to be thankful for with two little ones on the way early next year and Spring. I’m thrilled for my nieces and their husbands.
CC, what time can I be over? :whistle::lickout:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend and I eat Costco pumpkin pie and cool whip from the time it comes out in September until we pop! The best ever!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi @TooPatient first of all wow! I love your thanksgiving menu. :lickout:

Second of all thanks for your thoughtful questions.

My mom asked today if she could host Thanksgiving and honestly I am considering it. Greg loves cooking and we love hosting but it is super stressful especially now with all that is going on. So while I hate relinquishing our Thanksgiving hosting perhaps it would work out for all involved this year. My mom can invite her friend S and we don't have all the prep and cleaning etc to do. Greg still wants to cook since my mom will not be making gluten free food I am sure. But I am thinking it is perhaps the best solution.

Not sure yet as all this happened last night when she first asked me if we would invite S and it was late for me and I was tired and had another early AM appointment today. This morning she texted us asking how would we feel if she hosted so we are thinking about it.

She will stress me about what I can eat by her though that I know so lol I cannot win.:lol:
Family... gotta love them.:lol-2:
What did you decide to do @missy ?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter-in-law called me over the weekend asking if we could start a new tradition on the Saturday after Thanksgiving because we don’t see them on Thanksgiving! She gave it a funny name....Welcometaking hahaha..It will be a gathering of us with a mishmoch (sp?) of food..no turkey. They’re going to do it at their house only because my wacky dog would knock my grandson over..and that wasn’t her worry..only mine. I’m going to make my stuffed artichokes and probably my baked Italian meatballs in sauce..(I’m very fair but 100% Italian :roll2:) and I don’t know what she’s making..I’m so excited she wants to do this!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you decide to do @missy ?

We decided to let my mom host Thanksgiving this year and hoping it is a win for everyone. Greg gets time off from being the chef after more than 15 years of hosting the holiday and doing all the cooking and baking which always takes him 2 full days (though he will still be making a few dishes yummm apple pie, pumpkin pie and stuffing:lickout:) and my mom loves hosting so everyone gets what they want. Ironically I am not sure if she is inviting her friend S or not but since it is on her turf it is up to her. Pressure is off us and that's a bonus.

Plus not cleaning up beforehand or after well I am pretty pleased too. As much as I love hosting I always seem to forget how exhausting it is and how happy I am when the day is over and everyone has gone home. And how achey I am for a day or two after the holiday from being on my feet much of the time and running around. LOL. Don't get me wrong I love Thanksgiving but it's a lot of work and this year it is a welcome change. We are just going to be guests and not running around like chickens (or as the case may be turkeys) without heads. OK that joke is in bad taste and as one who will not eat turkey or chickens I apologize. :oops2: But couldn't resist that joke.::)

My daughter-in-law called me over the weekend asking if we could start a new tradition on the Saturday after Thanksgiving because we don’t see them on Thanksgiving! She gave it a funny name....Welcometaking hahaha..It will be a gathering of us with a mishmoch (sp?) of food..no turkey. They’re going to do it at their house only because my wacky dog would knock my grandson over..and that wasn’t her worry..only mine. I’m going to make my stuffed artichokes and probably my baked Italian meatballs in sauce..(I’m very fair but 100% Italian :roll2:) and I don’t know what she’s making..I’m so excited she wants to do this!

What a wonderful new tradition to start. Sounds like all the fun without the stress Thanksgiving can often bring and what a great way to enjoy leftovers. Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results