carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh...

I'd do diamonds - like these WWW & a white star like yours - if it exists!

(off to luch)
Definitely diamonds! No other colored stones...just the lines and concept as inspiration. Wow! Those are fantastic... thank you for the link!

I have not been able to find a larger clear/white star again. But am always keeping my eyes open.

Reactions: AV_

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh...

I'd do diamonds - like these WWW & a white star like yours - if it exists!

(off to luch)
Now I’m imagining this combo which you suggested. Would be absolutely magic! A true ice ring with so much mystery!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C4DDF3D5-D8DC-4894-A655-630291D6FFC8.jpeg A7970C7B-B60C-4384-9B43-4B7951254D4C.jpeg
Actually, I did find this vintage one. Seller states that it’s a synthetic, but based on the 12 Ray pattern, and how the legs are...and the fact that I have not seen any other synthetic clear ones from the 1960’s-1970’s, I personally suspect it may actually be natural. I know now, clear ones are made, along with many other shades. But I’ve not ever seen a 12 ray synthetic with those legs ....hmm. I could be wrong of course.
Anyway, it’s very perfect, which may be why they think it’s synthetic, OR because it is synthetic. Something like this could make a beautiful ring reset with diamonds!

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it’s a star quartz....because it has such a softness about it, and very slight pink, though a 12 ray star quartz is a relative rarity.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it’s a star quartz

I do not quite wish to know what YF might sell that sort of suite for; then, a little colourless star cab will stop making sense :sleep:

Digressing...

I rather love rock crystal - the colourless, white, anything faint violet to deep purple - rather unreasonably so. The tradition of these has its pull, and the water-like look that comes from allot of mass.

More digression...

Speaking of white jewels: Iwish this were one! www (I am new-ish to Instagram & delighted)...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not quite wish to know what YF might sell that sort of suite for; then, a little colourless star cab will stop making sense :sleep:

Digressing...

I rather love rock crystal - the colourless, white, anything faint violet to deep purple - rather unreasonably so. The tradition of these has its pull, and the water-like look that comes from allot of mass.

More digression...

Speaking of white jewels: Iwish this were one! www (I am new-ish to Instagram & delighted)...
These are so amazing! That brooch is such a beauty!! And also, the clear volume of rock crystal is such a fabulous way to make dreamy worlds without adding more metal.

hollandaisey

Rough_Rock
0E7FE6C0-ACB8-4583-913D-C5541C2BDA54.png F550E1FB-082A-4F0E-94E1-10CF618072B8.png These are all SO beautiful. There’s certainly a mystic kind of quality to them... I’m seeing that a lot of buying a star sapphire is what personally attracts you. I’m falling for this little beauty as a right hand ring : https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/0.63ct-pink-sapphire-ring-j3160-/
But I don’t know if the price is fair or the company is one I can trust! I’m new to much of this jewelry buying lol. I’m also really attracted to the way it mimics vintage men’s rings and would like to embrace that at some point by adding small side stones, like these examples, but would it be a possibility to buy this ring and have them added later? Or maybe just go custom from the beginning? I’m lost and appreciate any and all advice!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0E7FE6C0-ACB8-4583-913D-C5541C2BDA54.png F550E1FB-082A-4F0E-94E1-10CF618072B8.png These are all SO beautiful. There’s certainly a mystic kind of quality to them... I’m seeing that a lot of buying a star sapphire is what personally attracts you. I’m falling for this little beauty as a right hand ring : https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/0.63ct-pink-sapphire-ring-j3160-/
But I don’t know if the price is fair or the company is one I can trust! I’m new to much of this jewelry buying lol. I’m also really attracted to the way it mimics vintage men’s rings and would like to embrace that at some point by adding small side stones, like these examples, but would it be a possibility to buy this ring and have them added later? Or maybe just go custom from the beginning? I’m lost and appreciate any and all advice!!
I’m so glad that we have another star lover! You are right, they DO embody mysticism in a way which is incomparable to other gems in my opinion.
Regarding the natural sapphire co ring....I don’t think it would be hard to recreate this with sidestones for an equal or lesser price. If you are looking for a small pink star, those can be found without too much trouble.

My personal experience with the NSC is that they tend to be overpriced, and the pictures were exaggerated in my experience ( I bought a pair of light blue star sapphire earrings more than a decade ago. )

There is no one right way to proceed with jewelry, but If I personally were in your shoes, I would look at individual stones and also vintage/antique styles for inspiration. The stone is the main focus, and so therefore, you should be totally in love with the wholeness of the star itself as the origin and inspiration for the rest of the ring. The Art Deco era styles did great justice to star sapphires, as did some mid century styles. Today, they are rarely used because of relative rarity, much more rare than others stones which designers can count on in mass production. But, there are a few amazing modern examples.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F80B86FD-82AF-4B1C-B3A1-8D4570AA68B8.jpeg 69298EF7-0B51-46F2-90D1-1AD552876A0D.jpeg
I completely agree, star love is a matter of personal attraction and individualism, much the way mysticism is personal.
Here is an inexpensive star “ruby” ring which I found, which is just so metallic and lovely.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the best way to tell a real, natural star from a lab created star stone is that in a real stone the star moves around depending upon the direction of the light source. Your two photos above look like a perfect example of a real star.

On the other hand, I understand that in a lab created stone, the position of the star always stays in the same place, usually in the center of the stone.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys I found this from a seller @peacechick linked in another thread

https://www.etsy.com/listing/641640...ne-blue-star-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active_20

Why is it so cheap? I am really curious!

She declares if other items have been treated so it's weird this one is untreated and so cheap.
My guess is that it’s a natural sapphire with a titanium star heated onto it. It also could be natural asterism. That color, opacity, and weak star strength greatly reduce value so as to be quite affordable. AJS gems has some inexpensive, untreated similar stars...
2BBFAB6F-0241-4CCE-82B0-E7C8244584E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the best way to tell a real, natural star from a lab created star stone is that in a real stone the star moves around depending upon the direction of the light source. Your two photos above look like a perfect example of a real star.

On the other hand, I understand that in a lab created stone, the position of the star always stays in the same place, usually in the center of the stone.
Some fake stars have a static star, but most lab grown stars have asterism which moves. Even titanium diffused stars move. (which are corundum with titanium heated onto the surface to make a star ). The one above is definitely a natural star, very “low grade” but still gorgeous. It still could possibly be glass filled, which is a modern way of filling fractures. I doubt it though because of the color. You are right though, that all natural stars have asterism which moves. How much it moves and the thickness of rays, centeredness if the star depends on cabochon cut. Too flat and the star will move all over the place, too high and it will be a small star at the top of the dome.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for answering my question @Bluegemz

So many treatments around these days! Yikes!!!!!!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Here is half of my 6 star stackers finished (:
My awesome trusty silver Smith will be sending them out shortly, he still has to finish the other three blue star sapphire stackers.

All made in sterling silver with a brushed matte finish....untreated and unheated Burmese star rubies (:
Theyre not perfect by any means but theyre my rare little babies.
Will post photos of the stars with flash or outdoors when theyre in my hands (:
They were made to stack all together all six of them.
The star rubies- all of 3 of them were actually a gift from a very lovely lapidary that ive been consistently purchasing from. Hes a great guy and sent these with my last order of my two cat eye aquamarines.
One of the photos it shows the rings with my black Australian opal. (:

Screenshot_2018-11-14-08-57-56~2.png Screenshot_2018-11-14-08-58-03~2.png Screenshot_2018-11-14-08-58-09~2.png

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is half of my 6 star stackers finished (:
My awesome trusty silver Smith will be sending them out shortly, he still has to finish the other three blue star sapphire stackers.

All made in sterling silver with a brushed matte finish....untreated and unheated Burmese star rubies (:
Theyre not perfect by any means but theyre my rare little babies.
Will post photos of the stars with flash or outdoors when theyre in my hands (:
They were made to stack all together all six of them.
The star rubies- all of 3 of them were actually a gift from a very lovely lapidary that ive been consistently purchasing from. Hes a great guy and sent these with my last order of my two cat eye aquamarines.
One of the photos it shows the rings with my black Australian opal. (:

Screenshot_2018-11-14-08-57-56~2.png Screenshot_2018-11-14-08-58-03~2.png Screenshot_2018-11-14-08-58-09~2.png
Those turned out beautifully! They are like little pomegranate seeds, such a wonderful color. And, I love the modernity of the setting. I truly am looking forward to seeing all of them together. What an awesome stacking set!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty!
Now I need to get over to the local gem and mineral shop (@Bluegemz knows the one I'm talking about!) and get some teeny stars to make stack rings! I'm inspired:dance:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty!
Now I need to get over to the local gem and mineral shop (@Bluegemz knows the one I'm talking about!) and get some teeny stars to make stack rings! I'm inspired:dance:
I know which place you are talking about! How fun...you will be able to totally rock this project stracci!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So pretty!

Thank you! Hes my go to for silver work as i truly believe that he is a master of his craft.
Here is his Instagram; he makes such solid chunky beautiful magical relics....some love that style, some dont but hes truly amazing.

Here is his Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/purifiedbill/?hl=en

Also...I'm confused? @Bluegemz You dont live in NM also do you?
Both @stracci2000 & I do (:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Oh and @stracci2000 !
Ill be going to Santa Fe for the weekend with my family. Oh how my fiance looks forward to waiting for me outside of crystal and jewelry shops. Haha
He said to me a few days ago "Last time we went to Santa Fe you spent almost three hours in that crystal shop by our hotel and didnt buy anything but you bought a ring from a lady on the street in four minutes."

So I'm excited! Its such a peaceful sleepy town to me. Also were going to see the exhibit Meow Wolf for the first time. (:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Hes my go to for silver work as i truly believe that he is a master of his craft.
Here is his Instagram; he makes such solid chunky beautiful magical relics....some love that style, some dont but hes truly amazing.

Here is his Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/purifiedbill/?hl=en

Also...I'm confused? @Bluegemz You dont live in NM also do you?
Both @stracci2000 & I do (:
I do live in NM but a Cali girl. I
Agree, I think that jeweler did a wonderful job. The work is so clean.
All this is making me so anxious for my star ruby to arrive...it was sent by Swiss post and apparently cleared customs but us customs hasn’t recieved it. I’ve heard that Swiss post can be notoriously slow, but this is rediculous. Ugh!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I do live in NM but a Cali girl. I
Agree, I think that jeweler did a wonderful job. The work is so clean.
All this is making me so anxious for my star ruby to arrive...it was sent by Swiss post and apparently cleared customs but us customs hasn’t recieved it. I’ve heard that Swiss post can be notoriously slow, but this is rediculous. Ugh!

How strange that the two people that I consider to connect with jewelry wise on this forum also live in my state! How strange!
& You can definetely feel the California in you (: Thats what I naturally felt and assumed!

I need to go back and ses pictures of your jewel! I bet its delicious!
And ugh I know waiting sucks alone, but when theres a hold up its even worse....the uncertainty stinks!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How strange that the two people that I consider to connect with jewelry wise on this forum also live in my state! How strange!
& You can definetely feel the California in you (: Thats what I naturally felt and assumed!

And ugh I know waiting sucks alone, but when theres a hold up its even worse....the uncertainty stinks!
That is really cool! You are right, the uncertainty is terrible. I might be waiting for another few weeks...I hope it is gorgeous.... but then again I’ve never seen a star that I didn’t like lol.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That is really cool! You are right, the uncertainty is terrible. I might be waiting for another few weeks...I hope it is gorgeous.... but then again I’ve never seen a star that I didn’t like lol.

What a beauty! How funny....were both on the untreated/unheated Burmese Star Ruby train (:
Except I have the grandchildren of your luscious large 5ct beauty!

Also for setting ideas when it comes to metal color, i believe that yellow gold would suite it beautifully if youre gonna keep the custom setting very classic and simple, but if its goimg to be more romantic and detailed I think platinum would be better!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty! How funny....were both on the untreated/unheated Burmese Star Ruby train (:
Except I have the grandchildren of your luscious large 5ct beauty!

Also for setting ideas when it comes to metal color, i believe that yellow gold would suite it beautifully if youre gonna keep the custom setting very classic and simple, but if its goimg to be more romantic and detailed I think platinum would be better!
You are right... We’ve definitely been on the star ruby train! I love the ones you got. Star rubies seem to be difficult to find, at least that’s been my experience thus far.

I really love the setting advise and I completely agree. I was thinking that if I do a simple setting, gold all the way. But with more elaborate settings, platinum. If the thing ever arrives. Amazing how ones imagination can run away with suspicious thoughts when something takes a long time to arrive!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So @TheGarnetGirl, you are in NM, too? I'm in Albuquerque.
There's lots of jewelry making going on in NM, I am very lucky to be here!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So @TheGarnetGirl, you are in NM, too? I'm in Albuquerque.

I was born in Albuquerque and so was my daughter (:
We live in LC now. So going to Santa Fe is a 4 hour trip!
I have a lot of family in Albuquerque and frequent the city quite often.
You'll have to give me that gemstone spot someday (;

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was born in Albuquerque and so was my daughter (:
We live in LC now. So going to Santa Fe is a 4 hour trip!
I have a lot of family in Albuquerque and frequent the city quite often.
You'll have to give me that gemstone spot someday (;
Ah, Cruces! I have a good friend who lives there. Lots of art/music going on there!
Do you and @Bluegemz know that there is an awesome (and free) Mineral Museum in Socorro, at NM Tech? A very cool place to visit, if you have time when you are heading up I-25!
https://www.facebook.com/NMBGmineralmuseum

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results