shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass Business Model?

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
Hi! Do you guys know if DK has / works his own bench at this stage in his career? I imagine he farms out his work to other benches as he’s in the jewelry mecca of dtla. If that’s the case, which projects get assigned to the refined and more high end benches? Is it just based on timing and availability?

Got my plastic model today, and really excited to see the end product! :)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know the answer to your question about benches DK utilizes. Can you model your model for us?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked DK these questions? He would seem best placed to answer, I reckon.

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
^ If only. They seem to be super busy and are not as accessible for conversations outside of the scope of your project.

Some members here seem to have long-standing relationships with him, so was hoping to get some insight.

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
Hi! Do you guys know if DK has / works his own bench at this stage in his career? I imagine he farms out his work to other benches as he’s in the jewelry mecca of dtla. If that’s the case, which projects get assigned to the refined and more high end benches? Is it just based on timing and availability?

I’m super curious too! If you find out, please come back and share. I had requested a particular bench that other PSer raved about .... but my ring has had issues after issues... milgrain problems, super long (as in close to 5 months from approval to receiving the ring) production time etc. It’s a very long story that I’m not going to get into at the moment since I don’t have my ring yet (this is after waiting months only to receive a ring I had to send back multiple times for different reasons). I think some clients with long-standing relationship with DK probably get better service because otherwise my situation is just inexplicable. I’ve refrained from saying anything online before this particular post because I don’t like leaving poor reviews and in particular, I don’t want to speak negatively of a beloved PS go-to jeweler but I’m at my wits end.

Reactions: AV_

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
@WhatAboutTheCats I’m sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience you had! QC is probably a constant challenge for them because they’re a small business that seems to manage an incredibly high volume of work due to internet popularity.

Did you post about your experience on the Bee? If so, I think I may have seen photos of your ring. Hopefully, they get it right this time around. I’m glad that they’re willing to stand behind their product.

They’ve committed to getting my ring done by thanksgiving, which gives them about a week of production time. I’m not going to lie, I’m incredibly nervous about this, but I’m going to remain optimistic.

I will say, though, the plastic model was really good. I wasn’t expecting a lot because communication from them has been very minimal, but they got it mostly spot on.

Anyway, wishing you all the very best in the final iteration of your ring! Hope you love it :)

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
Sorry, just read that you’ve never posted about your experience with DK until your post in this thread. Disregard my ? about the Bee.

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
Sorry, just read that you’ve never posted about your experience with DK until your post in this thread. Disregard my ? about the Bee.

Yes, this is the first time I've posted about this ring online (technically the 2nd post now). However I think I know which ring you're speaking of. That bee's ring is somewhat simpler than mine but also had some milgrain issue. She's also getting it re-cast, am I right?

I'm truly surprised you're promised such a fast time frame for your ring! I hope you get it by deadline and that it's perfect!

In my case, I started the design with DK in April, committed early May, and was told "it'll be done soon" for basically the next 3 months. Maybe it's because I wasn't pushy enough. I emailed him very infrequently to check on the progress. By August, I was told it'll be done in two days over and over again for the next 2 weeks. My ring required two custom cut diamonds so I can understand it taking more time. But the time frame was so incredibly long I'm truly baffled. Then they hurriedly sent me the ring late August before they sent me the video.

When I got the ring, I loved it as it was beautiful. I could tolerate the minor imperfections: the wobbly milgrain and the fact that the center wasn't set flush as I requested. But there was a huge problem I couldn't overlook: a prominent feature of the ring, the two pear diamonds, had severe light leakage that made them look like light yellow glass. The two stones were so dark and lifeless that I had to send the ring back to DK even though I had already waited months to get the completed ring. After he worked on the ring, the new pears were great but the milgrain got worse because the replaced pears were in milgrained bezels. I had already committed to living with the milgrain as is, so I happily wore the ring for 2 weeks before something else happened. The white gold and the pears turned yellow. The ring was exposed to some kind of agent during the pear replacement, which produced a yellow stain over time. DK was great because he immediately sent me a return label and said he would remove the stain and fix the milgrain. I really appreciated his willingness to make things right. When I got the ring back, I saw that the milgrain was much better but the yellow was still visible (significantly lighter than before). Furthermore, there was a gap between the prongs and the center stone. Needless to say, I've sent the ring back to him.

I previously got a quote for a recast so now it is getting recast with minor changes. I'm annoyed that I have to pay for a recast because something keeps going wrong with the ring (to be fair, I'm also adding an angle to the halo). I was inexperienced with the CAD process and thought the halo was already set on an angle due to the original inspiration picture. I wasn't planning to recast the ring for design changes until later down the road but the fact that the ring kept having issues made it necessary to recast now.

I don't know if it is sunk cost fallacy at work here but I still think/hope DK can make it right since he's made so many beautiful rings for other people. Furthermore, I've just asked him to make a matching band (this was before the ring turned yellow though...) I DO think he has a few benches and their skills vary. So sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not I guess? Perhaps exceptions are made for long-time customers. This is first world problems so I'll not complain too much. Besides, the midterm election results were a huge relief for me so ....silver lining right? ;)2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What alloy of WG are you using in the recast? Is it plated? “Yellowing” is usually due to removal/wear of the rhodium layer that most alloys of WG are plated with.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Time permitting or not - if the bench used mattered to me - I would be on the phone (politely) halting production until my expectations were met or my curiousity was satisfied.
A quote given cannot be a blanket quote to cover the ranges of benches he uses. That's the time to ask.
That said - care to share your project details?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is the first time I've posted about this ring online (technically the 2nd post now). However I think I know which ring you're speaking of. That bee's ring is somewhat simpler than mine but also had some milgrain issue. She's also getting it re-cast, am I right?

I'm truly surprised you're promised such a fast time frame for your ring! I hope you get it by deadline and that it's perfect!

In my case, I started the design with DK in April, committed early May, and was told "it'll be done soon" for basically the next 3 months. Maybe it's because I wasn't pushy enough. I emailed him very infrequently to check on the progress. By August, I was told it'll be done in two days over and over again for the next 2 weeks. My ring required two custom cut diamonds so I can understand it taking more time. But the time frame was so incredibly long I'm truly baffled. Then they hurriedly sent me the ring late August before they sent me the video.

When I got the ring, I loved it as it was beautiful. I could tolerate the minor imperfections: the wobbly milgrain and the fact that the center wasn't set flush as I requested. But there was a huge problem I couldn't overlook: a prominent feature of the ring, the two pear diamonds, had severe light leakage that made them look like light yellow glass. The two stones were so dark and lifeless that I had to send the ring back to DK even though I had already waited months to get the completed ring. After he worked on the ring, the new pears were great but the milgrain got worse because the replaced pears were in milgrained bezels. I had already committed to living with the milgrain as is, so I happily wore the ring for 2 weeks before something else happened. The white gold and the pears turned yellow. The ring was exposed to some kind of agent during the pear replacement, which produced a yellow stain over time. DK was great because he immediately sent me a return label and said he would remove the stain and fix the milgrain. I really appreciated his willingness to make things right. When I got the ring back, I saw that the milgrain was much better but the yellow was still visible (significantly lighter than before). Furthermore, there was a gap between the prongs and the center stone. Needless to say, I've sent the ring back to him.

I previously got a quote for a recast so now it is getting recast with minor changes. I'm annoyed that I have to pay for a recast because something keeps going wrong with the ring (to be fair, I'm also adding an angle to the halo). I was inexperienced with the CAD process and thought the halo was already set on an angle due to the original inspiration picture. I wasn't planning to recast the ring for design changes until later down the road but the fact that the ring kept having issues made it necessary to recast now.

I don't know if it is sunk cost fallacy at work here but I still think/hope DK can make it right since he's made so many beautiful rings for other people. Furthermore, I've just asked him to make a matching band (this was before the ring turned yellow though...) I DO think he has a few benches and their skills vary. So sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not I guess? Perhaps exceptions are made for long-time customers. This is first world problems so I'll not complain too much. Besides, the midterm election results were a huge relief for me so ....silver lining right? ;)2

Do you have photos of the ring while you had it at different times, to show the issues?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
What alloy of WG are you using in the recast? Is it plated? “Yellowing” is usually due to removal/wear of the rhodium layer that most alloys of WG are plated with.

I presume the same alloy as previous. DK used non-rhodium plated white gold that will never turn yellow. At least that’s what he told me. I wonder if it’s stuller’s x1.....? All I know is that DK said the ring wasn’t rhodium plated and will never turn yellow. Supposedly it turned yellow due to exposure to some other agent during the work process (flax solution)

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
Do you have photos of the ring while you had it at different times, to show the issues?

Yes, because I needed to share the pictures with DK to show him the problems. But like I said, I haven’t shared the pics online. I’m very much hoping DK will make things right with the ring. I wasn’t even planning to post about my ring’s endless issues until OP asked about DK using different benches. And to be honest, by now, I’m exhausted by the wait. But I’m threadjacking. To bring the topic back on point, I had originally requested the rumored “uber bench” work on my ring back in April. I don’t actually know if my request was followed.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All views are necessary (and wanted here on PS) when evaluating jewelers.
I hope one day you do choose to post your experience.
But if not- I understand.
I,too, am curious about the wildly different experiences some on here report with DK.
It is easy to perceive with some of the stories here that there is indeed preferential treatment - or not all options are available to the majority of the public. Maybe?

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
All views are necessary (and wanted here on PS) when evaluating jewelers.
I hope one day you do choose to post your experience.
But if not- I understand.
I,too, am curious about the wildly different experiences some on here report with DK.
It is easy to perceive with some of the stories here that there is indeed preferential treatment - or not all options are available to the majority of the public. Maybe?

Well, as a long time PS lurker, I can say that I went to DK due to the many recommendations both here and over at the bee (more active on that forum).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for the most part very small establishments tend to have wonderful reviews - client lists and workloads are small enough to guarantee individual attention. Those vendors become popular (due in large part to those fantastic reviews) and workloads increase dramatically, but personnel and workflows can't keep pace - "growing pains" cause customers and projects to slip through the cracks.

Time and experience yields maturity and stability. Few vendors escape this cycle.

@WhatAboutTheCats good to hear re. your choice of WG - Stuller's X1 does indeed look "white" sans plating. I hope your vendor can resolve your issues to your satisfaction. You mentioned that you're new to custom jewellery - feel free to post here if you'd like opinions on design or process, as @Rfisher already suggested.

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
I think for the most part very small establishments tend to have wonderful reviews - client lists and workloads are small enough to guarantee individual attention. Those vendors become popular (due in large part to those fantastic reviews) and workloads increase dramatically, but personnel and workflows can't keep pace - "growing pains" cause customers and projects to slip through the cracks.

Time and experience yields maturity and stability. Few vendors escape this cycle.

@WhatAboutTheCats good to hear re. your choice of WG - Stuller's X1 does indeed look "white" sans plating. I hope your vendor can resolve your issues to your satisfaction. You mentioned that you're new to custom jewellery - feel free to post here if you'd like opinions on design or process, as @Rfisher already suggested.

Thanks for your suggestion! In the future, I’ll consider showing the CADs here to crowdsource the design ideas. I’ve done a few custom pieces, but none as detailed as the one I commissioned with DK. I chose DK to make this piece, in part, because I thought the ring was more complicated and required the experience of someone like DK (his Instagram is amazing, isn’t it?). But for some reason, I completely missed one detail in the CAD, which was that the inner halo wasn’t tilted. The inspiration picture shows a tilted inner halo. Ultimately, the flat halo didn’t harm the aesthetics of the ring and I wouldn’t have bothered to pay for a recast (at least immediately) if it were just the halo being flat. Here’s to hoping the recast will work out. Crossing my fingers ;-)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm more interested in hearing (seeing!) about the gap between the center stone and prongs and the milgrain issues, and what the (light yellow?) pears he sourced for you looked like.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
As am I, considering I’m about to do a custom project with him. I approved the CADs but haven’t given him the green light.

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
As am I, considering I’m about to do a custom project with him. I approved the CADs but haven’t given him the green light.

As many have mentioned, it’s possible that DK’s business is having some growing pains. It’s wonderful that he has so many customers due to the huge amount of love he gets on PS and WB. The word of mouth (online) has really traveled far. Which is precisely why I’m trying to monitor my words, especially on a public forum - I don’t want to hurt his reputation. I won’t lie: right now, I’m not happy with my situation. As mentioned, it’s been a veeeeery long wait. And often times, I feel my patience is being abused; as in the more patient I am, the longer they think I can wait. I remember seeing all the new PSer’s DK rings and wondering why my ring was still MIA. I’m leaving out a lot of info.

But seeing as most people (at least the ones who have taken to the forums) have had great experience with him, I’d say your odds are still pretty good. I’m sure your ring will turn out great. I really don’t want to bash DK here and I’m trying to be gracious. I’m frustrated, which is why I’m trying to refrain from saying too much. I think words said/written during moments of frustration can be uncharitable and I’m trying to avoid that the best I can. I was hoping that I’ve found my “forever jeweler” who I can go to for all my future design needs. I’ll wait and see how the recast turns out.

Edit to add one more point: Though I’m a loyal customer of many behemoth companies, I think it’s important to support small businesses. So I’m trying not to judge too harshly.

@Nicfit I apologize for totally derailing this thread!!!

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't speak to DKJ's 'business model' - and I'm not even sure what that means. But I've done many, many projects with them, so can tell you what I know....

@michellelynn9175 - Just out of curiosity, how many CADs has DKJ done for you? I think I saw on The Bee that you'd done 8 so far? Since it's unlikely you've put any money down, I think this speaks to how generous a jeweler DKJ is; that's hours and hours of work for free. Also, for everyone doing a project, there's a bunch more who are doing projects with which they don't proceed, so everyone needs to be aware that the line is long - behind people doing projects, and those just thinking about it.

@WhatAboutTheCats - have you contacted DKJ and told them you're not happy? My experience is that if you do that, you'll get the attention you're looking for. If you cant get anyone to answer the phone, leave a message - not a generic message - something along the lines of "Hi - this is so-and-so. My *---* has been in production with you since April and I'm not happy. What can we do to speed this up - I'd like to have it by *----*"

@Nicfit - if you want the uber bench - just ask. That's how it's decided. He is normally best for any project with lots of micro pave or where many stones are set. He's also much more expensive because he's slooooow and getting on *his* line is even slower, so be aware of that going in. If you're doing a project with no pave or not a lot of stone setting, I wouldn't bother; the benches there are all great.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just to add - I may be mistakenly perceived as one of those 'favored customers'. So to give you an idea of my experience....

I left 5 emails over the last 7 days without hearing back. I texted Amy 3 times. I left 2 phone messages. Last night at about 10pm I got a call back. That's TEN TIMES I reached out to get one phone call. It isn't easy for any of us and I don't believe DKJ has any favored customers. They treat everybody equally, from what I can see, and will get to everybody in the end. But they are more than worth it, which is why I persevere and always will; best prices, wonderful work, great people. But - yeah. They're busy, and the line is long and growing.

It expedites the process if you can say "This is *exactly* what I want" - or - "Can you pls design me something - your choice." It's the middle ground to-ing and fro-ing (which is where most of us exist) and repeat CADs and remakes and tweaking that takes all the time.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b I absolutely agree with everything you’ve said! And yes, I believe it was 8 CADs altogether, which I slightly embarrassing. I know it will be worth the wait, and I’m excited about it. And also, like you mentioned, if it’s not right he will make it right. He’s been great to work with so far and I haven’t had any communication issues to date. The first CADs took 6 weeks to get to me, but I made it clear I wasn’t in a hurry. I just tell folks wanting to work with him they may need to have patience, and either know what you like/don’t like or give him free reign over the design. The in between and hand holding and asking for design help wasn’t something I got when requested, but I muddled through (this is my first ever custom project, so there’s been a learning curve for me) and I guarantee I’ll adore the finished product!

@WhatAboutTheCats I am so sorry you’re having issues, but I applaud you for allowing him to rectify the situation before you blast him all over these forums. A lot of people wouldn’t do that. I can’t wait to see your finished Ring, and I truly hope you love it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also helps if before you ask for CADS, or after you get your first round, that you post on Pricescope and get input from others who are experienced
with looking at CADS and having custom work done. It can help to alleviate several rounds of CADs when you have several experienced eyes on them.

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies! (And maybe a couple of gents)

I wanted to pop in to give you guys a quick update because I know many of you are interested in my ring situation. Well, I finally got the recast + the previously ordered matching band and they’re incredible! :love:

I watched the ring vid DK sent me on a 4K monitor to make sure it’s really all good this time before giving him the ok. Now that I have the rings in hand, I’m so happy to say that IRL, the rings are even more perfect!

The recast of the main ring: All the aforementioned ring issues are resolved! Right now, everything from the white gold to the ring details are perfect (ohhh the milgrain :kiss2:) The ring is finally everything I hoped for! :love:I just got the ring so I haven’t exactly been wearing it for very long, but I trust it won’t turn yellow again since they identified the solution that caused the yellowing of the last ring. The recast is a significant improvement over the last iteration. The improvement is obvious to the naked eye. Amy mentioned it was set by their best bench (@Nicfit , info that might interest you) and the ring certainly looks great to me! Also, turns out DK didn’t charge for the recast, which is always a humongous plus for customers (thx DK!):clap:

The new matching band: It’s great! It’s an eternity band so I’m officially not allowed to change in finger size :naughty: :lol: ( I DID have the inside circumference sized a little bigger to be safe. )

DK has made me a very satisfied customer and he has my trust! It’s back to lurker mode for me (Don’t have much to say about jewelry in general. Just like to lurk and admire the incredible PS rings). :D:D:D

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for updating us. I'm so glad that you love your ring(s)! But... we need pictures! ;-)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We NEED pics!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@WhatAboutTheCats please start a new thread in Show me the Bling! So excited to see your lovelies!:kiss2:
-C4C

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
@WhatAboutTheCats woohoo! So glad it finally turned out perfectly. Pics or it didn’t happen! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results