shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had a colonoscopy?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b be you rock! This. Truely, it’s not as bad as you fear. I’ve had three. The preps are advancing in ease of administration and experience, last one was easy. Just eat soft and liquidy for a day or two before prep day. The procedure itself is painless, quick and you feel fine after! Much ado about nothing, proceedure wise. :wavey:

Thank you, @Bonfire.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been a GI/endoscopy RN for 20 years, feel free to ask me any questions ! The prep is the worst part for you. We use propofol for anesthesia for most endo procedures here now. You basically are going in for a nice, restful nap. It's so much better than what we used to use!
If you anticipate trouble with nausea, your doctor can prescribe zofran/ondansetron to take while prepping. Also, take breaks while taking prep. Refridgerate prep before drinking, easier to get it down.

Thanks for all those very helpful tips, @CHRISTY-DANIELLE.

For sure I'll back if I have more Q's:).

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Phoenix- I’ve had two. They give you an IV before and sedate you through the IV. They also give you fluids.’ The last one I had used the big jug prep and it was icky. But the procedure itself is easy and you’ll have a good nap, just make sure someone comes with you to drive you home. Good luck!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had 2 and I'm due for my 3rd, every ten years. Both times I was sedated, both times it was a snap, both times no polyphs etc. It is a damn pain to cleanse the bowel tho.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just not gonna eat nuts (though I love them) or at least keep them to a minimum. Seeds are not an issue (I am not a bird, lol).

Yeah, it sucks. I'd happily trade in my wrinkle-free looks for better health. Here's the kicker, I've never smoked - anything! Gave up drinking, eat clean and healthy. Exercise. Yet, I still have health issues. It's truly baffling!!

{{HUS}} back to you too, @missy.

Ditto dear @Phoenix..I never smoked and rarely drank even when I was in my twenties...just never a fan of alcohol. Always exercised always. Always ate "right" or what I thought was right. Look up the "Plant Paradox" if you haven't heard of it. Anyway it comes down to genetics as well as environment so even if we do everything right (and obviously not smoking and drinking and exercising and eating healthfully has helped us re appearance so that is something). So not baffling as much as luck of the draw in a way...sending healing hugs and thoughts your way.

I love nuts too and miss them especially pistachios and cashews...and LOL re the seeds. You are right. We are not birds.:lol:

You're going to be A OK. You got this and you have lots of love and support on your side plus the knowledge and the skill of good healthcare professionals who know what they are doing. That counts for a lot. (((Hugs))).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, @Mamabean. Now, I am really dreading the preps, after having read about them here!:shock: Though I will look up those you mentioned.

Glad to know about the ice lollipops. I like them, yay!!

So, they'll give you an IV before the procedure?
Yes..It doesn’t hurt..just a teeny pinch..

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the clarification, Deb. Glad you were able to sort out the migraine.

I expect to be nauseous and possibly throwing up. Will ask the Dr about this.

@Phoenix, just remember - almost everyone having a colonoscopy is having it because of gut issues. Except for those having a routine exam due to aging, more or less everyone having this procedure feels ill. For example, I feel as tho I want to throw up about 50% of every day of my life. Sometimes I do throw up - spontaneously and unexpectedly. Yet we all make it through the procedure.

I can only reassure you that it's not difficult and there's no need to be nervous; your nerves are more likely to make you bilious than the prep. Hang in there, and concentrate on trying to relax. Don't over-think it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm convinced now, after having read all the posts here, that I MUST go for one, and indeed will schedule it asap (going to see Dr for a follow up today).

Are you talking about sedation and not a full GA?

I'll be having it done at one of the top hospitals here. The Dr performing the colonoscopy will be the one that helped me with the diverticulitis attack recently. Sorry to hear about your SIL - that's shocking!

Yes, it will be sedation, not a general. I'm no expert on anesthesia (except to be damn fond of it: I don' wanna remember NUTHIN'! Ever!) but I know that there are some - like fentanyl - that in the hands of a skilled anesthesiologist - can put you into whatever degree of awake/responsive they need, yet you recall nada. The important piece is the skilled anesthesiologist. Since you're doing it in a full hospital setting, that will almost certainly be what you get. Oh, and the nice thing? Unless you have some non-typical reaction to the med they give you, most of the time you're going to bounce right out of the sedation, and not feel bad at all. You might even feel pretty dang perky afterwards. You're going to do fine, really.

Yes, we were all VERY.....insert whatever. Her diagnosis was awful. It was a pretty bad time for the fam. It was even more fun because I found out I had breast cancer a few weeks after she was diagnosed. Christmas that year was a...hoot. We were doing rads at the same time and right up until the 23rd of December. That was when we discovered CATERED Christmas. That tradition we've kept. We actually cook a bit more now, because we both feel better, but that year? The two families did our own private thing - no travel, no visiting, just them and their kids, and us. We loved it. :)

And she's doing fantastic BTW, she is almost at the 3 1/2 year mark and healthy and cancer-free. Every day is a gift.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you will be pleasantly surprised it was very easy...The prep is just unpleasant because you will be spending time in the bathroom but when that’s done..the procedure will be easy. You’ll have an IV put in..answer some questions and they’ll wheel you into the room where they’ll do the procedure. They ask you to turn to your left side..and next thing you know it you’re up and it’s over. Don’t wear any jewelry..Leave it at home..They don’t let you wear any and I wouldn’t trust my husband to hold mine for me..:lol:

P

PierreBear

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm an anomaly that I elected to get a colonoscopy done at the young age of gosh... 21? My grandfather passed from colon cancer and I wanted to be safe from sorry as I occasionally had some discomfort. The preparations were terrible where I had drink gallons of this solution that just was unpalatable. You would put it in the fridge and the stuff just never got cold. Drank as much as I could and then called and said I couldn't do anymore and then they suggested an enema. I'm sure there must be a better way as this was 10+ years ago. Was put to sleep for the procedure but woke up very nauseous but could have been that I was allergic to something. Learned that I possibly had occasional bowel syndrome but who doesn't? I don't regret doing it but in my case, since I didn't get any feedback on changing behavior or what to look out for, I don't think I would repeat it until DR urgently requests for me to do it.

Good luck and hope you feel better!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm an anomaly that I elected to get a colonoscopy done at the young age of gosh... 21? My grandfather passed from colon cancer and I wanted to be safe from sorry as I occasionally had some discomfort. The preparations were terrible where I had drink gallons of this solution that just was unpalatable. You would put it in the fridge and the stuff just never got cold. Drank as much as I could and then called and said I couldn't do anymore and then they suggested an enema. I'm sure there must be a better way as this was 10+ years ago. Was put to sleep for the procedure but woke up very nauseous but could have been that I was allergic to something. Learned that I possibly had occasional bowel syndrome but who doesn't? I don't regret doing it but in my case, since I didn't get any feedback on changing behavior or what to look out for, I don't think I would repeat it until DR urgently requests for me to do it.

Good luck and hope you feel better!
It is so much better now so you won’t have to drink gallons of salty liquid anymore. It is two days of easy prep to screen for cancer that can end your life. Not a bad trade off IMHO..It’s not a bad prep anymore so please make sure you get yourself checked again...I think you got it done very early but go speak to a GI doctor and get checked since it’s been ten years for you..Get screened and you won’t have to go again until you’re 41.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so update: I saw the DR yesterday and amongst what he said that jumped out at me was that he would be the one giving me the anesthesia as well as performing the colonoscopy. Should I be worried?

Some of you ladies have mentioned having a separate anesthetist sedating you. I also know that when I had a minor procedure done a few years ago, there was an anesthetist in addition to the Dr doing the procedure.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so update: I saw the DR yesterday and amongst what he said that jumped out at me was that he would be the one giving me the anesthesia as well as performing the colonoscopy. Should I be worried?

Some of you ladies have mentioned having a separate anesthetist sedating you. I also know that when I had a minor procedure done a few years ago, there was an anesthetist in addition to the Dr doing the procedure.

@Phoenix every procedure my dh and I have had that required anesthesia always had an anesthesiologist administering and observing throughout the procedures. Now perhaps your physician is board certified in both areas of medicine but still I would prefer having a separate physician who is well versed in anesthesiology monitoring you throughout the procedure no matter how brief that procedure hopefully will be. During both of my endoscopies I had an anesthesiologist there and those were pretty brief.

But to answer your question should you be worried did you ask your physician why there is not an anesthesiologist who will be taking on that role during your colonoscopy?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an anesthesiologist, my doctor and two nurses there in the room. I wouldn’t want my doctor giving me anesthesia while he’s distracted doing the colonoscopy...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix every procedure my dh and I have had that required anesthesia always had an anesthesiologist administering and observing throughout the procedures. Now perhaps your physician is board certified in both areas of medicine but still I would prefer having a separate physician who is well versed in anesthesiology monitoring you throughout the procedure no matter how brief that procedure hopefully will be. During both of my endoscopies I had an anesthesiologist there and those were pretty brief.

But to answer your question should you be worried did you ask your physician why there is not an anesthesiologist who will be taking on that role during your colonoscopy?

That's what I thought too, @missy.

I did ask him and he mumbled something about the sedation being very simple and that there'd be no need for a separate anesthesiologist doing it.

(I looked up the difference between an anesthetist and an anesthesiologist. I meant the latter).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an anesthesiologist, my doctor and two nurses there in the room. I wouldn’t want my doctor giving me anesthesia while he’s distracted doing the colonoscopy...

Right?!

Me thinks I need to look for another Dr to perform the colonoscopy. I am really not comfortable with this one wanting to wear two hats.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right?!

Me thinks I need to look for another Dr to perform the colonoscopy. I am really not comfortable with this one wanting to wear two hats.
I really agree with this..

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve always had an anesthesiologist. My last one was a nurse anesthetist, with another nurse assisting. I would be very leery of any doctor who assumes he can perform dual roles in this procedure. Why would he want to? With Propofol (which you’ll most likely be given) you should be monitored carefully. The doctor needs to be concentrating on the other end of things! Good luck!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
My doctor gave me the anesthesia, I think that's rather common. It's such a small amount as you're under for a VERY short period of time. I've also had a dentist give me anesthesia for a delicate root canal - no problems with that either. Think about it, vet techs give animals anesthesia all the time and they don't even have the training of a doctor. You hear about complications from anesthesia, but that is usually due to a pre-existing health condition, and when being given deep sedation. This is basically a deep twilight, not a complete sedation like you would get for open heart surgery. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your doctor wouldn't still be practicing if he had had any mishaps....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My doctor gave me the anesthesia, I think that's rather common. It's such a small amount as you're under for a VERY short period of time. I've also had a dentist give me anesthesia for a delicate root canal - no problems with that either. Think about it, vet techs give animals anesthesia all the time and they don't even have the training of a doctor. You hear about complications from anesthesia, but that is usually due to a pre-existing health condition, and when being given deep sedation. This is basically a deep twilight, not a complete sedation like you would get for open heart surgery. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your doctor wouldn't still be practicing if he had had any mishaps....

This is just wrong. Make sure you have a licensed anesthesiologist. Yes, you should worry that the doctor you saw considered doing the anesthesia himself. I do not want to scare you, but I will share that my late mother screamed in pain through a colonoscopy where the stupid gastroenterologist (who had a great reputation) did the procedure in his own office and also did the so-called anesthesia. I wanted to kill him. I cannot tell you the extent of my murderous rage towards this horrible man. And I was impotent. I wish today that there was a way I could make him see that he tortured my mother, to make him aware, himself, of what that experience would be like. She screamed for him to stop and he didn't.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just wrong. Make sure you have a licensed anesthesiologist. Yes, you should worry that the doctor you saw considered doing the anesthesia himself. I do not want to scare you, but I will share that my late mother screamed in pain through a colonoscopy where the stupid gastroenterologist (who had a great reputation) did the procedure in his own office and also did the so-called anesthesia. I wanted to kill him. I cannot tell you the extent of my murderous rage towards this horrible man. And I was impotent. I wish today that there was a way I could make him see that he tortured my mother, to make him aware, himself, of what that experience would be like. She screamed for him to stop and he didn't.

Indeed it is. My husband was knocked out in the dentist's office because of several reasons I won't bore with. And the dentist was good and they did get him knocked out. But for some reason it required more to keep him under and they kept having to give more. He came home in quite a state of yuck - for about 2 days. With the colonoscopy? He was back to normal much sooner. I chalk the differences up to the difference in level of skill, and in this case, even more likely the drugs that a non-anesthesiologist has access to are not as good.

I demand the best of both, the most skill and the best of the modern meds. So let's say, I've had ETHER (and I really have) and fentanyl. I much prefer the latter.

Feistyred

Rough_Rock

You do not need an anesthesiologist or CRNA to give you sedation. Your doctor can give you sedation using different medications than the anesthesiologist. Anesthesia would give you say, Propofol, versed, ketamine... the doctor can give you Versed plus Fentanyl, Demerol or ketamine. He or your nurse administers it at the beginning of the procedure. If more medication is needed during procedure, the RN will then give it you. The doctor does not give it to you after the procedure has started. He’s got his hands full...
In a typical procedure at my hospital, it is the doctor and two RN’s in the room. One RN has the responsibility of monitoring the patient. The other is assisting the doctor. Both are ACLS certified and have advanced knowledge of sedation.
I’ve had an upper endoscopys with both types of sedation. Both worked beautifully. I have no hesitation with my doctor giving me sedation vs anesthetist.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
You do not need an anesthesiologist or CRNA to give you sedation. Your doctor can give you sedation using different medications than the anesthesiologist. Anesthesia would give you say, Propofol, versed, ketamine... the doctor can give you Versed plus Fentanyl, Demerol or ketamine. He or your nurse administers it at the beginning of the procedure. If more medication is needed during procedure, the RN will then give it you. The doctor does not give it to you after the procedure has started. He’s got his hands full...
In a typical procedure at my hospital, it is the doctor and two RN’s in the room. One RN has the responsibility of monitoring the patient. The other is assisting the doctor. Both are ACLS certified and have advanced knowledge of sedation.
I’ve had an upper endoscopys with both types of sedation. Both worked beautifully. I have no hesitation with my doctor giving me sedation vs anesthetist.
Hope this helps!
Exactly. @AGBF I'm sorry about what your Mom went through. Apparently her doctor wasn't as skilled as some others. I will say, I've had anesthesiologists for other surgeries and I've come out of the sedation. It seems that my body metabolizes medications in an unusually rapid manner, and I woke up during wisdom tooth extractions, arthroscopic and tonsil removal. So those 3 separate anesthesiologists didn't do any better than the doctor administering sedation.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I had a colonoscopy there was no less than 4 people in the room. 2 nurses, the doc, the anesthesiologist. I have such bad reactions to drugs that they struggle on what to give me. I would not want them to just knock me out without knowing what they're giving.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG! I am soooo sorry to hear about what your mother went through. *This* alone is enough to convince me that I'll need to find a Dr who would be assisted by a anesthesiologist. I am super sensitive, can wake easily.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope this helps!

Thanks for this, @Feistyred. It did not occur to me to ask how many RN's there would be. The Dr said that he'd be the one sedating me (using a mixture of a little of Dormicum and Propofol). He said that he'd give me the sedation meds throughout until he's finished doing the colonoscopy, at which point he'd stop the sedation. I don't know though how he'd be able to monitor me and know at which point he'd stop the sedation if he'd be busy examining my "end"?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I had a colonoscopy there was no less than 4 people in the room. 2 nurses, the doc, the anesthesiologist. I have such bad reactions to drugs that they struggle on what to give me. I would not want them to just knock me out without knowing what they're giving.

Would you mind elaborating on this, @Arcadian? What bad reactions to the drugs did you have and do you know why? Also, what drugs did they give you?

And also, do you normally react to drugs when you're sedated?

Sorry if my Q's are too intrusive. You don't have to answer if you don't want to:). I am just very sensitive to everything and tbt, I'm freaking out a little, lol.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you mind elaborating on this, @Arcadian? What bad reactions to the drugs did you have and do you know why? Also, what drugs did they give you?

And also, do you normally react to drugs when you're sedated?

Sorry if my Q's are too intrusive. You don't have to answer if you don't want to:). I am just very sensitive to everything and tbt, I'm freaking out a little, lol.

Oh no its OK! I have severe reactions to lots of drugs, including asprin + I'm asthmatic and its brought on by alleric reactions. So at times, they look at my chart and scratch their heads....lol
So basically most opiods are off the table as are sulfite containing drugs. Also, codeine and NSAIDS. Some of these allergies were found by trial and error so, if you've never had reactions to any of that stuff, you'll have it easy.

I don't know what the eventual decision was last time, I told them give me something that won't make me sick and let them hash it out:lol-2: I kept hearing "oh we can give her...." followed by a "no, that won't work either"...lol So so important for a anethesiologist who knows their stuff to be in the room for someone like me.

Bottom line, if you do have ANY drug reactions, even some that you don't think that matter, tell them. Totally makes the difference.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly. @AGBF I'm sorry about what your Mom went through. Apparently her doctor wasn't as skilled as some others. I will say, I've had anesthesiologists for other surgeries and I've come out of the sedation. It seems that my body metabolizes medications in an unusually rapid manner, and I woke up during wisdom tooth extractions, arthroscopic and tonsil removal. So those 3 separate anesthesiologists didn't do any better than the doctor administering sedation.

I am sorry, but this attitude makes no sense. If you had problems with anesthesiologists who are the most highly trained people in giving anesthesia, you should (in my opinion, of course) have sought even better trained anesthesiologists, not retreated to letting less qualified people give you anesthesia
when you needed surgery again.

Using someone other than a licensed anesthesiologist is, in my opinion, an invitation to getting someone who is "less skilled" than "some others".

One never knows how good an anesthesiologist will be, unless one is an anesthesiologist oneself and knows the field well, but one can bet on the odds. I have a good friend who is an anesthesiologist and whose first wife was also an anesthesiologist. He said to me unequivocally that he wouldn't let just anyone give him anesthesia.

I am about to have surgery. I was told I was going to have "general anesthesia". I started asking if the anesthesiologists at the hospital were all licensed. My internist, to whom I was sent for a pre-op physical, didn't know. He "guessed" they were. So I went to the surgeon. I won't go into all my details. (It won't actually be general anesthesia, just not light sedation. But I will have a licensed anesthesiologist.)

I may die (of course I have been told it is highly unlikely), but I really want to make the very, very best choices at every juncture.

AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results