shape
carat
color
clarity

Starter stones for young collector

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescope-
I'd appreciate your advice with finding some starter stones for my young niece who has recently developed an interest in colored gemstones after visiting the Smithsonian collection (who wouldn't??). I want to help foster her interest but given her age (she's 8) we wouldn't want to buy anything too expensive just yet. I looked at the recommended vendors list but these are of course much higher quality and price than we're looking for. On the other end of the spectrum, I've found a lot of cheap things that look no different from plastic, and I would like for it to have a little sparkle and shine!

Do you have any leads on where I might find some relatively inexpensive faceted stones that aren't too lousy in quality? I would like to keep it below $40 per stone. She loves all colors but is particular to pinks and purples.

TIA!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you visited the pre-loved forum and listed a "WTB- Colored Gemstones- Starter/Learner Stones" you might be able to snag some lovely pre-owned stones at good prices. Many of us are gemstone hoarders and just need a reason to sell some of the stones we have no plans on setting.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ . Agreed.

FWIW some of us may have very nice quality colored gemstones that just aren't worth the time/bother of listing & selling preloved, and would be happy to send along if postage/insurance is covered.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would stick with amethyst, since purple is one of the colors your niece likes. You can find a pretty amethyst in your price range. I just checked forevergemstones and saw a pretty kunzite for $37. It might have tilt window. Anyway, kunzite is the pink (sometimes purple) variety of the mineral spodumene. This one is light pink. I bought mine from a bargain bin for $30 at a gem show. It’s over 5 carats. I know the cutter though.

Last edited:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Lacey126, I have lots of starter stones for your niece. If you look on Loupe Troop for Suzanne one two and email me, we can set her up.

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
Man you guys are awesome!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Suzanne2, thanks for the offer! I’ve never used loupetroop before so I’m rather unfamiliar with it - is this you? https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/calling-soon2bmrsfredericks

LisaRN and marymm - wow, that would be fantastic. I’ll try to reach out to suzanne2 first and maybe post a thread afterwards...plenty of birthdays and holidays to come!

Chatoyancy, I really like the suggestion of an amethyst and will look into that site as you suggested. (Embarrassing confession...I actually bought her a super cheap amethyst on Etsy and it was so bad I didn’t even give it to her. :oops: Glad to find a reliable website!)

Chroman - last I talked with her she was more favoring pinks and purples, but I don’t think she would turn down anything bright and sparkly! I’m going to keep those yellow zircons on the list for sure!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@Lacey126 on Etsy, TheCustomJeweler has some pretty loose amethyst. I found a pink and purple 10mm princess cut for only $12.
Definetly get that girl a rose de france amethyst! They are pink AND purple!( one of my personal faves, too!)
Screenshot_20181021-222310.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The very first stone I ever got was a amethyst. I was 14 and picked it out myself. Still have it (still love it, though its quite the dog....:lol-2::P2)

I think let them choose which one interests them (within reason of course!) If you (and they) are in the US, there are some parts of the country you can go for digs, which is pretty cool. Back when I was a kid, they didn't have such super organized digs, and some areas of rural missouri/ arkansas you could "hunt" for quartz pretty much whenever.

Last edited:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
@Lacey126
If you reach out to Suzanne2 and still want more starter stones, I have a bunch I never got around to setting or selling! If you’re local to DC, even better, as I’m in the area often and can bring what I have if you’d like to save on shipping. Let me know if you’re interested and we can figure out how to get in touch.

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
@Lacey126 on Etsy, TheCustomJeweler has some pretty loose amethyst. I found a pink and purple 10mm princess cut for only $12.
Definetly get that girl a rose de france amethyst! They are pink AND purple!( one of my personal faves, too!)
Screenshot_20181021-222310.png

I bought this! Fingers crossed it turns out as nice as it looks in the pictures!

Chroman - that color, wow! :love: though I think she is primarily into faceted stones right now.

suzanne2 - I emailed you :)

blingbunny10 - thank you for reaching out! I haven't been back to that area for a long time but do have some friends in Northern Virginia that I probably owe a visit. Depending on how things go I'll let you know!

Arcadian - I never thought about dig-your-owns! She's a city girl but I'm sure would love the idea of trying to find her own gems. I'll have to see if there's anything within a reasonable drive of where they live.

Thanks again everyone!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
The very first stone I ever got was a amethyst. I was 14 and picked it out myself. Still have it (still love it, though its quite the dog....:lol-2::P2)

Ooooh, you just brought back memories...my first one was an amethyst too. I was so in love with that thing that I kept it in my pocket all the time and lo and behold, it must have fallen out one day when I was riding my bike (I was like...7, I think...and clearly not very bright). I was MAD!! I think I made my parents comb every inch of the field I was riding on but we never did find it. :lol-2:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If your niece loved the Smithsonian, she would probably enjoy being able to look at her new gemstones under a loupe. Clarity is one of the things we pay extra for, and starter stones may have some beautiful internal features that are considered “flaws”.

You can even find an inexpensive loupe with a UV light on it. Check out the other thread on “Fun. With Fluorescence!” for some beautiful photos our collectors have posted. I hope your niece enjoys making her own discoveries!

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
How funny - suzanne2 said the same thing, at almost the same time! I'm thinking that a loupe with UV in combo with a few starter stones should be a good Christmas gift to get her started.

One more question - when vendors ship their gems, do they come with the little gem boxes? Or do I need to buy a pack of those? I see some for sale on eBay and Etsy but I'm not sure if some are better than others.

Thank you again everyone!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wonder if @Bron357 would have something.

cheers--Sharon

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
If your niece loved the Smithsonian, she would probably enjoy being able to look at her new gemstones under a loupe. Clarity is one of the things we pay extra for, and starter stones may have some beautiful internal features that are considered “flaws”.

You can even find an inexpensive loupe with a UV light on it. Check out the other thread on “Fun. With Fluorescence!” for some beautiful photos our collectors have posted. I hope your niece enjoys making her own discoveries!

What a good idea!

voce

Ideal_Rock
How funny - suzanne2 said the same thing, at almost the same time! I'm thinking that a loupe with UV in combo with a few starter stones should be a good Christmas gift to get her started.

One more question - when vendors ship their gems, do they come with the little gem boxes? Or do I need to buy a pack of those? I see some for sale on eBay and Etsy but I'm not sure if some are better than others.

Thank you again everyone!
US vendors ship gems in little boxes. If you buy from overseas, then they might not. I once bought a spinel from Sri Lanka that was wrapped in cotton and packaged inside a little leather coin purse.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you try mastercut gems? I remember seeing some stones in your price range. He’s having the Roctober sale right now.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also like The Gem Trader, who carries some unusual stones, some of which are collectors’ rarities or too soft for jewelry. KosnarGemCo on Etsy has some beautiful quartz hearts, among other things.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnets are also often a good starter option. Not too pricey if you’re talking reds but super pretty.

Or small moonstone?

Take a look around Etsy maybe for loose stones for crafts

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
Hi, I apologize for the late responses to so many of your wonderful ideas! Work has been unusually busy and dragged me away from this fascinating side project until now. The amethyst recommended by CHRISTY-DANIELLE arrived last week and is gorgeous! I keep taking it out to look at it. How incredible that something so pretty can come out of the earth! And still more to come...

Well I think I've got some good leads and lots of birthday and holiday presents ahead! Thanks again everyone!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope some others with curious little girls in their lives will get some holiday ideas too! I love how you are nurturing your niece’s interests, Lacey. :wavey:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@Lacey126 phew!:lol: I'm so glad that amethyst turned out to be a pretty stone! It looked good in the photos, but you never know...

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
I hope some others with curious little girls in their lives will get some holiday ideas too! I love how you are nurturing your niece’s interests, Lacey. :wavey:

I hope so! She's a great kid and we are all lucky to have her in our lives. It's also a privilege to get to live Christmas through a child's eyes again, without any of the stresses of adulthood.

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

Happy to report that my niece now has a wonderful set of stones thanks to the very sweet suzanne2! She’s also got the amethyst as recommended by Christy-Danielle and hopefully a loupe on the way. It’s going to be a fantastic Christmas.

What do you guys think of these two hot pink tourmalines from Litnon?

https://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=11509

https://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=11504

The first one seems to be larger but is less expensive than the second one and I’m not sure why. The second one does look more sparkly, or is it just me? Maybe that’s why?

You guys are all so helpful and friendly! Thank you! :)

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

Happy to report that my niece now has a wonderful set of stones thanks to the very sweet suzanne2! She’s also got the amethyst as recommended by Christy-Danielle and hopefully a loupe on the way. It’s going to be a fantastic Christmas.

What do you guys think of these two hot pink tourmalines from Litnon?

https://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=11509

https://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=11504

The first one seems to be larger but is less expensive than the second one and I’m not sure why. The second one does look more sparkly, or is it just me? Maybe that’s why?

You guys are all so helpful and friendly! Thank you! :)

That's great, I'm sure your neice will be thrilled! The first stone is not as well cut as the second one. It is sort of wonky! It also appears to be more included than the second one. The second one is in a calibrated size, so it will be easier to set in jewellery and it's symmetrical.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results