shape
carat
color
clarity

AGL or GIA inscription on CS?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
It seems to be a common thing on diamonds but is it so on CS? Haven’t been able to find much on the general search and only came across the optional “Laser Inscription” service of GIA and UGL stones on https://www.gemsny.com/gemsny-difference/ so far. Also read the following informative PS threads.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-criteria-on-when-you-get-lab-reports.197729/

When considering buying either an AGL or GIA certified CS without an inscription on the girdle from vendors/jewelers frequently used by PS members, the best thing to do after receiving the stone is to take it to an independent appraisal to verify all things for a peace of mind? I understand that not every appraisal is specialized in CS but is it the 2nd best thing after sending it back to the lab for verification?

Would love to hear your expert advice. TIA

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The easiest thing to do is to verify against the lab memo by an appraiser. He or She will measure the stone, check to confirm that it is the gem type as stated (treatments or none). I've never heard of anyone sending it back to the lab before. Sometime, a consumer might contact the lab to ensure that the lab memo hasn't been forged.

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
I've done it once with a ruby in a ring. Sent ring and report back to GIA and got a "verification letter" confirming that the gem stone matches the certificate. Ultimate peace of mind and was only $35 + shipping.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@chrono Thanks.

@ChanterelleJ Thanks for the sharing. $35 + shipping could be less than the cost of independent appraisal! A few questions...

How long did you have to wait for it to come back?

Is the GIA report which came with your purchase for the entire ring or just the ruby?

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
@ChanterelleJ Thanks for the sharing. $35 + shipping could be less than the cost of independent appraisal! A few questions...

How long did you have to wait for it to come back?

Is the GIA report which came with your purchase for the entire ring or just the ruby?

@Rad_Fan It has been a while, but I think it was about 2 weeks. The GIA that came with my ring was for the entire ring. The verification letter said that the ruby in the ring sent in by me matches the ruby in the ring described in the original report. Hope that helps :geek2:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In my experience, laser inscriptions are almost never found on colored stones. It may have something to do with the technology to inscribe (maybe it is less safe for colored gems, where the composition, properties, etc. can be so different)??

Some good advice above regarding getting a lab to verify that the stone is consistent with the certificate. I would've never thought of that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results