shape
carat
color
clarity

A confession and a reveal - new DKJ 3 stone

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @nala - yes, I'm making 2 bands to go with it. One is a 9 stone anniversary band, and the other is an 18kt Holly band. They will all mix and match, so I'll have lots of options. The 2 bands will also go with the halo'd green tourmaline ring. :)) And I'm currently away from home, but will get some more photos when I get back.

@pearaffair - did you see my thread, 'Not Cheaper By The Dozen'? If you go to that one, you'll see most of my other projects; I think that thread has about 15 of my projects from this year on it. :mrgreen:

Thank you so much, @bludiva - I completely agree. I think that's why, on PS, we have to be careful about pushing our taste onto other people; everybody's position is valid and everyone's desires are different. Sometimes it's tough to walk the line between what we think is a good deal and a tasteful design, and what other people come to PS wanting. Right down the other end of the spectrum, tho, is the people who said to me "Mrs B - shouldn't you be getting a 3 stone?" Those people have watched me buy and wear and love jewelry long enough that they KNEW I was on the wrong path and would probably not be happy. And they were dead right.
And yes, putting it on in that first moment is the real acid test, isn't it? Always gives me butterflies in the tummy, that moment when I open the box of a new custom piece!! <gulp!>

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings are gorgeous and I hope you wear the lovely new three stone in good health. This thread really underscores to me that something can be beautiful and desirable and still not be quite right for us, and sometimes you just don't know until you put it on. I'm glad it was resolved so beautifully for you MrsB. Waiting to see that tourmaline =D

Well said! I’ve felt that feeling: it’s beautiful, but not speaking to me.

Btw thanks Mrs B! I’ll find your other thread :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, beautiful, love both the two tone and how the side stones step away from the larger center diamond. :clap:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And yes, putting it on in that first moment is the real acid test, isn't it? Always gives me butterflies in the tummy, that moment when I open the box of a new custom piece!! <gulp!>

OMG yes this is it. The "butterfly" test. Got it with my dh and yes I get it with bling too.:lol:

Both rings are gorgeous and I hope you wear the lovely new three stone in good health. This thread really underscores to me that something can be beautiful and desirable and still not be quite right for us, and sometimes you just don't know until you put it on. I'm glad it was resolved so beautifully for you MrsB. Waiting to see that tourmaline =D

So true. Beauty is indubitably in the eye of the beholder. And there are so many ways a piece can be beautiful. Getting it just right for us is the challenge. And well done to @mrs-b for getting it just right for her.

@missy - if you set your beautiful new stone as a solitaire, it will be QUITE the solitaire! If you set it in a halo, or any other style of setting - it will be jaw dropping. You cannot go wrong with a stone like that. How are you finding the bump in color? I know you loved the color of Bea; are you finding this just as appealing to your eye, or do you feel you've lost a smidge of the antique-y feel? :kiss2:

Thanks @mrs-b. I am torn. My heart skips a beat when I look at her now but I think it would probably skip a beat if she were in the "right" solitaire setting. The problem is I won't know which setting I prefer till I try it and that's an expensive proposition so I am taking my time. Like you I can visualize her in a new setting but not sure which way I would prefer her on me. That is what I cannot visualize. I also cannot visualize how will she perform in another setting. Her facets are so well defined in this halo setting and I am not sure would it be the same in a solitaire setting?

The 2 grades bump up in color are significant to me as I am color sensitive. But it's not so white that it takes away from the antiqueness of the OEC. I think J is my sweet spot for OECs but there is definitely a range of color I find beautiful for old cuts and not just one color grade. I think J is at the whiter limit for me for OECs as I had in my possession a couple of GIA I OECs and for me they didn't do it. They lacked a depth or something I cannot explain. A certain je ne sais quoi was missing. I also had in my possession other color grades and with that experience I am confident that J is my sweet spot. Now of course it is hard to say in a vacuum that yes J is it but I is not because it does come down to (all the other characteristics of) the individual stone so I can not say with 100% definitiveness that an I color OEC could never be the one for me but I can say with complete assuredness that this J does it for me and is my HG stone.

And just to throw in my 2c worth...I like the beach shots of Bubbalah the best!

Thank you! Haha that makes sense. Of all the locations I have taken photos of her in I love the beach best too.

And thanks for your thoughtful questions. All of which help me towards finding the "best" setting for my OEC. I am going to need all the help I can get before I make the "final" decision. Though being a true PSer sometimes I wonder is there really ever one final decision when it comes to bling...:bigsmile:

Looking forward to more photos of your gorgeous ring with your band options too. :love:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My taste in rings is still evolving. My e-ring is 25 years old and one day I'll do a reset so I casually browse the diamond sections. When I saw your ring I stopped dead. It's gorgeous! I couldn't at first tell what made it so different so I looked and looked...10 minutes later I realized it's the prettiest three stone I've ever seen. I especially like the way the side stones are set. They look like there's nothing holding them. I love it!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful new ring!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@partgypsy - thank you! Two-tone seems to be largely out of style these days, but I love it. It really works with this style and - since I'm never changing my wedding ring - I need a yellow gold setting. But nothing - and I mean NOTHING! - is detracting from these F colored ACA beauty, so the prongs had to be a white metal. So two-tone it is!

@missy - I love it that J is your sweet spot for OECs. I totally agree with you; an OEC needs some degree of warmth to bring out its lushness. My favorite color for an OEC is probably K - tho anything down to...well, there's no bottom limit, really, so long as the setting is right. One day I'll throw my heart over the indecision and get an N-P colored OEC; they're SO beautiful!

@pearaffair - glad you found the other thread - there's a bunch of stuff in it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @CravingDiamonds - it was a while till I felt able to confess I'd changed up the halo soli; but in the end, I decided to embrace my inner 3-stone! :mrgreen:

@elle_71125 - it was just luck! The bottom of the halo basket will need to be hollowed out a little to allow for the greater depth, but the diameter is correct to within 100/th of a mm! It's a perfect fit! And I wanted green, too, so I consider myself extremely lucky with this.

@suzanne2 - thank you so much for those lovely comments! I love this ring - absolutely love it. Its proportions are perfect on my hand, to my eye, and every time I look at it, I'm taken aback by how well it suits my finger. And I LOVE the groove setting of the side stones. Three stone rings can be a little overwhelmed by metal, so this was an excellent setting option to stop that from happening. I'm going to have this ring all my life; it really is my dream ring.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Four front on shots - almost all identical... :- / However, this gives a pretty fair indication what a colorless diamond looks like, and why some people love them. Good lord, I love this ring!

20181017_115552.jpg

20181017_115510.jpg

20181017_115631.jpg

20181017_115612.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now some truly horrible hand shots. Not much I can do about this freezing Boston weather, and the havoc it wreaks on one's hands, but there it is.

Ugh - I didn't know which ones to put up because they're all the same. So I'm putting up them all. Please excuse the repetition.

20181017_115829.jpg

20181017_115822.jpg

20181017_115911.jpg

20181017_115914.jpg

ladyonthelake

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow this is so gorgeous!!!

Reactions: AV_

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! I LOVE your ring..The little diamond in the back of the ring is adorable!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
wow, those pictures are killing me !
SO GORGEOUS!!!!:appl::appl:

we need more!

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
YES!!!!!! I love the wall of bling with the band. and I should have guessed this was yours and I was head over heels when I saw it come up on DK's IG. love it! love it! love it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@arkieb1 - hallo! :wavey: I'm so glad you like it; I love it too. :))

Thank you, @ladyonthelake! I think it's pretty lush, and it's going to be a life-long love affair. I don't want to invest any more into one piece than I have into this one, so this ring has reached its 'terminal velocity'. :mrgreen: Next up...an emerald cut, perhaps? :kiss2:

Lol @HappyNewLife - you are so optimistic about my photography skills! Altho I have to say, there is no bad angle on this ring, so, so long as the camera is even in focus, they all look good. :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Mamabean. To be honest, the tiny diamond at the back is the one thing I'm planning to change. I always used to have a 2pt stone in the back of my rings, but somehow this one is 2/3 of a point. It's a bit too small for my old lady eyes to appreciate, so I'm planning on getting it switched out for another 2 point stone.

@tkyasx78 - they just about killed me to take! They took the best part of an afternoon and I must have taken at least a hundred to get that half a dozen or so! But I'm glad you like them. :)

Hi, @lorrissey! :wavey: I love it, too. I have a true gut response to this ring - more than I've ever had to any ring I've owned. I'm so pleased to have it and I wear it for at least a part of every day. This is a forever ring for me; it ticked aaaaaall the boxes. And I hope all is well with you! :))

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I’m also one who cannot truly know how I will feel about a particular design, no matter how many CADs, renderings or models, until I get it in-hand and on my finger. Even then, it takes a bit of time before I know for certain. So, it’s heartbreaking to hear you say you feel the halo was a big mistake. Sometimes you just don’t know until you try it.

I think that’s why I love working with DK and Amy. They totally understand jewelry design can be an evolutionary process, and are so awesome about making changes/modifications or even a total redesign until you’re completely thrilled.

So, while I think the halo was amazing (and really looking forward to seeing it set with your tourmaline), I am totally gobsmacked by your new three-stone. It’s remarkable and looks utterly fabulous on you! :love:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I had a feeling that a three stone is where you will end up :) I am so happy that you have found your forever ring! The design, the setting are absolutely stunning and look beautiful on you!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I had a feeling that a three stone is where you will end up :) I am so happy that you have found your forever ring! The design, the setting are absolutely stunning and look beautiful on you!

@SimoneDi - I think you were one of the people who actually said to me "Shouldn't you be at least considering a three stone...?" And you were dead right. I LOVE this ring. Every time I see it, I'm shocked by the beauty of its proportions and the way it wraps around my finger like it's holding on tight!

The next ring I buy will be a very white rb to go with some jewelry I already own, and after that, a warm OEC. But this will be the *best* ring I ever own. This one is special in ways I can't quite articulate. Love this ring.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:love:I’m in bling heaven :love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I’m also one who cannot truly know how I will feel about a particular design, no matter how many CADs, renderings or models, until I get it in-hand and on my finger. Even then, it takes a bit of time before I know for certain. So, it’s heartbreaking to hear you say you feel the halo was a big mistake. Sometimes you just don’t know until you try it.

I think that’s why I love working with DK and Amy. They totally understand jewelry design can be an evolutionary process, and are so awesome about making changes/modifications or even a total redesign until you’re completely thrilled.

So, while I think the halo was amazing (and really looking forward to seeing it set with your tourmaline), I am totally gobsmacked by your new three-stone. It’s remarkable and looks utterly fabulous on you! :love:

This is SO sweet of you to say, @stonewell. I felt really *guilty* for not staying with the halo / 4ct ACA. It was like I hit the holy grail (especially of size!) and said "No thanks." I was so shocked I didn't love it on me. I mean - I have size 7.5 fingers! Why would I not want a ring with 12.5mm spread?? But, while I loved it in the box, as soon as I put it on, I thought "Uh oh...."

DK and AP were SO kind about my psychotic moment and never said a word - just "We've got to get this right for you." I was SO grateful they made fixing it so problem-free. :)

And can I just say again - your K colored soli is still one of my all time fave rings on PS? And I've just had your eternity copied SHAMELESSLY! I had one done in an anniversary style - but from above, I'm hoping it looks *exactly* the same as yours! So thank you for the kind words and the inspiration. :kiss2:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is SO sweet of you to say, @stonewell. I felt really *guilty* for not staying with the halo / 4ct ACA. It was like I hit the holy grail (especially of size!) and said "No thanks." I was so shocked I didn't love it on me. I mean - I have size 7.5 fingers! Why would I not want a ring with 12.5mm spread?? But, while I loved it in the box, as soon as I put it on, I thought "Uh oh...."

DK and AP were SO kind about my psychotic moment and never said a word - just "We've got to get this right for you." I was SO grateful they made fixing it so problem-free. :)

And can I just say again - your K colored soli is still one of my all time fave rings on PS? And I've just had your eternity copied SHAMELESSLY! I had one done in an anniversary style - but from above, I'm hoping it looks *exactly* the same as yours! So thank you for the kind words and the inspiration. :kiss2:

I hear you. Sounds to me though, you’ll end up with two gorgeous rings in the end - Win/Win!

I’m so thrilled to hear you had the eternity made! It’s all DK and Amy’s design. I just told them what I disliked about the original ring I had and they worked their magic. It’s still the most comfortable and beautiful bands I own.

And... I may have a confession and a worry to share myself. I just sent my K back as trade in for a larger stone; a near 3ct. As I wait, my anxiety is building and I really, really hope I didn’t make a move I’ll regret! :oops2:

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Mrs-b, the hand shot with your anniversary ring is to die for. I love it! Very classic and elegant!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you. Sounds to me though, you’ll end up with two gorgeous rings in the end - Win/Win!

I’m so thrilled to hear you had the eternity made! It’s all DK and Amy’s design. I just told them what I disliked about the original ring I had and they worked their magic. It’s still the most comfortable and beautiful bands I own.

And... I may have a confession and a worry to share myself. I just sent my K back as trade in for a larger stone; a near 3ct. As I wait, my anxiety is building and I really, really hope I didn’t make a move I’ll regret! :oops2:

You. Did. NOT! Well, all I can say is that you have excellent taste and, if you switched out that stunner, the new stone must be awesome sauce!

Can I ask where your original stone came from, and if that's who you're doing the trade with? I am trying to get a handle on who offers what, should I ever trade up any of my stones. (No, not the new one. That stone is FOREVER.)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs-b, the hand shot with your anniversary ring is to die for. I love it! Very classic and elegant!

@Mcgregor - thank you so much! That's how I've been wearing it, tho I have asked DKJ to make me a plain, narrow band. Despite the rings I have, I gravitate most towards the plain bands, mostly because I can put on hand cream, do the washing up, wash my hands...and so on and so on, without then having to make a pit stop at the ultrasonic!

I love a classic look (ergo my brief sojourn with the VC round + pears), so telling me my new set looks classic is definitely the way to my heart!! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results