shape
carat
color
clarity

2.2 Carat Oval

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It does look like a nice 8 main oval diamond which is good for diminishing any bow tie effect, the only thing is the I color is difficult to judge in the video and photos. Are you ok with a warm tinted diamond?

Vincent Renaut

Rough_Rock
I would like the diamond to "appear" colorless as much as possible within reason.

My gf said that she would like rose gold for the metal as the setting, could this help a bit with disguising the bit of tint this diamond may have?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, going with colored metal allows you to get away with warmer diamonds, if this was a J I would say stay away but a lot of people on here have I color diamonds and are very happy. Has your girlfriend gone and looked at different color graded diamonds? Some people are very color sensitive whiles others are not.

Looking at this photo there is definitely going to be light yellow tint to the diamond, what kind of setting does she want? If it’s a halo or a micro pave the color will be more noticeable but if it’s 6-8 prong solitaire the color wont be. If the tint worries you I suggest going upping the color to a safer G and lowering the clarity.

I like this one as a safe color option
https://www.petragems.com/gia-oval-2-1ct-excellent-cut-g-color-si1-94130335/

Hopefully some of the pros can chime in and help with the search. What is your budget for the diamond only? I know you want near colorless/colorless and possibly minimum of 2 carats and we always want eye clean :))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose and yellow gold are often recommended to reduce any contrast between the ring metal and the tint of a stone - it could be useful to look at similar metal/stone combinations in local shops if you are able to.

You could even consider a bi-metal ring - have the shank in a white metal but use rose or yellow gold for the head - butit sounds like the other half would be happy with all one colour.

Don't forget to look at the Opulence Ovals from August Vintage Inc. if you want really excellent light performance.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Vincent Renaut

Rough_Rock
Yes, going with colored metal allows you to get away with warmer diamonds, if this was a J I would say stay away but a lot of people on here have I color diamonds and are very happy. Has your girlfriend gone and looked at different color graded diamonds? Some people are very color sensitive whiles others are not.

Looking at this photo there is definitely going to be light yellow tint to the diamond, what kind of setting does she want? If it’s a halo or a micro pave the color will be more noticeable but if it’s 6-8 prong solitaire the color wont be. If the tint worries you I suggest going upping the color to a safer G and lowering the clarity.

I like this one as a safe color option
https://www.petragems.com/gia-oval-2-1ct-excellent-cut-g-color-si1-94130335/

Hopefully some of the pros can chime in and help with the search. What is your budget for the diamond only? I know you want near colorless/colorless and possibly minimum of 2 carats and we always want eye clean :))

I do see what you're saying with the tint, I was hoping it was just an effect of the lighting in the video and the rose gold would limit it, but now that it's been mentioned by a couple of posters, it's the first thing I notice now.

With your alternate recommendation, I can't really tell if there is a prominent bow tie effect? I do see some darkness, however I'm still learning when it comes to spotting these types of things and can't tell if I'm actually seeing one or convincing myself one is there.

Vincent Renaut

Rough_Rock
Rose and yellow gold are often recommended to reduce any contrast between the ring metal and the tint of a stone - it could be useful to look at similar metal/stone combinations in local shops if you are able to.

You could even consider a bi-metal ring - have the shank in a white metal but use rose or yellow gold for the head - butit sounds like the other half would be happy with all one colour.

Don't forget to look at the Opulence Ovals from August Vintage Inc. if you want really excellent light performance.

Yeah I didn’t recommend any from other vendors since I wasn’t sure of OPs budget but if it’s 20k I would see if it could be stretched to snatched this baby up!

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ucts/2-41ct-h-si1-august-vintage-oval-1670852

I actually purchased this 2 carat OP from Jonathan

(https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ucts/2-01ct-i-si2-august-vintage-oval-1441167)

and I love the look of the diamond, the only thing I'm a bit underwhelmed with is the face up size. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful diamond and there is zero bow tie effect, I just find myself wondering if the trade off of the no bow-tie is worth having a 2 carat oval that looks like 1.5 carat ovals I've matched it up with in stores.

Unfortunately it was very overcast and rainy today, so I couldn't see how the OP Oval performed outside vs the in store ovals, I'm hoping to go back and take another look tomorrow if the weather is better.

Also, my girlfriend does in fact want the band and prongs to be rose gold, with smaller diamonds on the band. Do I need to worry about the contrast of the smaller diamonds to the center oval, or is the color of the band a much bigger factor?

Thanks again for all the information.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The diamond you picked faces up very white, I wouldn’t worry about the pave

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since you have it in hand, I would just compare it next to a band similar if not the same as what you are getting

Vincent Renaut

Rough_Rock
Since you have it in hand, I would just compare it next to a band similar if not the same as what you are getting

Gotcha, I'll be sure to take a look and see if the color stands out at all.

I do believe I'm going to return the current diamond though and see if AV has some larger stones with more face-up area. The stone is beautiful, I just wish the size of the stone looked more along the lines of 2 carat instead of 1.5, hence my ongoing search.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha, I'll be sure to take a look and see if the color stands out at all.

I do believe I'm going to return the current diamond though and see if AV has some larger stones with more face-up area. The stone is beautiful, I just wish the size of the stone looked more along the lines of 2 carat instead of 1.5, hence my ongoing search.

It's great that you've got an AV Oval to compare side-by-side with others :)

One of the trade-offs for maximising light performance is that it can mean a less spready stone!

I'm sure you'll find the perfect stone, shopping for good diamonds needs patience... lol :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results