shape
carat
color
clarity

So who’s planning on buying a Lightbox diamond?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be super interested to see how this plays out. The press from DeBeers on this has them playing MMD off as the inferior alternative to earth mined diamonds—there was a quote from one of the head guys about how these wee what you wore to the beach because I’d wouldn’t matter if you lost them. They are not offering engagement rings because they are marketing these as a fashion product. They are clearly angling to enter this market to devalue the product. As much as I would love to see them offer ideal cut stones, if their intent is truly to position MMD as an inferior product to earth mined diamonds, I suspect that the cut quality will not be superb.

That said, I’m absolutely thinking about a pair of 2ctw earrings. But would want a recut to super ideals. Who would do that? How much weight would you lose? And how much would that process cost?

I sent Brian Gavin an email to ask if they would recut a labcreated stone. They said, no. I’m wondering how they would identify if it was a labcreated diamond...

Anyways. I’m with you. To buy and recut would be AWESOME.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent Brian Gavin an email to ask if they would recut a labcreated stone. They said, no. I’m wondering how they would identify if it was a labcreated diamond...

I think this is going to be a key issue - finding someone to recut to Ideal standards may be difficult/impossible if cutters don't wish to be associated with MMDs due to them being labelled/sold/marketed as 'inferior'...

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock

From what I read, they will be laser inscribed with the Lightbox logo.

If I were looking for an engagement ring, I'd have zero interest in these; I want a stone larger than a carat. Studs? Sure.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair Any idea of a ballpark on what it costs to do a super ideal recut?

I think I read somewhere that it's like $450/carat?

From what I read, they will be laser inscribed with the Lightbox logo.

If I were looking for an engagement ring, I'd have zero interest in these; I want a stone larger than a carat. Studs? Sure.

Ahhhh well that makes sense. Of course they will laser inscribe them. Hmm.

Yeah for studs this would be pretty epic.

Antique Chic

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know if they will be certified? I'm guessing not since they're basically marketing it as nice costume jewelry. I would love a large blue if they grow them larger in the future. I've been waiting forever.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know if they will be certified? I'm guessing not since they're basically marketing it as nice costume jewelry. I would love a large blue if they grow them larger in the future. I've been waiting forever.

From what I understand they won't be certified. Also, I emailed them to ask about larger sizes in the future and got a hard no. I’m wondering if that will change though?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Also, the laser inscribed logo will not be on the girdle. It’s under the table in the center of the stone. I don’t know how they can do that without it being visible, but I’m anxious for someone to order one next month!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, the laser inscribed logo will not be on the girdle. It’s under the table in the center of the stone. I don’t know how they can do that without it being visible, but I’m anxious for someone to order one next month!
Interesting!! Oh man, please let me know what you think of the stone! Is it a Sept 1st launch? I live in Canada so I’m going to wait and hear about what people think before I order one.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting!! Oh man, please let me know what you think of the stone! Is it a Sept 1st launch? I live in Canada so I’m going to wait and hear about what people think before I order one.

I don’t plan on ordering one either. Maybe way down the line for a pendant or something, because the ring I’m wanting made has a nearly 2 carat center stone. I’m going with moissanite to start with, and upgrading to lab diamonds eventually maybe. I’m hoping this LB launch will one day drop the prices of other lab diamonds like BE and the like.

Still very curious to see the quality. I mean, will the stone look like it’s watermarked or something? They’re REALLY trying to do their best to devalue lab diamonds for sure.

bv_jewels

Rough_Rock
Meeeeeeeee!!!!!!

I am getting at least a 1 ct necklace , I want 2 - 1ct stones for a pair of earrings and I am thinking of having a bracelet made of the lab diamonds. ( probably .5 carat stones for the bracelet. )

They said they will be selling in september, so hopefully sooner than later! I want most of these stones set by christmas!

So you plan to buy LB's jewelry and then have the stones set as per your own custom designs?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I’m an Aussie but I figure I’ll “hit up” a US PSer and bribe them with wee gems and get what I want - hee hee.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! That’s the other thing I forgot to mention. They will only be shipping to the US. Nothing international at least to start, per their IG comments.

For those of you that have no life like me, there’s some guy that keeps commenting on every pic asking questions and it’s pretty entertaining. I seriously clicked on every IG pic they’ve posted just to read the comments. :lol-2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
So, I know a lot of you are considering studs when LB launches their new line because they’re so affordable. I got a wild hair and went to Brilliant Earth and priced out some .5 carat loose stones just to compare. You can get a .51 J SI2 Ideal for $560. This is the least expensive stone in the .49-.51 carat range. Obviously there are tons of other options in higher or lower carat weights, different color, clarity, etc. but I wanted to compare apples to apples. Knowing that the $1,000 LB studs (for 1ctw) won’t be certified, graded, or honestly probably not the best cut, color or clarity, it seems there isn’t too much of a cost difference to go the BE route. Yeah, you have to have them set, but I’m sure to replicate a 3 prong 10k stud wouldn’t be super costly.

As a matter of fact, I plan on upgrading my moissanite set I’m having made to lab diamonds one day. I was surprised to see for mid grade color and clarity and super ideal cuts, I can get a 1.75 carat center and two .75 side stones for under 10k. Maybe I’m crazy but I didn’t think that was bad at all! I can imagine these prices will only go down with time.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there for those of you that don’t wanna support deBeers and are torn on the matter. :mrgreen2:

Moissamight

Rough_Rock
I wonder if the pink ones will be very popular considering how popular morganite has been and the fact the diamonds are so much more durable than morganite.
Hmm, while I prefer the fire of moissanite, I hate that there’s no natural pink. A nice colored pink champagne type lab diamond might make me reconsider...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! That’s the other thing I forgot to mention. They will only be shipping to the US. Nothing international at least to start, per their IG comments.

For those of you that have no life like me, there’s some guy that keeps commenting on every pic asking questions and it’s pretty entertaining. I seriously clicked on every IG pic they’ve posted just to read the comments. :lol-2:
@kgizo lol

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock

Can I get them shipped to the Netherlands, though? LOL.

I'm totally going to buy one. I find them fascinating and I want a pink or blue. They are clearly trying to go for a young, fun dynamic with these (not like a "forever" diamond, that's totally different!), but I suspect it won't be too long before young men are buying the 1ct pieces and resetting it in a ring. That's something I would have done when I got engaged.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I read somewhere that it's like $450/carat?

Ahhhh well that makes sense. Of course they will laser inscribe them. Hmm.

Yeah for studs this would be pretty epic.

I thought Brian Gavin was 300 to 350 a ct.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not even on my radar!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They have an identifier in the stone.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a sucker for the moon! My kids always come running... “Mom! Look at the MOOOOOON!” My grown daughter will text me the same. It’s like a standing joke to mess with me about my love for it.

Lightbox married my “happy blue” and the moon together! Hmmmm, this is very tempting! Might have to send the link to the hubs for our anniversary or something. (Hey, I only said I wasn’t buying myself anymore pieces. LOL!:lol:)

A3A6D253-01C6-4B7F-BCB8-948E7027DAAF.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a sucker for the moon! My kids always come running... “Mom! Look at the MOOOOOON!” My grown daughter will text me the same. It’s like a standing joke to mess with me about my love for it.

Lightbox married my “happy blue” and the moon together! Hmmmm, this is very tempting! Might have to send the link to the hubs for our anniversary or something. (Hey, I only said I wasn’t buying myself anymore pieces. LOL!:lol:)

A3A6D253-01C6-4B7F-BCB8-948E7027DAAF.jpeg
I think they are very pretty :)

You will need to ask if it's 0.75ct centre stone or 0.75ctw - it seems it is the latter, going from what others have researched.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a countdown clock on the website that says "Start shopping in 1 day 19 hours 3 mins 33 sec".

Unfortunately, they have removed many of the items that were listed before. No clear solitaire diamonds in the .75-1 ct weight range. :eek2:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, no, never, nada...

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a countdown clock on the website that says "Start shopping in 1 day 19 hours 3 mins 33 sec".

Unfortunately, they have removed many of the items that were listed before. No clear solitaire diamonds in the .75-1 ct weight range. :eek2:

UGH! They had better add one! I have plans for quite a few 1ct clears!

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
From the magnified pictures, their diamonds seem to be quite well cut. Would love to hear about some reviews on cut, brilliance and fire, especially how they would compare to ideals / super ideals...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... $1k for 1ctw solitaire studs in WG...

I need to buy someone a birthday present at some point so it is tempting...

I just don't want to be a guinea pig and find out they are dull-as-dishwater in terms of light performance, then struggle to move them on!

I notice that they don't have an actual 1ct solitaire necklace, only 0.5ct round and 1ctw princess - annoying... lol

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s so dumb of them! But also, genius. Really destroying the competition and they haven’t made a single sale yet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results