shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this diamond

Garlandheather

Rough_Rock
hello. Looking to buy this diamond. Have done a lot of research. Do not see a bow tie. Can someone please give me their thoughts? It is 2.6 oval g si2excellentThanks!!! 8EA98386-BE93-4C89-8F67-A3DDCA67E862.jpeg AAE19C0E-BBD5-41B4-B2FD-60C705E4CB34.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have a video? Fancy cuts are hard to judge from still photos or certifications alone.

I'm a bit worried about SI2 clarity in that size stone, but would need more photos/video to confirm.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a 'crushed ice' stone to me, which probably means it has more small pinfire sparkle than broad flashes of coloured fire.

I would agree that it doesn't have much bow-tie, though.

You should check out August Vintage Inc. and their Opulence Ovals range - they are a different look in terms of cut, performing more like a MRB, but they also have no bow-tie.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at the stone outside of jewelers lights? Take it outside and as in many different lighting conditions as you can before you decide.

Garlandheather

Rough_Rock
No that’s a good idea. I’ll take it in other lights. Is crushed ice a bad thing?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No that’s a good idea. I’ll take it in other lights. Is crushed ice a bad thing?
Not necessarily a bad thing - @Rockdiamond likes and sells stones with the 'crushed ice' look (so can't comment on this particular stone, only discuss 'crushed ice' cuts in general) and a lot of stones are cut like that, so the market is clearly out there.

If you like them, that is perfectly fine - diamond cuts are personal preference, so no-one can tell you what you do and don't like. :))

'Crushed ice' might not be the strongest performers in terms of light return (as compared to the increased light return of the AV Opulence ovals, for example) but they do have a certain beauty and a particular 'look', and ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Just make sure to check out all the options before you buy, so that you can purchase from a position of full awareness - that's all anyone can ask and hope for :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Everyone! thanks for the mention OoohShiny!
A few things come to mind
1) the term "crushed ice" needs to be excised from discussions here IMO.
It's not specific or descriptive enough. Add to this the fact it's been tarnished by competitors posting here who promote other sorts of diamond cut. To me, a "bottomless bucket of crushed ice" sounds amazing, but on Pricesope it gets called "mushy" and other things.....
OoohShiny is correct, the look of "crushed ice" ( as I know it) is immensely popular on the market as a whole.
2) please beware of promotional claims made by sellers that a given stone "is the first and only one to" ( insert whatever claim is being made here)
As an example, there are a large number of amazing non branded oval diamonds that do have amazing light performance, while not having a bow tie.

Garlandheather- there's no way to assess the cut of the stone you're looking at with the pictures you posted. They're nice- but taking good pictures of diamonds is a skill. Even then, if the pics were amazing- no expert will make any sort of concrete assessment based on pictures.
What I look for is an even sparkle.
If a stone is using thousands of tiny flashes ( ok, crushed ice:)) I prefer an even distribution, with no large dark areas.
If an oval is using larger facets and more contrast- similar to a round brilliant, there is bound to be some darkness in the center- but as long as small movements cause the dark facets to light up, it's not a "bad" bowtie IMO.
A static dark band across the center is not attractive to most people and earned the name "bowtie".
The stone in the pics does not appear to suffer this malady- but again, no way to properly assess from the pics.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See if you can see the twinning wisps when you tilt the stone from side to side - and at angles - in many different lights that aren’t in the jewelry store. (By window, outside - sun/shade - bathroom, office.)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) the term "crushed ice" needs to be excised from discussions here IMO.
It's not specific or descriptive enough. Add to this the fact it's been tarnished by competitors posting here who promote other sorts of diamond cut. To me, a "bottomless bucket of crushed ice" sounds amazing, but on Pricesope it gets called "mushy" and other things.....
What I look for is an even sparkle.
If a stone is using thousands of tiny flashes ( ok, crushed ice:)) I prefer an even distribution, with no large dark areas.
If an oval is using larger facets and more contrast- similar to a round brilliant, there is bound to be some darkness in the center- but as long as small movements cause the dark facets to light up, it's not a "bad" bowtie IMO.

Thank you for the reply, kind sir! :))

Is there a term you would prefer in place of 'crushed ice'?

I recall I read somewhere / someone posted here about how a catchy name often sticks more than an accurate but longer name, so it may be hard to change the terminology in this case... lol

Garlandheather

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone. I think the advice to look in other light is a wonderful idea. I am doing that today!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is there a term you would prefer in place of 'crushed ice'?

Thank you!!!

I'm afraid the horse has left the barn on this one. Most people that have been here, making first-hand observations think the term is a perfect fit.
There are some very prolific members who don't like the idea of crushed ice. Repeat something enough and folks start to believe it- regardless if it's fact based.

I think the best way forward is to participate in discussions and clarify when possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results