shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Setting - Super Ideal Stone

Jnana

Rough_Rock
Good afternoon PS,

I hope to ask my love to marry me in the next few weeks. I believe that there will be benefits to having a Tiffany solitaire and it is our personal preference amongst all commercially available solitaires. Their metal work is commendable.

I quickly learned that all Tiffany stones are dogs and primarily lack real symmetry. I searched for an authentic piece that was missing the stone, this was by far the most challenging part of the project.

I obtained a stone from a top cutter/vendor and had it set. I am attempting to have the best of both worlds. I have read every post on this site that references Tiffany and there are many criticisms on the stones but nothing on the settings. What do you think?

.76 CT, G VS2, AGS 000
55.9% Table
Crown angle 34.4 - 34.8, 34.6 avg
Pav angle 40.8
61.4 depth
77 LGF

Just tight and beautiful measurements on the stone. I feel like this is the nicest stone a Tiffany ring ever touched.

IMG_20180922_134537710.jpg IMG_20180922_134317107_HDR.jpg IMG_20180922_134049716_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_133927100_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180922_133927100_HDR.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 13

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks lovely... best of both worlds. :) I would also go ahead and get her a Tiffany band to match. Please do come back and post hand shots once you've proposed.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not all Tiffany diamonds are dogs but most do not fall within the super ideal range. Symmetry is only one part of a diamond's cut and I don't know about theirs being any worse than other stones. It is just in terms of value that many find the Tiffany diamond overpriced for what it is. However, having said all of that, many folks buy their diamonds and treasure them for what they are.

Where did you get the Tiffany setting? Did you buy a pre-loved ring and find another diamond to set in it?

Jnana

Rough_Rock
Not all Tiffany diamonds are dogs but most do not fall within the super ideal range. Symmetry is only one part of a diamond's cut and I don't know about theirs being any worse than other stones. It is just in terms of value that many find the Tiffany diamond overpriced for what it is. However, having said all of that, many folks buy their diamonds and treasure them for what they are.

Where did you get the Tiffany setting? Did you buy a pre-loved ring and find another diamond to set in it?

That is correct. It took a while to find the ring. I had a high end jeweler in my city complete the work. This is the stone. The total cost of this project was $5,100. A pretty insane value in my opinion.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4013668.htm

View attachment 650183 View attachment 650182 View attachment 650181

Last edited:

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I can’t tell by your pictures if the outer box is missing the lid, or you just didn’t photograph it.

But Tiffany has some cool bone-china boxes you can get if you’re unable to find the complete external box.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting solution to this dilemma.

Does the mount contain any information about the original stone - I believe carat is sometimes engraved into the shank?

What benefits do you feel your solution (using a genuine Tiffany mount) will have, other than of course satisfying your aesthetic preference? I agree re. aesthetic: the Tiffany solitaire is a thing of beauty that surpasses all competitors.

Is your intended aware of the details regarding authenticity? Asking because I note you’ve chosen Tiffany packaging as your backdrop in all photos.
I’ll confess that I’m personally uncomfortable with this end state as presented - with photos that create the impression of an authentic Tiffany article, but my discomfort isn’t really your problem. I would strongly advise against ever having Tiffany work on this ring, however, as I’m confident I know what their stance would be!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of curiosity... how does a Tiffany mount sans diamond come to be? What happened to the original stone such that its missing but its mount is in saleable condition? Why were diamond and mount separated - hugely devaluing both? @Jnana do you have any insight?

Jnana

Rough_Rock
Interesting solution to this dilemma.

Does the mount contain any information about the original stone - I believe carat is sometimes engraved into the shank?

What benefits do you feel your solution (using a genuine Tiffany mount) will have, other than of course satisfying your aesthetic preference? I agree re. aesthetic: the Tiffany solitaire is a thing of beauty that surpasses all competitors.

Is your intended aware of the details regarding authenticity? Asking because I note you’ve chosen Tiffany packaging as your backdrop in all photos.
I’ll confess that I’m personally uncomfortable with this end state as presented - with photos that create the impression of an authentic Tiffany article, but my discomfort isn’t really your problem. I would strongly advise against ever having Tiffany work on this ring, however, as I’m confident I know what their stance would be!

The hallmarks all look great and I replaced it with the same size stone. I definitely believe in using all of the original packaging. This is as authentic as can be, imo. The only way that it is not is in its complete superiority to any stone that Tiffany has ever carried. I'm not saying that this is better than what Tiffany is capable of... Well, I guess I am.

Jnana

Rough_Rock
Out of curiosity... how does a Tiffany mount sans diamond come to be? What happened to the original stone such that its missing but its mount is in saleable condition? Why were diamond and mount separated - hugely devaluing both? @Jnana do you have any insight?

Not too much history on the setting, I assume the diamond was sold at a pawn shop by some hobo years ago. The setting was owned by a watch repair shop in TX (out of state for me). It took contacting may shops before someone referred me there.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful! I love the Tiffany setting but also prefer being able to choose my own diamond.

How did you get the Tiffany ring box?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • The hallmarks all look great and I replaced it with the same size stone. I definitely believe in using all of the original packaging. This is as authentic as can be, imo. The only way that it is not is in its complete superiority to any stone that Tiffany has ever carried. I'm not saying that this is better than what Tiffany is capable of... Well, I guess I am.

Your opinion regarding authenticity and Tiffany’s will not match. Your opinion and your insurer’s also will not match, if you attempt to insure this as a Tiffany piece. Just want to be extra clear regarding this!

Perhaps one day Tiffany and other big houses will sell precision-cut stones... one can hope!!

Jnana

Rough_Rock
That's beautiful! I love the Tiffany setting but also prefer being able to choose my own diamond.

How did you get the Tiffany ring box?

The box was purchased, I'm hoping that she isn't too attached after it is all said and done because I would love to resell it. These things are $200.

To address some earlier questions: She is completely on board with pre loved although it looks new to me now. Some previous owner did lose a ton of value removing that stone, perhaps it fell out.

I am confident Tiffany won't work on this ring, it is a billboard of how chunky their rocks are. One downside that some express is the number of similar solitaires. This one is more one of a kind than most.

I will likely add a half eternity prior to the wedding, it will be fun comparing this stone to the ones in the boutique.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The box was purchased, I'm hoping that she isn't too attached after it is all said and done because I would love to resell it. These things are $200.

To address some earlier questions: She is completely on board with pre loved although it looks new to me now. Some previous owner did lose a ton of value removing that stone, perhaps it fell out.

I am confident Tiffany won't work on this ring, it is a billboard of how chunky their rocks are. One downside that some express is the number of similar solitaires. This one is more one of a kind than most.

I will likely add a half eternity prior to the wedding, it will be fun comparing this stone to the ones in the boutique.
Please don’t sell the box. It’s beautiful and part of your presentation and gift to her. Don’t take it back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results