shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring help, please!!

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hmm i sent him over pictures of soxs and bliss’s 5 stone rings and he was looking at them while we were chatting. Maybe he meant those settings are less secure than a u prong setting??

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Brian has made a wax of a ring which he thinks will be pleasing to me, he said it sits lower than the u prong I initially had and will wrap around my fingers better.

I've decided to keep the .40 stones, and wanted a setting in which the stones curved better around the fingers, and I also liked the scalloped look of the stones in Sox's and Bliss's 5 stone setting.

Anyways! Thoughts on the below, please, and thank you!!!

5645_AdjustedWax.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Brian has made a wax of a ring which he thinks will be pleasing to me, he said it sits lower than the u prong I initially had and will wrap around my fingers better.

I've decided to keep the .40 stones, and wanted a setting in which the stones curved better around the fingers, and I also liked the scalloped look of the stones in Sox's and Bliss's 5 stone setting.

Anyways! Thoughts on the below, please, and thank you!!!

5645_AdjustedWax.jpg

Love it! This is similar to their dream band design. I really hope that this version of the ring pleases you!

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Simone. Your opinion means a lot! Do you think the setting will give me that scalloped look that I like? Anything I should ask him to change or specify before I give him the all clear to proceed with the ring?!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spoke to Brian - and we will decide what to do with the ring once it is returned back to him.

However, he did stress to me that a 5 stone ring in a shared prong setting may not be as secure and offer as much protection as other settings. Soxfan, and for those who have the 5 stone in a shared prong, do you feel that the stones are very secure, especially concerning the girdle?

A 5 stone in a shared prong setting is pretty much the most secure setting you can get. He sold you a U-prong setting before, HOW does he think that is more secure than a shared prong? Not really understanding his reasoning.

Maybe he means the pinched-in prongs? My ring and Bliss' have much more pinched in prongs, giving a beautiful scalloped look. Perhaps he can't (or won't) do the pinched-in prongs?

My ring is VERY secure. I have insurance, so I don't really worry about knocking a diamond.

Thanks Simone. Your opinion means a lot! Do you think the setting will give me that scalloped look that I like? Anything I should ask him to change or specify before I give him the all clear to proceed with the ring?!

I hope that this is the fix for you. But I have to tell you, I really think if you want that "scalloped" look you like, you need to specify pinched in prongs or you have to go to .30 stones.

I just don't want you to have to keep repeating this process:) Good luck!

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Sox, but what do you mean about pinched in prongs and how do I describe it to Brian! Do you think the wax setting he has made resembles yours?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Sox, but what do you mean about pinched in prongs and how do I describe it to Brian! Do you think the wax setting he has made resembles yours?

Pinched in prongs vs. regular prongs. The FIRST pic is one off this thread. See how the prongs are closer to the edge of the ring and far apart?

Wedding_b2.jpg

MY ring with pinched in prongs- see how the prongs are in the middle of the stone rather than the edge?

IMG_0452.jpg

And I have no idea if the wax setting resembles mine because its a side picture. I cannot see the top.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh, great point, Sox, and thanks for the pics, I definitely see your point now and will revert back to Brian! :)

galatie

Shiny_Rock
And not to sound like a total novice, but can someone please explain to me while having a lower setting would help for the stones to wrap around the finger better?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And not to sound like a total novice, but can someone please explain to me while having a lower setting would help for the stones to wrap around the finger better?

I think it just pulls the stones closer to your finger? So it kind of "hugs" more.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If stones are set lower to your finger, the ‘circle’ they form around your finger will have a smaller diameter than if the stones were set higher off your finger and therefore formed part of a larger circle. The smaller the circle, the sharper the angles between stones needed to bend to that circle. That greater bend between stones then looks more wrapped around the finger than a flatter line of stones would.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
403021F9-F4D8-4F8E-9328-DF9A331E931F.jpeg

Here is a photo of the top of the ring.

Thoughts?!

Think the prongs need to be more pinched in?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
403021f9-f4d8-4f8e-9328-df9a331e931f-jpeg.649873

Here is a photo of the top of the ring.

Thoughts?!

This is a fabulous idea! Can you shrink it to 91.5% to confirm the size of the stones? Also, could you post a picture with the band on which finger you'd like to wear it and lower on the finger? 4.35/4.75=91.5%

I think pinching the prongs would push the stones even further along your finger, so while I prefer the pinched prongs look, I would only do so with smaller stones.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

I'm back. Well, here is the cad image of the 5 stone Brian wants to produce for me. We have decided to keep the .40s, but to put it in a shared prong setting instead of the u prong. Brian made the ring sit as low as possible, and also wrapped it as tight as possible so that it will curve around my finger. I asked for the prongs to be pinched in, and he said he can pinch them in slightly more than the images attached, but it won't be as extreme as the 5 stone by ID Jewelry, as he believes that pinching them in too much will leave the stones too exposed, and subject to more potential impact. I wouldn't necessarily agree with his philosophy but I can live with that.

We are almost there, but now are trying to decide on the width of the band. Brian's wax initially had the band at 3 mm wide. I felt that it was slightly too chunky. My engagement ring band is 2.5 mm wide and I wanted something similar. The image below shows the ring with a 2.5mm band.

For those of you with a 5 stone, especially with .40 pointers, can you tell me how wide your band is? Is 2.5mm too narrow? Should I keep the initial 3mm, or go in between and slim it down to 2.8mm? Not sure how this will all look, and just want to get this ring made already!

Any advice please, before we finally send this ring off to production!

thumbnail_2902_Latina Soens2.5mm wide shank.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A .40ct diamond will be around 4.8 mm, so with a 2.5 mm band, your stones’ girdles will hang out by over a half mm on each side. If you wear it next to another ring, those girdles will rub the metal and wear it away.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Do you think I should stick with the original 3mm or 2.8 would be ok?

galatie

Shiny_Rock
And I will also be wearing it as a stand alone ring on my right hand, if it makes any difference

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Someone help, please! I have to authorise the order soon, so that I can get before I move halfway across the world to Singapore!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally (for myself) I would go with what BGD suggests. This takes into account that the wax prolly was chunkier because they’ll end up polishing and refining the finished product. Also, if after you get it, it still seems too much, it can be further refined to thin it a smidge, whereas you cannot make it wider.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the advice.

Simone, you have been so helpful in all of this.... would you keep it as 3mm or reduce to 2.8 or 2.5?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the advice.

Simone, you have been so helpful in all of this.... would you keep it as 3mm or reduce to 2.8 or 2.5?

Hi again.

I would prefer that the shank be wider. 2.5 is thin, 2.8-3mm would be my preference. You can also do a a graduating shank form 3mm at the top to 2.8 at the bottom. If you are right handed, the sturdier the ring, the better. I would ask for comfort fit.

Also, one think to consider is tab prongs for the end stones to make the ring more comfortable, similar to this:
EBCFCD3A-783D-4D4B-BAC5-98D724263717.jpeg

To me, that will really ensure that the ring is comfortable between the fingers.

You can see how T&Co’s five stone band gradually narrows down at the bottom. I wouldn’t do the bottonfo the ring too thin, just because it wears off with time.

A0F3FE58-3EF0-471F-B4CC-D96E14448C1D.jpeg

Last edited:

galatie

Shiny_Rock
I finally received my ring from BG, and to be honest, still really unhappy. am at my wit's end and at this point, don't know what to do. I told Brian to make the shank of the ring a tad less chunky, so 2.8mm instead of the 3.0mm it was initially. Please see pics of what was returned to me. The band is so so thin, esp compared to the front of the ring. And I believe it is also a knife edge band, as it slopes and meets in the middle? And it looks way thinner than 2.8mm? Attached is a comparison pic of my engagement ring, which is 2.5mm. What can I do now? So frustrated.

IMG_0686 (1).jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 31

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Without wishing to sound harsh, that looks very much like the CADs to me (the angles your pictures show, anyway). How do you feel about the top of the ring? If you’re still unsure, and it very much sounds like you are, you have the option of selling this preloved and buying something ‘off the shelf’, so you see and understand exactly what it is you’ll be getting.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You’re unhappy with the band? How is the rest of the ring? Is it more comfortable? Do the diamonds wrap the way you wanted them too? How are the prongs? It definitely looks like a knife edge. Did you specify band details? Did you request a half round band? Knife edge does always look thinner than a domed band. You know that your ring is 2.5mm for sure? Does it really matter for you if it is going to be a stand alone ring? If you loved all other parts of course! Sorry your frustrated. Let’s see more pics of the whole ring and on your finger too. Hard to make suggestions without all this other info.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about the other parts of the ring? Are you finally happy with the curvature?

galatie

Shiny_Rock
The rest of the ring is ok. Seems to curve slightly better now that it sits lower in a shared basket setting vs. u prong. Brian would not pinch in the prongs for me as much as yours, Sox, as he said he thought it was too extreme and it would leave too much of the girdles exposed... so I asked him to pinch in as much as he thought possible.

Thinking of just handing this over to ID Jewelry the next time I am in NY, and having them put the loose stones in a new setting?

IMG_0690.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 41

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that looks lovely from the top and is noticeably tighter/more curved to your finger than the first iterations. But you don’t sound happy? Is it just the thinness at the back that’s bothering you, or is the knife-edge uncomfortable? The band at the back looks deep enough to compensate for being fairly thin in width.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!

Front looks fine, the thinnest of the band doesn’t look that nice to me. It is, however, super comfortable to wear, so maybe I should just keep as is?

I think that looks lovely from the top and is noticeably tighter/more curved to your finger than the first iterations. But you don’t sound happy? Is it just the thinness at the back that’s bothering you, or is the knife-edge uncomfortable? The band at the back looks deep enough to compensate for being fairly thin in width.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The top down looks great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results