shape
carat
color
clarity

I finally reserved a diamond. Opinions/Alternatives?

ZFA808

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks trying to gain enough knowledge to purchase an engagement ring. I just put a diamond on hold at whiteflash and was wondering if there's anything I should be concerned about, or if there's something else I should consider in my price range.

Looking for
1+ carat
Round Ideal cut
budget 7-8.5k
I'm not super color sensitive but my gf might be.

The diamond I have reserved is :
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4022281.htm

I'm waiting for a call from them to talk over the details a little further. I picked this one off the cuff so I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks all

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorg! I have an I VS2 ACA and absolutely love it!

ZFA808

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Hmm that BG offering certainly looks nice to my admittedly untrained eye.

Are there any pros/cons regarding WF vs BG?

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Hmm that BG offering certainly looks nice to my admittedly untrained eye.

From a quality stand-point... I think the two are very comparable. I don't think BGD's "Black by Brian Gavin" or "Signature" is materially better or worse than the ACA line from Whiteflash. Customer service when working with both vendors has been very good in my experience. They both use AGS certs and seem to stake their reputations on the quality of their house-held diamonds.

WF has better upgrade options and has a wider selection of standard diamonds. BGD has some "Blue" and "Cape" lines, but these seem more niche.

For me, the reason I went with BGD was his setting. BGD offers an awesome "Brian Gavin 810 collection" setting (see my avatar pic) that wouldn't make sense to try and have WF reproduce. For me, WF had the marginally better stone (like the slimmest of margins) and slightly better pricing than BGD.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock

Both have great reputations and diamonds, IMO. My engagement ring is from Whiteflash. That said, I would not pay more money to go to a VVS stone and a smaller one to boot. I'd call WF and ask them to look at the cloud, but really a VS2 is likely fine. If you wanted to change anything and stretch the budget, maybe go up a smidgen in color. I am VERY color sensitive and I have I's from WF in my three stone engagement ring. However, I chose them myself (or communicated to my fiancé where to compromise) in order to get the size I was hoping for. Most times they look extremely white and probably would look even whiter if I didn't have a D pear as a right hand ring. It's a gorgeous ring. With this said, if you think there is *any* chance she could be disappointed in an I, you might want to find out before such a large purchase. Or hedge your bets and go for a G/H. I may try to gauge her preferences, though. She may say SIZE and want a J/K SI-2. Or an exquisite D IF. If you're truly guessing, may be best to split the difference.;-)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There isn’t anything to be concerned about, that stone is gorgeous. =)2Z

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Both have great reputations and diamonds, IMO. My engagement ring is from Whiteflash. That said, I would not pay more money to go to a VVS stone and a smaller one to boot. I'd call WF and ask them to look at the cloud, but really a VS2 is likely fine.

I agree that VS2 should be ok in most circumstances ... but it's this view that is problematic (10 o'clock on the table of the diamond).

OP, if you're just buying the loose stone, WF has a return policy so you can get it and decide for yourself if it makes sense for you when you view the stone under your own normal lighting conditions in a temporary setting. I just think the location of the cloud inclusion is unfortunate in this instance on a VS2.

The cloud is a pretty big crescent shape visible at a slight tilt-angle, and I think you'd have to inspect this in person to be comfortable that it's either visible or not visible without magnification.

Computer screens are 72 dpi while most eyes are able to see 300 to 400 dpi.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's no question that I'd choose a larger VS2 over a smaller VVS. I think the Whiteflash stone looks fine.

As to color, if she is color sensitive, you might be better off going with H color, but the cut of an ACA makes the stone so bright and beautiful that the color is not so apparent except when the environmental color is affecting it.

That said, these are close to the same size and H color. I'd probably bump to the H, personally.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3988010.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4011142.htm

ZFA808

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the replies. I think I agree a little with all points. It's hard for me to unsee the inclusion and I have a nagging feeling my gf calls me colorblind enough to seriously consider going up in color.

I spoke with Michelle at WF and she said the cloud is eye clean and not easy to see under magnification. She said the 1.083 H has a crystal that is easier to see under magnification than the cloud on the I. The color difference on the H is comparable from the top but slightly visible from the side. She characterized the I as as a solid I, not a high I or low.

I'm kind of split between the 1.083 H and the 1.17 I, but I'm leaning towards the H for piece of mind. Though the more visible crystal does give me some pause. Any other thoughts or contenders? Grateful for all the advice so far!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the replies. I think I agree a little with all points. It's hard for me to unsee the inclusion and I have a nagging feeling my gf calls me colorblind enough to seriously consider going up in color.

I spoke with Michelle at WF and she said the cloud is eye clean and not easy to see under magnification. She said the 1.083 H has a crystal that is easier to see under magnification than the cloud on the I. The color difference on the H is comparable from the top but slightly visible from the side. She characterized the I as as a solid I, not a high I or low.

I'm kind of split between the 1.083 H and the 1.17 I, but I'm leaning towards the H for piece of mind. Though the more visible crystal does give me some pause. Any other thoughts or contenders? Grateful for all the advice so far!

Did Michelle from WF think the crystal would be visible to the naked eye if your fiancée looked at it up close and tilted it around? I'm on the fence. I think I could totally live with the crystal she is describing, but your girlfriend could be different. I wear contacts and when I take them out and look at the table of my stone on a tilt close up I can kind of see one of my crystals. It bothers me 0%. But that's me, not your girlfriend. A cleaner diamond to her eye might trump color. Is this a surprise proposal? Is there any way to get her take on which of the 4cs she prioritizes most? I don't think any of these could be a bad choice, but I'm sure you want to try to figure out the one she'd like most.:)

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
There's no question that I'd choose a larger VS2 over a smaller VVS. I think the Whiteflash stone looks fine.

As to color, if she is color sensitive, you might be better off going with H color, but the cut of an ACA makes the stone so bright and beautiful that the color is not so apparent except when the environmental color is affecting it.

That said, these are close to the same size and H color. I'd probably bump to the H, personally.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3988010.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4011142.htm

As usual, DS this is a good post and fair assessment. A super ideal H is safe for most. For me, an H would still be a compromise so I went I and bigger. However, many say the leap from H to I is where things can become more noticeable. And by noticeable, I don't mean yellow. Just a hint of a tint if you are in certain lighting and have a mental point of comparison.

Also, did you mention what kind of setting you're doing? That could influence choice as well. I literally never noticed any tint in my I in rose gold. I can see it now a little in platinum, though I know what I'm looking for.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Is there any way to get her take on which of the 4cs she prioritizes most?

Lol that’s a dangerous question!

When I asked my FF which of the 4C’s is most important.... she said “All of them are important, that’s a dumb question.”

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Lol that’s a dangerous question!

When I asked my FF which of the 4C’s is most important.... she said “All of them are important, that’s a dumb question.”

Actually that does help! If she says that then you're probably okay to go middle of the road on all Cs. If she says SIZE first, aim for lower near colorless and eye clean, etc., etc...

ETA: I do think a lot of guys are afraid to ask in case their fiancée gives them specs they can't attain. But most women are reasonable and will compromise? I just think any "compromising" should have partner input. But again, this is only MY take and others may feel differently.

ZFA808

Rough_Rock
Did Michelle from WF think the crystal would be visible to the naked eye if your fiancée looked at it up close and tilted it around?

I believe she said they were both similar by eye as in you can't see the cloud or the crystal without magnification.

It is a surprise proposal, otherwise I'd gladly take the passenger seat on this one. :lol: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that she'd likely not care about any of the details in this thread unless I pointed them out.

I'm not really sure about the setting. I was thinking about a simple 6 prong for now and we/she can design the "real" setting later. I don't think the details matter so much to her so long as the end result is "pretty." haha

Good points about compromises. I do kinda feel like a H is still a compromise but I think I'd sacrifice too much to go up any farther.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe she said they were both similar by eye as in you can't see the cloud or the crystal without magnification.

It is a surprise proposal, otherwise I'd gladly take the passenger seat on this one. :lol: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that she'd likely not care about any of the details in this thread unless I pointed them out.

I'm not really sure about the setting. I was thinking about a simple 6 prong for now and we/she can design the "real" setting later. I don't think the details matter so much to her so long as the end result is "pretty." haha

Good points about compromises. I do kinda feel like a H is still a compromise but I think I'd sacrifice too much to go up any farther.

IMHO, if they are both eye clean (e.g. need magnification to see inclusions), then they are even in terms of clarity. It's very rare that anyone (who isn't on Ps) is going to loupe their stone and get upset about something they can't see with the naked eye. So now you're down to color and size. I'd personally go w the larger stone, but I'm not your GF and don't mind H/I color at all.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock

If it has to be a surprise, I think the H is probably pretty safe. FWIW, I had the WF exquisite solitaire initially and it was gorgeous. I actually miss it, even with as pretty as my current ring is. Might be an option. It stinks to "waste" setting money, but it might be smart to go simple but nice enough to keep as a forever ring if she did want a solitaire or is sentimental about her proposal ring. Again, it would be so helpful to know what she'd want for sure.;-) You do know for sure she wants a round though, right?

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Lol what? We need a poll for whether guys chuckled after reading this :lol:

Aww come on, give us more credit! I am admittedly a huge PITA (with a heart of gold), but even I compromised...a little.:)

Didn't compromise on my husband, though. He's the best.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
The 1.138 H VS2 is an excellent choice. The 1.17 I VS2 is also amazing, but G/H is my preference for color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results