shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 or 1.75 carat diamond solitaire for a size 6?

burntorangeskies

Rough_Rock
I know the theme is usually bigger is always better, but I’m really stuck between these two sizes for a 6 prong Tiffany style classic solitaire. There is a significant difference in spread and I’m struggling because 1.5 is a good size, but 1.75 is not much further of a budget stretch. I also live in an area (New Hampshire) where 1.5 carats is considered large and it would also be one of the bigger rings in my family. I obviously worry a bit about looking too “showy,” but really I’m just a lover of diamonds and all things sparkly. Stick with 1.5 and save the money, or go for the 1.75? Regardless, I definitely see myself upgrading again someday down the line. Also, if you have photos of either size I’d love to see!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size are your fingers? I think that will make a significant difference in terms of how "big" stones look on people.

Also, have you looked at diamdb? It is my favorite way to visually compare stone sizes. It lets you input your finger size, and the specific mm of the stones in question. I think that helps people really get a sense of what size of stone they'd personally prefer.

burntorangeskies

Rough_Rock
What size are your fingers? I think that will make a significant difference in terms of how "big" stones look on people.

Also, have you looked at diamdb? It is my favorite way to visually compare stone sizes. It lets you input your finger size, and the specific mm of the stones in question. I think that helps people really get a sense of what size of stone they'd personally prefer.

5.75-6, they are long and slender. I have played with diamdb quite a bit! I’ve even tried the stone sizes in person. I’m just struggling mentally at this point I think. The only thing I know is that 2 carat was definitely “too” much for this point (I know, I’m crazy)!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
shady2.jpg BGD.jpg top_down.jpg

1.7 carats on a size 4.5 finger

And 1.7 carats on a size 6 finger:

photo_1_110.jpg

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
15A34D68-12B6-448C-8DC4-B6DCA563FA78.jpeg D7267BED-8062-4938-994A-4B855B60C690.jpeg 9B70067F-80DC-47B5-8CAC-856D85D1E945.jpeg

A 1.514 in a size 5.5 Vatche U-113.

I thought a 1.7 or 2.0 would be nice, but she decided a 1.5 was just right.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP do you have mind particular diamonds or are you open to shopping online? We usually prefer shopping online as you can get a better value for the money, upgrade policies, etc.

The most important thing for a stone is the cut and yhatshpikd not be compromised. For a round stone, it is safe to follow the below cut criteria:

Table: 53-58
Depth: 60-62.4 (no more than that, because the stone will face up smaller)
Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Have you seen different diamond colors in person? Do you know if you are sensitive to color? What about clarity?

Lastly, could you please share your budget?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say go with a vendor that has easy upgrades. Get the 1.5 then 5 years down the road when its feeling small, go for the 1.75 or bigger.

burntorangeskies

Rough_Rock

Hi Simone. Thanks so much. I have been looking online and using both the HCA and the AGS/GIA cur estimator tools to make sure I’m choosing a good stone. I’m pretty comfortable with diamond knowledge, I’m just really struggling on what size to choose. I always think I want a super white stone because I’m quite color sensitive but my eye is drawn to warmer ones.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Simone. Thanks so much. I have been looking online and using both the HCA and the AGS/GIA cur estimator tools to make sure I’m choosing a good stone. I’m pretty comfortable with diamond knowledge, I’m just really struggling on what size to choose. I always think I want a super white stone because I’m quite color sensitive but my eye is drawn to warmer ones.

Don’t forget that there is in between size as well. 1.6ct can also look lovely.

Would you share your budget? We can definitely help you find a well cut stone. Also, there is a sognificant price difference between colorless and near colorless stones. Depending on what you want, color might also dictate the end size.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 1.75ct is a lovely, elegant size. It's substantial without being flashy, and would look very proportional on your size 6 finger.

These days, so many people have larger diamonds, colored stones, or simulants, a larger stone is not as unusual, or as indicative of money spent, as it once was. Have what you love.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a guy so I can't help with your direct size issue, but maybe I can help with the mental aspect. I grew up without much money, but lots of love. I've also had a strong work ethic and consequently found some success at a very young age. I quickly surpassed many of my friends and family members in materialistic areas. I remember struggling with it immensely when it first happened. I was always humble and respectful about it.

Yet, no matter what others can always find a way to be envious and jealous if they so choose. As such, I had some tough conversations with different people over the years and even distanced (and cut) a few from my life as well.

It took me awhile to realize it was more their problem than mine. I've always made my home open to my friends & family and would give the shirt off my back for them.

As such I've been very blessed to have friends with $20 to their name and others that are millionaires. One of the lessons I learned and keep near to my heart is that a person's true worth is determined by way more than their bank account will ever show. I've know good & bad people all through the spectrum. Some rich people are great, others suck. The same can be said about poor and middle income people as well.

If you keep trying to serve someone else, you will always be a slave. You need to find peace with who you are and be confident in those decisions, and simply treat others as you'd want to be treated and issues like that will work themselves out. Your circle may change, but not because of money -- it will be because people showed you their true colors and you had the knowledge to see it and the ability to tighten the circle a little.

All that said, buy the diamond that makes you happy. If myself, or others can help with the specifics, we'd love an opportunity. :cool2:

jamesallenrings

Rough_Rock
What's the price difference between the two stones? That will help determine which stone is the better value.

burntorangeskies

Rough_Rock

Sledge, your words brought tears to my eyes. You so eloquently explocated the struggle I’m experiencing. We make a fair bit more than our families and I definitely feel guilty about it. Both of our sets of parents came from nothing and worked hard to make a life for us. I feel guilty spending the money on this even though it’s really what I want. I even thought about just going back to a lovely 1 carat solitaire so that I don’t draw attention and make anyone uncomfortable. If it wasn’t for the mental aspect I would go even bigger than 1.75, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I know I should focus less on size and also weigh in on quality, but I’m pretty set on G or H and VS2 with an excellent cut and scores. That basically just narrows it down to size.

burntorangeskies

Rough_Rock
What's the price difference between the two stones? That will help determine which stone is the better value.
$2-4K. I’m looking at a couple of stones right now, but that is the range of price difference from 1.47-1.8

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are already thinking of upgrading, go with the 1.75 ct now.

ETA - @sledge, I love your line "If you keep trying to serve someone else, you will always be a slave."

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the diamond that makes your heart sing. It's going to be on your hand & not members of your family or friends. Love it & enjoy it! If you are not a showy person, then nobody is suddenly going to judge you on something that makes you incredibly happy to own.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post the specs here so others can evaluate.

Also make sure you have a generous upgrade policy (like HPD, WF) in case you later decide for the 1.998 F VS1.

@sledge :love: You are one soft, fluffy, hardass!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what, if other people aren’t happy for you to be doing well, that’s their problem!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yay! I was about to find pictures for you, but I think you made the right decision! I think 1.75 is a great forever size for the vast majority of places, but if you think there's any chance you'd ever upgrade, I'd for sure buy from a vendor like Whiteflash that has a great upgrade policy! (Don't ask me how I know...:lol:)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a 1.75ct on a size 4.25 finger.
Rachel.JPG

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is a 1.74 ct 7.6mm Fancy light grayish greenish yellow diamond on a size 6 finger. Both my wedding band and diamond shank measure 3mm, which I'm finding out some thing is quite thick. I like it though. Feels solid. But sometimes I wonder if it makes the diamond appear smaller? Or maybe after 2 years it's DSS!;)2 20180918_085517.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you choose the 1.75, you won’t want to upgrade as fast.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a guy so I can't help with your direct size issue, but maybe I can help with the mental aspect. I grew up without much money, but lots of love. I've also had a strong work ethic and consequently found some success at a very young age. I quickly surpassed many of my friends and family members in materialistic areas. I remember struggling with it immensely when it first happened. I was always humble and respectful about it.

Yet, no matter what others can always find a way to be envious and jealous if they so choose. As such, I had some tough conversations with different people over the years and even distanced (and cut) a few from my life as well.

It took me awhile to realize it was more their problem than mine. I've always made my home open to my friends & family and would give the shirt off my back for them.

As such I've been very blessed to have friends with $20 to their name and others that are millionaires. One of the lessons I learned and keep near to my heart is that a person's true worth is determined by way more than their bank account will ever show. I've know good & bad people all through the spectrum. Some rich people are great, others suck. The same can be said about poor and middle income people as well.

If you keep trying to serve someone else, you will always be a slave. You need to find peace with who you are and be confident in those decisions, and simply treat others as you'd want to be treated and issues like that will work themselves out. Your circle may change, but not because of money -- it will be because people showed you their true colors and you had the knowledge to see it and the ability to tighten the circle a little.

All that said, buy the diamond that makes you happy. If myself, or others can help with the specifics, we'd love an opportunity. :cool2:
You are a good man sledge..I struggle with these issues myself..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results