shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Moissy - may

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I usually hang out on the CS and other forums and just made my way over here. Just looking for suggestions but not ready to act soon. This post is long so I apologize!

My original ering (my husband and I call it “original bling”) is made from his great grandmother’s cocktail ring. The stone is a good size (7 mm x 7.2 mm) and I presume OEC. My guess is that it’s an M-P probably and is a decent stone but not great. It came from this setting (which is so dirty that I can see the dirt with the naked eye!).
10D6355A-59DE-4184-A8BB-E7A0C15F9295.jpeg

Original bling:
3B6AFAA0-4D7E-4451-898B-2594021B65B7.jpeg

Full disclosure- I have a few wedding sets as I prefer smaller stones and DH prefers colored so I get to swap out based on my mood. I’m really lucky.

So DH has said from day one that he doesn’t like diamonds. He gave me original bling since it was in the family. I rarely wear it (like a few times a year rarely). The stone is too big for me and it’s a bit of a dud for a solitaire but looked okay in the cocktail ring. We had discussed putting the cocktail ring back together (which I think we should do) and getting a smaller colored stone for the ering setting (I’d get the head redone to fit it). Now that I’m really talking about doing it, he’s pulling the sentimental card, which is funny because for over a decade he told me that he cared about the setting, not the stone. The setting was overpriced (this was before PS!) but it is solid and well made.

So, finally to my question - what about a good quality OEC Moissy in the ering? That would allow me to get the cocktail ring back to original and get a solitaire stone that looks better. And which brand of Moissy would you choose for this project? A diamond is out of my budget for this plus I rarely wear it so it wouldn’t be worth it. I’d like to be able to give the cocktail ring to someone in his family as it isn’t sentimental to me at all. I’d have to sell DH on the plan but if it looks like original ering because it has a clear, antique looking stone, he may be on board.

Another note - I feel that men should always let their intended pick out their own engagement and wedding rings! I picked up a nice quality but preloved set this year that I love and wear almost every day. It cost less than just the setting of original bling did 12 years ago and is right up my alley. I don’t have much sentimentality attached to things, just wish we were more practical from the start. And - the jeweler kept saying that I’d suffer from DSS and that I really should use the family stone - I’m the rare woman who doesn’t have that affliction!

Thanks for reading this far!

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your e-ring is very pretty.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are lots of great choices for oec moissy now! I think the best is Jonathan's AVRs. They are cut to order and look fantastic. I have an older 6.5mm FB OEC that I love, but it gets that dreaded "oil slick" on it sometimes, which I hate. MoissaniteCo has nice ones now as well, and there are also choices from Chinese vendors listed in other threads (tianyu and starsgems). I think it depends on how perfect you want it to be, and what your budget is. If I wanted the best, I'd go with the AVR, but if I wanted a "sometimes" stone and didn't want to spend as much, I'd feel totally comfortable buying from any of the others mentioned above.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this @lovedogs! I know nothing about moissanite. I looked at the website for AVRs and I love them! I ran the plan by DH and he wasn’t sure. I may do it anyway as I really want to reunite the family cocktail ring and there is same bad juju on the stone that I never did like on my finger for something was supposed to represent love and faithfulness (the male relative bought the female relative many jewels, including this one, to placate her because of his philandering ways). I’m not at all superstitious yet it’s always bothered me. In a cocktail ring, I don’t care! And neither would whatever family member we gifted it to. If I didn’t know the history, I wouldn’t care (I love estate pieces and have a few) but because I know, it bothers me!

I’ll check out the other options, too. Thanks!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all of these ideas! You will probably love OEC moissanite :)
Maybe start with a cheaper one from Tianyu or starsgem and then upgrade to an August vintage if you still like.

I’d love to see the set you rock daily?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great advice @pearaffair.

This is the preloved set that I wear 85% of the time. It doesn’t photograph too well (I really need to read the thread about how to take pictures of diamonds - I always just snap with my iPhone) but in person it’s really sparkly and provides quite the light show in some lights. It’s also super comfortable which is super important to me. When I don’t wear this set, I usually wear a plain gold band.

Anyway, I think I’d like an OEC Moissy, too. I’ll check out stargems and Tianyu, too!
C31BD963-A141-4FF5-B6D8-3B5FA7D5E862.jpeg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F50D2273-852C-4484-B6B2-F81505FA4EDC.png
Great advice @pearaffair.

This is the preloved set that I wear 85% of the time. It doesn’t photograph too well (I really need to read the thread about how to take pictures of diamonds - I always just snap with my iPhone) but in person it’s really sparkly and provides quite the light show in some lights. It’s also super comfortable which is super important to me. When I don’t wear this set, I usually wear a plain gold band.

Anyway, I think I’d like an OEC Moissy, too. I’ll check out stargems and Tianyu, too!
C31BD963-A141-4FF5-B6D8-3B5FA7D5E862.jpeg

Looks like a gorgeous set! Check out olloclips (attachment for you’re ohone) if you want to do easy macro photos. Depending on which iPhone you have, you might be able to get one for like $20! They’re great. See photo :)

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking for a macro lens now! Thanks!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second Tianyu gems. I have a moissy in a pendant setting from them, and I wear it almost every day. Their moissy’s are well cut, and their prices are unbeatable.
You can find them on Alibaba, or look on the forum for the thread about them, and you can find an email address of a sales person of the company in the thread. Have fun searching for your stone!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I usually hang out on the CS and other forums and just made my way over here. Just looking for suggestions but not ready to act soon. This post is long so I apologize!

My original ering (my husband and I call it “original bling”) is made from his great grandmother’s cocktail ring. The stone is a good size (7 mm x 7.2 mm) and I presume OEC. My guess is that it’s an M-P probably and is a decent stone but not great. It came from this setting (which is so dirty that I can see the dirt with the naked eye!).
10D6355A-59DE-4184-A8BB-E7A0C15F9295.jpeg

Original bling:
3B6AFAA0-4D7E-4451-898B-2594021B65B7.jpeg

Full disclosure- I have a few wedding sets as I prefer smaller stones and DH prefers colored so I get to swap out based on my mood. I’m really lucky.

So DH has said from day one that he doesn’t like diamonds. He gave me original bling since it was in the family. I rarely wear it (like a few times a year rarely). The stone is too big for me and it’s a bit of a dud for a solitaire but looked okay in the cocktail ring. We had discussed putting the cocktail ring back together (which I think we should do) and getting a smaller colored stone for the ering setting (I’d get the head redone to fit it). Now that I’m really talking about doing it, he’s pulling the sentimental card, which is funny because for over a decade he told me that he cared about the setting, not the stone. The setting was overpriced (this was before PS!) but it is solid and well made.

So, finally to my question - what about a good quality OEC Moissy in the ering? That would allow me to get the cocktail ring back to original and get a solitaire stone that looks better. And which brand of Moissy would you choose for this project? A diamond is out of my budget for this plus I rarely wear it so it wouldn’t be worth it. I’d like to be able to give the cocktail ring to someone in his family as it isn’t sentimental to me at all. I’d have to sell DH on the plan but if it looks like original ering because it has a clear, antique looking stone, he may be on board.

Another note - I feel that men should always let their intended pick out their own engagement and wedding rings! I picked up a nice quality but preloved set this year that I love and wear almost every day. It cost less than just the setting of original bling did 12 years ago and is right up my alley. I don’t have much sentimentality attached to things, just wish we were more practical from the start. And - the jeweler kept saying that I’d suffer from DSS and that I really should use the family stone - I’m the rare woman who doesn’t have that affliction!

Thanks for reading this far!

eapj, I don't know much about moissanite, but I agree with you 100% than people should let their intended pick out their own engagement and wedding rings, so long as there is a cultural tradition of wearing the rings often. (The only exception would be for cultures where the ring is worn only on the wedding day and there is no expectation of wearing after, such as mainland China.)

I think your decision to get a moissanite for your own set, restore the cocktail ring, and pass on the cocktail ring to another member of the family a wise one. It will result in greater happiness for the ones who get to wear the rings. I just wish your DH wasn't quite so sentimental and opinionated about this!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
:geek2: I also agree that the idea to use a Moissanite for your ring is a great idea! I really think that you and your DH will like it once you have it set. Have lots of fun deciding on the perfect stone and please keep us updated on the end result. ;)2 We will want lots of pics of course!:mrgreen2:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks to everyone for their advice and comments! There is some comfort in knowing that my plan of making whole the cocktail ring isn't silly. And DH will get over the idea of a moissanite in my original ering, if even tell him! He's spoiled me with a lot of jewels over the past few years so I think this request was one too many. BUT - if I do it, he'll be supportive and probably won't notice since the original ering doesn't get worn much anyway. :) When the cocktail ring comes out and I suggest passing it to one of his sisters, then he'll know that I actuall did something. :D He'll see that it was the right decision, though.

Off to look at Tianyu since that seems to be the best option based on the comments from all of you.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in on my dilemma, silly that it may be!!!

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
thanks to everyone for their advice and comments! There is some comfort in knowing that my plan of making whole the cocktail ring isn't silly. And DH will get over the idea of a moissanite in my original ering, if even tell him! He's spoiled me with a lot of jewels over the past few years so I think this request was one too many. BUT - if I do it, he'll be supportive and probably won't notice since the original ering doesn't get worn much anyway. :) When the cocktail ring comes out and I suggest passing it to one of his sisters, then he'll know that I actuall did something. :D He'll see that it was the right decision, though.

Off to look at Tianyu since that seems to be the best option based on the comments from all of you.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in on my dilemma, silly that it may be!!!

I have an OEC ring from StarsGem and a loose stone from Tianyu (will have to figure a setting for it). They're both great though. It's all in the personal taste of the cut. If you want to see a comparison cut here's a video (the top is SG and the bottom is Tianyu):

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks you so much, @Lucky_Rabbit! Both are beautiful! I think I might prefer the Starsgem one but ordered one from Tianyu not an hour before I saw this post. Hopefully I like the Tianyu one in person!

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks you so much, @Lucky_Rabbit! Both are beautiful! I think I might prefer the Starsgem one but ordered one from Tianyu not an hour before I saw this post. Hopefully I like the Tianyu one in person!

No problem. An hours too late, haha. But I'm sure you'll like the Tianyu as well. The cut from them is very crisp and beautiful.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I was about to say the same thing to you @Lucky_Rabbit. It almost looks like the one on top is clearer? Could just be something else like my eyes, lol.. :sun:

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I was about to say the same thing to you @Lucky_Rabbit. It almost looks like the one on top is clearer? Could just be something else like my eyes, lol.. :sun:

I could see the cut better in the center for the top one. The arrows/pedals are more noticable for SG's cut. I thnk Tianyu's arrows or pedals are fatter so you can't see the details as well unless you really look and try for pics. Tianyu's cut is still nice and crisp though. I just don't like their pedals. I've seen their cut with pedals like SG so I don't know why mine are like this.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So my OEC moissanite finally arrived. On August 24 Emily said they’d put it into production but I think she forgot as when I checked in last week she said it would ship soon. It was mailed on Monday and I received it today (Wednesday).

A few thoughts
- GH is pretty white
- the stone I am replacing is 7x7.2 and the Tianyu one appears to be 6.8. Those few partial mms make a big difference. I’m okay with that, though, as I’m a rare person who prefers smaller stones.
- the Tianyu stone is not as deep as the diamond and the crown isn’t as puffy.
- looking straight down at the Tianyu gem, I think it looks lifeless. When tilted, I like it.

I took a picture of it in the cocktail ring. That’s not the plan but it was a good way to see what it would look like.

I’m still not 100% if I want to go through with my original plan of putting the moissanite in the solitaire and putting the diamond back in the cocktail ring.

Pros
- puts the original cocktail ring back together and that’s really important to me.
- gets me a little smaller mm engagement ring which I prefer (even though I’d still only wear it a few times a year). As a result of the smaller stone, it may be set a little lower which is much preferred.
- the tint in the diamond doesn’t bother me but it always has in the current setting. DH is sentimental about the setting so getting a new one to better suit the stone isn’t an option. He’s already let me have a few wedding sets so I don’t want to push his kindness. In reality, he’s tell me to do whatever (my husband is a saint) but since he mentioned it, I respect it.

Con
- Tianyu gem looks dead when viewed from the top.

Thanks for reading and I’m looking forward to your thoughts!

9F05AEC5-776E-4F5D-8499-F4F7BD950DF6.jpeg 2D49F968-AFBB-4284-AFFA-6622555D6B17.jpeg DC338E2E-44E7-4580-8040-CB8D374E9456.jpeg

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
So my OEC moissanite finally arrived. On August 24 Emily said they’d put it into production but I think she forgot as when I checked in last week she said it would ship soon. It was mailed on Monday and I received it today (Wednesday).

A few thoughts
- GH is pretty white
- the stone I am replacing is 7x7.2 and the Tianyu one appears to be 6.8. Those few partial mms make a big difference. I’m okay with that, though, as I’m a rare person who prefers smaller stones.
- the Tianyu stone is not as deep as the diamond and the crown isn’t as puffy.
- looking straight down at the Tianyu gem, I think it looks lifeless. When tilted, I like it.

I took a picture of it in the cocktail ring. That’s not the plan but it was a good way to see what it would look like.

I’m still not 100% if I want to go through with my original plan of putting the moissanite in the solitaire and putting the diamond back in the cocktail ring.

Pros
- puts the original cocktail ring back together and that’s really important to me.
- gets me a little smaller mm engagement ring which I prefer (even though I’d still only wear it a few times a year). As a result of the smaller stone, it may be set a little lower which is much preferred.
- the tint in the diamond doesn’t bother me but it always has in the current setting. DH is sentimental about the setting so getting a new one to better suit the stone isn’t an option. He’s already let me have a few wedding sets so I don’t want to push his kindness. In reality, he’s tell me to do whatever (my husband is a saint) but since he mentioned it, I respect it.

Con
- Tianyu gem looks dead when viewed from the top.

Thanks for reading and I’m looking forward to your thoughts!

9F05AEC5-776E-4F5D-8499-F4F7BD950DF6.jpeg 2D49F968-AFBB-4284-AFFA-6622555D6B17.jpeg DC338E2E-44E7-4580-8040-CB8D374E9456.jpeg

:pray:Thanks so much for sharing that with us! Great info provided. For what it's worth the stone looks really nice to me. The center doesn't appear dark or grayed out which can be seen on some OEC cuts. Your photos look amazing and are really clear. My husband is a sweetheart also and would just about agree with whatever I wanted within reason just to keep me happy. You know how the saying goes "Happy Wife=Happy Life" :lol:LOL.. It is good that you respect his input especially when it comes to jewelery because some men could care less.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Taurus2313! I can get the center to go black (and captured a picture of it) but that’s not the usual state at all. And sorry for all of the detail!

When I look at it it next to the OEC, I’m disappointed a little but then remember that it cost $95. ;)2 On its own, I think it’s beautiful, and that’s how I’d see it anyway.

And having sweet husbands is the best!

Last edited:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
@eapj :appl:AMEN and well said!!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband is 100% on board with me putting the diamond from my ering back into the cocktail ring and putting the moissanite into my ering. Yay! He said that, as usual, my plan was a good one. Gotta love husbands. :P2

My next question - the moissanite is slightly smaller than the diamond (.2 mm and .4mm as the diamond isn’t totally round) so the head might need some work (maybe?). Anyway, my local jeweler sends all work out so I just assume send it out myself. In addition to setting the moissanite and doing whatever work is needed there, the cocktail ring needs a good polishing and resizing (its platinum). Is this a job for David Klass? I’ve never sent anything out before and want to send it to the right place that will do a good job but not break the bank. So not a huge job to be done but still looking for advice. Thanks!

Last edited:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is 100% on board with me butting the diamond from my ering back into the cocktail ring and putting the moissanite into my ering. Yay! He said that, as usual, my plan was a good one. Gotta love husbands. :P2

My next question - the moissanite is slightly smaller than the diamond (.2 mm and .4mm as the diamond isn’t totally round) so the head might need some work (maybe?). Anyway, my local jeweler sends all work out so I just assume send it out myself. In addition to setting the moissanite and doing whatever work is needed there, the cocktail ring needs a good polishing and resizing (its platinum). Is this a job for David Klass? I’ve never sent anything out before and want to send it to the right place that will do a good job but not break the bank. So not a huge job to be done but still looking for advice. Thanks!

He will definitely do fantastic work, I have no doubt. But you’ll have to have patience! I’m now past the 5 week mark just waiting on CADs from him. Up until now he’s been really responsive though, so I guess he’s just behind on the design work?

I’d shoot him an email, and get a quote. His prices are VERY reasonable. Maybe since you aren’t having a piece created he will be quicker. Whatever the case, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @michellelynn9175!

You are so patient. Five weeks would be so long when waiting for something so exciting! I don’t wear the pieces I need help with much at all so I probably wouldn’t even miss them. But I know I’ll love them when I get them back!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @michellelynn9175!

You are so patient. Five weeks would be so long when waiting for something so exciting! I don’t wear the pieces I need help with much at all so I probably wouldn’t even miss them. But I know I’ll love them when I get them back!

Well he’s a perfect candidate then! Luckily my project is an upgrade set so I’m in absolutely no hurry whatsoever. It’ll get to me eventually. I know quite a few people that gave up on him when they either didn’t get a response, or it was too much time between responses. From everything I’ve read though, it’s totally worth the wait!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I emailed David Klass on Friday evening and heard back on Sunday night! Items being shipped to him tomorrow. I told him that I’m not in a rush so no idea how long he’ll have them (and I’m fine with that).

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed David Klass on Friday evening and heard back on Sunday night! Items being shipped to him tomorrow. I told him that I’m not in a rush so no idea how long he’ll have them (and I’m fine with that).

I’m stiiiiiiiiill waiting on CADs. I keep telling myself patience is a virtue. Lol. I’m almost starting to believe it. Almost......:x2

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow! Hopefully they’ll get caught up soon from the time out of the office and illness I read about. At least I hope they do so that you can get your CADs!

I have two stone settings, a polish and resize and a prong fix (three different rings in total) so we’ll see how long that takes. But since I told him that I wasn’t in a hurry, I’m guessing quite a while. I want to wait my rightful place in line behind those who have been waiting for a while.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, wow! Hopefully they’ll get caught up soon from the time out of the office and illness I read about. At least I hope they do so that you can get your CADs!

I have two stone settings, a polish and resize and a prong fix (three different rings in total) so we’ll see how long that takes. But since I told him that I wasn’t in a hurry, I’m guessing quite a while. I want to wait my rightful place in line behind those who have been waiting for a while.

That’s very courteous of you! I’m sure it won’t take long at all though since he’s not creating a ring from scratch. Let us know what he says when he responds!

I sent a follow up email asking what the price of the setting will be so I can at least have that piece of the puzzle out of the way. Lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results