shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Advice

BenPL

Rough_Rock
Hi all!
I been lurking around here for a while (trying to learn) and finally think it's time to start seriously shopping! I found a diamond that looks decent and wanted opinions on it.

Link:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5556699
$9500
I requested Idealscope images that are coming and can post them later. The HCA score was a 1.

Specs that I wanted:
<$10k, ideally ~9k so that with basic platinum ring it is under budget.
1.25+ carat
H or higher
VS2 or higher

I know that I am sacrificing some carat since the diamond is a higher color and clarity that my spec. But after searching a while for the best cut/price range, this is what I found. I am not in a rush and can wait a month or two. I am the frugal kind of guy so I like to save money when possible haha. I also do not plan on upgrades and I prefer not to have them for my wallet reasons. :lol: Thanks for the help!

Ben

Nardster

Rough_Rock
In my opinion (without going into super-ideals), all the information provided by the GIA report looks good proportion/cut & clarity-wise except for depth% as it is a bit high for me, but I haven't done enough analysis on depth% to be certain.

If the Ideal scope checks out then I would say you've found a nice one that meets your budget. If not, this is atleast a good start.

BenPL

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I actually been searching for a couple weeks and found this one that looks decent. I am still waiting for the idealscope which they said takes 5 business days.

The 62.6% depth is 62.5% guideline I have heard frequently. How much is the effect of the 0.1%?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very small changes can make a noticeable difference, as I understand it, but I don't think there is anything to worry about here - the HCA score <2 indicates that the crown and pavilion angles work well together, and the high (35degree) crown and small (55%) table should mean it is a ball of fire!

G is also a great 'safe' colour, without the premium of DEF colourless but with less noticeable tint than H and lower (although colour is neither here nor there, really - it's just personal preference :) ) and VVS2 will definitely be eye-clean!

I think you've found a good one :))

Please post the IdealScope and ASET images when you receive them, as that will help determine the cutting accuracy across all the facets, and hopefully this will be a great find!

BenPL

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Ill definitely post the idealscope shots when I get them. JA do not provide ASET for round diamonds. Ill have 24 hours to decide after the imagery. Thanks for taking a look!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BenPL

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I got the idealscope picture and it is attached. Can you experts please take a look? I am a rookie at looking these.

One thing I noticed is a little bit of light red at 12 oclock between the arrows. Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ben 5556699.jpg

BenPL

Rough_Rock
Just for reference, here was the specs:
L/W RATIO: 1.00
DEPTH %: 62.60
GIRDLE: Medium - Slightly Thick
TABLE %: 55.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 35.00
CROWN %: 16.00
PAVILION ∠: 40.60

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous actually. I would buy.

appl3

Rough_Rock
Great diamond. You can def get a basic solitaire setting and be at budget or slightly under. James Allen has settings at 25% off.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And the student becomes the master! Great job, @BenPL.

If you choose this one, please make sure to share pics (especially hand shots). We love to celebrate with you!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Great choice! The idealscope image is excellent. Do you have setting in mind?

BenPL

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, I learn from the best here! I'll for sure share pics when I get it. This forum has helped me tons with all the reading materials from lurking around.

The setting she liked was platinum six prong knife edge. She definitely wanted platinum and six prone. She also wanted a thinner band to make the diamond look better. :D I think the only choice was this one, or if someone points me to another one I can take a look.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2426

It puts be a little over budget since the band is 1300, but hopefully the PS discount will bring it a little bit down. I didn't see the 25% anymore, is it still around?

BenPL

Rough_Rock
That one saves me 500 bucks.... but doesn't look as thin. Hmmm. Tough decision. I wish there was the 25% off. Shouldn't less material be cheaper =)

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That one saves me 500 bucks.... but doesn't look as thin. Hmmm. Tough decision. I wish there was the 25% off. Shouldn't less material be cheaper =)

According to the specs, they are both 2mm. However the $1,300 has claw prongs. I think either would be good, but it comes down to preference. And I couldn’t find anything about 25% off settings. Hope you can or maybe there’s a first time buyer discount.

$830 option:
D3DB29C1-84C4-4DA0-8813-D79325A46D27.jpeg

$1,300 option:

63CC89D0-6B72-46A3-86A4-01024228E846.jpeg

Last edited:

BenPL

Rough_Rock
From the picture, the $830 platinum presentation one looks bigger. If the spec said they are both 2mm and the prong is the only difference, I would go with the cheaper option.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From the picture, the $830 platinum presentation one looks bigger. If the spec said they are both 2mm and the prong is the only difference, I would go with the cheaper option.
You should be able to ask for confirmation. Just to be sure.

BenPL

Rough_Rock
I was looking back at other idealscope pictures... It seems like this diamond's entire red color is way darker than the ones I have seen. Does that signify anything?

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was looking back at other idealscope pictures... It seems like this diamond's entire red color is way darker than the ones I have seen. Does that signify anything?

Nope, just the lighting for the IS

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@BenPL, your idealscope is dreamy. No worries bud.

Also, I agree on the setting. The first one looks sleeker. Also the basket is way sexier, and it has that little donut too. Personally I think it's worth busting the budget a few hundred bucks because it has little touches the alternate cheaper just lacks.

IIRC, there is a $100 or $200 coupon available by signing up with an email. You should get the ad when you first hit their site. If not, use a proxy server (or do it from work, etc) and sign up to get the coupon. To my knowledge there isn't a "PS discount" per se, but when I was shopping I verbally asked and was able to negotiate several percent off of my purchases.

BenPL

Rough_Rock
So just for reference in case anyone is curious the difference is how the two bands are made and the head assembly:

The $1300 knife edge one is "completely hand made, with a more decorative head assembly. It as well holds a shank that tapers from a 2mm to a 2.8mm." They said it was their version of the Tiffany setting.

The $830 presentation is a "more standard design. This style is a 2mm straight throughout. Its prongs are a normal peg head."

Thanks for everyone's advice!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for reporting back @BenPL. Are we correct to assume you stuck with the $1,300 knife edge? I hope so, that was my personal favorite.

BenPL

Rough_Rock
Yes. Ill probably end up with that one unless something else pops up. They could give me a little discount on diamond but not on setting. :(2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results