carat
color
clarity

Buying my first diamond :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 @rockysalamander

My diamond is 653 * 540. I personally don't think that a 2mm wide band will be too big but it's hard to visualise. I'm not sure if I like the reverse tapered band, I'd have to see it on my hand to get a better idea.

This is what I have in mind, a surface prong. The jeweller said that the cleaning holes are not necessary but I don't know how to get to the bottom of the diamonds without?

20180820_073315.jpg 20180820_073515.jpg
That is not a true prong mounting of the stones. You will not have access to the culets of the stone to clean them without cleaning holes. So, for me, holes are required.

See this ring by JA.
https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-...ave-set-diamond-wedding-ring-27-ctw-item-1173

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
That is not a true prong mounting of the stones. You will not have access to the culets of the stone to clean them without cleaning holes. So, for me, holes are required.

See this ring by JA.
https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-...ave-set-diamond-wedding-ring-27-ctw-item-1173

Thanks, I'll request them but Alistair would know that.

That's a great ring but I like the surface prong because a lot of the diamonds remains visible plus the round shape. Most rings I've seen have scallop or fishtail and give the ring the 'straight, flat line' that I don't like. I'm open to suggestions though!

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Well, honey...
I’m all about “go big or go home”...lol!!
As long as 3 pointers don’t overwhelm the center, by causing the shank to be too wide, I’d go with 3 pointers.

Haha I think I have to agree with you :P2 I tried a band with 3 pointers at a local jeweller with a surface prong today and didn't think it was too wide at all. Those particular prongs make it so much more delicate to me too. I didn't have my diamond with me so I still couldn't truly visualise but I'm still liking the 3 pointers :kiss2:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I like the 3 pointers, but I also like larger settings. My wedding band is nearly 5 mm and my ering is around 4 or a bit more. I have the real estate for it.

Where can I find your rings?

From the link you posted from JA, this is a smaller radiant with 3 pointers. That doesn't look too big to me and the side diamonds don't seem to take away from the center diamond? These prongs are fairly large too.

20180820_172853.jpg

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Another question: this is a shared prong, is that okay or would you advise against that? I don't know if the surface prong can be made with 4 prongs for each individual diamond?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another question: this is a shared prong, is that okay or would you advise against that? I don't know if the surface prong can be made with 4 prongs for each individual diamond?

You can have a double shared prong setting.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
3 pointers vs 2 pointers, thoughts?
20180821_182319.jpg

I've gotten 3 different prices from 3 different jewellers, still waiting on Alistair. I'm a bit anxious he's going to be a lot more expensive :eek2:

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@LetLoveRule any word back from Alistair?
Side not, i wouldnt go bigger than 3 pointers because once you add a band i think it would take away from your center stone

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
@LetLoveRule any word back from Alistair?
Side not, i wouldnt go bigger than 3 pointers because once you add a band i think it would take away from your center stone

We have been emailing about the design but I'm still waiting on his quote.

When I saw my diamond on my finger I realised the ring is going to be quite delicate. I started looking at a halo or bezel but really like my design how it is. My other (non diamond) rings are a bit heavier, so it will look a bit different than what I'm used to. The diamonds will sparkle a lot more though, so it'll be amazing. I just have to get my head around a different style.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like 2 pointers. I think they will look a little more delicate and will make your center stone look a little larger.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I have received the quote from Alistair, unfortunately he's a bit more expensive than other jewellers I have received quotes from before I heard I about him (they're about 2/3 of his quote). They're all hand made rings without CADs. His quote was for F coloured diamonds though. As my centre stone is a J, I have asked for a lower colour.

After seeing videos @rockysalamander posted earlier of (die) casting, I've gotten such a better idea of the ring making process! I'm very excited to get started :D

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
This is what I've come up with so far (with help from others!). As I haven't found a photo of the exact design I want, I'm wondering if I should get a CAD made (not sure which jeweller around here does that)? Thoughts welcome :D

X.jpg

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should I start a new thread for the ring design?
I like what you came up with. And yes, it might help to start a design thread.

I really like the prong shape on the princess cut highlight one, though the tips need to be a bit more delicate.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-26_6-31-7.png
    upload_2018-8-26_6-31-7.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA only grades round brilliants for cut. The GIA you listed does not show a cut grade, is this the right GIA?

upload_2018-9-7_12-41-51.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results