color
clarity

What to do with ten loose 44pt diamonds? POLL

what to do with ten 44 pt diamonds

• Total voters

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I have ten loose 44pt diamonds, all E colour VS clarity, all GIA triple Excellent. Have had them for years and still can't decide what to do with them.

My initial thought was to have them (re)set into a tennis bracelet. I'm very much a bracelet person. Was thinking bezel style, but am a little concerned it might end up too big and bulky, unless the bezels can be done very delicately. Prong-set may look better aesthetically but the bracelet might end up scratching my watch (which is what I'd like to wear with the bracelet) or anything else I may choose to stack it with. Which vendor would be able to sell me matching diamonds and set them for me?

I also don't know how many more diamonds I'd need. Would someone like to hazard a guess for me? I'd need the bracelet to be 6" long. Each diamond is about 5mm in diameter.

An alternative is to have them set into hoop earrings. Can anyone recommend a suitable jeweller? I used to have hoops of five 20pt on each earring, which I quite liked. I currently have not-very-blingy hoops which I wear from time to time and I often wish I had blingier ones.

Oh, and I'd prefer platinum, but WG would be ok too.

TIA.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use them for hoop/huggies earrings. You already seem to have enough stones, so no need to purchase additional ones.
Otherwise for the bracelet.. 6 inches are 152.4mm, adding 1mm for a bezel, you will then need appx 15morr stones. You will know if it’s worth the extra expense to you.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too favour DBTY bracelet as it does not incur additional expense to purchase more stones.
How about a bangle? Again no additional cost except to make it. This would be my choice if the stones were mine.
Or a pendant of some sort, like a flower cluster?
Personally I believe 0.44ct may be too big for hoops/huggies - they certainly would not suit me, however, each to their own.

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a dilemma! Just send them to me instead :Up_to_something:

But seriously, I like the idea of a DBTY bracelet with the diamonds bezeled & spaced quite closely, or perhaps even have them set into a super sleek solid bangle? I think DK makes amazingly delicate bezels. Perhaps reach out to some vendors for ideas? Maybe Caysie would get a kick from getting her brain around a unique bracelet for you, as she's not often asked for bracelets? What an exciting project!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another no vote for hoop earrings - you can’t enjoy them unless you stand in front of a mirror but what would be nice is a bracelet and earring set.
A DBTY bracelet (less 4) bezel set with a short chain section between each one.
And the earrings, a bezel set stud with a similiar chain making a dangle drop with another bezel set one at the end.
You could even start an earring collection (my dream) where you have various pairs of gems set on the end of a short chain with the other end being with a small donut hole which you thread over the diamond stud and make “dangle earrings”.
I dream of having a set in all the colours of the rainbow ie ruby, sapphire, emerald, Spinel, Tourmaline.... the list goes on.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with scarsmum, I'd do a DBTY necklace with those big shinies. That would be gorgeous.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DBTY Bracelet gets my vote or a jazz type tennis bracelet alternating with smaller stones!!! Then you can stare at it all day!!:cool2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the DBTY bracelet idea. Earrings are great, but you’ll never see them. You can enjoy the bracelet every day!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for posting and voting! Pls forgive me for not responding to each one of you individually. There seem to be some common themes here.

I'm not keen on DBTY style. I have 2 DBTY necklaces and they flip all the time which drives me bonkers!! But thank you for the suggestions.

I think I'll see if I can find a local B&M that stock larger hoop earrings and see how they feel and look on me. My concern re these would be that they'd be tad too heavy for my ears.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use them for hoop/huggies earrings. You already seem to have enough stones, so no need to purchase additional ones.
Otherwise for the bracelet.. 6 inches are 152.4mm, adding 1mm for a bezel, you will then need appx 15morr stones. You will know if it’s worth the extra expense to you.

I'm leaning more towards hoops, primarily bc there'd be little additional expense. But would they be too heavy for my ears? I wonder...

I looked at my existing tennis bracelets. Both are illusion-set and with the illusion setting/ kind of bezel-ish cover, each stone is just shy of 5mm, and there are 28 stones altogether for this bracelet. So, you may be right, maybe it'll be 12-15 more stones. I'll go look at some sites and see how much these would cost. Just a quick perusal of JA shows each would cost approx $1.2k, so after factoring in the cost of the loose stones + the setting + shipping etc...I'm prob looking at shelling out an extra $15-20k. Yikes! lol

There remains the issue of whom I should reach out to do the hoops or tennis bracelet...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too favour DBTY bracelet as it does not incur additional expense to purchase more stones.
How about a bangle? Again no additional cost except to make it. This would be my choice if the stones were mine.
Or a pendant of some sort, like a flower cluster?
Personally I believe 0.44ct may be too big for hoops/huggies - they certainly would not suit me, however, each to their own.

DK :))

Pls see my post above re DBTY.

I am not really a pendant or necklace type of person. I think I could carry off the 44pt hoops; my only concern would be the weight.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a dilemma! Just send them to me instead :Up_to_something:

But seriously, I like the idea of a DBTY bracelet with the diamonds bezeled & spaced quite closely, or perhaps even have them set into a super sleek solid bangle? I think DK makes amazingly delicate bezels. Perhaps reach out to some vendors for ideas? Maybe Caysie would get a kick from getting her brain around a unique bracelet for you, as she's not often asked for bracelets? What an exciting project!

Hehe, Alex, too funny!:lol:

I am quite partial to the idea of a solid bangle. I *think* I've seen DK-made bangles on here and they look superb. I'd need to dig up DK pics now. Or if you have them handy, can you pls link me? I'd only do a bangle with diamonds all around. I don't like half bangles (I know that's not what you're suggesting, lol) or half-eternities (which I have one of), as the bare metal/ no diamond part drives me bonkers! I prefer uniformity, being rather OCD.:lol:

Caysie is a possible contender for a bangle, yes. But I'd be more inclined to use a vendor who's done them before.

ETA: I've just found DK Instagram - DROOOOOL!! But I can't seem to find Caysie's Instagram page; does she have one? I love her attention to detail too. I also LOVE Erika Winters' designs - @yssie's come to mind.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One sided oval hard bangle. One that fits your wrist pretty tightly.

It'd definitely have to be oval-shaped, as my wrists are very flat and ovals fit me much better. I really LOVE the shape of my VCA Perlee Clover bracelet, but the Cartier Love's is also excellent.

If I do a solid bangle, it'd be an all-round diamond one. I'm too OCD!:lol:

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm leaning more towards hoops, primarily bc there'd be little additional expense. But would they be too heavy for my ears? I wonder...

I looked at my existing tennis bracelets. Both are illusion-set and with the illusion setting/ kind of bezel-ish cover, each stone is just shy of 5mm, and there are 28 stones altogether for this bracelet. So, you may be right, maybe it'll be 12-15 more stones. I'll go look at some sites and see how much these would cost. Just a quick perusal of JA shows each would cost approx $1.2k, so after factoring in the cost of the loose stones + the setting + shipping etc...I'm prob looking at shelling out an extra $15-20k. Yikes! lol

There remains the issue of whom I should reach out to do the hoops or tennis bracelet...

Hm the weight is a valid concern especially if you will be looking at plat. Maybe consider wg if hoops. What are your current largest studs/earrings that you own and wear comfortably?

Otherwise, it is up to you if you want to go the bracelet route. I would personally advice spending the money if the end product will be something that you will enjoy all the time and therefore, worth it.

As to who to make it.. I would reach out to DK and maybe even BGD? I would strongly advice against CvB due to personal disappointments with their products. You have had many excellent pieces over the years, I wouldn’t trust just anyone with your diamonds.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm the weight is a valid concern especially if you will be looking at plat. Maybe consider wg if hoops. What are your current largest studs/earrings that you own and wear comfortably?

Otherwise, it is up to you if you want to go the bracelet route. I would personally advice spending the money if the end product will be something that you will enjoy all the time and therefore, worth it.

As to who to make it.. I would reach out to DK and maybe even BGD? I would strongly advice against CvB due to personal disappointments with their products. You have had many excellent pieces over the years, I wouldn’t trust just anyone with your diamonds.

All very valid points. Yes, the weight of pt may be a deterring factor. The largest and heaviest? I'd say my Vintage Alhambra LE Onyx earrings - these are super comfy.

The cost of the bracelet is something which is making me hesitate a little, bc I am trying to save up for an upgrade of my 5ct (if I do) and/ or for additional investment purposes. I know for sure I'd love wearing a tennis bracelet or a solid bangle. I am very much a bracelet and earring girl - so either, if they are comfy, would get a lot of mileage. Again, the weight of the hoops would be something that would stop me going that route.

Thank you for letting me know about CvB, that's really excellent heads-up. Yes, after many years of making numerous mistakes, I am now super careful in selecting a new piece of jewellery.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of reaching out to WF for the tennis bracelet, for a quotation of the stones as well as the setting. I wouldn't need ACA stones. In fact, I'd need the additional stones to match my existing GIA stones.

@m-2-b, I was wondering: since you seem to have an excellent relationship with WF, whom would you recommend?

Or anyone else who has had a lot of dealing with WF, I'd love your input.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of reaching out to WF for the tennis bracelet, for a quotation of the stones as well as the setting. I wouldn't need ACA stones. In fact, I'd need the additional stones to match my existing GIA stones.

@m-2-b, I was wondering: since you seem to have an excellent relationship with WF, whom would you recommend?

It's not a big crew like a JamesAllen call center. I think that if you called and got Vera, who is the welcome wagon with the mega watt smile, shed be able to guide you to the best rep to help you. She may even be the one to help you!

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
Do you already have a large eternity? That would be my pick if I had 10 beautiful stones.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi @Phoenix! Yes, I do have an excellent relationship with WF--they have helped me on numerous bling projects, including my own special order 20pt platinum diamond tennis bracelet from a few years back! My wonderful sales associate is Sheerah (and Vera if I need her)! I'll let Sheerah know to be looking out for your email and let her know that I referred you. WF made a 10ct+ diamond bracelet for kama_s using 30pt diamonds that you may want to consider for inspiration (and she's got great taste just like you!).

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-7-8-ctw-whiteflash-diamond-bracelet.212447/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/10-ct-whiteflash-aca-tennis-bracelet.240386/

17D08C01-30CF-45F4-BF6D-2875E5CBF936.jpeg 09A66071-4967-4949-B528-1848BA45F06A.jpeg
I rarely post, but I have been around lately, looking for inspiration for a new ring and this thread piqued my interest.

As another option for a vendor... I had a tennis bracelet made by BGD last year, and it is one of my most favorite, most worn pieces. The setting was a custom platinum four prong bracelet with BDG black and signature stones, ranging from 30-34 pointers. I know the four prong isn’t as popular as the three for bracelets on pricescope, but I was particular about the setting and thus ended up going custom.

I think a bracelet with stones of that size would be phenomenal!! Hope you are able to create something that you love!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tennis bracelet would be my choice, and I would definitely do 4 prongs for stones that size. (@loveprettylittlethings yours is GORGEOUS!!!)

I think if you truly desire a tennis bracelet with large stones, it's a great idea. But I would sell the stones and buy a VCA piece, if you don't.

One more thought, if they are not ideal cut, I'd sell them and get an ACA bracelet from Whiteflash. Kama considered a premade bracelet with high color and clarity, but she ended up deciding that top cut ACA stones and F-G color (I believe) was better overall. You could probably sell these in pairs if no one wanted all 10.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bangle sounds good to me I know someone did one recently using the stones from a tennis bracelet just can't remember who. Have you thought about just selling them though and putting the funds towards your upgrade?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results