shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Princess and Cushion Diamond

malaur

Rough_Rock
Good day,

I am in the process of buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend. Initially i planned on buying a round shaped ring, as their quality can be judged in a more straightforward manner while shopping for a diamond online. After some research, my GFs best friend told me she likes princess or cushion cut diamonds.

As I understand from this website, their quality can't be judged as direct as a round shaped one, and any Princess or Cushion Diamonds should be judged and inspected in person.

Whit this in mind I visited a local jeweler in London to look at different diamonds, and I have these 2 which caught my eye.
I took some photos and videos and I have their GIA certificate. I asked for Idealscope/ASET images, but the jeweler told me he doesn't have any.

Could you give you honest opinion, with the little information available: Which one could be the best option? Or any other suggestions?

1) Cushion Diamond - 1.01ct, E, VS2, EX polish EX symmetry, no cutlet - price 4720$
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-10 at 15.22.58.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-10 at 15.23.30.jpeg

2) Princess Cut Diamond - 1.01ct, E, VS2, EX polish VG symmetry, no cutlet - price 4860$
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-17 at 12.16.23(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-17 at 12.16.23.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-17 at 12.16.24.jpeg

Attachments

• Cushion - GIA REPORT.pdf
    928.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Princess Cut GIA Report.pdf
    526.9 KB · Views: 49

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, the videos are not up close enough to be of much help. Between the 3 they all look to have potential but I cant tell you that
one stone looked better than another. I dont want to download the GIA reports to my machine...virus etc.

malaur

Rough_Rock
To be honest, the videos are not up close enough to be of much help. Between the 3 they all look to have potential but I cant tell you that
one stone looked better than another. I dont want to download the GIA reports to my machine...virus etc.

Here is a snapshot of the P Cushion cut GIA Report
upload_2018-7-17_15-46-29.png

Here is a snapshot of the Princess cut GIA Report

upload_2018-7-17_15-45-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-17_15-45-46.png
    upload_2018-7-17_15-45-46.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2018-7-17_15-46-27.png
    upload_2018-7-17_15-46-27.png
    572.5 KB · Views: 6

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The princess cut is really deep. Facing up slightly smaller than a more normal cut princess weighing 1.01.

I think the best I* can do is show you some well cut princess cuts and some well cut cushions. That way you can look at the stones you are considering
and try to figure out which one is better cut (returning more light, brighter, sparklier, etc). View the stones inside as well as outside. Try to view/compare
the stones in as many different lighting situations as possible. Are the stones at the same store? That would make it easier.

Well cut stones ...ignore color/cost/clarity etc...just look at faceting and how the stones return light as they move

princess stones... (these are AGS0 stones with ideal light return). I stuck to 3 chevron stones because that is what the stone you are considering is.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3052153.htm
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.03-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4771778

cushion stones...I tried to stick with the same faceting pattern as the cushion you are looking at. These are examples of nicely cut stones. Some are
better than others.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.02-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4514259
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-5003235
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3681954

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 has the technical stuff posted, so I'm just going to ask for some details that will help us provide you with some guidance.

I would ask the GF's friend to get a bit more guidance. Cushions are all rounded edges and brilliance. Princess cuts are all straight edges and fire. There is also a radiant cut, that I think is nicer than a princess, and the cut-corners are safer than pointy ones on the princess. Did she like a square (shape) or the slightly elongate shape of Meghan Markle's cushion? What kind of setting does she want? Can you post inspiration rings? What size is her finger? What does she do professionally?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, if you are going to use a local jeweler and look at fancy cuts, I'd suggest you invest in an ASET scope so you can determine the real performance of the stone. Or maybe use your jewelers if he has one. Lastly, maybe purchase online with images already available.

https://ideal-scope.com/product/aset-scope/
https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/newhandheldaset

If your girl is open to a cushion cut, have you considered coupling a round center stone in a cushion halo? All the brilliance, etc. of a round but the look she likes.

Great article here:
https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/blog/halo-talk-round-diamond-in-cushion-halo-vs-round-halo/

Picture is posted in above article, but shows how the setting can transform the look drastically.

round-vs-cushion-halo.jpg

ASET reference charts

Capture3.PNG
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

malaur

Rough_Rock
@tyty333 has the technical stuff posted, so I'm just going to ask for some details that will help us provide you with some guidance.

I would ask the GF's friend to get a bit more guidance. Cushions are all rounded edges and brilliance. Princess cuts are all straight edges and fire. There is also a radiant cut, that I think is nicer than a princess, and the cut-corners are safer than pointy ones on the princess. Did she like a square (shape) or the slightly elongate shape of Meghan Markle's cushion? What kind of setting does she want? Can you post inspiration rings? What size is her finger? What does she do professionally?

The thing is her best friend just got married this past weekend and , as you would guess, she is quite busy herself, being away on honeymoon. So that end is finished for a while.
All i got from her friend is that she likes rectangle/square shapes as the first 2 top diamonds in this Tiffany screenshot (her friend used it as an incentive to see towards what she leans towards)
upload_2018-7-17_17-16-38.png

As a profession she is a quality pharmacist, working on the quality control of medicine products (pills and such). She is classy, with quite a bold and demanding character at work, but a sweetheart in her private life.

She is a size 7 (54mm Circumference) .

She likes white gold/platinum settings. From what I gathered she likes simpler settings, with at most sidestones/3 stones settings.

To be honest, I am a bit clueless at the moment. I started off this search with a round shaped diamond, as I could decide more on the quality of the diamond.
Then I said to myself that I am selfish, to get her something that I like, I should get her something that she likes. Thats how the cushion shape appeared (a compromise between us). Then I said i should get a princess cut.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those first two stones...first one is a princess, second is an emerald cut.

With your description (bold demanding at work, sweetheart at home)...I'm thinking more emerald cut. There is a big difference between an emerald cut
(step cut) vs a princess cut (brilliant cut). As Rockysal mentioned above, there is a radiant cut that sort of gives you the cut corners of an emerald and
the faceting of a princess. Linked below...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3332172
Different types of radiants
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.02-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3697346
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.03-carat-f-color-if-clarity-sku-23440 8 main radiant

Sledge also brings up a good point with the round in a cushion shaped halo. It is much easier to find a nice round.

However, if its not what your GF wants then stick with the squarer shapes.

Are you willing to buy on-line? We could help you more that way but it means you have to pay some kind of tax coming in. There are other posters
from the UK that buy here but not sure if you're willing to go there.

malaur

Rough_Rock
Those first two stones...first one is a princess, second is an emerald cut.

With your description (bold demanding at work, sweetheart at home)...I'm thinking more emerald cut. There is a big difference between an emerald cut
(step cut) vs a princess cut (brilliant cut). As Rockysal mentioned above, there is a radiant cut that sort of gives you the cut corners of an emerald and
the faceting of a princess. Linked below...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3332172
Different types of radiants
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.02-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3697346
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.03-carat-f-color-if-clarity-sku-23440 8 main radiant

Sledge also brings up a good point with the round in a cushion shaped halo. It is much easier to find a nice round.

However, if its not what your GF wants then stick with the squarer shapes.

Are you willing to buy on-line? We could help you more that way but it means you have to pay some kind of tax coming in. There are other posters
from the UK that buy here but not sure if you're willing to go there.

I am UK based and willing to buy on-line.
I was scooping the local jewelers only because fro the impression I got from this site, it is really difficult to judge a diamond's quality online, from images (other than round shape) .

Wat taxes would it need to be payed if you order the ring online ? VAT at 20%? Import taxes etc?

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
These are my Ultimate Rules of the trade for choosing the best Square diamond:

I would like to add my experience with choosing fancy shaped diamonds of the square family.

They are:

Princess

Emerald

Radiant

Cushion (take a Radiant curve the cut corners and you get a Cushion)

I assume that you would prefer a diamond that has lots of brilliance but also looks biggest for a certain carat weight.

The "Ideal cut" for me is the one that will have the most brilliance possible and will look the biggest possible, they do not go necessarily together.

So I will avoid diamonds that have a depth of 73% or higher, ideally should take between 65% to 69%

I will avoid diamonds that the Table width larger then 73% ideally it should be 60 to 69%.

The biggest problem is to get the Crown Height of a diamond since GIA is not publishing it for unknown reason.

The crown height% should be between 8% to 12%.

After you eliminate all the diamonds that do not fall within these ranges you are welcome to check them with any instrument, you will be pretty safe within the Ideal-Cut .Of course Symmetry and Polish should be at least Very Good and girdle between thin to slightly thick and cullet pointed.

Be sure to compare the mm size of the diamond you chose and compare it to the others, to know which one is bigger looking multiple the "mm width x mm Length"=the face up area of the diamond.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a profession she is a quality pharmacist, working on the quality control of medicine products (pills and such). She is classy, with quite a bold and demanding character at work, but a sweetheart in her private life.

So, lots of nitrile gloves on and off over the day. When it comes to a setting that will be important. Out of the gate, I'd say a bezel or prong-in bezel, but lets see where you end up with on a diamond.

What about an asscher? Gorgeous setting and really pretty stone. @Matthews1127 can chime in on step-cuts too.
upload_2018-7-17_12-46-14.png
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-23ct-art-deco-asscher-cut-solitaire-gia-h-vs2

upload_2018-7-17_12-47-46.png
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-17ct-asscher-cut-diamond-tacori-solitaire

This won't be perfect, as currency exchange varies day to day, but will get you close. So, can you let us know your "all in" budget in USD? Subtract out the taxes and VAT and give us something in USD to work from.

upload_2018-7-17_12-44-22.png

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, lots of nitrile gloves on and off over the day. When it comes to a setting that will be important. Out of the gate, I'd say a bezel or prong-in bezel, but lets see where you end up with on a diamond.

What about an asscher? Gorgeous setting and really pretty stone. @Matthews1127 can chime in on step-cuts too.

This won't be perfect, as currency exchange varies day to day, but will get you close. So, can you let us know your "all in" budget in USD? Subtract out the taxes and VAT and give us something in USD to work from.

Oh, dear, YES!! All of the above info is so helpful!
Please stay away from the Princess Cut; it’s “outdated”, and just too straight-edged. You are terribly limited to the setting as v-prongs are a must to protect those pointed corners!
Sophistication, class & femininity is what we are looking for, here. If you want rectangular brilliance, you need an elongated Cushion or elongated radiant. I prefer cushions over radiants.
The “new” antique cushions are absolutely divine, and give both sparkle and fire...broad flashes, with unique character, and charm. @Rhino is the man to talk to about those!!! :kiss2:
As for step cuts, well....let’s talk!!!
You have your Emerald cut (rectangular or “squatty”, also known as the square emerald cut), you have your Asscher Cut, and you have your Octavia, which is the best of both worlds: more facets around the crown, higher crowns, significantly smaller table, designed in a step cut/Asscher Cut Diamond. @Karl_K at Diamonds by Lauren or @diagem at GemConcepts would be a great source, here!
The Octavia gives a 3D-4D effect that most other diamonds do not have. They are a wish list item of mine!!! ;)2

I need to read more of your original post to get a clear understanding of what you’re looking for, but I will do everything I can to help you find THE diamond for her!!!
This is going to be so much fun!!! :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP: we need to narrow down your selection to the SHAPE or CUT.
No pressure, but it helps to know what you are focused on, above all others, in order to start searching for great options for you!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she have a Pinterest account you can snoop around on to get a better feel for a "theme" that she gravitates toward?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she have a Pinterest account you can snoop around on to get a better feel for a "theme" that she gravitates toward?

This would be so helpful!

malaur

Rough_Rock

These two Asscher diamonds really stood out in my eyes. I really think their design is unique, she would like something like that.
It is on par with her personality: simple, yet edgy and sophisticated when it needs to be.

So i am open broaden my horizon. Thank you for your insight and input.

malaur

Rough_Rock
Oh, dear, YES!! All of the above info is so helpful!
Please stay away from the Princess Cut; it’s “outdated”, and just too straight-edged. You are terribly limited to the setting as v-prongs are a must to protect those pointed corners!

Dully noted. I will do that. Based on rockysalamander previous response', I can see that I was terribly limited in my search.

Sophistication, class & femininity is what we are looking for, here. If you want rectangular brilliance, you need an elongated Cushion or elongated radiant. I prefer cushions over radiants.
The “new” antique cushions are absolutely divine, and give both sparkle and fire...broad flashes, with unique character, and charm. @Rhino is the man to talk to about those!!! :kiss2:
I'll look more into you suggestions. On a first google search they look gorgeous. I am starting to think that the answer is an unique diamond cut that captures her character. And your suggestions are to be considered.

As for step cuts, well....let’s talk!!!
You have your Emerald cut (rectangular or “squatty”, also known as the square emerald cut), you have your Asscher Cut, and you have your Octavia, which is the best of both worlds: more facets around the crown, higher crowns, significantly smaller table, designed in a step cut/Asscher Cut Diamond. @Karl_K at Diamonds by Lauren or @diagem at GemConcepts would be a great source, here!
The Octavia gives a 3D-4D effect that most other diamonds do not have. They are a wish list item of mine!!! ;)2

I need to read more of your original post to get a clear understanding of what you’re looking for, but I will do everything I can to help you find THE diamond for her!!!
This is going to be so much fun!!! :mrgreen2:

To resume: Diamonds elongated cushions or radiants.
Cuts: Asscher, Octavia

malaur

Rough_Rock
OP: we need to narrow down your selection to the SHAPE or CUT.
No pressure, but it helps to know what you are focused on, above all others, in order to start searching for great options for you!!

I did look at her pinterest. Unfortunately she doesn't have anything with diamonds, more with Emerald stones/gold bands. But i do know she wants a diamond white gold ring as an ering.

Here are some examples, which I think do gravitate towards what you guys suggested .
upload_2018-7-18_9-26-7.png
upload_2018-7-18_9-26-27.png
upload_2018-7-18_9-27-3.png

She might gravitate to certain themes, but I reckon her knowledge of the different diamond shapes and cuts is a bit limited, as is mine.
Given you insights, I will take a leap of faith and take a chance on one the suggestions that catches my eyes, one which will be a perfect combination between an unique diamond shape and what I think she likes

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did look at her pinterest. Unfortunately she doesn't have anything with diamonds, more with Emerald stones/gold bands. But i do know she wants a diamond white gold ring as an ering.

Here are some examples, which I think do gravitate towards what you guys suggested .

She might gravitate to certain themes, but I reckon her knowledge of the different diamond shapes and cuts is a bit limited, as is mine.
Given you insights, I will take a leap of faith and take a chance on one the suggestions that catches my eyes, one which will be a perfect combination between an unique diamond shape and what I think she likes

Octavia Asscher:
http://gemconcepts.net/diamond-boutique/special-octavia-cut-diamond/

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/

Antique Cushions:
https://august-vintage-inc.myshopify.com/collections/august-vintage-cushion

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds?shape=antique-cushion

Asscher Cut and Radiant Cut can be found in a broad range of vendors’ Inventories.

Just keep in mind: every cut you have chosen is in the “fancy diamond” range. These cuts take more evaluation, and require more visual aid examination to determine the duds from the studs. Videos, ASET, and naked eye examination (if you’re able to get up close & personal) are vital to finding the right diamond.

Now, what are your preferences of the 4C’s, in order of priority?
I noticed the stones you had posted were around 1ct, colorless, and VS1+ clarity range. Are you open to widening that range to see what your max & min budget will get you?
What is min & max budget?
Do you have an idea of what setting style you’d like, or are you waiting for the diamond to inspire you?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just looking at the two examples of rings you posted, I believe a setting by Caysie at CvB ID would suit her style, well:
https://www.instagram.com/cvb.inspired.design

Rose cut diamonds are included in those images you posted. Caysie works with Rose Cuts, a LOT! That cut is also a Vintage/Antique style, but making an amazing come back. You may want to include small, Rose cut stones in the design of her ring, once you have chosen the center diamond.
Take a look at her designs....

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock

I agree with @Matthews1127 that, based on the examples you posted, she may like CVB ID. I have worked with the designer Mociun (who made the third cluster ring you posted) in the past, and CVB is currently resetting my e-ring. Is there are reason you are now set on elongated cushions or radiants as opposed to an emerald cut? In the tiffany example, you showed an emerald and a princess. I agree with the pp who said princesses are outdated, but emeralds are to die for! :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prices on the 2 rings he posted were around $4800...I'm assuming that was US. + VAT (ugh)

What is your timeline? CVB will take a while and may be priced out of your budget depending on how
large a stone you want (a lot of square cuts are cut deeper and will face up smaller so might want to go for a slightly bigger stone).

Edit...so you can sort of "see" what the stone shapes look like in settings
here is a look at some rings with asscher cut stones
https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-rings/asscher-cut-engagement-rings/
Emeralds...
https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-rings/emerald-cut-engagement-rings/?MinPrice=100&MaxPrice=999999
Radiants...
https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-rings/radiant-cut-engagement-rings/?MinPrice=100&MaxPrice=999999

Of course, if you look around on Pricescope you'll see prettier versions of rings with these stones.
Probably best if you start on the last page and go down to 1 so you see the more current stuff first.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cuts-asschers-a-collection.113993/page-43

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure how to post to individual pics so I took screenshots. As a guy not a fan of pink but wow this is awesome as-is!

But I really like the setting and I could easily see a vintage cut oval diamond in it. And with a limited budget, a halo style provides finger coverage for less money.

20180718_070940.jpg 20180718_071038.jpg

If you wanted to go diamond with strong fluor and happened to go to a night club with black lights....the above setting with the right diamond would be a very cool and beautiful party trick...

20180718_071214.jpg

Strong fluor wouldn't do that under normal lighting but given her like for color and with the right UV lighting it could transform. Might be able to give her two things she loves with one ring is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

malaur

Rough_Rock
Just looking at the two examples of rings you posted, I believe a setting by Caysie at CvB ID would suit her style, well:
https://www.instagram.com/cvb.inspired.design

Rose cut diamonds are included in those images you posted. Caysie works with Rose Cuts, a LOT! That cut is also a Vintage/Antique style, but making an amazing come back. You may want to include small, Rose cut stones in the design of her ring, once you have chosen the center diamond.
Take a look at her designs....

I'll have a look at their designs just now.

Octavia Asscher:
http://gemconcepts.net/diamond-boutique/special-octavia-cut-diamond/

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/

Antique Cushions:
https://august-vintage-inc.myshopify.com/collections/august-vintage-cushion

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds?shape=antique-cushion

Asscher Cut and Radiant Cut can be found in a broad range of vendors’ Inventories.

Just keep in mind: every cut you have chosen is in the “fancy diamond” range. These cuts take more evaluation, and require more visual aid examination to determine the duds from the studs. Videos, ASET, and naked eye examination (if you’re able to get up close & personal) are vital to finding the right diamond.

Now, what are your preferences of the 4C’s, in order of priority?
I noticed the stones you had posted were around 1ct, colorless, and VS1+ clarity range. Are you open to widening that range to see what your max & min budget will get you?
What is min & max budget?
Do you have an idea of what setting style you’d like, or are you waiting for the diamond to inspire you?

In order of priority of the 4C's - cut is the most important IDEAL or EXCELLENT , carat weight within the budget limits, Clarity VS2 or SI1 as long as it is eye clean color F to H.
The budget is up to lets say 7-8k with setting and VAT taxes and minimum to 5k.
The prices on the 2 rings he posted were around $4800...I'm assuming that was US. + VAT (ugh)

What is your timeline? CVB will take a while and may be priced out of your budget depending on how
large a stone you want (a lot of square cuts are cut deeper and will face up smaller so might want to go for a slightly bigger stone).

Edit...so you can sort of "see" what the stone shapes look like in settings
here is a look at some rings with asscher cut stones
https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-rings/asscher-cut-engagement-rings/
Emeralds...
https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-rings/emerald-cut-engagement-rings/?MinPrice=100&MaxPrice=999999
Radiants...
https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-rings/radiant-cut-engagement-rings/?MinPrice=100&MaxPrice=999999

Of course, if you look around on Pricescope you'll see prettier versions of rings with these stones.
Probably best if you start on the last page and go down to 1 so you see the more current stuff first.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cuts-asschers-a-collection.113993/page-43

For the budget question see above response.
My timeline is for end of August beginning of September.
I'll have a look at the ones you posted.

malaur

Rough_Rock
We'd need a lot more information about this. They say its a H color, but I'd put it closer to K. But, I think this set is fantastic and would really work for her style and work. In budget (I think).l

upload_2018-7-18_8-33-44.png

videohttps://youtu.be/rREdK66nvgU

https://www.etsy.com/listing/266155350/egl-usa-h-vs2-14k-white-gold-asscher-cut?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=antique asscher diamond&ref=sr_gallery-1-13

These designs you posted are really eye catching. I'll post some that I think she might like.

It's quite exciting this ering search.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a voice of dissent, i will echo what @tyty333 posted earlier about the emerald cut. When i think of bold, especially in a square/rectangular stone, i think Emerald cut. An Asscher is going to face up quite a bit smaller than an emerald cut stone. I think that alone would sway me. I love an Asscher but at the size you're looking, which is close to 1ct, i would choose an emerald. Just a quick comparison on two stones right at 1ct. Visually the emerald appears larger... it has 11% more top surface area. Just some food for thought.

EMeraldAsscher.JPG

Also, consider that an Asscher is a very specific look and not one everyone will love. I love an Assher cut stone but my fingers are short and squat and not very flattering on me.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
as far as settings, take a look at some of the Maevona settings, they are bold and really unusual, i do like a few of their Asscher settings. Their Instagram though shows how beautiful they are. the pics on the side are not great.

https://www.instagram.com/maevona/?hl=en

Asscher settings:
http://www.maevona.com/ring-detail.html?rid=1160
http://www.maevona.com/ring-detail.html?rid=1539
http://www.maevona.com/ring-detail.html?rid=1439

Emerald:
http://www.maevona.com/ring-detail.html?rid=1080
http://www.maevona.com/ring-detail.html?rid=1040

malaur

Rough_Rock
As a voice of dissent, i will echo what @tyty333 posted earlier about the emerald cut. When i think of bold, especially in a square/rectangular stone, i think Emerald cut. An Asscher is going to face up quite a bit smaller than an emerald cut stone. I think that alone would sway me. I love an Asscher but at the size you're looking, which is close to 1ct, i would choose an emerald. Just a quick comparison on two stones right at 1ct. Visually the emerald appears larger... it has 11% more top surface area. Just some food for thought.

EMeraldAsscher.JPG

Also, consider that an Asscher is a very specific look and not one everyone will love. I love an Assher cut stone but my fingers are short and squat and not very flattering on me.

It does look larger in the emerald cut. You are correct.

I just did an exercise for a comparison between a 1.3ct Asscher Diamond and a 1.03 Emerald Cut diamond with the same setting. The emerald cut looks larger than an Asscher cut. So i wont dismiss it.
upload_2018-7-18_16-47-53.png
upload_2018-7-18_16-48-21.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results