shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy ASET scope from Atlas or AGS? Are they different?

blsmith1

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an ASET scope in order to judge light performance on some stones I'll be viewing in B&M stores. Was about to pull the trigger on buying from David Atlas' webshop, and then I found that the AGS are selling a "new handheld" ASET for about half the price. Based on photos, the two scopes do not have the same outward appearance.

Are they different, and is one better than the other? Any help is appreciated!

ASET scope from DA:
https://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/aset-scope/
DA_ASET.jpg

VERSUS

Handheld ASET from AGS
https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/newhandheldaset
AGS_handheld_ASET.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's interesting - I'm wondering if the different sizes of bands produce different colours in the images?

@Karl_K - can you bring the techie input?! :)

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FYI I bought an ASET from AGS and it looked nothing like that picture, but identical to the one from DA. So I would get whichever was cheaper. When I bought it, they had the same picture advertised that you had.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI blsmith1
What shape diamond are you intending to use the ASET on?
I ask because the AGSL instruction are ONLY valid on modern Round Brilliant stones.
Fancy Shapes introduce all kinds of variables.
Unfortunately, the AGSL page makes no mention of this.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI blsmith1
What shape diamond are you intending to use the ASET on?
I ask because the AGSL instruction are ONLY valid on modern Round Brilliant stones.
Fancy Shapes introduce all kinds of variables.
Unfortunately, the AGSL page makes no mention of this.

ONLY valid for modern rounds? Where did you read this?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Green is produced by low-angle light, which usually is reflected from walls or other objects in the surrounding area (rather than coming from direct sources). A diamond with a high cut quality may show small amounts of this color around the bezel area of the ASET image.

Hi Jon,
A statement like the one above, unqualified as to the shape of the stone being assessed is simply not accurate due to lack of specificity. On a round, sure. On an Oval, for example, many well cut examples may show larger amounts of green around the bezel area.

Where did you read this?
No need to read - we have the best ASET equipment, and loads of actual stones to test it with:)

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's interesting - I'm wondering if the different sizes of bands produce different colours in the images?

@Karl_K - can you bring the techie input?! :)
Angles are angles with in whatever tolerance AGS is willing to accept but if there is a difference it may be in ease of use.
The size of the bands has to be adjusted based on the size of the scope to keep the angles for each color right.
Size of the scope and the size of the center hole and a bunch of other factors come into play that can make one easier to use than another.
I haven't used the AGS one pictured so can't say one way or the other.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was always of the view that ASET had its primary use for non-MRB’s in order to test their light performance.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was always of the view that ASET had its primary use for non-MRB’s in order to test their light performance.

Interesting!!
My experience has been different
With a round diamond, there's a well defined "road map" of how it's supposed to look. This means ASET images of a round allow a super accurate prediction of real life light performance.
Cutters do not follow such a narrow path when they are cutting fancy shapes. In many cases oddly shaped rough- unsuitable for rounds- gets cut into an amazing oval, pear hear shape, etc
When "ideal" fancy shapes have been defined by reputable labs, the market has never embraced them. It's not about making more money on the rough- though that certainly may play a part. Consumers are really the driving force. The ideal fancy shapes- to this point- have never caught on in more than a boutique manner. The basic H&A idea for rounds did- basically taking over the market.

My experience has been that relating real-life performance to the aset of many fancy shapes involves a lot more guesswork as compared to round diamonds.
I have seen many fancy shaped stones that look great in person, yet ASET shows a lot of leakage. Leaky rounds always look bad to my eye.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I am also looking at buying an ASET scope and noticed the following in the tutorial concerning the "new" AGS scope.

I am not certain if ordering directly from AGS will yield this same style, but their site certainly eludes to it. Also, the $25/ea price is good for members and non-members.

Capture.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I am also looking at buying an ASET scope and noticed the following in the tutorial concerning the "new" AGS scope.

I am not certain if ordering directly from AGS will yield this same style, but their site certainly eludes to it. Also, the $25/ea price is good for members and non-members.

Capture.PNG

Okay, apparently we should disregard the above information. I just placed an order today from AGS for the latest and greatest scope. When placing the order, I specifically requested the version with the removable cover. Below is a copy of the response I got from AGS.

FYI, I proceeded onward with my order and asked they simply provide the most recent version available so I have the latest & greatest. I will snap a photo or two when it arrives and post back for reference.

Names have been changed to protect the innocent...:cool2:

Subject: Handheld ASET Order

Hi Sledge,

Our web site was updated not too long ago and as such there are some missing or incorrect links, downloads, and descriptions we are currently going through to correct. I am unsure where the section you read is about the new ASET being the one with the removable cover. If you could provide that link for me, I would appreciate it so we can correct it.

The actual new version is one with brighter colors and a frame that can support areas with lots of light and areas with less light. This was done so the removable cover was not necessary. We currently do not sale the version with the removable cover any more and it is not as effective as the one we currently sale.

If you would like to proceed with the order, let me know and we can start to process it. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Mr. Fancy Pants, AJP
Research Analyst
fancypants@agslab.com

blsmith1

Rough_Rock
Okay, apparently we should disregard the above information. I just placed an order today from AGS for the latest and greatest scope. When placing the order, I specifically requested the version with the removable cover. Below is a copy of the response I got from AGS.

FYI, I proceeded onward with my order and asked they simply provide the most recent version available so I have the latest & greatest. I will snap a photo or two when it arrives and post back for reference.

Names have been changed to protect the innocent...:cool2:

Thanks everyone, for the discussion here!

To close the loop, I did end up purchasing from AGS, and the scope received is identical to the one from David Atlas and, @sledge, is consistent with what the AGS person told you. In other words, not the one with the sleeve, but just with the three colored bands. I received this:

DA_ASET.jpg

Hope that helps!

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
What do you put for Firm Name on the order from AGS? Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 4.35.46 PM.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you put for Firm Name on the order from AGS? Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 4.35.46 PM.png

LOL, so many opportunities to be funny here, but I will refrain.

On my order form I just put N/A.

appl3

Rough_Rock
Hi, how much was shipping?

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, how much was shipping?
Shipping is $13. They don't tell you when you order. I saw that I was charged $38 on my card ($25 for ASET and $13 shipping).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shipping is $13. They don't tell you when you order. I saw that I was charged $38 on my card ($25 for ASET and $13 shipping).

Mine was basically the same....$12.50 shipping.

And mine was also like the others posted. Much smaller than I anticipated as well. 20180720_100305.jpg
20180720_100314.jpg

appl3

Rough_Rock
how fast was shipping? was it sent by USPS priority mail?

Trying to see if i can get it this week to look at a stone that my jeweler ordered. If anyone is the NYC area and has an ASET scope, can someone lend it to me? Thanks!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine came via FedEx.

Shipment originated in Las Vegas IIRC. I mention this because having used FedEx in the past, you can use different forms of shipping and depending on actual distance from the origination point it may come faster than the method specified by the shipper.

Ordered 7/16/18
Processed 7/17/18
Arrived 7/20/18

kevinljs

Rough_Rock
I’m also asking the same question. Where is best to buy the Aset Scope? Ideal-scope.com sells it for usd50. While AGS sells for 25usd. And I read that the AGS is their version 2. And that they invented it. So my guess is go for AGS.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an ASET scope in order to judge light performance on some stones I'll be viewing in B&M stores. Was about to pull the trigger on buying from David Atlas' webshop, and then I found that the AGS are selling a "new handheld" ASET for about half the price. Based on photos, the two scopes do not have the same outward appearance.

Are they different, and is one better than the other? Any help is appreciated!

ASET scope from DA:
DA_ASET.jpg

VERSUS

Handheld ASET from AGS
https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/newhandheldaset
AGS_handheld_ASET.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m also asking the same question. Where is best to buy the Aset Scope? Ideal-scope.com sells it for usd50. While AGS sells for 25usd. And I read that the AGS is their version 2. And that they invented it. So my guess is go for AGS.

Garry sells scopes the ideal-scope.com site for $50 as pointed out, but I believe that is for Aussie customers. US customers are directed to his "US affiliate" Dave Atlas. Both Garry & Dave are members on this forum.

I opted to order directly from AGS due to price only. $25 + $12.50 shipping = $37.50 total. Not much savings and if you were to couple with an idealscope, loupe or other accessories I think Dave's prices would be more competitive as you won't have to pay multiple shipping fees from various companies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results