shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another “what do you think of this sapphire” thread!

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
So I’ve been after a sapphire for some time. I only plan on doing this once, so I really want it to be special.

Size and shape wise, I’m not set on anything, although I’d want minumum of 2 carats I think. For me, it’s all about the colour. I want something really saturated, that holds it’s blue (at least some of it) in less than ideal light. Lustre and sparkle would be a bonus, but for the right colour I’d sacrifice that.

I’ve found one that has caught my eye. I don’t want to post a link (in case a lurker snaps it up!) - but here are some photos. Regular pricescopers will probably know where it’s from. It’s a little over 3.5 carats, and measures just under 9.8 by 7.8mm.

Fashion shots:
DC40C234-DCE7-4FEE-B9BF-630D43EEEA9A.png
B9DB0D17-1CB4-43D2-AB87-93FBF65F0E3B.png

And shot in overcast lighting:

2AF04DE5-720F-43D4-8F85-6FE55EEFCCFF.png

So, Pricescopers. What do you think? It’s pricey, but is it worth it?

Edit: my only concern is that it might be deep... Depth is just under 6.5 mm. Does that mean it’s facing up small?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this one! Do you have a video? That would help figure out how "lively" it is. But I think overall it looks great (I prefer this color blue to anything darker, but that's just IMHO). I can't speak to size because I'm not super familiar with depth of sapphire cutting.

EDIT. I found the stone in question and there is a video that looks excellent.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I’m on a sapphire search myself (much smaller stones and budget, ha!), so I’m eager to see what the board experts have to say,
But while I wait - Are you looking for BLUE blue or blue with some purple/violet? I see some purple and grey especially in the handshot, and even the glamour shot doesn’t look very blue to me.

I have no idea about your other questions... But color wise, that’s what I’m seeing on my phone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea about your budget, but here are some others that caught my eye. I'm about 99% sure you aren't looking for color change, but it was just too pretty not to link:

https://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=10563&id=45039

https://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=11368&id=48180

https://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=10364&id=45708

I worry the first might be too dark, but his video looks really nice. the 3rd one I worry about extinction in the middle, so I'd 100% want a video.

From gemfix there are also a few:

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1288

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1311

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1312

**I worry about the 2 above being too dark, so I would ask for a video in low light.

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1303

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
^Ooh, that emerald cut! I’ve never bought from Gemfix before, but the gemstone photos on his site often look amazing. Can anyone share info re: glamour pics vs real life appearance for Gemfix compared to someone like JD?

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
I really like this one! Do you have a video? That would help figure out how "lively" it is. But I think overall it looks great (I prefer this color blue to anything darker, but that's just IMHO). I can't speak to size because I'm not super familiar with depth of sapphire cutting.

EDIT. I found the stone in question and there is a video that looks excellent.
Thanks lovedogs, really glad you liked it. I too wasn’t impressed by the video. I like this colour as well, I’ve seen too many lovely dark blue stones turn black in setting or in poor lighting. Whilst I’m under no impression that it’ll always look that blue, I still want to see home blue in poor lighting, you know?

I’m on a sapphire search myself (much smaller stones and budget, ha!), so I’m eager to see what the board experts have to say,
But while I wait - Are you looking for BLUE blue or blue with some purple/violet? I see some purple and grey especially in the handshot, and even the glamour shot doesn’t look very blue to me.

I have no idea about your other questions... But color wise, that’s what I’m seeing on my phone.

Thanks for you reply blingbunny, and good look in your search too! I’m definitely not averse to a bit of violet, but would always like more blue! Sadly, I’ve yet been able to find one that I’m confident will stay blue in poor light too

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
No idea about your budget, but here are some others that caught my eye. I'm about 99% sure you aren't looking for color change, but it was just too pretty not to link:

https://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=10563&id=45039

https://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=11368&id=48180

https://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=10364&id=45708

I worry the first might be too dark, but his video looks really nice. the 3rd one I worry about extinction in the middle, so I'd 100% want a video.

From gemfix there are also a few:

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1288

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1311

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1312

**I worry about the 2 above being too dark, so I would ask for a video in low light.

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1303

Thanks so much for these suggestions lovedogs. The second one of the litnon set is really pretty. I’ve never heard of this website before though, are they recommended?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know how important cut quality is to you, but if color trumps cut for you, The Gemstone Project on Etsy had a couple quite blue ones that caught my eye. The shop owner is a longtime PSer, I think, so she’d probably be willing to answer questions about color shifts.

Btw I do really like the stone you posted originally! Didn’t mean to be down on it at all and I love his precision cut stones generally. Just wondering if you might want more straight blue.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@MollyBlue haha I recognize the sapphire you posted! Don't worry, I'll keep hush-hush about who's selling it. ;)2 I know it comes with a certificate. I think that while that seller has other gemstones I wouldn't buy, I think that his sapphires are worth it. The color is lovely IMO, and unheated, unlike many other sapphires offered by other vendors with equivalent or other colors. I would be willing to pay $3000/ct for top color, ideally cut unheated and certified sapphire over 2 cts, if I had that kind of money on hand.

I agree that Gemfix has many sapphires that look better, but they're all heated, meaning the stone is less rare and should sell for lower price points than unheated sapphires. And for the absolutely best quality sapphires, Cushion Gem has the coveted Kashmir sapphire color. They are pricier, but this 2.33 unheated sapphire is what I recommend, as now it's on sale. They also have HD video to give you a good idea of what it would look like in person.

https://www.cushiongem.com/sapphire/233-oval-un-heated-sapphire-xsgfx

You should make your choice based on the sapphire that YOU will love the most so take the size and color you prefer into consideration.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for these suggestions lovedogs. The second one of the litnon set is really pretty. I’ve never heard of this website before though, are they recommended?

Yeah, Litnon is recommended--I thought they were on the "recommended vendor" list? If not, they should be! They are someone that Mastercut gems endorses, and I've spoken to the owner on multiple occasions about stones. He was nice about providing extra pics, and from what I've seen his pics on the website and other pics he sent were very similar. I definitely can't speak to how they look IRL because I didn't end up buying that particular stone, but I feel safe recommending them as a vendor.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only thing is to understand the returns if you don't like it. Do you have to post it internationally, can it be insured, and does the seller help you arrange the return shipping?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
^Ooh, that emerald cut! I’ve never bought from Gemfix before, but the gemstone photos on his site often look amazing. Can anyone share info re: glamour pics vs real life appearance for Gemfix compared to someone like JD?

I am just a novice but purchased a sapphire from Gemfix earlier this year. I do think the photos are accurate in the very specific light in which they’re taken, which obviously makes them look their best. I was able to visit Gemfix in person and saw the stone look to my eyes just about what it looked like in the photo. That being said, I don’t live in sunny San Diego so my stone doesn’t look like the picture in every day life. BUT Andrew made sure that I saw the stone in many lights before I purchased it so I felt like I was encouraged to see how it would look in my world. The pic of the one I purchased had some violet and that is more pronounced IRL. I’m very pleased with my stone even though it isn’t the trade ideal as it hit what I wanted within my budget (that budget is always the hard part!).

I will add that the one that first caught my eye on the web is the one I purchased so it’s not as though it looks horribly different the pictures are obviously designed to make the stone look amazing.

I do have the Gemfix picture and pictures IRL if interested.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
That looks totally gorgeous. A bit pale in hand though? And what means 'pricey? I don't know how everybody knows where gems come from? Some secret code?

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That looks totally gorgeous. A bit pale in hand though? And what means 'pricey? I don't know how everybody knows where gems come from? Some secret code?

Yes, we have a secret code, embedded in a code ring, brought to you in a cereal box...No, I'm joking. We know because we are obsessed with shopping for gems on the internet and can recognize hand shots from vendors, as well as the specific way they frame a gemstone. It's sick, but it's true.

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
Yes, we have a secret code, embedded in a code ring, brought to you in a cereal box...No, I'm joking. We know because we are obsessed with shopping for gems on the internet and can recognize hand shots from vendors, as well as the specific way they frame a gemstone. It's sick, but it's true.

This!!! :lol:

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
I am just a novice but purchased a sapphire from Gemfix earlier this year. I do think the photos are accurate in the very specific light in which they’re taken, which obviously makes them look their best. I was able to visit Gemfix in person and saw the stone look to my eyes just about what it looked like in the photo. That being said, I don’t live in sunny San Diego so my stone doesn’t look like the picture in every day life. BUT Andrew made sure that I saw the stone in many lights before I purchased it so I felt like I was encouraged to see how it would look in my world. The pic of the one I purchased had some violet and that is more pronounced IRL. I’m very pleased with my stone even though it isn’t the trade ideal as it hit what I wanted within my budget (that budget is always the hard part!).

I will add that the one that first caught my eye on the web is the one I purchased so it’s not as though it looks horribly different the pictures are obviously designed to make the stone look amazing.

I do have the Gemfix picture and pictures IRL if interested.

Hi eapj, thanks for you reply.

I would love to see your Gemfix glamour shots vs hand shots, if you don’t mind? I’ve never bought a sapphire from an online photo, so really struggling what it might look like actually in the hand. Seeing the comparison would be really helpful.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be deep but remember you're also looking at a colored stone which will be cut for color. FWIW I don't think its too deep. Personally I think its a great color but more on the violet side and thats what you're going to probably see most of if you're not in full sunlight.

So if thats going to bother you, I'd skip this and look for something bluer. However, bluer usually means more $$$.

Its really nice edge to edge and a great cut pattern.

One thing to remember is that it will likely deepen a small amount depending on how its set. Thats not a bad thing, just keep it in mind.

All colored stones shift to some degree, its nature of the beast. Its a matter of finding the shift that you like.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MollyBlue - the non-Gemfix pics are all cell phone with no filters. Two outside and one I just took under an LED lamp (and it’s as awful as this stone ever looks). It clearly likes sun.

DE7A97B4-1080-4D07-80D3-E8AC44174125.jpeg

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
It might be deep but remember you're also looking at a colored stone which will be cut for color. FWIW I don't think its too deep. Personally I think its a great color but more on the violet side and thats what you're going to probably see most of if you're not in full sunlight.

So if thats going to bother you, I'd skip this and look for something bluer. However, bluer usually means more $$$.

Its really nice edge to edge and a great cut pattern.

One thing to remember is that it will likely deepen a small amount depending on how its set. Thats not a bad thing, just keep it in mind.

All colored stones shift to some degree, its nature of the beast. Its a matter of finding the shift that you like.

Hi Arcadian - thanks for all this great advice. Something to ponder. I might look around for something a bit more blue, and drop in size to be within the same price ball park. Really glad to hear that you like the cut, as that’s what really drew me to the stone in the first place.

@MollyBlue - the non-Gemfix pics are all cell phone with no filters. Two outside and one I just took under an LED lamp (and it’s as awful as this stone ever looks). It clearly likes sun.

DE7A97B4-1080-4D07-80D3-E8AC44174125.jpeg

Eapj - thank you thank you thank you! This is really helpful. And your stone is beautiful! Even in its ‘worst’ light it still looks lovely and blue, which is exactly the kind of stone I want to end up with. Definitely don’t want a stone that ends up looking black most of the time! Thanks so much for posting, I’m going to go and look at Gemfix again.

Does anybody have any experience of using Gemfix from the UK? Thinking about ease of returns in particular.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Arcadian - thanks for all this great advice. Something to ponder. I might look around for something a bit more blue, and drop in size to be within the same price ball park. Really glad to hear that you like the cut, as that’s what really drew me to the stone in the first place.

Eapj - thank you thank you thank you! This is really helpful. And your stone is beautiful! Even in its ‘worst’ light it still looks lovely and blue, which is exactly the kind of stone I want to end up with. Definitely don’t want a stone that ends up looking black most of the time! Thanks so much for posting, I’m going to go and look at Gemfix again.

Does anybody have any experience of using Gemfix from the UK? Thinking about ease of returns in particular.

Hi Molly, unfortunately Gemfix have a spending limit for shipping for U.K. customers which is pretty low, a few hundred dollars only. I think it’s detailed somewhere on the website. I’m not sure why that is but it basically means a decent sized sapphire will cost too much. It’s a real shame, they have some lovely things!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock

OK. Got it. For us newbies, could you tell? Just a quick, BTW, this is 'XXXX'? I know it's hard earned insider wisdom, but it would help all those stumbling around in the dark here, which are probably the majority including all visitors and on-lookers.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MollyBlue - thanks! My stone is not trade ideal for sure but I didn’t want it to go black under any light and waned some sparkle. But budget was 2k and I had an existing setting to fit which limited my options so thankfully I didn’t want the more expensive trade ideal.

Good luck in your search! My only advice as a novice is get what speaks to you. That’s the fun of colored stones to me - so many great choices for so many tastes. And the vendor pics often look a bit different than IRL so return policy is key if you’re looking for a particular color.

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
Hi Molly, unfortunately Gemfix have a spending limit for shipping for U.K. customers which is pretty low, a few hundred dollars only. I think it’s detailed somewhere on the website. I’m not sure why that is but it basically means a decent sized sapphire will cost too much. It’s a real shame, they have some lovely things!

Aww what a shame snowdrop! Glad that I checked. It seems so hard for us UK based people to find really great stones. I haven’t found an equivalent of gemfix or Jeff Davies or fine water etc over here. If anyone knows of any UK based fine gem sellers, please do let me know!

MollyBlue

Rough_Rock
OK. Got it. For us newbies, could you tell? Just a quick, BTW, this is 'XXXX'? I know it's hard earned insider wisdom, but it would help all those stumbling around in the dark here, which are probably the majority including all visitors and on-lookers.

Hi Anne, I’m sorry to be so evasive with the seller. I’ve seen some really heart breaking threads before, where the poster asks for feedback on a potential purchase, only for it to be bought by someone else, presumably someone also watching the thread. I think it’s really unfair, and so I’m just holding back on the link until I decide whether I’m going to go for it or now.

If I decide against it, I’ll happily post the link here, so you can match up the photos to a seller. In the meantime, if you search for sapphire threads on this forum (it it’s sapphires you’re after) there are quite a few helpful posts listing the top sellers for sapphires that pricescopers recommend. They’re generally the same sellers for other well cut, high quality gemstones as well.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I’ve been after a sapphire for some time. I only plan on doing this once, so I really want it to be special.

Size and shape wise, I’m not set on anything, although I’d want minumum of 2 carats I think. For me, it’s all about the colour. I want something really saturated, that holds it’s blue (at least some of it) in less than ideal light. Lustre and sparkle would be a bonus, but for the right colour I’d sacrifice that.

I’ve found one that has caught my eye. I don’t want to post a link (in case a lurker snaps it up!) - but here are some photos. Regular pricescopers will probably know where it’s from. It’s a little over 3.5 carats, and measures just under 9.8 by 7.8mm.

Fashion shots:
DC40C234-DCE7-4FEE-B9BF-630D43EEEA9A.png
B9DB0D17-1CB4-43D2-AB87-93FBF65F0E3B.png

And shot in overcast lighting:

2AF04DE5-720F-43D4-8F85-6FE55EEFCCFF.png

So, Pricescopers. What do you think? It’s pricey, but is it worth it?

Edit: my only concern is that it might be deep... Depth is just under 6.5 mm. Does that mean it’s facing up small?
This looks like a beautiful stone. I have purchased a couple of stones from this vendor at a lower price point. My experience has been that the photos and videos show the stones at their best and brightest, with direct light reflecting off of the facets. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with that, because the stone will look like that at times, but the stone will also be darker than their images when not under direct light. I would ask for more photos and video in natural lighting. Even the hand shot they sent you looks to me like the stone is under direct light with light reflecting off of the facets (do I see violet in that photo?). I watched the video and couldn’t get a feel for what this stone would look like in natural lighting. Returns have been very easy with this vendor. If you do decide to purchase it, I might ask them if they would provide a return label if you don’t like it, since it’s an expensive stone.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have never bought anything from that vendor before, but in the video the sapphire looks sparkly and well cut. If I were you and had the money, I would buy it to see it in person.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I understand, people buying up recommendations from here. Sneaky! Still I'm dying to know, to see the rest of inventory.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, I understand, people buying up recommendations from here. Sneaky! Still I'm dying to know, to see the rest of inventory.

Honestly it wont take you very long. The picture style is distinctive. Most vendors have a very set protocol for how they take photos. It is always the same. This makes it very easy to know 'who is who' just from the style of the photo. You can work it out quite fast by spending more time looking, and reading. But (as unpopular as this opinion might be) it is a hollow accomplishment -- once you have mastered it you may wish you spent that time doing more meaningful things, rather than honing your online shopping skills.

voce

Ideal_Rock
As far as I know, that vendor only has a couple of sapphires, for more than $7k a piece, since they're large, and mostly sells other colored stones at much lower price points. There wouldn't be much inventory for you to see, so to speak, if you're interested in sapphire.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
OoooK. I relax....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results