shape
carat
color
clarity

Communication with David Klass?

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
It can be done faster. As you probably recall, I was sweating bullets but Amy and the rest of the DK team pulled off a deadline I thought might not happen. One of the reasons I love them and speak highly about them.
I'm just afraid of not getting the same quality with David out of town. Not to put down the abilities of the rest of the team, but he's the head guy and we chose to work with DKJ from all the great reviews about David specifically. I almost hope my ring stays in production alittle longer until he gets back.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
:clap::clap:I’m in no rush but haven’t heard back in 2 weeks so happy to know he’s enjoying himself on vacation! Well deserved!

Do you guys happen to know if everyone gets a little plastic model of their ring after the CAD? I’ve approved my CAD. Does it go directly to be cast in stone?

Thanks!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just afraid of not getting the same quality with David out of town. Not to put down the abilities of the rest of the team, but he's the head guy and we chose to work with DKJ from all the great reviews about David specifically. I almost hope my ring stays in production alittle longer until he gets back.
Specifically request what you want for QC prior to it being sent. David's eyes. A video. Pics. Etc.

If you're truly concerned, have them mail the ring to an independent appraiser. If there are any issues the ring gets sent back to DK.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap::clap:I’m in no rush but haven’t heard back in 2 weeks so happy to know he’s enjoying himself on vacation! Well deserved!

Do you guys happen to know if everyone gets a little plastic model of their ring after the CAD? I’ve approved my CAD. Does it go directly to be cast in stone?

Thanks!!!

I got a green plastic model once the CADs hit a paint we thought may work. Turns out we had several more changes and I got a revised CAD. I was in a time crunch but Amy had started making the purple wax model for casting and sent photos after the final CAD was approved. Then the ring was cast and it went through the various benches to set stones, polish, etc.

She sent me glamour shots and a video, then an invoice and once I paid a tracking number. These very last steps all happened within an hour or two on Friday acyernoon/evening. I got the ring delivered the following day (Saturday) before noon.

Again, I had a firm deadline and we made it by hours but we made it. DK personally reviewed and held the ring an extra day for finishing touches. At the time I was anxious but told Amy that was fine as I wanted quality over speed.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I'm waiting on my (hopefully) final cads now too. My stone has been there since May! But I've told them I'm in no rush. I'm glad I saw this update though, explains why things have been particularly slow the last couple weeks. I love my other ring by them, so I'm firmly in the *I can wait* club.

I am in the same boat. I got my 5th and hopefully final CAD last night and was told they are making a plastic mold and will be mailing it to me. I hadn't heard from anyone for at least a week prior to that email, but I am not in a huge rush.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
My last email from them was 13 days ago! But I also told them no rush. I need to talk Amy anyway, so I'm going to call today or tomorrow. Hoping she can send pic of stone, went straight from vender, I haven't seen it yet! Then I'll feel more patient.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You may know that David is the son of a highly respected South African diamond cutter, and one of his first jobs as a young man was sorting and grading freshly cut diamonds. So yes, David knows a well cut diamond when he sees one!!!

The story I heard was that about 20 years ago David came to the USA with a bunch of gems in his backpack, and somehow met Amy who agreed to help him sell them. So that's how DKJ got its start, and Amy has been an integral part of the Company since the very beginning. My impression is they are both equally responsible for its success. David told me rather ruefully onetime that Amy can be quite the taskmaster. If any piece comes back from their jewelers and doesn't meet Amy's quality standards, she says melt it down and start again...and that's what they do!

So please don't feel short changed if you find yourself communicating with Amy, you are in very good hands!!!

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
You may know that David is the son of a highly respected South African diamond cutter, and one of his first jobs as a young man was sorting and grading freshly cut diamonds. So yes, David knows a well cut diamond when he sees one!!!

The story I heard was that about 20 years ago David came to the USA with a bunch of gems in his backpack, and somehow met Amy who agreed to help him sell them. So that's how DKJ got its start, and Amy has been an integral part of the Company since the very beginning. My impression is they are both equally responsible for its success. David told me rather ruefully onetime that Amy can be quite the taskmaster. If any piece comes back from their jewelers and doesn't meet Amy's quality standards, she says melt it down and start again...and that's what they do!

So please don't feel short changed if you find yourself communicating with Amy, you are in very good hands!!!

Thank you for the backstory! I'm new to jewelry world and custom design jewelry so i didn't know any of their success story. I chose to work them just based off recommendations and the fact they are local to my area.
My concern comes from an issue David saw in my ring on the plastic model. He pointed it out to Amy over the phone so I know she's aware of it. He didn't seem distressed over it, just that they needed to address it. When I was going over the final details to start production with Amy, she brushed it off and said it was no problem. I'm hoping she meant that to be reassuring it would be fine in the end and not dismissive of addressing the issue.

Edited to add I am in no way upset with the ultimate design of my ring. It was just alot harder than I expected to get to this point. (I went through 8 or 9 CADs)
After reading this thread I have a better understanding of just how many different projects they have going at the same time. So now I can see how Amy wouldn't have time to answer all the questions I threw at her. But along the way it made some of my concerns feel ignored. And I still think that dragged out my design process because we had to adjust the same details multiple times.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your experiences and story @prs. I enjoyed reading that about DK and Amy.

And @ellebelle, I think part of the process of custom building involves some low points when you have a more complex design that requires multiple CAD revisions. As you may recall, I was feeling anxious in my own journey and I advised Amy of such. She was quick to address the issue and gave me the reassurance I needed. Additionally, we shared mobile numbers and it really helped expedite the process as we'd just text back & forth as it was convenient for us. This may be a worthwhile thing to (respectfully) discuss with Amy.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That's a great story! Thanks for sharing!! :)

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
I got a green plastic model once the CADs hit a paint we thought may work. Turns out we had several more changes and I got a revised CAD. I was in a time crunch but Amy had started making the purple wax model for casting and sent photos after the final CAD was approved. Then the ring was cast and it went through the various benches to set stones, polish, etc.

She sent me glamour shots and a video, then an invoice and once I paid a tracking number. These very last steps all happened within an hour or two on Friday acyernoon/evening. I got the ring delivered the following day (Saturday) before noon.

Again, I had a firm deadline and we made it by hours but we made it. DK personally reviewed and held the ring an extra day for finishing touches. At the time I was anxious but told Amy that was fine as I wanted quality over speed.

LOL I'm glad yours made it right in time! I was on the edge of my seat for a bit.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@sledge I just think we had different experiences working with her. I did get her cell number but was never successful at reaching her that way, call or txt. And we're on the same time zone. My BF had better luck on her cell and got some responses between emails. Its just been a triggering experience for me because I really struggle with asserting myself and my desires and then feeling defeated when it doesn't work out.
Either way, my involvement in my ring is done and the mens project is almost done too.
Again, in spite of it all, I'm really excited these projects. I just wasn't expecting it to be so taxing along the way.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
:mrgreen2:@sledge I guess I skipped a couple steps as I approved the CAD and my ring is being set ? Lol? I guess I don’t get a print out! Which is fine as my fiancé is getting really annoyed at me that this is taking so long to replace my original ring. My ring will be ready next week!!! Then I can FINALLY anounce my engagement!!

I’ve already booked my venue, hired my caterer, booked my photographer, and hired a dessert cart and I don’t have my ring yet!!! Can’t wait to make it official!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....did I miss your CAD drawings? Did you post them up here? Just curious the ring design, and if they were simple enough that Amy and DK didn't think they needed a plastic model. Mine was complex and I had lots of revisions (even some after the plastic ring). So I think that is why I got plastic and wax models. Technically the wax models was just photographed.

I am glad you are nearing the end of the process. I'm sure you and your fiancee are anxious to have it all done. Good luck, and I hope it goes smoothly! Please post pics when done!!

FYI, we've booked a venue, reserved a caterer (still need to do food tasting to finalize menu) and have started interviewing photographers. Not sure if she wants a desert tray. I know we are doing a bar and I'm trying to arrange for our favorite drink....frozen crown & cokes. Basically spiked slushies. So that is my planned desert of choice, assuming I get to drink any that day. :cool2:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen2:@sledge I guess I skipped a couple steps as I approved the CAD and my ring is being set ? Lol?

I've had DK make many rings for me and I've only gotten a plastic model once. Generally I can approve from the CAD so don't need the plastic. It is necessarily part of the process, is what I guess I am saying.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had DK make many rings for me and I've only gotten a plastic model once. Generally I can approve from the CAD so don't need the plastic. It is necessarily part of the process, is what I guess I am saying.

Makes sense. I wasn't expecting a plastic model at all until Amy told me she was sending me one for review. I had revisions after the plastic model. And then she did the purple wax model of those last revisions and photographed and sent to me which I approved before she started actual casting.

I'm fairly certain I got plastic and wax models because the design was more complex than some and took so many revisions in CAD to get to that point. With the curves and twists, it helped considerably seeing 3D models.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Makes sense. I wasn't expecting a plastic model at all until Amy told me she was sending me one for review. I had revisions after the plastic model. And then she did the purple wax model of those last revisions and photographed and sent to me which I approved before she started actual casting.

I'm fairly certain I got plastic and wax models because the design was more complex than some and took so many revisions in CAD to get to that point. With the curves and twists, it helped considerably seeing 3D models.

Lol yeah yours is super intricate! And worth all the work!! Mine is super simple and i probably should have not even gotten a custom setting Lol!! I had no idea what i was getting myself into.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone heard back lately?

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
I heard from Amy on Saturday. We went over final details for my band and she said casting would start on Monday (yesterday).:appl:

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
I spoke to Amy today. David had been responding to my emails but kept forgetting to answer certain questions so I figured I’d just and get my answers. She said David is in Thailand but they are communicating on all projects. Honestly, I feel like I’m in very good hands with Amy. I love her!

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
I heard back too! This is my update:

"The ring is still setting, it looks gorgeous so far. I hope to have it at the beginning on next week."

What does setting mean? Is that same as casting!?:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone heard back lately?

@whitewave do you know how thick your shank bands are? (I'm not sure if i'm describing it correctly?)
I love how thin yours are and i'm not sure if mine will be that thin. My shank bands are 1.5 mm.

Thanks!!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I heard back too! This is my update:

"The ring is still setting, it looks gorgeous so far. I hope to have it at the beginning on next week."

What does setting mean? Is that same as casting!?:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

Casting is when they cast the metal, setting is when they are setting stones. Sounds like it won't be long!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've text and talked with Amy a few times this past week. Waiting on fresh CADs for my girls wedding band.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Casting is when they cast the metal, setting is when they are setting stones. Sounds like it won't be long!

Bingo!

Seems like they took a few days to set all the stones on my girls ring but she had pave, channel and the center stone. Then some final polishing afterwards that took another day or so.

I'd say you are within a week. Good times!

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Bingo!

Seems like they took a few days to set all the stones on my girls ring but she had pave, channel and the center stone. Then some final polishing afterwards that took another day or so.

I'd say you are within a week. Good times!

It's the end of the week now!! lol where is it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave do you know how thick your shank bands are? (I'm not sure if i'm describing it correctly?)
I love how thin yours are and i'm not sure if mine will be that thin. My shank bands are 1.5 mm.

Thanks!!

Oh sorry!! I just saw this. Mine are each 2mm

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
It's the end of the week now!! lol where is it!
I was at DKJ in person yesterday and thats the only reason I found out both my rings were done. I think Amy is alittle behind on updates because she still hasn't sent me the glamour shots.
I'm picking up my men's ring on Monday! My boyfriend will being picking up my ring but I don't know how long he will make me wait for the proposal. :oops2:

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
I was at DKJ in person yesterday and thats the only reason I found out both my rings were done. I think Amy is alittle behind on updates because she still hasn't sent me the glamour shots.
I'm picking up my men's ring on Monday! My boyfriend will being picking up my ring but I don't know how long he will make me wait for the proposal. :oops2:

Thanks for the update!!

LOL!! Same thing here... my fiancé botched the original proposal and I said to let it go by he wants to “redo” it. Totally not necessary, but we’ll see how it goes!! Lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results