shape
carat
color
clarity

With the help of everyone here, final choice between these 2!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting... They have extraordinarily few stones in the larger sizes: filtering 2.5ct+, VS2+, F+, and EX+ yields only ~50 specimens in total, compared to several hundred on other sites. As it sounds like the upgrade policy is a significant draw for you @Steve88 - you may want to inquire into their policies on bringing in stones not listed on the site (perhaps also whether they plan to expand their selection to other sources/manufacturers?) - to get some idea of what your upgrade to selection might be in future...

The stone you are considering will not be easy to resell on the secondary market without significant loss, which makes upgrade/buy back/trade-in policies all the more valuable.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are a new business. Been operating for about 9 months. Located in SC. My guess is no store front, nor in-house inventory to keep startup costs low.

Parcel & Stone
2 Office Park Ct STE 103
Columbia, SC 29223-5948
(800) 212-1192

BBB File Opened:
05/10/2018
Business Started: 10/05/2017
Business Started Locally: 10/05/2017
Business Incorporated: 10/05/2017 in SC
Type of Entity: Limited Liability Company (LLC)
Business Management: Mrs. Christina Dwyer, Marketing Manager

Link to specific diamond:
https://www.parcelandstone.com/diamond/Round/1.40-carat-D-color-VS1-clarity-stockNo-100727698506/

Here are my concerns:
  • The 60-day return policy indicates special orders may require a re-stocking fee. Typically items not stocked in-house are "special orders". They need to clarify if your stone is a "special order" and if so, what are the re-stocking fees associated with returning it should you not like it (for any reason).
  • The upgrade policy does say 110% after a 1 year waiting period as already noted. It never clarifies the criteria to be qualified as an "upgrade". I'm assuming they VERBALLY told you that $1+ above initial price qualified you for the upgrade policy. Did they mention the 1 year waiting period? Are they willing to put all of it in writing for you?
  • Like life in general, no business can predict their life expectancy; however, statistically speaking the highest percentage of failures are small business startups. That said, how much value is being put into the upgrade policy of this purchase? It's a reasonable assumption they either won't be around, or won't have ample stock to service your future needs.
  • What happens if they go bye-bye? Do they have any sister companies that will honor their upgrade policy? Is this also in writing? If so, you need to contact the other company and validate the information.
  • There is about ZERO chance I do a wire transfer with someone I don't know, nor people in the diamond community don't know and that are startups with no office front. Yadav price was $10,742 using a credit card or $10,581 using wire. I'd make Parcel & Stone match the credit card price so you can have protection against fraud.
  • What advantage do they offer? So far, they MIGHT have a better return and upgrade policy, pending their answers to the above questions I posed. Their price is higher, and to price match they want you to wire money which is more risky on your part. Oh yeah, they won't get you images either (although I'm not sure Yadav will produce either, but at this point they are proceeding on like they can). Can Parcel & Stone reserve the stone? To me, that is the only advantage left they could offer and you haven't clarified that yet. But then again, why reserve it other than to get your financial affairs in order as they can't produce images anyhow.
Have you considered going back to Yadav and telling them you found the stone elsewhere that is offering a longer return period, better upgrade policy and will HOLD the stone for you while you decide? Yadav might counter back a special offer to you (either price reduction, or possibly agree to the same terms). If they modify their terms, you need to get it in WRITING.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fantastic summary from @sledge with more on the practical side of concerns than I'd thought of.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
I bought my stone from them!! Is Jonathan helping you out?

did you get yours from parcel and stone?? I had a random online person help me via chat

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
They are a new business. Been operating for about 9 months. Located in SC. My guess is no store front, nor in-house inventory to keep startup costs low.

Parcel & Stone
2 Office Park Ct STE 103
Columbia, SC 29223-5948
(800) 212-1192

BBB File Opened:
05/10/2018
Business Started: 10/05/2017
Business Started Locally: 10/05/2017
Business Incorporated: 10/05/2017 in SC
Type of Entity: Limited Liability Company (LLC)
Business Management: Mrs. Christina Dwyer, Marketing Manager

Link to specific diamond:
https://www.parcelandstone.com/diamond/Round/1.40-carat-D-color-VS1-clarity-stockNo-100727698506/

Here are my concerns:
  • The 60-day return policy indicates special orders may require a re-stocking fee. Typically items not stocked in-house are "special orders". They need to clarify if your stone is a "special order" and if so, what are the re-stocking fees associated with returning it should you not like it (for any reason).
  • The upgrade policy does say 110% after a 1 year waiting period as already noted. It never clarifies the criteria to be qualified as an "upgrade". I'm assuming they VERBALLY told you that $1+ above initial price qualified you for the upgrade policy. Did they mention the 1 year waiting period? Are they willing to put all of it in writing for you?
  • Like life in general, no business can predict their life expectancy; however, statistically speaking the highest percentage of failures are small business startups. That said, how much value is being put into the upgrade policy of this purchase? It's a reasonable assumption they either won't be around, or won't have ample stock to service your future needs.
  • What happens if they go bye-bye? Do they have any sister companies that will honor their upgrade policy? Is this also in writing? If so, you need to contact the other company and validate the information.
  • There is about ZERO chance I do a wire transfer with someone I don't know, nor people in the diamond community don't know and that are startups with no office front. Yadav price was $10,742 using a credit card or $10,581 using wire. I'd make Parcel & Stone match the credit card price so you can have protection against fraud.
  • What advantage do they offer? So far, they MIGHT have a better return and upgrade policy, pending their answers to the above questions I posed. Their price is higher, and to price match they want you to wire money which is more risky on your part. Oh yeah, they won't get you images either (although I'm not sure Yadav will produce either, but at this point they are proceeding on like they can). Can Parcel & Stone reserve the stone? To me, that is the only advantage left they could offer and you haven't clarified that yet. But then again, why reserve it other than to get your financial affairs in order as they can't produce images anyhow.
Have you considered going back to Yadav and telling them you found the stone elsewhere that is offering a longer return period, better upgrade policy and will HOLD the stone for you while you decide? Yadav might counter back a special offer to you (either price reduction, or possibly agree to the same terms). If they modify their terms, you need to get it in WRITING.

Wow lots of good points. I haven’t thought about most of these concerns. But you’re right, what good is a great upgrade policy if the company disappears.

Regarding the wire issue, I’m almost definitely wiring the money to get the discounted price but it is worrying that there isn’t a protection for fraud.

Maybe I should steer clear from a company I’ve never heard of just to save a couple of bucks.

So back to the original dealer, would you guys consider Yadav Jewelers safe to purchase from? I see that most diamonds from rarecarat.com are from Yadav or Fourmine

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
did you get yours from parcel and stone?? I had a random online person help me via chat

I did! My boyfriend is really into start ups and new ways doing business so he (we) purchased from Parcel and Stone by way of Rare Carat. We were not smart enough to price match and pretty much bought a diamond within 48 hours. I think I could have found a better deal, but he really just wanted to speed through the process. (little did he know we'd be waiting for the setting process for months LOL) My boyfriend was very happy with the service and is actually working/trying to set something up business wise with Rare Carat.

I did bring my diamond to another well known diamond guy ( I don't know if i'm allowed to name-names, but he's like the big diamond guy on reddit) to look at. And he said the price was good for the quality of the diamond.

I'm not going go be trading in my diamond so the upgrade policy doesn't really affect me. If I ever do upgrade, I'll keep this one too!

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yadav used to be diamondsonweb - they've been around for a long time. I know a couple of people who bought from them in their prior incarnation... haven't heard much in recent years. Buy with credit card if even a little hesitant - it isn't even $200 extra and any card reward programmes eat further into that differential.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Wow lots of good points. I haven’t thought about most of these concerns. But you’re right, what good is a great upgrade policy if the company disappears.

Regarding the wire issue, I’m almost definitely wiring the money to get the discounted price but it is worrying that there isn’t a protection for fraud.

Maybe I should steer clear from a company I’ve never heard of just to save a couple of bucks.

So back to the original dealer, would you guys consider Yadav Jewelers safe to purchase from? I see that most diamonds from rarecarat.com are from Yadav or Fourmine

I probably wouldn't go with P&S because of the upgrade policy, but I assure you they are not a fraudulent company if that matters to you!

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Yadav used to be diamondsonweb - they've been around for a long time. I know a couple of people who bought from them in their prior incarnation... haven't heard much in recent years. Buy with credit card if even a little hesitant - it isn't even $200 extra and any card reward programmes eat further into that differential.

Is that the preferred method over credit cards? I don’t have any credit cards that I can use to reap the benefit but I can apply for one tomorrow just for this purchase.

I probably wouldn't go with P&S because of the upgrade policy, but I assure you they are not a fraudulent company if that matters to you!

Okay no problem! Thanks for the feedback. But I’m confused as they do have a really good upgrade policy. And even a 60 day return vs 30 day returns for most. They were willing to match the price of Yadav

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not suggesting P&S as fraudulent, nor Yadav for that matter. But as @yssie pointed out, the worse case is you spend $200 extra for a bunch of additional protection.

This is literally less than 2% of the purchase price that protects 98% of the dollars. It's silly to take the risk for such small reward. Also as noted, you can get free miles or some other reward using your credit card that exceeds the $200 cost.

Oddly enough when my grandfather passed I paid for the funeral using a card. I had the cash but I figured he would want me to get something out of the bad situation. I'm still sitting on those points/rewards by the way. I might use them for part of the honeymoon trip. It seems like something he would have done if he was still here.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Definitely not suggesting P&S as fraudulent, nor Yadav for that matter. But as @yssie pointed out, the worse case is you spend $200 extra for a bunch of additional protection.

This is literally less than 2% of the purchase price that protects 98% of the dollars. It's silly to take the risk for such small reward. Also as noted, you can get free miles or some other reward using your credit card that exceeds the $200 cost.

Oddly enough when my grandfather passed I paid for the funeral using a card. I had the cash but I figured he would want me to get something out of the bad situation. I'm still sitting on those points/rewards by the way. I might use them for part of the honeymoon trip. It seems like something he would have done if he was still here.

I'm also really big on Credit Card points :) I always make big purchases on AMEX and although their policies are not what they used to be, they still go to bat for you if anything does go wrong.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
I'm also really big on Credit Card points :) I always make big purchases on AMEX and although their policies are not what they used to be, they still go to bat for you if anything does go wrong.

Ah I’m the exact opposite. I had bad experience with CCs in the past so I don’t currently have any. I think I’ll buy the diamond tomorrow via wire and just inspect it when I receive it. They do not have any ASET or idealscope images

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the draw with P&S? Did you even go back to Yadav and try to counter negotiate some of the terms? At least with Yadav, they are going to provide you images. Not to mention, they seem like the less risky company to work with and buy from IMO.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, you could always buy from Yadav, or maybe put a small deposit on the stone to hold it while they produce the ASET and IS images. Assuming those images come back good, you finish the transaction. If not, you try to find another stone through them.

A final thought. In regards to credit cards, I am sorry about your bad experience. I don't know the details, nor are they any of my business. In today's world, I would encourage you to CAREFULLY utilize at least one credit card to build your electronic credit rating footprint. These are called revolving accounts in the credit world, and your ability to maintain low or zero dollar balances, usually less than 25% utilization, with large credit limits will help boost your credit score and appear more credit worthy when you go to buy a home, car, etc.

I know this isn't a finance or credit card forum, just trying to help you a little.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
What is the draw with P&S? Did you even go back to Yadav and try to counter negotiate some of the terms? At least with Yadav, they are going to provide you images. Not to mention, they seem like the less risky company to work with and buy from IMO.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, you could always buy from Yadav, or maybe put a small deposit on the stone to hold it while they produce the ASET and IS images. Assuming those images come back good, you finish the transaction. If not, you try to find another stone through them.

A final thought. In regards to credit cards, I am sorry about your bad experience. I don't know the details, nor are they any of my business. In today's world, I would encourage you to CAREFULLY utilize at least one credit card to build your electronic credit rating footprint. These are called revolving accounts in the credit world, and your ability to maintain low or zero dollar balances, usually less than 25% utilization, with large credit limits will help boost your credit score and appear more credit worthy when you go to buy a home, car, etc.

I know this isn't a finance or credit card forum, just trying to help you a little.

Oh I’m sorry I should’ve specified. I meant that I was going with Yadav instead haha and as for credit score, I’m very much in the high 700s and already own a home! I just don’t like the idea of using borrowed money but I guess in this scenario I would pay it off right away after the diamond purchase.

I’m a novice when it comes to credit cards. Is there a big reward or points program that I can take advantage of for a purchase this big??

Thanks again @sledge. I appreciate all your advice so far

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Oh I’m sorry I should’ve specified. I meant that I was going with Yadav instead haha and as for credit score, I’m very much in the high 700s and already own a home! I just don’t like the idea of using borrowed money but I guess in this scenario I would pay it off right away after the diamond purchase.

I’m a novice when it comes to credit cards. Is there a big reward or points program that I can take advantage of for a purchase this big??

Do you travel a lot? My favorites are Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire! ( get one or the other as a lot of the perks are duplicated) ..

I dunno if this helps or not but when I purchased from P&S, the guy took many videos and picture of the stone and texted them to me.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like you are doing well on the credit front.

It's really personal preference. I have a couple of cards but keep zero balances. I like to use them for online shopping or when on vacation or basically any place that I'm not familiar with and know. I'm weird this way with paying bills also. I love bill pay services, but only when I can control them from one of my USAA accounts. I never ever sign up for the auto-pay with each vendor. I like the convenience but like to maintain control over when money leaves, etc.

As far as good reward programs, there are a bunch. I have an AmEx that has nice cash rewards. I have a MasterCard through Southwest and rack up quite a few airline points in the process. Also I have a VISA that is tied into my Hilton rewards membership that helps me earn 2x and 3x points (sometimes more, depends on the promos). That one has paid dividends for me. But in one year I was traveling so much that I managed to go from entry level to their highest level, diamond status, in about 6 months, lol.

butters88

Rough_Rock
Steve are you Australia based? Amex Velocity platinum is what I use. 60k bonus points available under referral scheme sign up (extra 10k over the standard bonus). Let me know if you want a referral link. You get a free domestic return flight included too, among other benefits.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you are doing well on the credit front.

It's really personal preference. I have a couple of cards but keep zero balances. I like to use them for online shopping or when on vacation or basically any place that I'm not familiar with and know. I'm weird this way with paying bills also. I love bill pay services, but only when I can control them from one of my USAA accounts. I never ever sign up for the auto-pay with each vendor. I like the convenience but like to maintain control over when money leaves, etc.

As far as good reward programs, there are a bunch. I have an AmEx that has nice cash rewards. I have a MasterCard through Southwest and rack up quite a few airline points in the process. Also I have a VISA that is tied into my Hilton rewards membership that helps me earn 2x and 3x points (sometimes more, depends on the promos). That one has paid dividends for me. But in one year I was traveling so much that I managed to go from entry level to their highest level, diamond status, in about 6 months, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I might have to go with a wire this time only because it’ll take a few days for a credit card to get approved and sent to me. I’m working on a tight window so wire might be the fastest.

For anyone that has wired over money, has anyone had issues? Specially using a wire to purchase from Yadav

Steve are you Australia based? Amex Velocity platinum is what I use. 60k bonus points available under referral scheme sign up (extra 10k over the standard bonus). Let me know if you want a referral link. You get a free domestic return flight included too, among other benefits.

Sorry US based!

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Okay the diamond is ordered! I went and used my debit card instead of wire JUST in case I run into any problems. I found a promo code online for $100 off so it was basically the same as the wire price.

Will keep everyone updated! Special thanks to everyone for helping me with this decision

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay the diamond is ordered! I went and used my debit card instead of wire JUST in case I run into any problems. I found a promo code online for $100 off so it was basically the same as the wire price.

Will keep everyone updated! Special thanks to everyone for helping me with this decision

Wow, after all the indecision you whipped that card out and pulled the trigger without hesitation. Kudos. Can't wait to see the stone. Pics, pics, pics! LOL

On a serious note, you may check with your bank to see what kind of protection they offer by allowing you to use your debit card. There is some protection there I do know. Hopefully you will not need it, but good info to know just in case. .

FYI, I'd stay on Yadav about getting you the ASET and IS images. Once you have them, post so we can review. Hopefully it all works out, but if not, easier to catch BEFORE they mount & ship to you.

Lasly, I'd recommend picking up your own ASET and IS scopes. Possibly a H&A viewer too if you wish. But the first two help determine performance. I recommend this to verify the stone when it arrives, but also because I have a feeling they may give you fluff on those images. Hopefully not though.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Wow, after all the indecision you whipped that card out and pulled the trigger without hesitation. Kudos. Can't wait to see the stone. Pics, pics, pics! LOL

On a serious note, you may check with your bank to see what kind of protection they offer by allowing you to use your debit card. There is some protection there I do know. Hopefully you will not need it, but good info to know just in case. .

FYI, I'd stay on Yadav about getting you the ASET and IS images. Once you have them, post so we can review. Hopefully it all works out, but if not, easier to catch BEFORE they mount & ship to you.

Lasly, I'd recommend picking up your own ASET and IS scopes. Possibly a H&A viewer too if you wish. But the first two help determine performance. I recommend this to verify the stone when it arrives, but also because I have a feeling they may give you fluff on those images. Hopefully not though.

Yup! They’re located on the west coast so waiting for their customer service side to open so I can follow up on the ASET IS images I requested yesterday!

I’m a bit on edge since this is probably the biggest purchase I’ve made (excluding the house) and I really do hope everything goes smoothly with Yadav. Their google and yelp ratings seem to be excellent so we’ll see how it goes!

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
WOOOO HOOO CONGRATS! Can't wait to hear about the stone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am another with credit cards for hotel and airline points. We've never had a balance. We charge everything on the cards (other than bills that are drafted from our account) and pay each card in full so never pay interest. You have a full list of all your expenditures for the month plus the protection a CC gives you should there be a conflict with a vendor.

Good luck with your diamond! I hope they get your ASET to you quickly and will give you a quick refund should the diamond not be great.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
I am another with credit cards for hotel and airline points. We've never had a balance. We charge everything on the cards (other than bills that are drafted from our account) and pay each card in full so never pay interest. You have a full list of all your expenditures for the month plus the protection a CC gives you should there be a conflict with a vendor.

Good luck with your diamond! I hope they get your ASET to you quickly and will give you a quick refund should the diamond not be great.

I just got an ideal scope image. Can you guys please help me evaluate??

Attachments

• 92087A73-9E35-4BF8-8878-F73280F62611.jpeg
    92087A73-9E35-4BF8-8878-F73280F62611.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 28

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like leakage in the center or bad lighting. I need to see the GIA report.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results