shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for gem shopping in Bangkok?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will be in Bangkok for a weekend later in the month. There's no jewellery fair ongoing this time so I would have time to go round looking for gemstones. Would you have a favourite shop or trader there to recommend?

I will be staying at the Silom area, nearby Jewellery Trade Centre, which has many shops. Recommendations there would be good as I doubt I would have the time and patience to check in at everyone of them!

Nothing in particular I'm looking for, but would be interested in things I can't really get in Myanmar. Such as paraibas, mahenge spinels, deeper gold or white SSPs, Tahitians, unheated sapphires always welcome :)

Thanks in Advance!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so envious of you. I have no idea where to shop.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Isn’t Jeff Davies in BKK?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pearls try Cees if he’s in BkK. Or if you will be at the SG fair I can help u ask my usual pearl vendors if they have any nice stuff or to specially bring over. What quality are you looking for in the SSPs? Extraordinary or just normal? If the former, need element of luck and of course the right budget.

Cees you can contact via IG: https://www.instagram.com/cees_van_oije

My GSSPs. Extraordinary overtones, both pink AND greens.
5E3E19B9-2D1D-4A17-BDF5-B988A221A82C.jpeg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pearls try Cees if he’s in BkK. Or if you will be at the SG fair I can help u ask my usual pearl vendors if they have any nice stuff or to specially bring over. What quality are you looking for in the SSPs? Extraordinary or just normal? If the former, need element of luck and of course the right budget.

Cees you can contact via IG: https://www.instagram.com/cees_van_oije

My GSSPs. Extraordinary overtones, both pink AND greens.
5E3E19B9-2D1D-4A17-BDF5-B988A221A82C.jpeg

Very nice! Are they Australian SSPs?

I won't be in Sg during the fair. Will reach out to Cees if he has a retail front there in Bkk.

I don't have anything specific to get so whatever takes my fancy at the right price point.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
There was a guy who used to post here often called Lee Little, who’s based in Bangkok. He has a shop called Leesgems on eBay. The shop doesn’t sell high end goods but I believe he said he does tours to the Bangkok gem markets. Maybe if you contacted him through his shop, he would take you to find the good stuff given that you’re a Pricescoper and know what you want.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! Are they Australian SSPs?

I won't be in Sg during the fair. Will reach out to Cees if he has a retail front there in Bkk.

I don't have anything specific to get so whatever takes my fancy at the right price point.

No idea. Think maybe Philippines. I don’t really care about where my pearls are from so long as they look nice. o_O

And Jeff Davies I guess. Don’t know anyone else based there. I know Cees has contacts to find colored stones. You could ask for recs if you meet him.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There was a guy who used to post here often called Lee Little, who’s based in Bangkok. He has a shop called Leesgems on eBay. The shop doesn’t sell high end goods but I believe he said he does tours to the Bangkok gem markets. Maybe if you contacted him through his shop, he would take you to find the good stuff given that you’re a Pricescoper and know what you want.

Thanks, I've seen his auctions before and may even have bought something from him online years ago :) I'm not so keen on a middle man and would rather just go direct to the retailers if possible. Less expectation of having to buy something from that session.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No idea. Think maybe Philippines. I don’t really care about where my pearls are from so long as they look nice. o_O

And Jeff Davies I guess. Don’t know anyone else based there. I know Cees has contacts to find colored stones. You could ask for recs if you meet him.

Same goes for me, on provenance :) I recall seeing Seaglow's strand IRL from the Ph, it had lovely green overtones. Really unique and with so much depth. Not checked out one with pink and green. Gotta remem to ask her, she's the SSP expert!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, I've seen his auctions before and may even have bought something from him online years ago :) I'm not so keen on a middle man and would rather just go direct to the retailers if possible. Less expectation of having to buy something from that session.

Totally get it, hope you furrow out some good contacts, have a fruitful buying trip with the dealers and then come back to teach us! Have you ever bought from Sally at Heart of Water before? If you have, maybe she would share some contacts with you. No more ideas from me!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
I don't know where to go, but avoid the street-workers that drag you to their 'brothers' shop for special deals. That I heard from a friend is a common tourist-rip-off, even with robbery included.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just be careful. You may want to retain an independent appraiser before you make a purchase. Narrow it down so he can come along to evaluate your finds before you purchase. Don't use other retailers to do this as you may not get a straight answer.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Will check them out if I can, thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results